What's new

Be Careful With Sunshine Mix 4

juicer

has anyone here used berger peat before? apparently they take their peat from the same bogs as pro-mix, but they have a 100% organic product line. the only place i have found that carries any of their products is ag unlimited in ukiah. and all they have is the germinating mix. they can order the other mixes though. does anyone know if they have a bay area distributor?

http://www.bergerpeatmoss.com/products2.php?sc=114

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
has anyone here used berger peat before? apparently they take their peat from the same bogs as pro-mix, but they have a 100% organic product line. the only place i have found that carries any of their products is ag unlimited in ukiah. and all they have is the germinating mix. they can order the other mixes though. does anyone know if they have a bay area distributor?

http://www.bergerpeatmoss.com/products2.php?sc=114

They harvest in central/southern Manitoba and Quebec. The best Sphagnum peat moss to my knowledge comes from northern; Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and the Northwest Territories . Pro Mix also known as Premier gets their best stuff from northern Alberta....but there is likely nothing wrong with Berger product.

Dovepistil

Yep! My first bale of Sunshine #4 came with a lifetime supply of fungus gnats! Oh boy, what a pain in the arse! That made my decision to do hydroponics again and avoid the dirt hassle. Down with dirt!

Dude, Same issue with a bale ATM. Dude at the store is being all stuborn :never had an issue in 25 yrs" im like,, well its happening bud, runoff ppm 1500. Fukin pretty BS if you ask me. Seeing as i dont have a vehicle atm and have to get a drive an hour to get the stuff and have to lug it inside through a fairly public place at night to not be seen. Buti have always had great luck in the past. So its obviously a hit or miss thing. Still unfortunate.

VaporMan64

I got my 6 bails in Arcata last Sept. Ph all over the place and infested with gnats. I had a hell of a time with it. I ended up using a tiny amount in my mix. Sh*t's junk IMO

All my bales of SS mix#4 come with a sticker on the bale that says 65-75% Canadian Spagnum peat moss, horticultural grade perlite, dolomitic limestone.
My run off is always the same 6.0 - 6.3 from first watering all the way to disposal. doesn't matter what my nute or water PH is. I have fed with nutes that were in the 4.7 range & 7.5 range . Run off stays consistent. 3 years now. Biggest reason I don't like Pro mix is it is hard as a rock and MUST be watered and hand worked to insure substrate gets thoroughly wet. Not so with SS mix#4 for me it has been a great product

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ph all over the place and infested with gnats. I had a hell of a time with it. I ended up using a tiny amount in my mix.

Nasty...hate gnats!! Sunshine I used only once & mixed in other stuff with it since I bought it.

Better to mix your own...or add perlite to FF/HG/OC products.....different lots (bags of FF) seem to run 'hot'....so it's an automatic to add extra diffusers.

BugEBushman

I have been using sunshine mix#4 for 2 years with no problems. If my bale gets dried out and turns hard I just take the time to work the lumps out. I use general organics organic line with sea green.

BugEBushman

I forgot to mention that I use just ph'd water till the plants start demanding food. I have never had issues out here in the west coast.

C

chris harris

Right from Sungro website.
Check out the initial PH( 4.6-5.2). And the initial EC 0.8-2.0. Only after soaking for 2 weeks does PH come up to 5.5-6.5
Dick all for "P", in an effort to allow mycorrihizal to colonize.

picture.php

frostqueen

Promix HP for the win. I've had much better results with it than the Sunshine #4. Maybe it depends upon what your food source is, but I love Promix HP. 2/3 Promix with 1/3 FF Ocean Forest is ideal for my needs, with no ph weirdness that I've ever seen.

hillbil

I use the basic mixes interchangeably and really like promix but fafard 3b is my favorite. Used it for years after I bought all I could from a nursery that went out of business. It's a medium weight mix with composted pine bark added. Nurseries use tons of pine bark mixes.

The amendments and final drainage are what make the mix and I never use a freshly mixed or wetted mix. Not a scientist but a lot of shit happens at first soaking.

Jim Rockford

Veteran
Don't blame the soil, countless growers have had huge success with Sunshine #4. Grown in Sunshine Organic #4: