What's new

Behind Closed Doors. GrowerGoneWild (^_^)

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Today:

The pain of running a table with mixed strains...

All my female clones look _great_ they are really starting to take root, they are perking up.

On the other hand..

Some seedlings are not looking so good, I dont think its light burn, light is too far away from that.. its either cal/mag problems OR phosphrous problems.

Solution.

I will run the aeroponics for 24 hours, with no time off, just to make sure they are all getting a fair share of food.

If in the next few days growth more problems exist, I'll dump the tank, and just go to bloom nutrients.

Looked at the clones, looks like they are taking root.. So I decided to transfer the lot of them to the veg tray. I was gonna make a mom out of a White Widow cutting, but, it didn't take root, so I cut again, gelled, and back into the rockwool it went.

I'm doing a little experiment..

45W LED VS 45W Flo for cuttings and seedlings.
Right now the light is on 24/7 (I'll have to put it on a timer)

I also retimed the co2 fan.

So it was kinda a bummer for me today.. No mom.. and a few sick plants... dammit.

Think Green

This should prove interesting. I myself use cfl for my veg chamber. I was planning on making the switch to pl-l lamps for the sheer fact that they throw way more lumens per sq.ft. I will be following this thread closely. I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to save power in the veg room so your findings will certainly be useful. With all the new sh*t the Hydro industry throws at us, it's hard to sort out which new equipment will benefit a garden. Hopefully your investment will pay off. Keep us updated on the results GGWild!

:smoke:

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
This should prove interesting. I myself use cfl for my veg chamber. I was planning on making the switch to pl-l lamps for the sheer fact that they throw way more lumens per sq.ft. I will be following this thread closely. I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to save power in the veg room so your findings will certainly be useful. With all the new sh*t the Hydro industry throws at us, it's hard to sort out which new equipment will benefit a garden. Hopefully your investment will pay off. Keep us updated on the results GGWild!

:smoke:

Yes its hard to figgure out what is a good product and what is just marketing hype.

To make things clear.

I'm trying to figgure out where this light is most useful, cuttings, or seeds.. moms.

So I'm doing a side by side test:
-45W LED, Seeds and fresh cut clones.
-45W CFL FLo, Seeds and fresh cut clones.

I'm looking for 2 things.

- What roots first,
- Least ammount of seedling stretch, and strong leaf development.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Working on something to hang in the garden, plant sickness guide.

Taking stiches guide and making something I can look at in the growroom. Mebby hang it on the wall.

Last edited:

IamNug

Hi ggw,

Really nice how the room has transformed! I also like your veg nook. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work! I'll check back from time to time.

Take care!

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Hi ggw,

Really nice how the room has transformed! I also like your veg nook. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work! I'll check back from time to time.

Take care!

Thank you for the compliments.

The room(s) are going to evolve over time.

Future Upgrades:

-Sentinel Computer Controled Climate.
-PLC Automated Res dump and fill.
-Additional Lights perhaps a MH.
-Reflectix on the ceeling.
-Electrical Subpanel

It will take time to dial in this grow, But the growroom is functional.
Not exactly to my liking, but its working.

I am adopting the japanese philsophy of "kaizen" (continual improvement for this growroom).

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Today:

Quote for the day..
Your garden will reveal yourself.
- Henry Mitchell

So, I have a few sick plants, this is the trouble with a mixed phenotypes. Some are easy to feed and some are not.

I have some leaves on my larger plants that looks like either a P or Cal-Mag def.

Theory:

1) Water quality isn't that good, I used straight tap. @ 100 PPM. And I did nothing to
dechlorinate it. So its possible the mineral content was too low. The water is pretty soft around here so..

2) These plants are making roots like crazy, when I mixed Micro/Bloom in the typical 2:1 ratio, there is a possiblity I might have not measured correctly. I kinda guestimated it.
Ok I admit it I used an empty beer can (355ml in a can BTW) So from the start it might have been imbalanced.

3)PH problems, I remember one day the PH seemed a bit high, and it was. I corrected it and pushed it lower.

So... to fix it:..

1) Trim off crappy disesased leaves so I can determine if I'm actually doing anything worthwhile.

