What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

best blue berry or blue strains

buttyrekka

never really been impressed by blueberry as a strain,or blueberry the taste....
but damn that high,the girl that always put's a smile on my face.
it's like the first cold beer on a hot summer day,or wakeing up next to your favorite girl.
blueberry IS excellent in crosses though....https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/IMG_1686dsdxblueberry.jpg

made excellent hash as well
https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/IMG_2617buble.jpg
tasted like vimto with a blueberry high! pathetic yields though:-(...
that was DP's blueberry X REZ DSD blueberry is sensitive she likes to throw nannas,but once you smoke her you end up loving the girl....

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Blueberry strains are sooo subjective! Have grown several photos years ago but like/prefer autoflower versions of Berry Ryder, Blue Himayala, Auto Blueberry and Blueberry Domina. Mmmm!

Indeed, that first berry inhale/exhale taste is likened to a first sip of a coldie on a hot afternoon!!

Scrappy-doo

That's the whole reason we're hunting for this particular pheno because while most blueberry the taste is pretty mediocre there is the legend of an old school extremely rare pheno where the taste is off the charts. Perhaps one of the tastiest herbs around. People who have had it will search their entire grow careers until they find it. I'm one of them.

cr0n

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's the whole reason we're hunting for this particular pheno because while most blueberry the taste is pretty mediocre there is the legend of an old school extremely rare pheno where the taste is off the charts. Perhaps one of the tastiest herbs around. People who have had it will search their entire grow careers until they find it. I'm one of them.

I have had it, long long ago. You are right, the tastiest herb I have every had. Ran two packs from DJ shortly after in 2000, no luck. Haven't tried since.

I had the legendary one time and it was so good it made me black out from smoking it. No joke. Would love to have some again.

Mikenite69

Veteran
I haven't tried Verdent greens blue offerings but I ran through tons of blueberrys and crosses even Dutch passions offerings and nothing has come close to the blueberry cut that I found and the blueberry that floated around in the 90's and early 2000's around NY.

But then just like redneck shogun said after I lost my cut it was like trying to find Bigfoot or a sqautch and I lost faith of ever finding it again. If she is the one look for a friend close to you because she will be spread again to people that will enjoy the cut and keep it long term. I have 5 mothers now vegging up as we speak.

G

growhigh1233

from my experiences with blueberry i find djs offering more floral, with a almost sickly sweet taste profile

my blueberry from 2011 is Sharp punchy sweet, if buds are over rubbed with fingers the smell changes to a almost sour profile.... and it actually does smell of blueberrys.. that profile is in there. lightly rub the bud, rubb your fingers.. and its blueberry........... make a smoothy with fresh blueberrys......... smell it

thats my blueberry indica

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I haven't tried Verdent greens blue offerings but I ran through tons of blueberrys and crosses even Dutch passions offerings and nothing has come close to the blueberry cut that I found and the blueberry that floated around in the 90's and early 2000's around NY.

But then just like redneck shogun said after I lost my cut it was like trying to find Bigfoot or a sqautch and I lost faith of ever finding it again. If she is the one look for a friend close to you because she will be spread again to people that will enjoy the cut and keep it long term. I have 5 mothers now vegging up as we speak.

Dude, I know, right!!!

Throughout the 90's we grew so much blueberry I flat out got sick of it. We originally got seeds from Ontario/Toronto area.

The cut going around in the late 90's NY was an indica Dom, tasty, just awesome pot. Flavor lingered forever.

The sativa BB phenos were devastating, remember man nights fishing, reamed on BB, sitting by the river, HIGH AS FUCK. Lol good times!

I'm sure it can be found again. I know for fact that our packs were DJ Short. Someone just needs to grow out a few hundred DJ Blueberry seeds and make f2's. In those f2's I believe you will find the gold. Just no one has the balls to drop that amount of coin and time on seeds that will be difficult to germ, and rather finicky to grow, and no guarantees that it will be worth it. Maybe I'll do it this winter.

Blueberry is getting the attention right now so I'm sure someone will bust out the old BB again :)

Q

quokka

I had a Blueberry Bubblegum smelling plant a couple of months ago, like Blueberry HubbaBubba...........

I had a bad day and discarded it along with some other nice cuttings, because they weren't 'perfect enough', and now i feel like a retard because they had very desirable traits even if they weren't completely perfect in structure :redface:

Stupid anxiety/ bipolar/ misc. mental issues. :mad: :shucks:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
lester aren't dj short's packs already at f4+?

i'm not sure making seeds from a pack would get you the open pheno variance of an f2. prob end up one step further in the IBL.

just a hunch. i'm still learning. maybe someone who knows better can chime in...

Don't buy seeds from Attitude posing as DJ Short Blueberry.

I paid $200 for beans that ain't the real deal. The cheap Blueberry beans I got from Canadian Seedbank and grew out in my last grow looked better than the so-called DJS seedlings I have.

I gotta say, someone on another thread did warn me that they were likely to be fakes because DJ doesn't sell his beans to as many companies as claim that he does. Dammit, I chased those genetics for a year and spent a lot of money to get them and it was all for nothing.

i'm not sure making seeds from a pack would get you the open pheno variance of an f2. prob end up one step further in the IBL.

just a hunch. i'm still learning. maybe someone who knows better can chime in...

The guy that correctly told me my DJS Blueberry from Attitude were fakes was talking to the man himself a few months back and his latest version of Blueberry is an F5.

I should have added that as an F5, DJ Short's current version Bluberry qualifies as an IBL for all intents and purposes.

Mikenite69

Veteran
I ran through a bunch of dj seeds to and haven't found anything close to the old stock. In the old stock u could find some beautiful plants and very little mutants and mutations now that the line is so inbred it's mutations and mutants galore with a musky, floral a hint of berry but nothing I would consider a keeper.

