What's new

Best MH on the market.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
I've used many HPS's over my years, but after I've watched Northern Farmer's grow, I feel that MH are better.

So there is a pretty general consensus that Hortilux are the best HPS, but what is the best MH? Vegging and flowering.

G

If I *had to choose* just one over the other I would go with MH without a doubt.

On the other hand the best numbers I'm seeing per bulb are coming with those expensive MH conversion bulbs. Now there is also a HPS dual spectrum on the market.

Those bulbs you speak of in my set up are not just MH bulbs... they are also the absolute cheapest bulbs I picked up for $35 and on their second run. :muahaha:

I prove over and over to guys that excellent crops can be grown with cheap MH bulbs.

With that being said I am blending MH with HPS now because I also have new HPS sitting around with my last bulk used equip acquisition. Thing's are looking great. I may even test 2 of those HPS duals on the next run. I'll keep you posted on that also.

Last edited:

Mr Celsius

Veteran
Thank you for the info.

I would like to get the *best* MH on the market.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
It is not the quality of the equipment that grows great flowers, it is how well we use what equipment we have. I use the cheapest available MH bulbs, and try to replace them at 6-8 months.
H

Mr Celsius

Veteran
Haps said:
It is not the quality of the equipment that grows great flowers, it is how well we use what equipment we have. I use the cheapest available MH bulbs, and try to replace them at 6-8 months.
H

Good point, but with me, who knows how well I'll do so every advantage I can get is helpful.

I think every grower goes into it thinking they're going to do the best they can, and for whatever reason, sometimes fail in one department or the other.

For example: Organics is my new favorite thing; if done right and I listen to veterans, hopefully I will be successful in the feeding department. I've never had trouble with feeding when it came to feed to waste, flood table or NFT; when I listen to others and got sound advice. Now I'm asking for sound advice, about a certain piece of equipment I'll be using.

Regardless, thank you Haps.

G

Mr Celsius said:
Thank you for the info.

I would like to get the *best* MH on the market.

I would invest in the Hortilux Conversion MH 960w then but at nearly $200 a piece you are looking at an expensive start up.

Besides larger yields they also have a longer life.

G

I like Sunmaster. They also make 3 different bulbs Cool, Neutral and Warm. I think the Warms are probably some of the best all around bulbs on the market. Produces stellar herb. The Hortilux Super Blue HPS bulbs look fantastic but at about $250 :eek:.

simba

Sleeping Dragon
yes and no LOL
not released yet.. 600 and 1kw but soon..
as we know ceramic had some of its own downsides that had to be overcome..

Mr Celsius

Veteran
simba said:
yes and no LOL
not released yet.. 600 and 1kw but soon..
as we know ceramic had some of its own downsides that had to be overcome..

When will they be available?

G

FWIW, I see a HUGE diffefferance with the new Blue hortalux MH. Maybe its me but IMOH I will never go back to Sunmaster MH (Which is what I always used.)

Its worth every penny, Well I did buy ( No stole) mine New on ebay for 80 bucks.

Hey who says using a bid sniper isnt fair????

G

Hey who says using a bid sniper isnt fair????
Bid Sniper rules! Sun Tzu still rocks. I've been hearing some great things about the Hortilux blue. Haven't tried one yet but all feedback is positive. You're talking about their MH and not their Super Blue HPS...right?

G

Mountain said:
Bid Sniper rules! Sun Tzu still rocks. I've been hearing some great things about the Hortilux blue. Haven't tried one yet but all feedback is positive. You're talking about their MH and not their Super Blue HPS...right?

Correct Hortilux blue MH

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Heya all again

we are discssing the EYE HORTILUX MH BLUe (Not the HPS MH combo that things a SUPER JOKE..))
the PHILIPS Ceramic Metal Halide Vs EYE HORTILUX BLUE
6 reasons philips is better.

1. it has better red output.
3. Higher Inital and mean Lumen output
4. Has Longer Life 5k more hours (relamp less)
5. it has higher Lumen Maintance.( vs eye its even better
(with this and the life it WHOMPS the EYE BLUE)
6 its half the price..

the reason PHILIPS doesnt mareket there CMH for hotriculture is beacuse they are pushing them on the Comercial Wharehouse market..
and if they push in hort it would have a higher price..(its a specalty market)
if i told u what bulbs and every thing really costed at hard cost u wouldnt pay 50 bucks for any bulb no mater what the clame..

the EYE BLUE (eye even know it sucks)
i have talked to them many of times.. and asked for specific information and tried discusing with them. however unfort I know more about there products in question and other products they mfr than they do. (not saying meanly)

EYE makes a Cera arc but i dont like it at the moment (its like Philips) but some other issues like all of them are enclosed only and other things im looking into.. (i will say honestly if its better after my tests vs price)

i keep telling them drop the MH BLUE (POS) and say there cera arc is philips compittion if that..
but they wnat the DUMB GROWERS TO BUY THE MH BLUE>>
(they admitted that not in so many words but came accross that way)

as far as when the 600 and 1kw are coming from the MFRS (philips and eye and ge) is soon.. i know exactly when Philips is due for release but cant say..
its not becausse they working out bugs.. there not bugs like u call them.. LOL
its more of gaining effeciancy issues.. (they are currently better than comp but they want better beacasue of other lamps that are going to be competing with them when the 600 and 1kw are released...

philips CMH
http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmed18.htm
http://advancedtechlighting.com/p-5497.pdf

eye hort blue (not there HPS MH BLUE COMBO - wich is a super hps and metal blue)
http://www.eyehortilux.com/blue.html
http://www.eyehortilux.com/tb/blue/EQS-N-52-78-57816.pdf

another beni of the philips over the EYE MH BLUE is the output in 500-600 philips has less wasted there (not wasted persay but is persay LOL))

in short ya can buy the eye MH blue but u will regret it after trying the philips.

and the BIGGEST KICKER CMH from any MFR isnt pushed by them into hort..
we would stop buying HPS and MH and there are so many factories set up for hps and mh and NOT CMH>> ITS DIFF PROCESS.. it would have a huge neg impact on MFR WORLD> everyone will switch just a mater of time for yall to follow my lead..
ya im all high and mighty K/K (i found the coolest lamp 6 years ago (CMH)
and the next New thing on the pipeline is RF/Induction CMH (with Red boost)

Last edited:
G

Simba -

I totally agree!!!!! I stumbled on the sales brochure at a supply house when Phillips first released them. Back before they were available with a Horizontal design. I ran them Horiz any way just fine. I now have a bulb museum in my garage with brand new 400w Hortilux bulbs one Son Agro and a collection of halides. I run 2 X 400w in a 22" x 40" cabinet and get the most amazing quality and yield.

Old habits and beliefs are hard for people to part with. I hope that all will catch on soon. I have a 2 x 250w ballasts and bulbs just ready to go. What a bush you can get with Indicas and stretch control for Sativa's. I am going to convert my small veg cabinet from a ARO 150/175w electronic ballast and Uni-Form (no uv coating!) pulse start to a Hatch 150w electronic made for chm and get a couple 150w Phillips 4K CMH soon.

Best wishes to all!!!

Azeotrope

G

I would think that the Micro guys would be all over the smaller wattage bulbs that are CMH there is a good selection on the net and the Hatch line of ballasts is proven, not that it is the only optio.

I look at the Micro grows section and see one hardware store bulb after another. The off the shelf HPS bulbs are nothing like the CMH when it comes to feeding plants the spectrum and photons that they need!!!

Azeo

G

there not bugs like u call them.. LOL
It's just I've seen over and over the problems with new products and prefer to avoid them for awhile. As for the other stuff...god info but remember hearing some knocks about CMH and just can't recall what people were saying. Right now I use the GE Lucolux in my Lumi's and from what I understand they're mainly marketed as a commercial and not grow bulb. I get em for $65 and they're great. I'm still debating which MH conversion to go with and the Sunmaster looks best but will look into the CMH stuff...thanx.

Latest posts

Latest posts