2) It looks like cal/mag problems and P problems, both traceable back to water and possible bad/rushed mixing.

3) Dose Res to bump up cal-mag to bump up PPM 100 from 1150 to 1250

4) Dose Res with epsoms to take PPM to 1250 to 1350.

5) Dose Res with flora series bloom (0-5-4) 1350 to 1450.

Final PH 5.4

Next time:

Carefully measure when using Micro/Bloom.
Cal-Mag and Epsoms will have to be used as a preventative measure.
My standard 2:1 ratio of Micro to Bloom in veg will be altered a bit from 2. 1.5.
Dechor Juice (Sodium Thisosulfate will be used)
Floralicious Grow will not be used next veg cycle.
Take better care of the PH meter.

Um.. checked out Mom, looks good, shes got rootage!

LED/Flo project looks the same.. no change.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Nutrient Selection:

Bleh, I know I said Maxibloom for the grow, but to be honest, the 2 users that were fighting about it in a floranova alternative thread, neither had any _personal_ grow pictures to back up their claims..

Thats a HUGE problem IMHO. Not saying they aren't credible, I'm just saying that I'm not getting this fuzzy feeling from it.

So my final word on this...

Botanicare Pure Blend Pro.

1) Somewhat organic in nature.
2) Cheaper than FN for the same bottle.
3) Less solids.

Anywho I remember a long time ago OG 03 how much PBP was pushed. It must be good its still around. I like organics, for some reason they have a larger margin of error with it.

Anywho, I got 7 more days to run this tank before I swap over.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Plants look good today, they are all starting to get bushy.. It might be a bit soon to see if cal-mag did the trick..

Put the clones and seedlings in a cabinet, I put the cabinet in the flower room, however, its leaking light, I might just put that cabinet somewhere else.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Looking back:

I'm taking a closer look at the plant sickness problems I might have caused using my 2:1 formula. Whats more confusing is that some plants looked sick while some didnt. Some strains were more resistant. And the last thing is that I've used this formula in the past and its worked just fine...

Hmmm.. I do believe I used Diamond Nectar before, this is the first time I've run without it... That might be the problem. (0-1-1)?

Looks like its way low in MG, S, Fe, and Phosporous. That could be the problem right from the start.

Anywho, I'm phasing out the Flora series of GH, just too much hassle. A single part nutrient like maxi grow should work just fine. Its just veg, stretch phase veg but..

So my guess of adding.. Botinacare Cal-Mag + Epsoms and additional bloom is whats needed.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Today:

-Pulled a few males out of the bloom room and pulled males from the clone tray.

-I moved the vegging nook to an unused closet. I'm consoldating all the cloning, veging, Mom's to one closet. The unused nook was kinda a pain in the ass to deal with. I kept on hitting my head.

-Ak Ice is off to a rough start. They are stretched and stressed, lets just say LED is NOT a good option for seedlings. So far the CFL of the same wattage outperformed the LED.
Made a DWC bucket for them.

-Bumped up the PPM in the tank to 1500 PPM.

Tomorrow I'll be riggin up the closet, Gotta rearrange shelves, and get the clone area set, gonna get rid of the E&F setup and just run DWC from now on..

Think Green

Make sure to throw up some pics GGWild. Wanna see that new setup. Hey, maybe you could take a sawzall to that nook! :wallbash:

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Make sure to throw up some pics GGWild. Wanna see that new setup. Hey, maybe you could take a sawzall to that nook! :wallbash:

Well to access that nook, you actually had to open a closet door, and behind the backdoor of the closet was the mom/veg area. It was all secret like :)

Well its a complete pain in the ass to maintain veggies that way.

Secondly, the clones took up a cabinet all to themselves, and seeing how the light schedule for clones, vegs, and moms could be on the same schedule. It just made sense to incorporate all 3 into one 18/6 closet.

Heres the strategy.

2 Mom's in DWC 5 gal Buckets.
20 clones in DWC (mebby more)
2 clone trays that can house 10 clones in each humidity dome.

Updated Lighting.

All is on 18/6.

