What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Balls on roots?

Thighland

Today I harvested a plant which has balls on the roots, similar to nitrogen balls on legumes, but not the same. Any ideas what they are?
IMG_20240114_124715.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
What kills nematodes naturally?
Nematodes die if they get too dry. Tilling brings nematodes up to the surface of the soil where the sun and wind will dry them out and reduce their population. google

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Root knots nematodes/meloidogyne are nasty.
I got them indoors, from my research i can say they are hard to kill. They can survive freezing temps and the only steaming the soil or 7 years growbreak works to get rid of them. Planting tagetes patula helps because the nematodes can't infect them.

When the plant was in a pot toss the soil, if it was in the ground avoid this spot and plant some tagetes.

Thighland

Thanks for the helpful replies. Now I understand why the plant wasn't doing great and why my papayas kept dieing.

I will try a local organic productncalled Wood Vinegar.

"Wood vinegar is known to be very
effective against nematodes, by killing them directly as well as encouraging microbes that
feed on them. In Costa Rica its application has given good results in vegetable crops. It can
be easily prepared on farm by collecting the distillate from burning soft wood species."