Votes: 68 50.7%
  • I'm still neutral on the digital vs magnetic issue

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • I would still purchase the old tried and true magnetic ballast

Votes: 40 29.9%

• Total voters
H

Hal

I did a search for a poll on this question, and it seems that a poll has not been conducted for this topic yet. I will be purchasing a ballast, likely 1K watts, in the near future, and I'm kinda torn which direction to go.

This poll is ONLY for those who have used both digital and magnetic, so you can have a valid user experience to report on. I am further restricting it to ONLY digital ballasts from Lumatek and Quantum, because I don't want to include any crap digital ballasts coming from fly-by-night Chinese manufacturers. If there is another company that is as respected as the other 2, let me know and I will try to start a new poll. From what I have read, Lumatek and Quantum both stand behind their products with solid warranties in case a ballast goes bad.

The same restriction is not being placed on the magnetic side because this technology has been around so long, all the bugs are pretty much worked out.

So, you've used both...what would your next ballast purchase be...digital or magnetic? I understand that the question is very general, and many idiosyncrasies can be referenced for deeper consideration, but the poll question wants to sidestep that deeper conversation and only speak to what your actual purchase would end up being.

Thanks for playing! :)

sob420

I stick with magnetic for the simple fact that the technology is simple and if something does go out, which rarely happens, its cheap to get fixed

I have a 600watt Lumatek ballast at present. Prior I had a 600 watt magnetic ballast both using a standard HPS bulb. I can say that both did there job. That being said the Lumatek runs quieter, doesn't seem to get as hot although the room temperature didn't really fluctuate after the switch, so its probably cooled better. As for efficiency I can't say but my electricity bill isn't noticeably smaller but I don't really care.
I have noticed that my bulbs are lasting a little longer though.

I'll just make it simple, would I buy electronic again?

Yes

Would I replace a perfectly functional magnetic?

No, not unless it was a great deal and even then I would probably let the magnetic run its course.

H

Hal

Thanks, sob...your feelings on this issue, I'm guessing, will be shared by many. I consider the ease-of-repair to be an important consideration.

Good points, sibling, nice synopsis too.

LUDACRIS

Veteran
Magnetic for me as it has never let me down and they are cheap to buy or have them refurbished/overhauled.

LUDA.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
I have a 600watt Lumatek ballast at present. Prior I had a 600 watt magnetic ballast both using a standard HPS bulb. I can say that both did there job. That being said the Lumatek runs quieter, doesn't seem to get as hot although the room temperature didn't really fluctuate after the switch, so its probably cooled better. As for efficiency I can't say but my electricity bill isn't noticeably smaller but I don't really care.
I have noticed that my bulbs are lasting a little longer though.

I'll just make it simple, would I buy electronic again?

Yes

Would I replace a perfectly functional magnetic?

No, not unless it was a great deal and even then I would probably let the magnetic run its course.

Wow, this sums up my experience perfectly; my thoughts exactly :)

P.S. Mt close friend went electronic a month ago, and got a no named ebay ballast. He says that hes happy with it and hasn't had problems with it. Let's remember that electronic ballast technology isn't "new" in the grand scheme of things. Although brand trust as with any product is always a concern.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
I like magnetic, cheaper to buy, common as dirt, works with hortilux.

This is just my observation, but it seems like I've seen more digis go bad than
the mags.

I'm open minded, I'd like to try a digi, my buddy likes em. I might like em too.

But right now I'm for the mags.

One drawback of a digital I've noticed he keeps his PH/PPM meter far away from it. I've wanted to ask him about
RFI from the lumatec digital. It might be a problem for those of us running a computer control. Hell, any RFI
from mag or digital is a problem.

I'll post more info when it comes in.

Last edited:
P

PastorJ

Digital Ballast

Digital Ballast

I love my new Lumatek Digital Ballast vs my old Big Bulky, Loud Magnetic one. I believe it does a much better job.

I

Iron_Lion

I just got a new 600w dimmable lumatek, havent used it yet for flowering but still absolutely love it. It comes factory wired for dual voltage 120/240 supply. It has selectable output 360, 400, 600, and super lumens mode which boosts output to 660 watts! It uses just one bulb, and is like getting 4 grow lights in one, cant do that with an oldschool magnetic ballast. it is also silent with no fans and runs fairly cool.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I recently got a visit from my cable company due to the interference created by a 1000w 2009 model Lumatek. The brand new switchable "superlumens" kind. The one that is supposed to be fixed... Rrrrrright.

Was told the noise coming from my house was affecting service in the neighborhood, and had to talk my way out of them coming to the house to check all the connections.

The ballast worked great, but after hearing all their BS about how they resolved the interference problem with the 1k models, and finding out the hard way that was not the case, I can only recommend my peers avoid them.

