What's new

best silicon additive.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
what is the best silicon product you have used? is there any which stand out in performance or are they all the same?

i was looking at house and gardens amino/silicon additive but its pretty pricey for 1ltr..

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use the AN Rhino Skin and have had good results,not a bad price tag either,compared to some of thier other additives

BudToker

Veteran
Pro-Tekt

hy199infopic1.jpg

-BT :smokeit:

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
protekt is some of the cheapest and some of the strongest silica on the market i vote protekt never will it come out my garden.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I thought Silicon was the stuff they filled breast implants with...:snowkiss:

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I discovered Growmore's Silo-Tec 0-0-3, 7.5% SiO2. Derived from mono-silicic acid & Potassium Silicate, so it ain't organic--but one of the few soluble silicate products with mono-silicic acid (a form of silica which the plant can immediately intake...unlike Potassium Silicate). I paid $30 for 2.5 gallons and only need 2.5 ml/gallon.

Of course if you are 100% organic, the Fossil Shell Flour (food grade DE) would be the best alternative...loaded with amorphous silica. Just mix it with your potting soil at the rate of 5-10% by volume.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Someone can't take a joke...lol

dakine1

haha. that joke was very helpful.

Some good forms of silicon listed for sure... But I haven't seen anything close to the results of fasilitor from aptus. 3ml per 5gallons too. loooovin' it.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Of course if you are 100% organic, the Fossil Shell Flour (food grade DE) would be the best alternative...loaded with amorphous silica. Just mix it with your potting soil at the rate of 5-10% by volume.

I'm not sure where people are getting these EXCESSIVELY high DE soil ratios...

5-10% of medium volume? No way. DE? NEVER.

I only use AT MOST 1/3c per 1.5 cu ft - and even that is high if you have any other forms present..

dank.Frank

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I'm not sure where people are getting these EXCESSIVELY high DE soil ratios...

5-10% of medium volume? No way. DE? NEVER.

I only use AT MOST 1/3c per 1.5 cu ft - and even that is high if you have any other forms present..

dank.Frank

To each their own Frank, but Bonsai potting soils can have 50-80% DE--and field application rates for DE are in the 100-500 kg/ha range-and this is for "silica"--not pesticide or water retention purposes.

Agripower (Australian company) published a booklet titled, "A Review of Silicon and its Benefits for Plants" (no longer on their website...but is available here--http://www.scribd.com/doc/60266650/A-Review-of-Silicon-and-Its-Benefits-for-Plants

However their Beijing Conference papers is available (similar information but not as detailed as the above booklet) http://agripower.com.au/doc/2_Beijing_conference_Paper_English.pdf and concluded--

"AgriPower Silica (mostly diatomaceous earth) was included in a strawberry demonstration trial in Queensland, Australia at 250, 500 and 1000kg/ha. The AgriPower Silica was applied in addition to the normal fertiliser application (control) and was found to yield significant improvements in growth and yield compared to the control, with the following observations:
- Significantly increased root development/root mass by 100-200%
- Increase in flowers, foliage, crown size and fruit
- Brix was increased and maintained later in the season
- Increase in survival rates of runners
- Significantly increased soil moisture while not being water logged.
- Ability to increase uptake of key nutrients (N, P, K) during wet period when nutrients are typically leached away from the root zone
- Increased yields by an average of 35%
Recommended application rates would be from 200 - 500kg / ha pre plant depending on the soil condition."

Check out the graph (figure 3) on page 4, it charts increase in nutrient retention for soils amended with 5% Agripower Silica...including potting soil.

Check out the graph (figure 11) on page 14 of the Beijing paper, it charts extractable Si as a function of application rate--the sweet spot is 500kg.

Your rate of 1/3 cup per 1.5 cubic feet may be beneficial...but I submit, it probably would be more beneficial at 5-10%. Got any science to suggest 5-10% by volume is harmful? I would be greatly interested!

BTW, both these papers are part of my permanent library--as there is not a wealth of information discussing DE & silica.

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
haha. that joke was very helpful.

Some good forms of silicon listed for sure... But I haven't seen anything close to the results of fasilitor from aptus. 3ml per 5gallons too. loooovin' it.

interesting for sure does it say how much silicon is in it?

as I've found something way cheaper and it's the most bio available form of silica silicic acid just like fasilator

stumbled across it by mistake it's not available in my country

15ml equates to 375mg of silicic acid dunno what ppm that equates to

$59 for 2litres or $110 for a gallon

peace

ttaylor

s I've found something way cheaper and it's the most bio available form of silica silicic acid just like fasilator

stumbled across it by mistake it's not available in my country

china somehow? care to share the name?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I discovered Growmore's Silo-Tec 0-0-3, 7.5% SiO2. Derived from mono-silicic acid & Potassium Silicate, so it ain't organic--but one of the few soluble silicate products with mono-silicic acid (a form of silica which the plant can immediately intake...unlike Potassium Silicate). I paid $30 for 2.5 gallons and only need 2.5 ml/gallon....

Roll it...you are not referring to this product with mono-silicic acid?