What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Basement Buds in Bed

bibi40

Hi mate ,

this weird growth is really interresting , never saw that ,
eager to see what' s coming ...

:tiphat:

G

Picture dump...

Mendocino Purple Kush is a go!

picture.php

Cover crop starting to come up, too! These must be the winter rye, I'm guessing...

picture.php

Sugar Puffs

picture.php

Three Queens

picture.php

1/2

G

Needed to use a sterile razor on the Mendocino Purple Kush to separate the cotyledons. Couldn't get it all the way, but opened her up enough for that first set of leaves to pop out.

picture.php

Another shot of the cover crop seedlings, good diversity.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Just noticed the one of the center leaf fingers on the VG Bubba S1 is super short...weird.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Also noticed tonight that the first node of the VG Bubba has 4 branches instead of two...the only node on her like it, so far as I can tell. She's begging for me to take clones lol

picture.php

CSI Bubba is only 5 days younger than the VG Bubba, but is considerably shorter at about 3 weeks old.

picture.php

Three Queens

picture.php

Sugar Puffs

picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

I started noticing some clawing of the newer leaf tips on the VG Bubba, as well as what appeared to be either Fe/Zn deficiency or magnesium deficiency. I know I've been watering very lightly, but frequently, to help the cover crops germinate. But in the process, I started locking out certain nutrients to the more important plants...

I decided to stop watering everything yesterday and let the soil get some oxygen. Here are two profile shots of VG's Bubba from last night and this morning. The large fan leaves are not drooping as badly now, so things are headed in the right direction.

I also raised the light up a few inches. It was about 22" from the top of VG Bubba, and 24" from the top of CSI Bubba. I noticed the first signs of light stress on the CSI Bubba, which prompted the move up.

Last night

picture.php

This morning

picture.php

Peace
DM

Mattbho

Could be mistaken but i think some of the mutant bubbas grow outta any early deformities. Maybe Verdant green will pop in again. He would know .

I concur those yellow leaves at the bottom are classic overwatering . Soil looks a lil hot for those seedlings. You ever think about taking cup of soil out and starting them in less potent mix and let them gradually grow into the super soil?

They will grown into it and be just fine im sure. I dont think bubba is considered a heavy feeder.

G

Good points. Once I get a proper clone/seedling chamber running, I plan to start them off in smaller cups or some facsimile. Plenty of coco coir and worm castings just lying around, too.

Peace
DM

G

Snagged a few shots last night and this morning...

CSI Sugar Puffs day 9

picture.php

CSI Three Queens day 12 - she also appears to have suffered from a bit of overwatering, but dried out for a couple of days and doing better now.

picture.php

Whole flower bed

picture.php

Lacy Phacelia seedling, the seed never separated and the cotyledons formed this cool shape around the first set of leaves...

picture.php

Crimson Clover seedling, just really like the color on these...

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Found another deformity on the CSI Bubba last night. There's an extra leaf finger growing out of the center of one of the fan leaves.

CSI Bubba day 23

picture.php

picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush day 6 - she seems reluctant to spit out that 2nd set of leaves. Not going to do anything but watch her...

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

I'm getting worried that there may be an empty spot in the flower bed if this mendocino purple kush doesn't start running. After long consideration, I started germinating the last 4 of those seeds since their viability is questionable, at best. And I wouldn't try to run them again for 3+ years with the current backlog of seeds I'm itching to run...

If one or more of the last 4 seeds pop, I'll take my new Super Sprouter dome w/ heated mat and 18W T5 bulb for a test drive. Did a little more drywall and insulation the last couple of days, so nice that it's a personal project and doesn't have to be perfect or fast. Case in point:

picture.php

Here she is, living rent free in my bed. You better start earning it, girl!

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

2 of the 4 final Mendocino Purple Kush seeds cracked open after 24 hours. I put them in a 50/50 soil/coco coir mix in the propagation dome, along with 2 clones from VerdantGreen's Bubba S1. She's got 5 tops, the side branches all caught up to the main top now.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

One more of the Mendocino Purple Kush seeds cracked open, so put her in a cup under the dome with the others. Both VG Bubba clones are perky and pointing towards the light.

I continue to only lightly water the two Bubba's every two days or so. They're still working through a backlog of moisture down in the depths of the bed I think...

VG Bubba day 30

picture.php

picture.php

CSI Bubba day 25

picture.php

picture.php

(1/2)

G

(2/2)

Three Queens day 15

picture.php

Sugar Puffs day 12

picture.php

Whole Bed

picture.php

African Night Crawler castings

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

One of the three CSI Mendocino Purple Kush seeds is poking its head above ground at about 60 hrs since germination began.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Now 2 of the final MPK seeds are moving upwards, but the MPK seedling in the flower bed is starting to show the tiniest bit of new growth after completely stalling out the last 5-6 days...

picture.php

I'm not sure why, but the Sugar Puffs over here looks like a cartoon version of a plant to me.

picture.php

Three Queens

picture.php

CSI Bubba S1

picture.php

VG Bubba S1

picture.php

It dawned on me, in all my brilliance, that the older plants in the bed were likely suffering from the 24-on light schedule I'd been keeping for the smaller plants. I gave them 8 hours of darkness last night and they seemed to respond well, perking up.

However, the worms (yes, still in the grow space) really do not like when the lights go out and the temp/RH swing so much. I put a 10"x20" vivosun heat mat under them right when I turned out the lights, and this morning it was like an Escape from Guantanamo Bay was underway... I still haven't completed the new worm bin I've been planning, life gets in the way, but I'm hoping they'll stay put in the new one when kept outside the grow space. It's heavy-duty, 4 big latches, one side completely hinged, by Plano. If they don't wanna stay put in there, I'll get some red wigglers and see how they do.

Peace
DM