What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Brand Of Coco Coir Today

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Poopy, you quoted me, just had to disagree and than repeated what I said.

and decreases the water holding capacity

vs.

cut down the water holding capacity alot....

Seriously?

haha must of read that wrong my bad bro.. i smoke alot... haha

ganja_hasi

natural mystic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think that's right. It's called coco mix but it's all coco I believe. Anyway, I guess I have to vote against it.
hi Spanishwilly,
your opinion is more than welcome, but, don't you think that you have to
try it out first, and then vote for it?
:wave:

hi Spanishwilly,
your opinion is more than welcome, but, don't you think that you have to
try it out first, and then vote for it?
:wave:

"I don't think that's right. It's called coco mix but it's all coco I believe. Anyway, I guess I have to vote against it.
The Canna Pro that I used before was much better in my opinion.
I won't use BioBizz again unless I cannot get the Canna Pro. Sure would like to get some croutons in Europe."

You're right though buddy. I wasn't very clear. It did sound a little unsure there when I re-read what I posted.
I'm using Bio Bizz right now. It's just not as good, in my opinion.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
I use Cocotek Red 'mixed' bricks. I do flush it and have noticed a little variance between bricks. Some of them flush with more run off salts than others, but after a simple flushing procedure, it's good to go. I'm sure it is more of an issue for commercial growers that are handling a lot of medium, but for a hobby closet grower like me.. it's really not a hassle at all to do a simple flush until your runoff reads low ppm. I love growing in coco.. so simple and effective, not to mention much cleaner than dirt.

mgk :tiphat:

pimpjuice

Royal Gold 100% loose coco is my favorite, 9$ a bag around here. Also been seeing good results with royal gold's Tupur high porosity mix, it has coco, forrest humus and perlite added.

Calimed

Veteran
Canna coco and ReadyGro are pretty good str8 out the bag.

I've also used bricks from the local nursery that were fine after a quick rinse... but I think they came with spiders.

str8clandestine

That Royal Gold stuff looks alright man!! ever tried black gold mixes, is that any good?

but as of two months ago, i used Botanicare brick, and washed/flushed it out thoroughly before use, i've also just recently tried bio bizz loose coco in veg, not flower yet, its pretty fine and high quality, has 6.0 ph and low ec too!

HooT

I hope its not to late to chime in here but I have always been fond of HydroDynamics crop circles. There more husky then the ground up coco and remain very lite even after watering. Very airy. I have never pretreated it ever (not saying I shouldn't have) and have never had any ill effects. Just fill up a tote with tap water and let the coco expand because they do come compressed. Fill up the container, put the plant in and flood the tables 1 time a day for 4 days, then 3 times a day the entire grow. I have never had a clone root in a 4in. pot full of coco so fast. I also have heard its not the best to run coco on a recirculating system....I say fuck that. I wouldn't change my rez for 2 weeks at a time and have never used cal/mag like every one thinks they need.

Heres some pics of my old coco grows....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sorry for all the pics...Talking about coco got me excited though.

Harinama

i'm using "down to earth" coco, and with a quick sparge, am quite happy with it. At $20/4.8cf brick, i LOVE the value!

sparge before using,amend with silica,calmag,superthrive,clearex,b1 on early veg waterings.

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Canna coco all the way, they've been in the game a long time and really know there stuff.
Peace

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I love Canna Coco Professional, but at E12 60 miles away, I have been "sinning" and getting an e7 bag of unbranded [plain White Bag] but OK coco from my local Farmers Co-op for soil amendment, no problems at all, used some for test repots and no issues, very fine, well shredded like Canna Pro, but as is, comes totally dry in the bag, unlike the Canna. Handy for carrying out to the Campo if the truth be known.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Brand doesn't make much of a difference. Worry more about consistency - fine/fiber/croutons/mixed etc.

jackiee

canna coco and all canna nutrients,i dont flush before using unless im mixing old with new coco.stay lucky

It would seem that the consensus says: All brands give solid results, without one being superior over the others. Furthermore, pre-rinsing is done just to be "safe", but chances are that each bag is ready to go as-is. Selection should then be made according to composition/consistency and whatever is the best bang for the buck.

Or did I not fully understand what went on in the previous five pages?

I find it curious that no one has initiated a discussion about the various additives each company adds in their coco product. Ex: tricoderma in canna, worm casings/kelp/guano in roots, and supposed beneficials in atami bcuzz. I guess in the end it doesn't really matter. It's all just marketing?

fred b

i use lose plagron coco coir in bags, they add trichoderma to it.

i always rinse the coco until the runoff ec is the same as the tap waters (0.2)

in the past I usually had a ec of 0.5 at the start of the rinse but the last bags i bought i rinsed were constantly 0.2 or max 0.3. so yeah, quality seems to vary alot. i will keep to rinse my coco :)

greets
fred b.

It would seem that the consensus says: All brands give solid results, without one being superior over the others. Furthermore, pre-rinsing is done just to be "safe", but chances are that each bag is ready to go as-is. Selection should then be made according to composition/consistency and whatever is the best bang for the buck.

Or did I not fully understand what went on in the previous five pages?

I find it curious that no one has initiated a discussion about the various additives each company adds in their coco product. Ex: tricoderma in canna, worm casings/kelp/guano in roots, and supposed beneficials in atami bcuzz. I guess in the end it doesn't really matter. It's all just marketing?

Well, my experience has been that one is totally different than another, and completely superior. Further, one didn't need flushing and the other needed flushing.

Latest posts

Latest posts