What's new

Beneficial Microbes & Coco

watts

ohms
Veteran
I'm using GH nutrients and non-chlorinated water. Will beneficial microbes be able to survive in 100% coco with these high salt nutrients? If not, would adding floralicious plus and molasses be pointless?

jackmayoffer

Veteran
I'm using GH nutrients and non-chlorinated water. Will beneficial microbes be able to survive in 100% coco with these high salt nutrients? If not, would adding floralicious plus and molasses be pointless?
If the salts are high enough to kill bennies they would be high enough to kill your plants. You can look up my growfor more info I use Heavy 16 and brew teas weekly.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Tis is an interesting topic. I have begun adding tea to my coco once a week and have eliminated chlorine and other microbe killers.

Jack, The idea that refined nutrients harm the microherd is fairly prevalent throughout the internet. Of course so is lots of other possibly ficticious info, so i do not know. I'm going to go and check out what your doing...

watts

ohms
Veteran
Ive read its a myth that mineral/synthetic nutrients kill mycorrhiza.

i was wondering do microbes grow naturally in coco, even without adding teas or benefcials manually. If so, I was going to feed the coco molasses so they can survive. If not, then I won't bother using molasses.

Granger2

Veteran
Why not inoculate with beneficials, and nurture them, so they can nurture you plants? Coco is hospitable to beneficials. -granger

watts

ohms
Veteran
Yes I will do that if i have to. I was just going to give them GH flora series nutes and molasses but obviously there's no point in using molasses unless you inoculate with beneficials I guess.

Y

YosemiteSam

untitled-0043.jpg

coco with some perlite. reused a couple of times. fed with raw salts including some dpta and edta. no attempt made to eliminate chlorine (fill the res and feed a few minutes later)

but never fed above an EC of 1.5

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my understanding, as long as there's moisture, there's microbes.. besides chlorine / chloramine..

I'm don't understand using molasses...I just don't..

I

IMedicate

Which bacteria and fungi do you want in your coco? Theres so many, which brew does everyone use?

S

SeaMaiden

They can, but there are some questions. Which microbes? Mycorrhizae take a while to really get going, perhaps too long to really be of benefit when cultivating cannabis.

I've never used Floralicious, can't speak to it, but because plants can and do take up simple sugar molecules through the rhizosphere, it is certainly possible they use the available sugars in molasses. I personally have always used sugars and always will.

I am also NOT married to molasses.
If the salts are high enough to kill bennies they would be high enough to kill your plants. You can look up my growfor more info I use Heavy 16 and brew teas weekly.
Not quite true. If you get high enough concentrations in terms of percentages you absolutely will kill off microbes without killing off the plants. P is the the macronutrient that most stands out for me on this one, I've read quite a bit that states empirically and unequivocally that high P levels can and do kill them off. The research and papers are out there.
Tis is an interesting topic. I have begun adding tea to my coco once a week and have eliminated chlorine and other microbe killers.

Jack, The idea that refined nutrients harm the microherd is fairly prevalent throughout the internet. Of course so is lots of other possibly ficticious info, so i do not know. I'm going to go and check out what your doing...
It's prevalent in the organic agricultural world, not just the internet.
Ive read its a myth that mineral/synthetic nutrients kill mycorrhiza.

i was wondering do microbes grow naturally in coco, even without adding teas or benefcials manually. If so, I was going to feed the coco molasses so they can survive. If not, then I won't bother using molasses.
No, it's not a myth, it's based on real research. Use molasses whether or not you're culturing microbes.

Are any of you familiar with Google Scholar? If you plug in your search terms without the cannabis/marijuana tags then I think you'll be amazed at what you pull up. Debates like 'do plants use molasses or is it just for the microbes' are quickly and easily put to bed once you start using this resource.

http://www.scholar.google.com

Some hits on "conventional fertilizer affect microbes."

Some hits on "plants uptake sugar roots."

T

The Sensi Rebel

I just converted from chem ferts to organic and I'm trying to stay away from salts &(even though i have how many bottles waiting to be used).. I'm really only using cal-mag and sillicates for inorganic materials on occaisional feedings.

If you wanna go the microbe route, I'd say cut the chem ferts and feed teas.
If you still want to keep your synthetics going, it's just a waste of time to bother with mykes and such, because they aren't converting any raw material into food, they just kinda have to co-exist with the salts you feed them.

DrFever

Veteran
with coco being very high in phos i think IMO it would be hard for micro organisms to thrive using molasses is to help feed micro organisms but again with high acidity ranges and chemical nutrients every feeding you are killing them
you need to find the happy medium or just go peat based soiless or organic
I have grown for a long time and can honestly tell you that micro organisms will out last your grow from start to finish so why do people add molasses ????
they think its going to help but most importantly what molasses is doing is giving your plant sugars and starches carbs etc helping plant with any defiencies that occur during all stages of growth
You will here people say well i got better yields useing molasses again your molasses did very little to the organisms but rather gave your plant a extra boost of essential elements to make it healthier healthy plants yields better then def plants right
My suggestion to the op is using coco being it has high phos you need to flush it weekly most coco grows need calmag coco doesn;t really break down right it can be used over n over
what i would do is if you want to get into the micro organism world do like i did
purchased profesional pro-mix i use all 3 of these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8gsBtB3A7Y
but also i add manures ,sea composts and some organic soil with amazing results

for you add coco to it would be incredible i will also be giving coco added to my soil recipe in the future

I

IMedicate

no, I'm well aware of the thought behind it..

"supposedly the molasses feeds the beneficial bacteria" ..so does the plant

Now I'm confused, everything I read so far says that molasses feeds the beneficial bacteria. What is actually going on?

Y

YosemiteSam

Plants pump sugars to their roots every night. That sugar feeds the microbes which, in turn, make food available for the plant. When you feed molasses you interfere with that communication.

The only thing is you have to have enough Boron to allow the sugar transfer to take place...it does not take much.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Paul Stamets has grown mushrooms on piles of dirt mixed with crude oil as a demonstration on how they can be used to clean up oil spills. Beneficials can grow in nearly any conditions, but the type and numbers you get vary enormously from what I've read. Chemical nutes in light application may not kill the mycellium or any specific beneficials, but they may severely interrupt the balance between them. Water without chlorine is the single most important thing I think, plus it's important to have some beneficials in there to start with. That's something a little bit of quality compost can easily provide even by top-dressing and clean water. Air is a big deal too, roots love air, leaves love air, it all loves air. If you have enough coco in your organic mix(or all coco), over-watering is not a real issue unless you let the water stay standing(drainless setups for example). This is nice to deal with the top-bottom moisture difference in the presence of airflow. I'm going to be trying mulch soon too, I've heard it keeps the moisture loss more uniform. I also read that it helps keep the surface of your soil from crusting up. Some people use coir chips for mulch.