What's new

Best Home Depot / Lowes Soil?

F

feral

my local nursery carries Espoma products at a real nice price. First time using this stuff and I'm very impressed with it.

fugly

Thanks Simon, I have not seen the Pro-Mix around here, I will give the MG Moisture Control with some added Perlite a look.

fugly

Hi feral, I'll take a look and see if I can find Espoma products around here. Thanks for your time !!!

F

feral

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with Espoma especially the nutes. Not sure how you like your soil to drain but I did have to cut my Espoma with some perlite to get the drainage I like.
I do;
7 parts potting mix
3 parts perlite
2 tbsp of their garden lime....their rep told me PH is anywhere from 5.5-6.8.
I also add garden tone in no specific quantity. depends on what strains I am running for a decision to be made. garden tone is 3-4-4 and completely organic that rivals if not better than uh-hmmmm fox farms. ( I'll catch hell for saying that).
I use Neptunes Harvest fish/seaweed and/or molasses to supplement when I feel they need it.
Glad to hear Sears/Kmart have it.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I have used the Espoma organic mix and it's great stuff. The best bang for the buck I have found is Sta-Green Tree & Shrub Planting Mix found at Lowes. It's only $7 per 2 c.f. bag making it cheaper than Foxfarm, Pro-Mix, and Espoma. Its base is compost and it has plenty of dolomite lime in it so no worries about pH.

-Funk

F

feral

Hey Funk. Weren't you the one who grew those awesome Mandala's in the Sta-green stuff?

aug181983

I cant find a good soil ANYWHERE ....... Plus i need enough for 1.5 gals " 100 autos " whatever that comes out to be cu ft . My girls are already growing out there pellets and i need something tomorrow so hopefully i can find a good organic soil somewhere

ibjamming

Veteran
Soil is like assholes...everyone has their "own".

I suggested the Expert gardener because I've seen it, smelled it, felt it...it's OK for something at WalMart...and EVERYONE has a WalMart near them. It's made by Scotts...like so many other gardening supplies. It's not junk, that's for sure. It's peat based not wood and sticks based.

It's NOT so much the soil you choose. It's bringing it all together. Many people hate the MG moisture control that was suggested...do a search. But then...many people also love it. I think it's the skill of the grower much more than the soil chosen.

We each need to find "our way".

Good luck!

F

feral

I suggested the Expert gardener because I've seen it, smelled it, felt it...it's OK for something at WalMart...and EVERYONE has a WalMart near them. It's made by Scotts...like so many other gardening supplies. It's not junk, that's for sure. It's peat based not wood and sticks based.

It's NOT so much the soil you choose. It's bringing it all together. Many people hate the MG moisture control that was suggested...do a search. But then...many people also love it. I think it's the skill of the grower much more than the soil chosen.

We each need to find "our way".

Good luck!

so true. Its not the tools you have but having the knowledge to use them.
Just because someone has a garage/shed full of power tools doesn't mean the can build a freaking house, just because you have 'good' soil doesn't mean you'll grow dank weed.
I've used MG soil many times, along with Farfards and now I'm using Espoma and rarely had problems. With MG it was fungus gnats but I've read on here of people complaining about the ol' mighty Fox Farms having gnats as well. Solution get your soil from inside and not outside and lower your percentage of getting them.
MG can't be flushed. Not the time -release stuff but there is a way to deal with that soil and grow good weed.
Again as what was stated above, it's the knowledge not the tools so much to growing good weed.
It kills me when someone says I met an old timer and he does this or that and folks freak out on here replying you can't grow plants without having xyz soil or nutes, lights, etc. WTF? That old man/woman has probably been growing plants longer than most of us have been alive and been successful at it.
Like I tell everyone on here whose looking for the best soil, light, method of growing, etc. Experiment and find what works for YOU in YOUR situation/enviroment/grow style.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran

I suggested the Expert gardener because I've seen it, smelled it, felt it...

But, you didn't actually finish a grow in it. Who, exactly, are you helping by arguing a point based on speculation? This isn't about your ego; its about helping folks start and finish successful grows.

it's OK for something at WalMart...and EVERYONE has a WalMart near them. It's made by Scotts...like so many other gardening supplies. It's not junk, that's for sure. It's peat based not wood and sticks based.

FWIW, The 2 plants below (+3oz each dry/cured) were grown in Moisture Control:

14187309FMS_Skunk_Special_rr.jpg

14187309AK03c_harvest.jpg

As I said, I used Expert Gardner for quite some time, enough to note each change in its composition. I don't recommend it now, because there's no reason to take the chance on ruining a grow when easily-found alternatives are on the shelves. I'm citing a ruined grow, because it happened to me, and it's not like I don't know what I'm doing. I've run hundreds upon hundreds of plants in EG and MC, as well as Pro-Mix and almost every other soil product imaginable. The record speaks for itself; folks are welcome to have a look at my gallery.

Simon

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
so true. Its not the tools you have but having the knowledge to use them.
Just because someone has a garage/shed full of power tools doesn't mean the can build a freaking house, just because you have 'good' soil doesn't mean you'll grow dank weed.
I've used MG soil many times, along with Farfards and now I'm using Espoma and rarely had problems. With MG it was fungus gnats but I've read on here of people complaining about the ol' mighty Fox Farms having gnats as well. Solution get your soil from inside and not outside and lower your percentage of getting them.
MG can't be flushed. Not the time -release stuff but there is a way to deal with that soil and grow good weed.

Again as what was stated above, it's the knowledge not the tools so much to growing good weed.

It kills me when someone says I met an old timer and he does this or that and folks freak out on here replying you can't grow plants without having xyz soil or nutes, lights, etc. WTF? That old man/woman has probably been growing plants longer than most of us have been alive and been successful at it.
Like I tell everyone on here whose looking for the best soil, light, method of growing, etc. Experiment and find what works for YOU in YOUR situation/enviroment/grow style.

Given the commentary, can we see some of yours? I looked though your past threads and your pics, and you know even less than the other guy. So, WTF are you ranting about?

Simon

dekab247

soil

soil

Lowe's, and HD carry these. Some one, and some both. Here it is.

The have Black Kow, and mushroom compost. I have used both with added perlite. Excellent results. Now I used liquid nutes organic, but would still be a good base to work off of wether you add dry nutes, or chem nutes imo...good luck..

F

feral

Here you go:

Thai/skunk MG time release under cfl's

8 mile high. MG time release with cfl's

Mandala #1, 30 days old in Farfards, under 110 watt PLL

Mandala #1 in MG organics under 110 watt PLL

So Simon and/or Oprah, whoever the hell you are. My point was anyone can grow good weed in just about any soil given the experience. People need to learn to experiment and see what works for them , not do what someone else is doing notch for notch. I tried to follow others people's methods down to the nail and never got the same results. Why? Because that was their method in their specific situation/environment not mines. So you need to get of your high horse you ain't all that yourself. Just because others kiss your ass doesn't mean I will. What makes you such an expert? I know....your one who grows to make $$$$ not for the love of not just a plant but for the art of growing plants in general. Myself, I grow weed because growing gives me enjoyment and also so I don't have to pay someone an outrageous price for a bag of plant material.
You have been added to the ignore list along with the 2 other assholes that reside on it. Good day sir.
BTW: I saw your pics. plants look pretty good but far from what I would expect from such an 'expert' in the field as your trying to come here and claim to be. Perhaps you should write a book and stop judging everyone else. We're supposed to be here for a common purpose, but it's folks like you that are the bad apple on the tree and spoil it for everyone else.

Latest posts

Latest posts