What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Befri's 2K Basement Grow

Befri

I've been having issues with green algae growing in the tray and on top of the medium in the pots. I have also noticed the algae in the hydroton itself. Its only green. I'm using the lucas formula with some Kelp extract. What is the best way to get rid of this, and to prevent it too? I was thinking of using EWC tea, but its not the blown slim. But I'm not sure what will fix it. I have tried 3% h202 in the rez at 2mil per gallon. The algae hasn't went away. Thoughts??

AS you can see in the pic, the algae is all over the roots in the pic. Also on the tray itself.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Hey Hydro, Whatcha know about this!!?? :joint:

DSC_0001-1.jpg

I know I love it! and I bet you love it too ;)

Peace, :joint:

knowhere

use tray covers or make them out of reflectix to prevent algae build up make sure that the holes in the covers are exact cut to fit the size net pots you use, if you opt for using reflectix for your covers you will need some strong spring clamps to hold the reflectix tight on the top of the tray and you can trace your net cuts and cut slightly smaller with an exacto knife for a tight fit, you can clean the trays and rocks with hydrogen peroxide and viniger use hard plastic scrub brushes to get the crevices clean.

Mist

I've been having issues with green algae growing in the tray and on top of the medium in the pots. I have also noticed the algae in the hydroton itself. Its only green. I'm using the lucas formula with some Kelp extract. What is the best way to get rid of this, and to prevent it too? I was thinking of using EWC tea, but its not the blown slim. But I'm not sure what will fix it. I have tried 3% h202 in the rez at 2mil per gallon. The algae hasn't went away. Thoughts??

AS you can see in the pic, the algae is all over the roots in the pic. Also on the tray itself.

plants11-27-09021.jpg

Whoa! That is some nasty algae for sure. I take the plants out of my flood table every 10 days or so and scrub the shit out of it. I totally drain the resovior and scrub it out too. I get some algae growth over the time in between, but it is minor and is easily scrubbed off. One think that will help the the plants is to use ebb&flo type square pots instead of net pots. That way the roots won't be exposed to the light or that air as much. How Often are you flooding the table. I only ask because my plants roots get air pruned when they come out of the pots or grodan cubes and get hit with the light.
Another option may be to wrap black plastic around the net pots so that the light doesn't get in. Leaving the bottoms open of course, LOL.
Another option may be to use an ebb and flow tray mat. THey make them out of CoCo and Sure to Grow even has one. That way the roots and also the bottom of the tray wouldn't be in direct contact with the light.

Befri

Well...here is what is to come....new upgrades!! 2- 12XL UC Systems over 6-1000watt HPS!!
Once I finish this grow, out with old and IN with the new!!

I call this my DIY UC system.....I wanted to give it a try. I'm not much for DIY systems unless they are of the exact same quality of the original system. So I gave it a wack. Tell me what you think?

Some shots of the making

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Looks great to me! Are those the exact same 8gal buckets? Also maybe wrap the buckets in prodex like Raphel did in his thread to prevent algae growth and help keep temps steady?

Befri

Looks great to me! Are those the exact same 8gal buckets? Also maybe wrap the buckets in prodex like Raphel did in his thread to prevent algae growth and help keep temps steady?

The buckets are the same 8 gallon that is in the UC system. What is PRODEX?? I thought about the white buckets maybe an issue. But I figured my trees were going to shade the buckets very well. :joint:

I pretty much used everything that they used on my system. As you can see the air pump is the same, Uniseals are used, 8 gallon buckets, etc.

Mist

I was to taken with the good job you did at recreating the UC system that I didn't even think about the white buckets. It will end up biting you in the ass in the long run since light will eventually cause algae to grow inside of them. But since you are still in the building process, and don't have plants in the units yet, you can easily take care of the problem. You could either use the old method of taping with plumbers reflective tape or you could go the much easier and more effective path and use Krylon Fusion spray paint that is made for plastics and requires no surface prep other than a clean dry surface. I wish they had it around when I was running DWC buckets. It would have saved me a lot of time and money. That damn tape is expensive! LOL
It also comes in many colors, but black is of course your best bet. Here is a link so that you can know what you are looking for. You should be able to find it locally since Krylon is such a popular brand. Walmart or auto part stores would probably be your best bet. Or maybe a pait supply store.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YUDZ6...iveASIN=B0002YUDZ6&adid=0RDHF06VTND7V9ZHFFPB&

Happy Growing.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Looking good sorry for being so slow on answering your question.

Prodex Total Insulation - Foil, Foam, Foil (FfmF): 1/4" thickness x 4 ft x 175 ft roll (700 sq ft), R-14.5, The #1 choice of Innovative Energy Conscious Builders!

The stuff is basically mylar on both sides with cool insulation in the middle. It has nice R rating and can be cut with a razor knife and glued to your buckets.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I have seen it block HID lights used as a wall with out any drywall or other wall board. So yeah I would say it blocks IR

Thermal barrier: R-value 21.1 with 2 layers. R-15.67 with single layer application R-value details.
Radiant barrier: Reflects 97% of radiant heat (the primary source of heat flow).
Vapor barrier: 0.033 gr/m2hkPa
Sound barrier: 19 db

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
The radiant barrier is the key as the IR detector will read that area as a void unless the radiant barrier itself heats up.

Great grow program. I've always said that these small "hobby" grows are the key to our community's happiness. ;)

E

EvasiveManeuver

Befri - Excellent DIY build bro, working on some similar plans myself right now. Did you paint the bucket lids or did they come in black? The only 8Gal. EZ Stor containers I can find all have white lids. Any chance you could liberate the knowledge of where you purchased those containers? Also the specs of the pumps - I think that's an AP-100 for the air pump right? Keep up the good work, and good luck on your next grow.

Befri

mpd - Thanks Bro!!

EvasiveManeuver- of course I will give any info you need on my system I did. :smoke:

Buckets and lids( I painted the lids)
http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item.asp?item=P108

Air pump is a AP-100 from EBAY!!

Uniseals,air diffusers, air stones
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/829/2-pipe-size-237-OD-3-holesaw-size

Water pump- I used a MAG Drive 18 since I have 3 of them laying around.

I'm pretty happy how it all came together....and was worth it for me to DIY on this. Saved about 45-50% of the money. I do have to cover the buckets cause they are white...but it will work fine!

SimplyGreen- The biozone works great....specially right outside the room. I do run a sealed room, so I don't have to worry about air exhange and smell from it.

E

EvasiveManeuver

Befri - Thanks for the information. What paint did you use on the lids(Krylon Fusion?) and is there any sign of chipping or peeling yet? Any prep work on the lids before paint was applied? If I remember correctly it claims that you can apply directly with no sanding or priming....Curious to know what worked for you.

Befri

Befri - Thanks for the information. What paint did you use on the lids(Krylon Fusion?) and is there any sign of chipping or peeling yet? Any prep work on the lids before paint was applied? If I remember correctly it claims that you can apply directly with no sanding or priming....Curious to know what worked for you.

Ya I used the Fusion. No prep at all....one thing is that it looks like some of the paint cracked where the hinge is. BUt overall works great. I'm going to cover the buckets with the silver IR blocker stuff from here http://www.insulation4less.com/Default.aspx.

Feijao

Are you putting one of those round airstones in each bucket? If not which stones are you using for the grow buckets?

Thanks and looking great brother