What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One lonely clone

dirty-joe

I was not even going to grow any plants this year for a couple of reasons, but a friend had a couple too many and gave me one of his clones. I don't even know the strain yet, as he forgot, but will find out from the person he got them from. I'll edit this firsdt post when I find out.

Anyway, this is it on June 18 the day I put it in the ground. 15" tall.
IMG_3415.JPG

This is it today July 10, 22 days later, and now 34" tall. I have removed about a dozen smaller lower branches/bud sites, as it is plenty thick IMO. I don't like those tiny buds.
IMG_3417-r.JPG

Soil same as always 50/50 composted maple leaves, and old composted cattle manure.
No nutes as of yet, but intend to give it a sprinkle of pure nitro soon.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
That plant looks like it has a tap root the way it's growing so vigorously. This will be interesting seeing a clone roots finish outdoors. Thanks for posting friend.

dirty-joe

July 18, 30 days since I put it in the ground. Now 43 inches tall. did 28 inches in 30 days.

I have removed about 40 branches by now, one of which I think now has roots of it's own. Cloned outdoors (in (mostly)shade) only wilted a little once at about 5 days from being cut. Packing the soil around the stem quite tightly I think helps.

Because of clone roots, and possibly being in a cup too long, the plant started blowing around quite a bit even though the wind was not that strong, so I had to add some support with string, and elastic.

Still don't know the variety, but it is pretty smelly all the time. Hope it starts to flower soon.

IMG_3418.JPG

dirty-joe

July 31, now 58 inches tall, which means it has done exactly one inch a day since I put it in the ground, on June 18.

Have now removed about 100 branches.
Still not flowering, looks like it will be quite late.
I kind of hate unknown, still don't know the variety. At least it is very healthy not a sign of yellowing on the lowest leaves yet.
Yes that is a person standing behind it.
IMG_3422.JPG

dirty-joe

August 10 (yesterday), 66 inches.
Still growing, and finally starting to flower, YEAH!
Have probably removed about 200 branches/ bud sites by now.
"They say" you should not prune during flower, so if someone has any thought on that please feel free to say. I am rather satisfied with the plant as is at this point anyway.

Good luck out there.
IMG_3425.JPG

Last edited:

dirty-joe

August 20, 76", starting to flower with small (tiny) bunches of hair, but still doing an inch a day. My guess is it will make it to 7 feet. I take a close up of the flower, and the stump in my next update.
I know I have removed 300 branches/bud sites, and I really must stop picking at it.

IMG_3426.JPG

dirty-joe

August 31, 80".
Vertical growth has slowed, only did 4 inches in the last 11 days. May not make 7 feet, but plenty tall enough anyway, I honestly do not like plants so tall I can not inspect the top bud, haha like last year, 9 feet.
Last year at August 31, Green Crack @ 104 inches.
IMG_3319.JPG

Back to the present.
IMG_3433.JPG

Flowering at about three weeks now,
IMG_3435.JPG

You can see a touch of frost on the sugar leaves already...hopefully a good sign. I've noticed you often don get trichomes till like week 5-6 ?
IMG_3438.JPG

And as promised last time a stump shot.
IMG_3437.JPG

You can see just outside of the lighter the break in the ground, when the plant was blowing around in the wind, should have been up-potted sooner.

Any comments at all ?
Still do not know the variety, and I would like to know.
Looks like the count down is on, 5 weeks to go.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Beautiful plants thanks for posting. I think it will be a little more than 5 weeks friend, more like the end of OCT.🤞

dirty-joe

Really nice plants. Big. As long as you can successfully flower them, should be lots of buds!
Thanks, Hopefully I can, strain, and weather dependent, and I still do not know the strain, guy I got them from is not answering his phone right now, or I'd ask again. Should be lots of buds, yes, and I do not like to count my chickens...if all goes well there should be a pound+ of bud on that one, but we will see, after the mold takes it's toll, there may be nothing.

dirty-joe

Beautiful plants thanks for posting. I think it will be a little more than 5 weeks friend, more like the end of OCT.🤞
I do not know why it would take 12 weeks for a hybrid, but we will see.
I am certainly hoping for Oct. 5 to 10 at the latest. and frankly the weather turns to shit around her about mid Sept. Although this year has been very strange, first so dry, many fires, then so wet roads get washed out. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ?

dirty-joe

Weekly update, a day late, and it may be the last update. Seems I am in the track of approaching storm "Lee".
This plant does not have a great root system either, like a plant grown form seed direct sown in the ground would. It does have "some" elastic support tied to fence stakes, do not know if it will be enough ?
Was thinking maybe I should snugly wrap it in chicken wire (snow fence would be nice for this), and tie the chicken wire to more fence stakes.

Anyway vertical growth has almost halted only 1 inch last week now 83 inches. The flowers have thickened a quite bit this week, and resin building more too, a few hairs are starting to turn brown.

IMG_3449.JPG

IMG_3450.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

IMG_3456.JPG

dirty-joe

In anticipation of Lee I drove a couple more fence stakes, very close into the plant, and wrapped 4 layers of paracord around the plant, I'm sure if it blows around there will be some damage, but it should not end up on the ground.

Fingers crossed, and a pic maybe coming.

dirty-joe

I survived storm Lee !
And I think I found out the strain, friend said it was some kind of Drip, maybe this one,
Other possibility was Galaxy, but they are reported to be "short", this ain't that @7 feet. In the end it does not matter, I have no living clones of it. I do know it was smelly from the day I got it, and is a real resin producer, you know it's sticky when debris and other "stuff" starts sticking to it like fly paper.

Anyway the storm is not the only problem, today while removing the paracord, I notice a couple small spots of mold, which I will treat in a minute.

Also I know your not supposed to be pruning during flower, but at the same time the plant is pretty thick, therefore I am going to be giving it a good defoliation today, whether it is right or wrong I want a little more air flow.

Before a leaf picking. (today)
IMG_3457.JPG

dirty-joe

Oct 3 update.
Not a lot of change in the last 9 days.
A rainy spell coming on the weekend so I may chop on Thursday, giving me thursday, and friday to get a start on the drying.
IMG_3470.JPG IMG_3469.JPG IMG_3468.JPG

dirty-joe

Oct 5, well I chopped the most of it, leaving maybe an ounce or two to risk.
I wanted to take the most of it, because of four days of rain coming, starting on Saturday
The buds may have fattened up a tad more, but all the trichomes are all cloudy. I'm satisfied, now waiting for the first test.

The ladder is 13 feet long. Took me 2.5 hours to trim it (rough trim).
IMG_3478.JPG

Yes I left it in the sun today, and I'll bring it back out again tomorrow.

IMG_3480.JPG

dirty-joe

13 days of drying in the shed, and not there yet, so I trimmed it off the branches, put in cardboard boxes, and took it outside this afternoon.
Three of the boxes are 16 inches square.
The buds are a little on the fluffy side, but maybe that is / was a good thing, as I did not get much mold ?

Anyway getting a little anxious to try it. Hopefully the next two days will be a less humid and get the job done.
IMG_3482.JPG