What's new

Best econo car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthballer

its ussually people that have a sense of money that drive them

what else are you going to spend the money on? holy shit
you are in college spend the money on a good time, smile at people in class make a few friends and the money will spend itself. 3 years of laughing good times is worth ten times more than spending the same amount of cash on a car.

Yummybud

Veteran
maybe if you have friends haha.

I don't even go out and shit so I don't spend money on anything, other than a little weed or food at school, clothes etc.

I've worked 20k in the past year and half and I've spent it all on my 2 previous cars......

Last edited:

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Honestly I have thought about getting a cheepo beater like a corola or civic, they are deecent cars and will do what that kind of car is built to do VERY well and be easy on the wallet in terms of insurance/gas/upkeep. Honda and toyota parts are expensive because the cars dont break! I have a old 160k mile V6 4WD 4Runner that is a great little truck, thats pretty much the only reason I dont have a civic or somthing like that to beat on in winter.

If you want an econo car, nothing beats a civic and the 98s are pretty cheep IMO.

Last edited:

Yummybud

Veteran
you should see the cost of parts for my 944, a water pump costs 250 bucks and it's an aftermarket. a clutch change on my car costs closet to 2000.

also other thing about new cars is that they are usually safer / airbags etc. and they are less likely to leave you stranded as the parts aren't 15 years old.

Last edited:

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I just got a 500ft/lb clutch installed for 1100, your getting ripped if your paying 2k!

Edit: ohh wait your in canada. What brand did you get?

Last edited:

Yummybud

Veteran
no I didn't do the clutch the previous owner has a receipt for a clutch, Sachs clutch kit.

the thing is with my car the labour is around 10-12 hours I think so that's why. The transmission and torque tube have to be removed. The transaxle is in the back of the car and the engine in the front in these cars.

most thngs I repaired myself, like i did the belts/ water pump. oil seals last summer and parts still cost $800 from an online store.

then I put 1000 in tires on it, and now it needs the oil pan gasket replaced which is too complicated for me and shop will probably charge me 1500 if I get it done. labour intensive job.

Yummybud

Veteran
well most people who own 944s or any porsche or old sports car don't own them to save money or invest money, it's a fun toy / hobby for most owners not a economical ride.

waydee

Yummybud said:
probably because most people in north america don't like diesels. They stink and sound like the bus.

but yeah diesels get excellent mpg / the engines generally last longer than gasoline engines.

I can tell you've not driven a modern diesel. ~8 years ago those problems might have existed but with modern commonrail diesels you can easily mistake them for a petrol motor - quiet, efficient, and as a bonus they usually offer more torque than their petrol counterparts.

Smell shouldnt be an issue, NA has finally made the switch to low sulphur diesel has it not?

edit: that said this Saturday i'm hopefully giving up my little french 50mpg beast for a 70s british 20mpg car :) its all about style.

edit2: I read that GM are to introduce the Astra to North America under the Saturn marque, thats a pretty reliable, efficient car. Also Peugeot are to make a return to those shores and they have a pretty big range of good little cars.

Last edited:

tekeenator

If you designed a tread system for the Ariel Atom and added all weather body work for winters it might just be able to become a winter ride from hell.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Yummys option to the bus.

Yo beyatch, no big gulp on the purple velvet !!

pimped_bike.jpg

NserUame

waydee said:
I can tell you've not driven a modern diesel. ~8 years ago those problems might have existed but with modern commonrail diesels you can easily mistake them for a petrol motor - quiet, efficient, and as a bonus they usually offer more torque than their petrol counterparts.

Smell shouldnt be an issue, NA has finally made the switch to low sulphur diesel has it not?

edit: that said this Saturday i'm hopefully giving up my little french 50mpg beast for a 70s british 20mpg car :) its all about style.

edit2: I read that GM are to introduce the Astra to North America under the Saturn marque, thats a pretty reliable, efficient car. Also Peugeot are to make a return to those shores and they have a pretty big range of good little cars.

A fiat perhaps? I worked (briefly) at an import center detaling cars, one of a few places in the state that could actually service those cars. Those things were sexy in a homely sort of way...great cars though.

Some day I wanna get a Mark 1 VW rabbit (diesel) and hook up some propane injection...I'd love to see the look on some itallian sports car driving mother fucker as you pass them in a Rabbit.

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Why don't you buy a bike?

You could probably get a Hayabusa for around $10,000 and you could shit all over absolutely any car on the road, no problem. Oh and you'd probably get around 30mpg...something to think about.

suzuki_1300_hayabusa_3quarts.jpg

Yummybud

Veteran
well I don't go to school in the summer and the rest of the year it's pissing rain like everyday and the roads are soaked. Riding the bike in this kind of weather would be too dangerous. All the people that I've known that ride bikes also have a car for the winter.

marx2k

Veteran
I have a car and I leave it in the driveway. I take the bus everywhere. Saves on gas (currently @ 2.55/gal US), saves on maintenance costs, saves the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts