What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Banana Candy Outdoors - Canada

CDMHog

Growin weed in Canada is great because it's legal. The government finally gave up on that stupidity.

Here's my Banana Candy, central Canada late July.

I trained the top over to try to keep it down a bit. It's about 2 1/2ft tall. So far seems happy and healthy.

20230731_082746.jpg

CDMHog

Ok. Plant is over 3 ft tall now. I was covering it for about a week with a bag and I think it's started flowering now. The bag did a little damage to the upper most leaves (naturally) but I think it was worth the bit of damage to get flowering started early. A box would've crushed the plant and a trash can is just too big. Near the end of putting the bag on, I put a stick in the ground that was slightly taller than the plant, which took the weight of the bag off of the upper plant. - recommended

Here's a couple more photos. I'm not going to put the bag on them any longer I don't think. It's Aug 11 and the days are getting shorter. Hopefully the plant doesn't revert back to veg.

20230811_172204.jpg

20230811_172212.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you put plastic over a plant you can run into problems. I did that once only to find my plant got burned really bad.

CDMHog

If you put plastic over a plant you can run into problems. I did that once only to find my plant got burned really bad.

How long did you leave it on the plant, and what time of day did you put it on?

There are also problems with putting a box over it or a trash can.

I think that's what happened to the edges of the leaf you see in the bottom picture. It was touching the bag a maybe the bag heated up a bit from the remaining sun during the evening. I waited until it was 6 or 7pm (12/13hrs) to place the bag over the plant when the hottest part of the day is gone. Also, I mentioned that I ended up putting a stick in the ground that was slightly higher than the plant...to take some of the weight off, lessen the contact etc. All in all, I think the plant is flowering now and the bag worked, not too much damage happened. Maybe I'll use an orange bag in the future that doesn't attract as much heat.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I think black plastic has the same effect as solarization when its hot. All it takes is a minute for the vegetation to heat up under the plastic. I tried it with tomatoes too and burnt the hell out of them. Using it in the Winter to prevent frost will damage the foliage too. The best cover for light deprivation is a large paper box.

Solarization is the process of placing a clear plastic tarp over a field, garden bed or lawn to heat up the soil underneath. The intention of solarization is to kill weeds or grass, though it can have added benefit of reducing pathogen populations in the soil. Google

CDMHog

The best cover for light deprivation is a large paper box.

Solarization is the process of placing a clear plastic tarp over a field, garden bed or lawn to heat up the soil underneath. The intention of solarization is to kill weeds or grass, though it can have added benefit of reducing pathogen populations in the soil. Google

Not in my case. A box was just too big and unwieldy. I would have had to cut and make a custom box that was exactly the right size, and the spot where the plant is growing there's not much room....so I chose a med size bag. The Solarization process you're describing is not the same. If it were, the entire plant would've suffered heat damage, which it did not. Solarization is laying a clear piece of plastic on the ground covering an area of grass and weeds. The light makes it through the clear plastic but traps the heat, and heats up the soil. It ends up killing all the plants under the plastic by overheating the roots.

That's not what's happening here.

The plant suffered very little damage as can be seen in the photos and flowering was initiated as planned, I think. Maybe next time I'll use a medium sized orange bag.

Also, the bag was put over the plant at 6 or 7 pm when the daylight wasn't at it's peak.

Last edited:

CDMHog

Solarization, etc...

With a medium bag covering the plant in the later part of the day, the roots are still cool. The plant can easily survive this, with only minimal damage where the plastic was touching the leaves. As mentioned, a stick slightly taller than the plant seems to help even more. The plant appears to be successfully flowering and as happy as can be, and there's already fresh new growth. Cheers.

CDMHog

Banana Candy 10 days later. Starting to turn purple, bud's are getting denser but still all white hairs. As long as she can take the cold mornings and she doesn't get stolen...all will be well! Some dude came into the neighboring yard the other day to drop off some wood. Walked right passed it numerous times....didn't even see it!

20230909_090933.jpg

dirty-joe

Your buds are about a week ahead of mine. If you care to see,

Based on you only used light deprivation for a week, and the strain info here,
Flowering period 56-63 day, finish late September.
I suggest (not arguing) it was starting to flower on it's own anyway.

I surely hope you do not loose it to thieves.

CDMHog

Your buds are about a week ahead of mine. If you care to see,

Based on you only used light deprivation for a week, and the strain info here,
Flowering period 56-63 day, finish late September.
I suggest (not arguing) it was starting to flower on it's own anyway.

I surely hope you do not loose it to thieves.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. No the plant was definitely not flowering when I started putting the bag over it. Using the bag outdoors in a northerly climate, only made sense based on all of my indoor experience. If I wouldn't have used the bag, it would have set me back 2 weeks or more. Once I started seeing flowers forming after about a week or so, I stopped using the bag...and the plant continued on and didn't revert back to veg. Also, I wouldn't want to take the chance of letting it start flowering on it's own. It might take too long.

The buds are turning into cola's now and starting to thicken up. I'm hoping to harvest in about two weeks or so. I don't like plants going too late or over-ripening.

I had a look at your plants. They're nice. They're big!

Couple pic's from today.
20230911_154624.jpg

20230911_154742.jpg

Last edited:

CDMHog

Allright. September 16 in central Canada. 5 days later and comin right along. Non-autoflower. No one's stolen her yet. She smells really skunky. Bud's are thickened up. Hairs are starting to turn red. Will be chopping her down fairly soon. I don't like late bud.

20230916_155420.jpg

20230916_155706.jpg

CDMHog

Well she made er. Never got stolen. It's amazing considering the amount of petty theft that happens around here.

Plant.jpg

dirty-joe

Hey Friend,
WAY better "in-the-bag" than in someone else's
(even if a tad early)
I'll look for a smoke report.

PS, I strongly feel like chopping this coming Thursday, because of rains coming on the weekend, even though the hairs are less than 60 % red, although they keep on coming, and I had about the same amount of red hair for a couple of weeks now. Certainly most of the trichomes are cloudy.

Outdoors is always some kind of a trade-off.

Latest posts

Latest posts