What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best/good dispensary for clones in PDX?

T

thesloppy

Finding clones in PDX these days certainly isn't anything close to hard....but knowing they're free of pests/pathogens, and/or have any kind of pedigree (or are even the correct strain) is another thing entirely.

Anybody want to vouch for a place in PDX they have lots of good experience with?

orechron

Progressive collective on east burnside. Lots of cookie cuts, a bunch of og's, and some more exotic stuff. Usually have 20 varieties.

T

thesloppy

Thx! They've actually been on my list to check out, just haven't made it out there yet.

T

thesloppy

Do you need an Oregon ID to get clones from rec shops?

Nope. You do need a valid form of ID from somewhere, but as long as you're over 21 you can buy up to 4 clones from dispensaries (FYI there are no recreational shops in Oregon yet, but medical dispensaries are open to everybody for recreational sales until the recreational shops are functioning)

orechron

No prob. I've been to a half dozen shops here and many are selling plants in really poor health and/or infested with something. Broad mites are more common these days and a few places had them and didn't know about it. I remember a guy saying that they were just revegging and thats why they looked so wrinkled. So sad, I wonder how many gardens of naive people he ruined.

Kind Heart Collective in the Kenton neighborhood of nopo is also not bad. Clean looking clones last time I looked but a smaller selection.

Progressive collective usually has a good selection, but beware: they have been a steady source of broad mites in the past. Once those fuckers are established, it's pretty hard to get them out of a storefront. Clones can come in clean, but they run a significant risk of being contaminated while sitting on the shelf. This isn't finger-pointing at Progressive (they are cool folks), but, rather, a very serious problem plaguing most dispensaries.

There will be new legislation in the short session this February that addresses this issue (to a certain extent) by mandating that all plant stock be provided by a new class of cannabis operation (canna-specific nursery operations). Expect prices to go up, but pests and disease to go down.

T

thesloppy

Progressive collective usually has a good selection, but beware: they have been a steady source of broad mites in the past. Once those fuckers are established, it's pretty hard to get them out of a storefront. Clones can come in clean, but they run a significant risk of being contaminated while sitting on the shelf. This isn't finger-pointing at Progressive (they are cool folks), but, rather, a very serious problem plaguing most dispensaries.

There will be new legislation in the short session this February that addresses this issue (to a certain extent) by mandating that all plant stock be provided by a new class of cannabis operation (canna-specific nursery operations). Expect prices to go up, but pests and disease to go down.

Thanks for that info, having just gotten out of a nearly year-long bugpocalypse vs. the less nefarious root aphids and fungus gnats, the spectre of broad mites is probably enough to keep me out of the dispensary clone game for a while.

frostqueen

I know this is obvious, but be really careful. Quarantine any plants for at least a month. I suggest taking clones of your clones for production. The price of not doing this could be disasterous.

I say this after talking with at least 4 local commercial producers I know who have gotten broad mites and root aphids by bringing in club cuts. And these are legit inspected plants! Progressive and Kind Heart are great outfits, but if their supplier has pest problems they have no control over it. If the botanist doing the inspection misses broads on 1 plant the entire batch can be compromised.

The local situation can be described as 'epidemic' for both broads and root aphids. I have gone into full lockdown because of it.

orechron

I know this is obvious, but be really careful. Quarantine any plants for at least a month. I suggest taking clones of your clones for production. The price of not doing this could be disasterous.

I say this after talking with at least 4 local commercial producers I know who have gotten broad mites and root aphids by bringing in club cuts. And these are legit inspected plants! Progressive and Kind Heart are great outfits, but if their supplier has pest problems they have no control over it. If the botanist doing the inspection misses broads on 1 plant the entire batch can be compromised.

The local situation can be described as 'epidemic' for both broads and root aphids. I have gone into full lockdown because of it.

Good info. One other thing I'll say is that while these few clubs have clones on the higher end of the quality range, they are still never in peak health. Most places use 4x4x4 nursery pots with a mix like super or sunshine #4 and the clones get root bound and show deficiencies really quick. They aren't what I would consider very healthy plants, but the alternative in most other clubs is plants with woody stems, excess nitrate, pm, and crawling with bugs.

Its true that bugs can be missed during inspection. Broads and cyclamens are so small that if there are a dozen on 1000 clones they will never be found unless the plants are symptomatic.

If you don't have the space to quarantine for a month or so I wouldn't buy from clubs. Even trading with friends is risky.

T

thesloppy

I made a couple Craigslist connections for clones, against my better judgment.

