What's new

Beneficial Microbes & Coco

T

TribalSeeds

there is no problem in adding beneficial microorganisams to cocos... there is 2 rules to be followed, as soon as your media dries out the MOs die (cause the mineral salts in the media, would attract the H2O from the bodies of the MOs -> killing them/drying them out/rupturing there ectodermis), 2nd remove the chlorine from the water (12 - 24 hours of standing for the chlorine to evaporate or get some aquaristic dechlorination solution)...

blessss

I was just reading how they survive drought in huge trees and blossom every year anyway.

Y

YosemiteSam

untitled-0014.jpg

Some myko (cause I don't know how to spell the real word) fungi in coco with some perlite, no chlorine removed from tap water, 80 ppm P and home made salt nutes.

It is getting harder by the day to convince me this shit kills fungi at least

I like to mix and match at this point...some teas, some chems, some fungus added...don't really care what anyone else calls it.

Blaz3

YOSEMITE..yes that looks alot like what I was describing..except mine is in coir...and yes,I water everyday with nutrients..sometimes molasess..anything I have on hand really...and so far,it has not killed or harmed the fungi as far as I can tell...

Would I absolutely recommend beneficial fungi/bacteria?...no..I feel it hasnt really helped with anything,the only reason I did it was because I had a sample,and I wanted to use it up already...

Would I go out of the way,and ORDER some...NO...Id rather spend my hard earned money on supplements that I FEEL work...such as liquid kelp..liquid karma..koolbloom..

Y

YosemiteSam

I won't bother to add it anymore either...can't see a difference in final product at all.

The mushrooms in an earlier post grew on their own though. I did nothing to encourage it.

I do not believe in any supplements period.

I have become a believer in bio teas though...applied once a wk in place of food.

S

SeaMaiden

I was just reading how they survive drought in huge trees and blossom every year anyway.

And *I* was just reading about how it's been 'discovered' (I always figured it was like this because of how furunculosis spreads) that different microbes attach themselves to different sized soil particles. Some attach to larger conglomerate pieces when they go into dormancy, and aren't spread quite as far upon the wind. Others become dust in the wind and may travel very far and very wide.

So, I think perhaps it's a misstatement when people say, "If you let the soil dry out the microbial life DIES!" I believe it likely goes into a dormant state.

quinoa64

After reading the Bokashi for Beginners thread (https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=162237) and doing some research and price comparison on various sources of beneficial bacteria, I decided to inoculate my coco+perlite mix with some bokashi starter.

The starter is (supposedly) dormant lactobaccillus. On the bag, the active ingredient is "[brandname] Probiotics Technology" so who knows, but clearly meant to be beneficial.

Using organic nutes and brita-filtered tap water.

Have had problems with fungus, bad smells, root rot in the past (I think my apartment is a hotzone for this stuff) so hoping the inoculation will prevent it. :blowbubbles:

The bokashi starter smells amazing -- not particularly good, but sweet/sour/malt clean. I dropped a little bit into a bubbler with some nutes and the water turned milky white overnight. So even though the starter is "dry", the microbes woke up and got right to work.

wasgedn

i think bokashi is an execellent home and food for mikorhizal fungi....bokashi is full of beneficial microbes as well...rockdust is in there too

wasgedn

The bokashi starter smells amazing -- not particularly good, but sweet/sour/malt clean. I dropped a little bit into a bubbler with some nutes and the water turned milky white overnight. So even though the starter is "dry", the microbes woke up and got right to work.
yes man thats great...have do try this too...should be a great tea

MedicinalLifer

coco is picky...

coco is picky...

I had my plants close to the floor I am in a basement apartment, like 3 inches off the floor, growth was slow and I know enuff that you dont give them a night cycle when its a cold floor...no mould but I can see it happening... but once I put them on a table 18 inches off the floor, they exploded with growth so my old place was totally mouldy under sub floor and walls from leaky foundation, plants didnt want to live didnt matter what I did, foundation finally failed flooded me out...so new place is dry no mould in floor or walls, plants want to grow...house health is primary to healthy garden

SamsonsRiddle

so if one had great white and myko extreme (granular) on hand and wanted to inoculate his coco medium while still in solo cups, how would he go about doing so? currently using salts at low ppm in distilled water.

i keep moving closer and closer to starting down the organic path but would like to see what kind of help beneficials can bring to the current coco grow.

Latest posts

Latest posts