Votes: 68 50.7%
  • I'm still neutral on the digital vs magnetic issue

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • I would still purchase the old tried and true magnetic ballast

Votes: 40 29.9%

• Total voters
H

Hal

Being an apartment dweller at the moment, and likely for the foreseeable future, the biggest concern for me is the RF interference. If you fuck up a neighbor's electric appliances, somebody will end up knocking on your door, trying to solve the neighbor's problem.

I don't understand why some users report RF interference and others don't. It would seem that it is an insulating issue, and once the manufacturer has figured out how to insulate the wire and prevent the RF interference, then the problem should be solved.

The only other reason for the RF problem to continue would seem to lie either in shoddy manufacturing/quality control, and/or using poor quality insulating material. Neither of these would seem to be logical if these companies that have great warranties end up having to pay for these problems themselves when they have to replace defective products.

So, not doubting the folks who report the RF interference, but just stating that I'm fucking confused what the hell is happening here.

Creating your own T12 fixtures with shop light parts from Home Depot is easily the cheapest way to do this. You don't need glamor or brand names for a lighting project like this. The lights need to go on - they need to go off 18 hours later. As long as they do that, reliably, it's all good. Wattage requirements are modest. You aren't looking to VEG a grow here. You are looking to keep some mothers going and make your clones root. It's a very modest goal which only requires very modest needs.

I'd go T12 or T8 if the space is smaller. Parts are cheaper, bulbs are cheaper and readily available. T12s are ubiquitous. You never need worry about buying them with anyone wondering why, either.

Go to Home Depot, spend money, come home and install. Bam, you are done. Nothing to it.

I suppose i don't need that much wattage, but i'd still like to go with a few hundred watts considering i will probably be adding even more mothers in the future, i don't think a few hundred watts for say 10+ good size mothers is really overkill. The thing is with the flouros too is that i need to fit them all right under the light, since the light they receive rapidly decreases as you get further away. The small T5's don't have anywhere near enough room for me to fit my mothers under.

I would make it into a DIY project, but i really don't have the time right now to mess with this and i'm not too good with DIY stuff. I know alot of you guys are really good with that stuff, but me not so much lol.

I have found some very good deals on the hydrofarm T5's anyways since i'm cheap, $129 for the 4-foot/4 Lamp Version, $159 for the 4-foot/6 lamp version and $199 for the 4-foot/8 lamp Version. That is with the bulbs too, your choice of 6500k, 3000k or Mixed.

toastfighter2

I have been wondering about the rf interference that some of these digi ballast are putting out, and if a faraday cage would stop it. The only reason I ask is I live on a college campus and I am 100% sure any interference(how ever small) would draw attention, and I am looking at upgrading to at least a 600w hps.

burnedout

I don't understand why some users report RF interference and others don't. It would seem that it is an insulating issue, and once the manufacturer has figured out how to insulate the wire and prevent the RF interference, then the problem should be solved.

So, not doubting the folks who report the RF interference, but just stating that I'm fucking confused what the hell is happening here.

You and me both. I was dead set on digitals and after reading so many complaints about interference, I just don't know. I can't afford to have my neighbor's tv, radio, cell phone, internet or whatever cutting in and out every 12 hrs. Heck, I can't even have the chance of that happening.

G

Guywithoutajeep

Has anyone reported any interference from a brand other than lumatek?

Think Green

I too am looking for a 600w set-up. Any help? How loud are the magnetic's? Have seen the digi's in action but as far as reliability I've heard magnetic. How loud is the "humming" with the magnetic ballasts is what I wonder. :dunno:

I too am looking for a 600w set-up. Any help? How loud are the magnetic's? Have seen the digi's in action but as far as reliability I've heard magnetic. How loud is the "humming" with the magnetic ballasts is what I wonder. :dunno:

Not loud at all IMO, i don't know why some people make such a big deal about it. I can only hear it if i'm in my grow room. This is on my Hydrofarm Powerhouse ballast atleast. I used to have some cheapo ballasts, and they were a little louder but still not too bad.

fatigues

Veteran
If someone who didn't know about my grow came to my front door and said they were getting interference from my "grow lights", I'd consider that a significant security risk.

