What's new

Best potting mix available from Bunnings for outdoor grow.

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
i got a river about 300 meters from my spot that i just grab my coco blocks throw em in a pillow case with some threaded rope threw it and bombs away... come back in a few days and my coco is as good as flushed :)

EeJay

Mushroom compost is volatile, I would never use it for anything.

For Sydneysiders, the best potting mix i've come across is made by Orchid Care Services, called Space Age Potting Mix. Don't be fooled by the name of the makers, it's not a coarse bark mix that you'd usually associate with Orchids. It may be a bit hard to find though. They definitely don't deal with Bunnings, and really only seem to deal with actual nurseries, including Flower Power. They're actually based in Vineyard, but i'm not sure if they sell direct to the public or not.

Joe Hawkins

Mushroom compost is volatile, I would never use it for anything.

For Sydneysiders, the best potting mix i've come across is made by Orchid Care Services, called Space Age Potting Mix. Don't be fooled by the name of the makers, it's not a coarse bark mix that you'd usually associate with Orchids. It may be a bit hard to find though. They definitely don't deal with Bunnings, and really only seem to deal with actual nurseries, including Flower Power. They're actually based in Vineyard, but i'm not sure if they sell direct to the public or not.

Its tha bomb!

HippySlayer

more soils ain't soils....

more soils ain't soils....

do you flush your blocked coco HippySlayer

and do those nute work well with the combo of coco and soil ?

I have been wanting to mix the to for a fair while now but every one i have spoken to has advised me pick one and stick with it

Sorry, I forgot to mention that, yes, OMGJ can be used with any medium.

i got a river about 300 meters from my spot that i just grab my coco blocks throw em in a pillow case with some threaded rope threw it and bombs away... come back in a few days and my coco is as good as flushed :)

That's brilliant dude....another fine example of Aussie ingenuity. :D

madb

i use searles general and the high peat version as well. always done me well and not to pricey on the wallet.

eexpee

Like the idea about the coco blocks. Are there any pH issues with them though? Do Bunnings sell them?

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
Like the idea about the coco blocks. Are there any pH issues with them though? Do Bunnings sell them?

yes Bunnings and most nursery's will have them as well, I have even seen em at coles and safeway or woolworths depends what part of Australia you are in ;)

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
ive been buying mine from cheap as chips for $1.50 a block lol...ph issues? i'd have to check ph do know that...and i dont.....watch for fungas gnats though...some types are full of there eggs HH. =]-~

eexpee

Haha, yeh, or so I know what i'm looking for. I just have never really seen it around, not that I have looked until now...

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
ok :D...there about 6 or 7 l x 4 w x 2 h inch bricks...but you can get some big ones that are around say(i dont know just guessing) a foot square sorta thing....if you say go to coles ect next time your in the shop look in the garden part where you can get thrive fert, soil,seeds,watering cans ect and you should see them there...but lots of them ones have ferts in them..which ive just avoided ...cause i dont know what they add and well...i just have my own ferts and add them when i need them...a real good flush should get them out i spose if thats all you can find...but there all around the place ..bunnings ..supermarkets ...garden centers ect....is good to add some perlite to add some air...but lots dont and ATM im not..only cause i need more than the tiny expensive bags you can get at bunnings and cause i cant get a 100 ltr bag home unless i get a lift or separate in half at the shop and buss it home...or cover with garbage bags...which ive done before but feel its a bit scary walking around with it if someone like me just thinks"hmmm perlite size bag???).HH. =]-~

Last edited:

eexpee

Thanks happyherb. I will keep a look out next time i'm around those stores. I also have the problem of no car, but luckily other family members do :D

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Olsen's Greenbio

Olsen's Greenbio

Anyone use this? I used Debco as the main ingredient but added lotsa stuff. I supplement with aerated teas too. About the ph you want Dolomite in there, it's meant to lock the ph in for soil.

I didn't like the Kriedman's Farm compost but it wasn't too bad after I sieved out all the bark. The Naked Farmer soil activator seems a nice additive. All these are from bunnings.

Good thread.

I also use that Debco organic or terracotta and pot mix if I cant find the organic,add some wormcastings(up to 1/4 total),a bit of composted crap(horse this time),a touch of b+b and Dolomite lime add about 1/3 perlite and voila!!
I've grown without the addittivwes too and it seemed to work quite well