Problem instantly gone when I went back to my old magnetic ballast. Totally sure it was the cause of the issue. Now I will have to buy another magnetic when I do my upgrade, rather than use the new Lumatek as I had intended. 350 bucks down the drain, as I can't sell it with a clear conscience, and wouldn't get all my money back anyways since it has been used a couple of months.

Seriously, go magnetic and never wonder if you made the right choice. 5% additional efficiency or whatever it works out to is just not worth the security risk.

I

Iron_Lion

I recently got a visit from my cable company due to the interference created by a 1000w 2009 model Lumatek. The brand new switchable "superlumens" kind. The one that is supposed to be fixed... Rrrrrright.

Was told the noise coming from my house was affecting service in the neighborhood, and had to talk my way out of them coming to the house to check all the connections.

Wow that blows, I've been running a 250w lumatek for a few months now with no problems, will be starting up the 600 in a few. Hope I dont have problems. Is this a common problem? Did you contact lumatek about it? Is there anyway to do a self check to see if your ballast will be effected? Do you have analog or digital cable service?

Row

Your choice

More light, no noise, hardly any heat,

you can screw them to a wall

or noisy, lots of heat

needs a proper shelf or elaborate hanging etc

less light..

did i mention heat and noise?

i just like to add. do NOT buy Lumatek unless you enjoy replacing ballasts

iv only experience with the 1000's mind you....

Iv only got a few quantums and as of yet no problems but they are fairly new,

iv got lots of industrial electronics ballasts, they have been solid, though now the quantum's are out i would probably pay the few $ extra and get them purely for the guarantee

Peace

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow that blows, I've been running a 250w lumatek for a few months now with no problems, will be starting up the 600 in a few. Hope I dont have problems. Is this a common problem? Did you contact lumatek about it? Is there anyway to do a self check to see if your ballast will be effected? Do you have analog or digital cable service?

I've read about it happening to others, usually with 600 or 1000w digital ballasts. Thing is, the newest models are supposed to have fixed the problem, at least according to the companies themselves. In my experience with the brand new model Lumatek 1k, that is clearly not the case.

I'm not going to contact Lumatek. The ballast was working fine, and even if they send me another, I will not use it because of what has happened.

I have cable internet which is over the analog line.

I'd return the 600 if you can, or perhaps get store credit and swap it for a magnetic. I wouldn't want to live with this possibility in the back of my mind.

I too have been wondering which one is better/which to go with.

Are there any scientific facts either supporting for or against each ballast?

From what I could gather from this post

Digi
Pros: Quitier, Less Heat, More Efficent (5%?)
Cons: Expensive, maybe breaks easier?, interferes with cable

Magnatic
Pros: Cheap and reliable
Cons: Loud, Hot

I

Iron_Lion

I've read about it happening to others, usually with 600 or 1000w digital ballasts. Thing is, the newest models are supposed to have fixed the problem, at least according to the companies themselves. In my experience with the brand new model Lumatek 1k, that is clearly not the case.

I'm not going to contact Lumatek. The ballast was working fine, and even if they send me another, I will not use it because of what has happened.

I have cable internet which is over the analog line.

I'd return the 600 if you can, or perhaps get store credit and swap it for a magnetic. I wouldn't want to live with this possibility in the back of my mind.

This is good information, I am not going to return it, i'll take my chances. I was thinking, a contributor to your problem could possibly the plug you used might not have been properly grounded.

H

Hal

I think the "newness" of the digital ballasts, and the fairly rapid upgrades that happen whenever something new comes out, make judging the digitals difficult, especially the newest versions. The reputation they have developed, and the general consensus about them, will always be behind the curve due to the rapid changes.

I would make a guess that, given the natural improvement products make over time as the "bugs" are worked out, the new digital ballast models being sold today, might be somewhat better than their current reputation (which has to be based on less improved models). Just a thought....

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the "newness" of the digital ballasts, and the fairly rapid upgrades that happen whenever something new comes out, make judging the digitals difficult, especially the newest versions. The reputation they have developed, and the general consensus about them, will always be behind the curve due to the rapid changes.

I would make a guess that, given the natural improvement products make over time as the "bugs" are worked out, the new digital ballast models being sold today, might be somewhat better than their current reputation (which has to be based on less improved models). Just a thought....

Nice thought, and it is just what I thought to myself before I bought that current model lumatek.

The newest model, switchable voltage w/ superlumens switch. Bought in November 09.

Nope, same horror story I'd read about happened to me.

Having discussed the matter with some electrician friends, all they could say was "wish you'd spoken to us first" as they both prefer magnetic ballasts and seem to believe the interference problem is inherent to the design of these digital ballasts in the first place, and there will always be some noise put off by these things. I can't speak on the technical side of it myself, but I'm quite certain the brand new 1k lumatek has interference issues based on my experience.