No. I would consider that well past "risk" and into full-blown SECURITY BREACH mode.

:hide:

the Lumatek web posting on RF

the Lumatek web posting on RF

Lumatek ballasts are now internally RF shielded and can be used with standard System Cord sets as available in each country worldwide. Our ballasts produce the least amount of EMI (electro- magnetic interference) of any electronic ballast and conform to all international Electro-magnetic emission standards. This applies to all blue and purple models of the Lumatek. The older silver models which employed earlier technology (at the time industry leading) can be upgraded for current models (and the highest EMI standards) at reduced purchase costs; for details please contact us by e-mail or if you are in the USA or Canada tel U.S 1 415 233 4273

Tuco420

I will say this, i've used both mags and now digi's. Im currently running two dual 600w 240v lumiteks and a dual 250w 120v galaxy. The galaxy was busted right out of the box, only one side would fire intermintly. I tool it back to the hydro store 3 times and it would work fiine there! I think they thought i was the village idiot or something but about a month later it finaly took a shit and they replaced it... That being said i would still go with digital's...IMO they are BRIGHTER, QUITER and COOLER! Who gives a doodly donky dick rats ass about the dependabilty or the cost, thats what the warrenty is for! Once again IMO if you get three to five years out your equipment you got your moneys worth...

Digital's aren't even really any more expensive. The Lumatek's and Galaxy's can both be found very cheap, plantlightinghydroponics has good prices on them. An equal quality Magnetic will cost just as much. Granted you can make your own magnetic with a ballast kit, and it's cheaper but you sacrafice quality, i prefer to go with brand name ballasts of high quality just because i feel it's worth it in the long run.

My Hydrofarm 1000W Powerhouse ballast came with a 10 year warranty which is part of the reason i bought it, great quality and it stays alot cooler than most magnetics too. I want to upgrade to a few 600W Digitals or a few 1000W Digitals eventually.

burnedout

I will say this, i've used both mags and now digi's. Im currently running two dual 600w 240v lumiteks and a dual 250w 120v galaxy. The galaxy was busted right out of the box, only one side would fire intermintly. I tool it back to the hydro store 3 times and it would work fiine there! I think they thought i was the village idiot or something but about a month later it finaly took a shit and they replaced it... That being said i would still go with digital's...IMO they are BRIGHTER, QUITER and COOLER! Who gives a doodly donky dick rats ass about the dependabilty or the cost, thats what the warrenty is for! Once again IMO if you get three to five years out your equipment you got your moneys worth...

The majority of people, if not pretty much everyone. Except for you I guess.

Tuco420

OK maybe i said that wrong! But that's what the warrenty is for. And SI brought up a good point, they realy aren't that much more than a top of line magnetic ballast anyway

reckon

I have a very old (27 years) mag ballast. (I run a single 1000 watt hortilux)

I just keep getting the capacitors replaced every few years ($25)

it always works, runs cool, doesn't hum.

it's not "if it aint broke, don't fix it",......it's "if it aint broke don't BREAK it"

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You guys know where I stand on this thing, but, I am posting again because I received a pretty disturbing report from a fellow member who wishes to remain anonymous.

anonymous but trusted fellow icmagger said:
...around 9:30 am two cable vans are out front and ringing the doorbell..

my idiot roommate lets them in, and before I can get downstairs to see whats up, he's showing them the basement and circuit panel. I suppose they were looking for my girlfriends who were thankfully behind locked doors in another part of the house.

Long story short? The 600 Watt electronic ballast with HPS bulb was making enough noise through the cable line to knock out features for customers in the local area and they traced the noise to me.

The moment the cable guy touched the modem, his partner outside said the noise had stopped. It was at that exact moment that I remembered your post, and was killing the switch right as he was fiddling with the cable modem in another room.
Close one.

So yea, there is another digital ballast horror story for you guys.

toohighmf

Veteran
quantums rocking 2 years 24/7/365. cooler, brighter, and fire every bulb, every time. QUICK! I still have mag ballasts too though. some are well over 15 years old without a cap or ignitor replacement. must have been a good year for Advance because these SS1's just run...