Also a thing to note about DJ's stock is he lost the male that originally produced the blueberry from the old school. Plus I have heard he doesn't even grow the plants anymore he pays someone to produce the beans that are sold. Even though I am sure dj is involved in the selection process.

Also there was a claim that dj was to remake the blueberry to what everyone wanted and it still hasn't happened yet. It's in a thread somewhere on this site. In no way a dig at DJ he produced one of my favorite strains of all times just I wish he would re-select his lines for the people. If you are paying for a line called blueberry and not find anything blueberry it's kind of dissapointing especially for the price tag. I understand it took many years to develop the line but still.

I'm at week 4 now today and last night I could smell blueberry! It's faint right now but it's definitely there. Still have lots of time to go for it to build I am stoked.

Today I am gonna hit the blueberry sativa with a slew of different pollens from flo-scout, blue ox, ogkb s1 male and fire cookie pollen. The one I am most excited about is the blue ox pollen or the flo-scout hopefully by adding more blue genes to the pool will hopefully bring out blueberry keepers in the beans popped we shall see.

End rant.

Miraculous Meds

I'm sure it can be found again. I know for fact that our packs were DJ Short. Someone just needs to grow out a few hundred DJ Blueberry seeds and make f2's. In those f2's I believe you will find the gold. Just no one has the balls to drop that amount of coin and time on seeds that will be difficult to germ, and rather finicky to grow, and no guarantees that it will be worth it. Maybe I'll do it this winter.

Blueberry is getting the attention right now so I'm sure someone will bust out the old BB again :)

So I know ur prob just using it as a expression but dj's stock is f5. It gets kind of confusing to say f2, when they are really f6 if u make seed from his stock.

And yes to heady blunts, that u would be further ibl'ing.

So I am doing a project like ur talking about with 50 dj seeds. But instead of open pollenating, im selecting 2 males for their most bb flavor characteristics. then im gonna breed them to my favorite girls based on their flavor. This will work and its not even hard to do per dj, to get more pronounced bb flavor. The pronounced bb flavor wasn't what dj's main objective was, actually the flavor wasn't an objective at all for him. the effect was the number one reason he developed bb to f5, which I believe he nailed. Then the blue hues were the other locked down characteristic. The berry terpenes just happened to accompany this breeding project. So dj's impression on a more pronounced bb flavor is yeah, its not hard to make a more flavored f6, but to what end. Does it still hold the effect u desire, which for dj, is the much more important reason for utilizing our favorite medicine.

That's dj's take, from my brief discussions with him and reading his writings.

Obviously most of us here also want that lip smacking full flavored bb too!

So my hope is to create a f6 or f7 that better locks in the deep bb flavor, then find my favorite from that seed stock for effect. But it bares repeating that I found a great bb flavored pheno in my 2 packs I already ran. And im confident in the packs I just popped that I will find another great bb pheno.

oh and if u can hook up with dj in person, and want to buy a bunch of packs, im sure u will find it a economical deal compared to purchasing thru distributors. When I met him I got 5 packs of each line, and was very happy with the deal he gave me.

bigshrimp

Veteran
Berry Juice x Blue Moonshine - Very nice girl, just not the blue i'm looking for...
picture.php

View image in gallery

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
My bad guys, I know he's out to f5, just had a brain fart when typing.

I still believe those genes are in that pool, I would open pollinate a few hundred and see what shakes loose. I have worked blueberry extensively, know what to look for.

May be a lot of time and work as like mentioned, it is bottlenecked and inbred by now. But those doors can always be unlocked.

Being on the right coast makes it tough to bump into DJ and get beans, I'll have to look into my best options to find enough stock. I wouldn't mind some older stock.

Attitude still peddling fakes??

I have been watching Greenpath seeds work and have seen some desirable traits appearing in his plants, which are DJ packs f whatever.

There is hope!!

Scrappy-doo

MM, have you ever had this full flavored old school bb we're talking about? Reason I ask is that there's lots of berry smelling and to some degree flavored blueberries out there. It's not all that hard to find something most would consider as having a berry or even blueberry profile, but if you ever had that special one it's just on a different level. I only got to smoke 1 bowl of it and it was years ago and tbh I've never had anything like it since. Grown tons of plants that have a berry smell but it's just not the same.

Personally I don't think it's something that can be found in dj's current stock. The parents are too far removed from it. I could be wrong and hope I am. The best bet is most certainly to chuck some pollen and search through big numbers, but if you haven't had a taste of that pheno it's not going to be easy because not all berries are created equal. Most don't transfer to flavor.

To some degree I'm searching in the dark because I've never grown the pheno I'm looking for. All I have to go on is a bud I smoked years ago, so as good as the ones I have now smell, it's hard to tell what they will end up being like.

I really think the best bet is to either get an old school cut or to get beans made from it. Lem's cut from everything I've read sounds like the one, but I haven't smoked it so it could all just be hype. Mikenite knows exactly what he's looking for. Gonna have to save a bud off each of these for you to sample brah and get a taste of your cut. Won't be able to flower her out myself till the days get shorter.

Miraculous Meds

Im with u scrappy, very similar experience. One bag of it back in 94. Its left such a lasting impression im still searching for it. Never grown that pheno either.

So while im no expert, I have experienced the flavor ur talking about. And out of 11 females in my first run, only 1 had a real bb fruit flavor. While the other 10 females for me, were mainly earthen/floral with a 10% berry note. Its obviously the same genetic family we are looking in, just a different dad from that late 80's early 90's cut. So I believe it can be found in current stock or the next f gen there after. But I also agree the biggest shortcut is the old school cuts or seeds from them. Problem is I don't have access to either so im working with what I got.

Latest posts

Latest posts