Veteran
i was hoping someone here could help me. i live in the southeast
around 34N and my summers are extremely hot and humid. there
are also some summers when i can get almost no rain. i have talked
to a few people that tell me auto flowers wont do well in my area
because of the heat and lack of rain, but since i have never used
auto flowers i can't confirm it. are there any strains out there that
have high potency and will be hardy enough to survive in my area
with the heat and sometimes lack of rain?

any kind of advice or information on a good auto flower would
be great. :joint:

T

TheOneWill

:werd: kinda in the same area. I got a bunch of bag seed I'm gonna throw out and hope I get an auto flower so I can make some seeds.

Mr. Stinky

there hasnt been much sucess outdoors with auto's. and what little sucess ive read, was mostly due to pretty constant care (bottle feeding, i call it). the general consensus is, auto-ak is about the best commercially available outdoor strain. untill a grower spends a few seasons growing outdoors and breeding with the best available parents, there isnt a very good option for hardy outdoor auto's... this year lots of guys are giving them a more serious try than in the past so maybe this is the year of the auto??? we'll see about august:joint:

and hoping for an auto from a pile of bagseed is like rootin thru garbage lookin for a winning lottery ticket. and if you do get one that auto's, your breeding plan will leave you sorely dissapointed

T

TheOneWill

I'm not counting on getting one but if I do I'll try to keep it.

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there hasnt been much sucess outdoors with auto's. and what little sucess ive read, was mostly due to pretty constant care (bottle feeding, i call it). the general consensus is, auto-ak is about the best commercially available outdoor strain. untill a grower spends a few seasons growing outdoors and breeding with the best available parents, there isnt a very good option for hardy outdoor auto's... this year lots of guys are giving them a more serious try than in the past so maybe this is the year of the auto??? we'll see about august:joint:

and hoping for an auto from a pile of bagseed is like rootin thru garbage lookin for a winning lottery ticket. and if you do get one that auto's, your breeding plan will leave you sorely dissapointed

I think this is because mainly until the last year or two at most has any real number of AF strains out there to try to start with. Next with so few AF strains and being that they are so new to the world there just has not been enough growers in enough areas using AF's to really give answers to a lot of the AF questions out there.

S_a_H

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
well thanks for the advice and information given so far guys. i guess my AF
outdoor grow will have to wait until I can find some decent genetics. hopefully
i can find a sensitive strain that flowers quickly so my late season mini's stay
small.

I

IceColdCrickets

i was hoping someone here could help me. i live in the southeast
around 34N and my summers are extremely hot and humid. there
are also some summers when i can get almost no rain. i have talked
to a few people that tell me auto flowers wont do well in my area
because of the heat and lack of rain, but since i have never used
auto flowers i can't confirm it. are there any strains out there that
have high potency and will be hardy enough to survive in my area
with the heat and sometimes lack of rain?

any kind of advice or information on a good auto flower would
be great. :joint:

What makes AF not do well with heat and no rain?? All cannabis will do poorly without water. Most AFs can withstand a fair deal of heat. You will have to supplement the water source other then rain in your area with any cannabis strain, AF or not.

The only problem I see happening here is the fact that AF strains are so short thier roots systems are too,, well at least they are much shorter then NON-AF strains... So in hot weather the AFs will have a problem trying to find water in deep soil with thier shorter root systems. Unlike Non-AFs once established they can go many many ft down to find what they need througout the season. But if you water, just water well enough for the soil to be saturated deep down so they will have a reserve water source if you can't get back to them for awhile.

Actually, the main problem with one AF strain the Original LR#1 was the fact that it MOLDED very easy after a rain that lasted 4 days during the last 2 weeks of flowering,, this was due only to the density of the buds. You being hot and dry shouldn't have to worry about that.

New AF strains are coming up fast and I am sure you will find one that will suit your needs. To recommend any AF strain for outdoors I would try to go with the ones that have been breed outside and have proven to take the conditions,, only one that comes to mind is Mossy's JEMS but I don't know where you can get them ,, check the Bay.

Peace ICC.

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
What makes AF not do well with heat and no rain?? All cannabis will do poorly without water. Most AFs can withstand a fair deal of heat. You will have to supplement the water source other then rain in your area with any cannabis strain, AF or not.
Well I have noticed some strains are more hardy outside than others and
aren't really affected by the heat and require less watering. not always but
i have noticed this before.

Rose56

One thing with AF's outdoor is that they prefer an extra long light cycle. And some strains seem to be more sensitive to heat. Also because some are so short there is little air flow which would encourage bud rot with your high humidity and if you get rain that will just make it worse so it is suggesting that you plant them in pots rather then directly in the ground.

marcnh

Rudolf, from my experience it is the cool nights that really stunt the growth of my autos. Just don't plant in valleys because that's where the cool air settles. For your area, I would place your plants so they will get partial sun in the hottest parts of the day (if possible), dig down about 2 feet and amend the soil, add crystals and fill back in. I personally would rather grow in your area in exchange for the cool nights I get here. Have you thought about avoiding july and just growing in may/june, make some seeds and take a break in july, then grow in aug/sept? This might help with the temps if they are too high, or you can go to a higher elevation. 500 feet up can be 10 degrees cooler in my area. Good luck!

I am just starting with AF's and intend to go outdoors as well. It seems logical that these plants will struggle more than others outdoors in remote plots.

Reason for this is that they need to be put in soil when they are very small. Therefore network of roots is also small. This hinders plants' ability to withstand dryness as roots both i) do not dig deep enough to reach the moist soil, and ii) cannot afford to draw only limited water per root due to limited amount of roots.

To work around this limitation I plan to start plants at home until sexed (first 20-25 days for strains I'm working with), and to plant in humid areas (around here is somewhat dry).

More to be revealed...
Geezum crow then
Let's get growin and find out

Jahkaya

I think it's all about the guerilla gold for outside..but that is not quite an AF. I am going to try some this spring once the 14-16 hours of light kicks in.

antimatter

Veteran
Im really hoping that the auto ak's wont mold out on me generally august is pretty dry here but end of august/september/october can have some brutal rains and early morning dew. I try not to think that this year will be an experiment because its as serious as it gets, if they mold then im not gonna be growing them again.

Molson

I'll be planting a few AFs outside this season, but with the difficulty people are having growing AFs outdoors I'm torn on which strain to grow. I'm thinking either Diesel Ryder, Blue Streak, or Auto-AK ? Anyone have any input? Someone in this thread mentioned that Auto-AK does the best outdoors, but I haven't heard many good things about LL's genetics. Would diesel ryder be better than BS outdoors since its sativa domiant and would most likely grow larger?

The grow plot is an open field with thigh-waist high grass everywhere. There will be plenty of sun. I'll just have to worry about them drying out.

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
I'll be planting a few AFs outside this season, but with the difficulty people are having growing AFs outdoors I'm torn on which strain to grow. I'm thinking either Diesel Ryder, Blue Streak, or Auto-AK ? Anyone have any input? Someone in this thread mentioned that Auto-AK does the best outdoors, but I haven't heard many good things about LL's genetics. Would diesel ryder be better than BS outdoors since its sativa domiant and would most likely grow larger?

The grow plot is an open field with thigh-waist high grass everywhere. There will be plenty of sun. I'll just have to worry about them drying out.

Auto ak is the choice id making for out door growing have tried the blue streak and didnt do to well out side the auto ak on the other hand explodes.....

Molson

Auto ak is the choice id making for out door growing have tried the blue streak and didnt do to well out side the auto ak on the other hand explodes.....

Really? That sucks man. I was looking forward to trying blue streak, as I'm more of an indica fan. Did their growth just stunt outdoors? A strain that explodes outdoors (Auto-AK47) compared to one that suffers outdoors (BS), in comparison to their respective indoor yields, kind of makes the decision a no brainer though.

shroomyshroom

Veteran
Really? That sucks man. I was looking forward to trying blue streak, as I'm more of an indica fan. Did their growth just stunt outdoors? A strain that explodes outdoors (Auto-AK47) compared to one that suffers outdoors (BS), in comparison to their respective indoor yields, kind of makes the decision a no brainer though.

I am looking at giving the blue streak another run.. i found they did not seed well at all as well compared to other autos... saying that all my work is done out side... so that might have had a little something to do with the shit seed run with the blue streak... the smoke on them was awsome though... just wish the seeded :(

Molson

Shroom,

Could you give me a little more details on how Blue Streak performed outdoors? Was their growth just stunted all the way through (like 6 - 10")? Do you have any #s on yields? Did some seedlings just not outright make it?

shroomyshroom

Veteran
Shroom,

Could you give me a little more details on how Blue Streak performed outdoors? Was their growth just stunted all the way through (like 6 - 10")? Do you have any #s on yields? Did some seedlings just not outright make it?

out of 10 seedlings 3 made it to harvest.. this was %100 my fault though as i had them in an area where bugs just made a meal of the other 7... i was lucky enough to get all females out of the 3 that made it :) i got roughly about 10 grams per but this is because i had them in 2 - 3 ltrs pots i have since learnt that autos love 10ltr pots and grow so much better when they have room for there roots to spread, i have a theory that if they get root bound they are stunted for life... and that is where ppl are getting there shity yields from IMO.

As for height mine were about 30cm tall, i got 2 phenos one i really really liked and would have loved to work with it alot more it was very dence in bud and leaf structure and the smell omg.. i have to ad mit i tried eating a bit of the bud cause the smell was so good :eek::, I tried to seed it with a DR male but no sucsses this run :(

I am doing alot of work with the lowryder 2 atm trying to get my seed umbers up so doing a few seed run progects.. ill be starting an auto ak x DR and auto hindu kush diary very soon in the coming days keep your eyes pealed should be a good diary

keep safe ppl