...the first one started my bugpocalypse, and the second batch seemed to be fine after being quarantined for two weeks and I was just about to move them into my cabinets when I noticed a still wiggling adult aphid with a half-dozen little babies stuck to the little yellow sticky card I had in there with them. I STILL pushed my luck by not scrapping them, and instead doused the plants in insectidal soap and cut them into cuttings (which I soaped again), but I appear to have avoided a second infestation (knock on wood).

Since we're talking about a month-long quarantine anyway, it almost seems best just to immediately take as many cuts as you can off of a club clone, scrap the medium/pot entirely as soon as possible, yes?

Despite the kind of bad news in this thread regarding the sketchiness of the PDX club scene I'm very thankful for getting the info and advice. I don't really NEED to pick up any clones, and I've already got more seeds/seedlings than I can fit in my tiny cab, but it's easy for me to get tempted by all the great genetics that the clubs claim to have, and convince myself that I really should be growing HOT NEW STRAIN XXX, and in a way the sketchy news about local clubs/clones actually does well to calm those unnecessary desires.

frostqueen

Good info. One other thing I'll say is that while these few clubs have clones on the higher end of the quality range, they are still never in peak health. Most places use 4x4x4 nursery pots with a mix like super or sunshine #4 and the clones get root bound and show deficiencies really quick. They aren't what I would consider very healthy plants, but the alternative in most other clubs is plants with woody stems, excess nitrate, pm, and crawling with bugs.

Its true that bugs can be missed during inspection. Broads and cyclamens are so small that if there are a dozen on 1000 clones they will never be found unless the plants are symptomatic.

If you don't have the space to quarantine for a month or so I wouldn't buy from clubs. Even trading with friends is risky.

Good points. I would say from experience that Progressive usually has clones in very good health, but it can vary. Some strains are a pain in the ass, and giving specific strains special treatment is not something that happens at clubs. This being said, I brought a crazy-strong batch of powdery into my scene from a Progressive cut. It happens. I just can't afford that shit happening anymore.

I've been to Kind Heart a lot, too, and they do have more of the problems that you've described. You know when you see groups of 12" clones with no leaves or branches on the entire lower half at all that they were pruned for some problem or other.

I have also gotten quite a few cuts from KH that weren't real-deal, and that shit is just unforgivable. For example, their "Super Skunk" is actually Afgooey. (I got DNA confirmation of that.) Their Grape Ape isn't real either.

Progressive has been very good about offering confirmed clone-only names in the past, but I got a Charlotte's Web clone from them this summer and grew it out for one of my patients... and it turns out it is full of THC and potent as hell. I talked to them about it a couple months ago and they admitted it wasn't real-deal... and yet they still sell it and call it that. There are also claims that their Gorilla Glue #4 isn't real-deal, but that is unverified.

Whenever I bring in a new cutting now (regardless of source) I dip it in both Eagle 20 and Pylon immediately and it goes into a month-long quarantine. After a month I take cuttings from it and discard the original. That seems to work so far.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Is there not an equivalent to DHN (Dark Heart Nursery), like we have down here in the bay?

They always have consistently healthy clones(in large quantities) with no known issues of any pests that I can remember.

T

thesloppy

Is there not an equivalent to DHN (Dark Heart Nursery), like we have down here in the bay?

They always have consistently healthy clones(in large quantities) with no known issues of any pests that I can remember.

I don't think we have any (legal) dedicated clone nurseries in Oregon yet, though I believe there has been some government talk/action towards establishing specific licenses for nurseries in the future, when the dedicated recreational shops open. The dispensaries that are currently selling billions of dollars of legal weed weren't even intended to sell recreationally originally, and likely won't be able to once the state's infrastructure kicks in, so Oregon's retail weed/oil/plant/clone scene will probably look completely different in a year (and every year after that for a little while), for whatever that's worth.

A guy

I don't have any experience with pdx clones but I recently bought my first clone at a shop in Tillamook. It came with free fungus gnats (pretty sure) which are taken care of now, hopefully.

I got no response from the shop but does anyone here have experiences with a Blackberry strain? My read is that it's pretty much a NW strain originally. Mostly bought it on a whim.

sterfrigerator

i have one of the local blackberry cuts...so far my first plant of it was ultra frosty but not much crazy terpene content..we will see on the second round though

olekingkole

There are at least two operations around Eugene that sell state inspected clones through dispensaries- Wild West and Solar Organics. There are doubtlessly more around Portland. Many of their strains are different from Dark Heart's. Clones I've seen have been healthy and what they claimed to be. But as always, caveat emptor.

Latest posts

Latest posts