What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Basement Buds in Bed

G

I'm not sure what's going on, but relative humidity has averaged lower since I reduced the fan speed...? And the difference between ambient and leaf surface temps has grown wider, up to about 7-8F now. Ambient temps are now 84-85F in order to keep leaf surface temp at 77F. Any ideas?

The third CSI: Humboldt Three Queens seed is making it's way above ground this AM. Dug around last night and found seed number two doing absolutely nothing.

picture.php

CSI Bubba day 10

picture.php

VG Bubba day 15

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Bear with me I'm a little high.. But was the air being brought in warmer and more humid, or from a warmer more humid part of your house

G

Bear with me I'm a little high.. But was the air being brought in warmer and more humid, or from a warmer more humid part of your house

Nope, air outside the room is 70F and RH is 45%. A head scratcher, for sure. I'll keep playing with it. Maybe move the lights further down and reduce the intensity a smidge. Thanks!

Peace
DM

TahoeTops

500 watts...lol
You are running way too much light for such young seedlings that are just starting photosynthesis
Your cotyledon are larger than those first leaves
Those are the energy the plant uses until it even needs light

I agree. You have way too much light for those babies.

I'm not sure what's going on, but relative humidity has averaged lower since I reduced the fan speed...? And the difference between ambient and leaf surface temps has grown wider, up to about 7-8F now. Ambient temps are now 84-85F in order to keep leaf surface temp at 77F. Any ideas?

The third CSI: Humboldt Three Queens seed is making it's way above ground this AM. Dug around last night and found seed number two doing absolutely nothing.

Peace
DM

Well... I have some ideas but I am not sure they will help!

Raise your light as high as it can go, if you are using the LED, or switch to less lumen lights.

I would worry more about ambient temps than leaf surface temps. It seems to me that your ambient is running high! I would try and keep your ambient in between 70 and 80 at the most.

Let your soil dry out more. You shouldn't need to mist them. But keep RH in between 50 and 70%.

I will keep an eye on your grow!:plant grow:

G

I agree. You have way too much light for those babies...

I'm on board with the fact that they don't need this much light, don't get me wrong. But saying that it's too much light implies that they won't thrive under current conditions. I got sloppy with one of my early waterings (hey, it's been 6 years) and caused some burn spots, but the plants certainly aren't dying. This horse is officially dead lol

...I would worry more about ambient temps than leaf surface temps...

When you get a physical at the doc, do they ask you what temperature your living room is? Or do they stick a thermo in your ear, mouth, butt, or what-have-you? Same thing here, leaf surface temps matter more to the health of the plant. Would you believe that certain chemical processes happen only at a specific range of leaf surface temperature? Ask these HID folks what their ambient and surface temps are...I'd wager most of them don't know, because if they did, they'd be shocked.

I'm still learning a lot of new things here, really not trying to be a smart ass, but the science behind plant biology says leaf surface temp is critical; ambient temp ranges that you describe could produce wildly different leaf surface temps depending on the light source.

I'm working on drying out the bed a bit more, and RH is still hanging around 60%. I've received most of my cover crop seeds, but need to wait for the last couple of packs before sowing them all in at once. So far I have winter rye, lady phacelia, crimson clover, and dill. Waiting on some white clover and something else...I think...lol

That Three Queens getting me excited again!

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Had an epiphany earlier... I removed the worm bin from the grow room right around the time that I adjusted the fan speed down. You know what was in the worm bin? A bunch of moisture... That may just explain the loss of humidity when the fan was turned down.

I'm not going to put the worm bin back in there, but I did set a couple of buckets of water on the floor to see what, if any, impact it would have.

Peace
DM

G

I gave the girls a few hours of darkness last night while I was installing a new GFCI outlet in the secondary part of the room. Still have some more insulation and green board/drywall to put up out there, but no rush on it just yet.

CSI Three Queens

picture.php

CSI Bubba S1

picture.php

VG Bubba S1

picture.php

Here's a shot of some Bubba Fett I got from a buddy. Definitely need a macro lens for the new camera...

picture.php

Looks like the worms are doing a good job in there. Since moving them out of the grow room, the bedding temp is hanging around 74-75F and they seem happy. Lots of egg sacs and tiny little babies crawling around in there...

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Getting the final two strains ready for the soil. A day ahead of schedule, but close enough...

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

There was an attempted mass exodus from the worm bin last night... Outside temps got relatively cold. Moved them back into the grow room for the time being, looking for heat mats now.

I decided to hang my thermo-hygrometer and let it dangle, instead of placing it on the soil (or on a small piece of cardboard on top of the soil). I think it was not giving accurate readings based on how it was positioned before. Now that it's hung, the ambient temp is reading around 79F and the leaf surface temps are registering 76F; in line with expectations now.

VG Bubba showing some new side branches

picture.php

CSI Bubba staying quite short so far

picture.php

CSI Three Queens seems excited to be here

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

CSI Sugar Puffs (Bubblegum x Mendo Purps) is ready to go after 24 hours...

picture.php

CSI Mendocino Purple Kush was a non-starter. Put her in a pot outside anyways...2nd attempt coming right up!

