What's new

Best MH on the market.

MPL

Huh? So you can't use digital ballasts with the CMH bulbs? I am about to order my ballasts and was going to go with a 250w or 400w Lumatek digital ballast and the equivalent CMH bulb (http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmed18.htm)...

What about using aircooled hoods with the CMH bulbs? Does the glass filter out the UV? Should supplemental UV lighting be used?

simba said:
NO DIGITAL OR ELECTRONIC BALLAST WITH CMH LAMPS>>

simba

Sleeping Dragon
only Digital or electronic Ballasts rated CMH

aircooled hood would take ALOT of the heat out of ur grow..
CMH dont throw heat.. like HPS or MH

G

Pinball -

Just checking in. Hope all is well under the white light!
Any thoughts?

MPL

How is the heat compared to an equivalent wattage HPS or MH lamp? I want to run the 400w CMH in a PL set up but am concerned about heat and don't want to aircool it and lose the UV output. It's going into a 28"x28"x60" cabinet.

Pinball Wizard said:
Seven days later...so far, so good. Less heat, no stretch. 3 seedling WW's, end of week #2.

I'm impressed.

simba

Sleeping Dragon
MPL with PL DEEP reflector they do make a air hood that u DONT have to use glass..
trust me if you do that and have ur airflow ull be OK..

CMH DOESNT THROW HEAT LIKE HPS OR MH>>
Heat Rises from it...Not Thrown.....
think of it this way a HPS and MH are like those Red radiant heaters that throw the heat on u.. cmh doesn't, rather its heat is just emitted by the arc tube combustion and rises..

if your die hard Anti aicoold PL hood.
just have 10% your air coming in at BASE (to keep res or soil at room temp)
and the other 90% of intake vents at the base of the plants right above the top of the res or soil..and ur exhaust at Way top.. with constant fresh air..
that will keep ur res room temp and plants just above room temp..
but the 400 will be overkill with that small cabinet.. start with 250 watt.. and pl deep hood.. as without a aircooled hood that 400 will be hard to even get the Ambient temp down.. think of a 400 watt heater no mater what lamp its just a mater of how it lets it go.. either throw or raise..

Pinball Wizard when ya get a chance another update would be great..

Last edited:

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Azeotrope said:
Pinball -

Just checking in. Hope all is well under the white light!
Any thoughts?
I wish I had a camera...anyway....I'm impressed.

Coming up on week #3. About 10 inches tall, compact nodes. Will transplant from the 6 inch pots when I see the roots coming out the bottom, into 10 inch pots and start flowering. I switched to 20/4, because of the afternoon heat in the house. Temps stay between 77-85 degrees, otherwise.

400CMH bulb: about 10 inches above the tops. That's closer than I could get my 400HPS hortilux. (15 inches)

Last edited:

MPL

Why would it be hard to get my ambient temps down with a 400? I use my central air conditioner to keep my home at about 71F constantly during the summer and in the winter I just use a tiny bit of the heat to keep it up around 69F. I don't see how the 400 would affect my ambients.

The reason I wanted to go with a 400 was because of two things:
1. I'd like to be able to go to a bigger grow later on without having to buy another light.
2. With the PL hood you still have to keep it relatively high off the plants, from what I've read, so I want to make sure that I have plenty of output.

I haven't seen an AC hood from PL that doesn't require glass.

I'm not diehard anything. I just want to get the best reflector I can that doesn't cost $2349827349823749823 ya know?

simba said:
if your die hard Anti aicoold PL hood.
just have 10% your air coming in at BASE (to keep res or soil at room temp)
and the other 90% of intake vents at the base of the plants right above the top of the res or soil..and ur exhaust at Way top.. with constant fresh air..
that will keep ur res room temp and plants just above room temp..
but the 400 will be overkill with that small cabinet.. start with 250 watt.. and pl deep hood.. as without a aircooled hood that 400 will be hard to even get the Ambient temp down.. think of a 400 watt heater no mater what lamp its just a mater of how it lets it go.. either throw or raise..

Last edited:

MPL

Which reflector/hood are you using?

Pinball Wizard said:
400CMH bulb: about 10 inches above the tops. That's closer than I could get my 400HPS hortilux. (15 inches)

Latest posts

Latest posts