Mom's (2) 45W CFL + 45W LED for side lighting.
Vegs. 100 W MH.
Clones, fresh cuts. 40 (2) plant 48 inch flo's

Air, I'll prolly just find a little fan and put a carbon filter on it.

I think I got enough mylar to wrap this closet up.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Today:

Redid the closet. Its not quite finished yet. Gotta rehang the door. gonna make an intake/exhaust for the area.

This is what is looks like now.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Just looking at rez dog's formula.

Rez Dog's
==The Recipe==
You've been asking exactly how I do what I do,with ferts, for a good long time.
This is a recipe for anybody to follow,based on my decade-plus experiences with GenHy's Flora Series.
It does smokin' good for me,your results may vary.
I'm always tweaking the above,and you should,too.

==The Recipe==

(All Products are GenHydro,pH at 5.5 pH)
(All measurements are per gal.)
6ml flora micro
9ml flora bloom
Kool-Bloom POWDER

VEGETATIVE STAGE AT 24 HRS. LIGHT ON
(18/6,optional)

Veg,Feed:

6ml flora micro
9ml flora bloom

Use the above 1/2-strength on seedlings and clones to 10" tall,then feed full-strength>on.

Based on 63 day 12/12 Flower Cycle:

Day 1-14
6ml micro
9ml bloom

Day 15-21
6ml micro
9ml bloom
1 tsp./Gal. Kool-Bloom POWDER (ONE FEED,DAY 15!)

Day 22-28
6ml micro
9ml Bloom

Day 29-35
9ml Bloom
1 tsp./gal. Kool-Bloom POWDER (ONE FEED,DAY 29!)

Day 36-52
9 ml Bloom
(AND ON DAY 36,a 1 tsp./gal Kool-Bloom POWDER Slam!!)

Day 52-63 (Flush)
5.5-6.0 pH h20 at 50 ppm

Now you know!!

=============

OK what do do we know?..

I'm just looking at the base formula for Rez's..

the 6:9. Sixty-Nine :) That should be easy enough to remember.

IamNug

sup ggw,

You are keeping this thread interesting I see. :) Good work on the veg closet, nicely organized and I see your logic for only needing one space under 18/6 schedule. Plus head room and vertical height is always a good thing. I am curious what nutrient software that is you posted a screenshot of? Seems like a good way to calculate how much nutes to use. Thanks again for sharing.

Take care!

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
sup ggw,

You are keeping this thread interesting I see. :) Good work on the veg closet, nicely organized and I see your logic for only needing one space under 18/6 schedule. Plus head room and vertical height is always a good thing. I am curious what nutrient software that is you posted a screenshot of? Seems like a good way to calculate how much nutes to use. Thanks again for sharing.

Take care!

I had to pull everything into one easy to access space.

It was getting stupid, mom and veg tray in one place. Clones and cuttings in another place. Instead of walking from here to there, lets just take care of everything at once.

I also had to contain the mom, I'm telling you for a mom, she's just smelly.

I'm still working on it tho' I need a fan to push the stale air up and out of the closet and put clean air into the house. Wiring is a mess.

The software is NutraSolve 4.0. Just google it, Its an excellent tool if you use GH's Flora series.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Today:

Bloom:
-I rearranged some plants, and pulled another male..
-Everything is good, holding steady at 1480 PPM @ 5.5 ph.
-cal-mag/phos problem looks like its fixed..

Veg/Clone/Mom:
-Closet in construction, did a little wiring, put some hooks in.
-DWC, bubbler done, 25 site bucket,
-Trying out rez dogs veg nute schedules, 6:9 ratio.

Note to self, I thought I had heated seedling mats.. I need some of those.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
GGW, if you decide to follow The Recipe, you won't be disappointed. It doesn't get much more straightforward. I'm loving the room transformation, looks great!

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
GGW, if you decide to follow The Recipe, you won't be disappointed. It doesn't get much more straightforward. I'm loving the room transformation, looks great!

Yeah I'm trying to use up my flora series nutes. I'm moving over to maxi grow.. mebby.

I know its for coco but I looked at the profile, and this should work for my dwc vegs.

I'm glad somebody like Rez, likes GH, this pretty much confirms what I've thought about them all these years, good shit, good price.