What's new

Benzalconium chloride

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I left it evaporating for about 48h, until it was completely dry. I then put it in a heat mat for a while (~45' at 50C), until it was liquid again and scraped it into a pile in the middle of the pyrex and there I whipped it multiple times with a needle. Do you think that's enough purging or should I heat it more? I took a couple of dabs and there was no alcohol taste (I'm fairly new to dabbing so it still is rough for me, I coughed like there was no tomorrow), the effects were potent too, I regretted doing it in the morning.

Poorly purged ethanol extracts, will have a sweet taste.

If you are new to dabbing, might I suggest smaller dabs, don't inhale deeply and hold on to the vapor, cause it expands a bunch.

Biohpilic

I think I'll decarboxylate it for experimentation's sake when I have the time, that way I'll be able to feel any difference in taste. Anyway, I'll make sure to try it again when I get home to see how sweet it is... I might even try it tomorrow too haha

Thanks for the smaller dabs advice, i'll keep that in mind. However, I don't get why I shouldn't inhale deeply and hold on to the vapor. It's vapor so it makes sense to me to take smaller dabs precisely in order to be able to breath deeply and hold on to it for a while, so that my lungs have the time to extract all the good stuff from the vapor.

Also, I have been thinking and this is an extremely easy process and the materials needed are basically good ethanol (I learned the lesson) and pyrex dishes. I'm new to the extractions thing but it seems to me that it's way easier than bho or any extraction with other solvents. So, I'm thinking about doing a small tek with pictures of the process, which would basically be a simplification of the qwet article in skunkpharm, plus a few adaptations to the materials I have available. Do you guys think it would be useful at all or are there already a thousand tutorials on qwet extractions?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think I'll decarboxylate it for experimentation's sake when I have the time, that way I'll be able to feel any difference in taste. Anyway, I'll make sure to try it again when I get home to see how sweet it is... I might even try it tomorrow too haha

Thanks for the smaller dabs advice, i'll keep that in mind. However, I don't get why I shouldn't inhale deeply and hold on to the vapor. It's vapor so it makes sense to me to take smaller dabs precisely in order to be able to breath deeply and hold on to it for a while, so that my lungs have the time to extract all the good stuff from the vapor.

Also, I have been thinking and this is an extremely easy process and the materials needed are basically good ethanol (I learned the lesson) and pyrex dishes. I'm new to the extractions thing but it seems to me that it's way easier than bho or any extraction with other solvents. So, I'm thinking about doing a small tek with pictures of the process, which would basically be a simplification of the qwet article in skunkpharm, plus a few adaptations to the materials I have available. Do you guys think it would be useful at all or are there already a thousand tutorials on qwet extractions?

The dabbing advice was how to minimize coughing. A little experimenting will answer a lot of questions for you.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As long as it implies covering my brain in thc experimenting sounds awesome hahaha

Experience is the best teacher, except maybe sometimes the part about the lesson coming after the experience.

Hee, hee, hee...........

Biohpilic

I just saw this in the stickies under cannabis concentrates, https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=66497 and all it says about what to use is "91% iso is what i used but can use as low as 70%.........rest of % is water and takes longer to dry.........". Looking at the picture that's the kind of alcohol I used and it had the BC on it so maybe a little warning may be added in the tutorial. Can that be done? I'm just thinking about people who might try it in the future.