Peace
DM

Mattbho

You make me want to pop some beans !!! Get that cover crop in . I wouldnt worry too much about leaf surface temp. At this point . But a 7 deg difference must have to do with fan positioning imo.
Almost everyone under humidifies seedlings theres just little to no transpiration. Wait untill you get a mini jungle going .

Try your best to keep humidity over 60 this is all you can really do. Once you get cover crop and some plant mass going you will be glad you kept the 6 inch exhaust . Couple hours after lights out the plants dump water you will need that exhaust or a dehumidifier.. . You know all this .

I think ill snag some seed starting mix next time i hit crappy tire . Thanks for the inspiration

G

You make me want to pop some beans !!! Get that cover crop in . I wouldnt worry too much about leaf surface temp. At this point . But a 7 deg difference must have to do with fan positioning imo.
Almost everyone under humidifies seedlings theres just little to no transpiration. Wait untill you get a mini jungle going .

Try your best to keep humidity over 60 this is all you can really do. Once you get cover crop and some plant mass going you will be glad you kept the 6 inch exhaust . Couple hours after lights out the plants dump water you will need that exhaust or a dehumidifier.. . You know all this .

I think ill snag some seed starting mix next time i hit crappy tire . Thanks for the inspiration

:good:

I saw some CSI - The Black D on seed cellar and was this close to pulling the trigger... Too much stock to go through as it is, that's what happens when I take so much time away from growing.

Such great advice, again, thank you. I realized my ambient temp readings were skewed due to my lousy positioning of the thermo-hygro. Everything in check now, only 3F diff. Sometimes I feel like I'm learning to walk again here.

Cover crop should be installed this week, wed-fri timeframe. Lots of other projects around the recently purchased home, too. Have to keep up with the missus or she'll make me look bad.

I know the humidity is coming, but won't really know what I'm up against until I'm knee deep in it. It'll all be worth it when the room is dialed and I'm pumping out goodness for years to come.

Best of luck with the new ventures! ?

Peace
DM

G

The 2nd attempt at germinating a Mendocino Purple Kush seed also failed. 3rd attempt began with a light sanding of the seam of the shell before paper towel. I have 4 more seeds after this, so I'll have to step up the efforts if this one fails. This is the same seed stock Tigard Farms found Obama Kush, so it's got potential...

Sugar Puffs seedling is trying to break the surface now... See if I can snap a pic tomorrow. The Bubba's are both good, leaves pointed up and temps 77-78F at the leaf with the room right around 81F ambient.

Peace
DM

G

VG bubba s1will be coming out on my next round of germ. Hopefully get something nice and hashy.

G

VG bubba s1will be coming out on my next round of germ. Hopefully get something nice and hashy.

Mmmmm... I'm looking for the coffee smells and flavors in mine, already catching a hint of it on VGs bub.

Here are the girls, youngest to oldest:

CSI Sugar Puffs - day 1 (64 hours from germ to this)

picture.php

CSI Three Queens - day 4

picture.php

CSI Bubba S1 day 14

picture.php

VG Bubba Kush S1 day 19

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

The 3rd Mendocino Purple Kush seed looks like it might work out...into the dirt she goes!

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

I noticed a new branch coming out of the CSI Bubba S1 tonight...below the cotyledons! Never seen that one before. The 2nd set of leaves are also showing some deformities, probably environment-related as I was tuning the room. But everything has been running proper the last few days now...ambient temps around 81F with leaf temps between 77-78F with the light on full strength.

Don't think I mentioned it before, but I've had everything plugged into the electric meter at once and the daily cost to run the whole room @ approx. $0.11/KWh is right at $1.00/day. Not too shabby.

CSI Bub weird branch location
picture.php

CSI Bub leaf deformities
picture.php

Peace
DM

G

I noticed a new branch coming out of the CSI Bubba S1 tonight...below the cotyledons! Never seen that one before. The 2nd set of leaves are also showing some deformities, probably environment-related as I was tuning the room. But everything has been running proper the last few days now...ambient temps around 81F with leaf temps between 77-78F with the light on full strength.

Don't think I mentioned it before, but I've had everything plugged into the electric meter at once and the daily cost to run the whole room @ approx. $0.11/KWh is right at $1.00/day. Not too shabby.

CSI Bub weird branch location
View Image

CSI Bub leaf deformities
View Image

Peace
DM
Cheaper than a boat:gday:

G

Spotted my first pre-flower in a looooong time yesterday on the VG Bubba Kush S1. A bit hard to see in the pic, but if you know what you're looking for, it's definitely there. Yesterday was day 20 above ground.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Mendocino Purple Kush trying really hard to break above ground, taking her sweet time with it, too. Fingers crossed!

picture.php

And another shot of the CSI Bubba with more weird growth.

picture.php

Peace
DM

Latest posts

Latest posts