What's new

Bad Habit's 10x13 CGE Room Build

After hours upon hours upon hours I got my hardware store shopping list completed. Got everything ready on lowes.com only to have it spit error codes at me when trying to checkout. Gggreeeaatttt. Called 2 days ago and explained the situation, lady says alright email me the list and I'll get it going and call you. 24 hours passes and no call... gggrrreeeaattt. Call back today. Guy on the phone says we'll have to manually enter each item in (like 70 things lmao). Spend an hour getting it all in. He gets a bunch of error codes. Holy fawk what a dysfunctional system. Finally after over and hour we somehow get it to work. Was sooo frustrating.

Went to HD yesterday also and picked up a bunch of stuff. Got some rubbermaid roughneck 37 gal tubs for my reservoirs and some other various materials. Hopefully my lowes order will be ready in the next day or 2 and then I'll probably have to rent a truck to get all the lumber over.

Getting the insulation up now... I'm super anal and OCD so I'm taping every seam and crack like it's my job (oh wait it is?).

AC unit hopefully getting installed this weekend...

slowly but surely...

the gnome

Veteran
man-o-man ain't that a beeutiful sight
when the prodex gets laid up :D

Gggreeeaatttt. Called 2 days ago and explained the situation, lady says alright email me the list and I'll get it going and call you. 24 hours passes and no call... gggrrreeeaattt. Call back today. Guy on the phone says we'll have to manually enter each item in (like 70 things lmao). Spend an hour getting it all in. He gets a bunch of error codes. Holy fawk what a dysfunctional system. Finally after over and hour we somehow get it to work. Was sooo frustrating.

I was kinda wondering where you've been lately BHs.
thought maybe you went to help mckush dig the 5ft wide x 3ft deep hole he's been working on since dec of 2013 :D

on lowes....if only the obozo care puters works that fast.....

Last edited:
D

DHF

The path to Nirvana is long and winding , and the journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step......and all that other profound horseshit...LOL...now...

The general rule of thumb for perpetual Harvey revolves around the finish times of your strains you run....IOW....for example.....

Say you run Chem D that`s a 10 week strain , then since you want to pull a plant every week , you introduce 1 fully rooted pre-vegged plant to the table the first week , then next week another plant , the next week another , so on and so forth , and ......

By the time you get to the 10th plant and the 10th week , the FIRST plant you put into flower is ready to harvest , and all the plants already on the tables are in line to be ready and pull-able EVERY week after forever as long as yas keep putting 1 in and pulling 1 out to keep the ball rolling.....that said....

There`s 2 oddball plants in the mix since you wanna run 12 plants perpetually and pull 1 every week , but most assuredly you WON`T be running plants that "finish" in 12 weeks for perfect perpetual harvest , so that throws the "X' factor into how you deal with the last 2 plants as overflow , so.....thoughts to ponder....next....

Nutrient management on 3 tables when the first 4 weeks need veg formula till end of stretch and THEN the next 6 weeks can amp up the bloom formula and reduce down to NO nitrogen/micro/cal/mag sources so the plants will start to cannibalize themselves and leftover fanleaves yellow off and die while "natural plant senescence' occurs givng the plant it`s "fall colors" once feed regimens are fully dialed.....but....

This where your dilemma comes in , stretch is scientifically proven to be 40% of the flower cycle , so again for example with Chem D , that 4 week period with grow nutes still in the mix will be affecting more than the first 4 plants in the first 4 weeks , so you`ll need the first 2 tables in veg and bloom mix , and the last table will be for each plant that goes through 4 weeks of the veg/bloom mix to be isolated into just bloom formula for the last 6 weeks till end of cycle....BUT.....

What kinda juice you`ll be using as in a simple 1 part , A & B , etc., etc. really come into play with this whole equation as well , so nothing is written in stone until ALL these variables are taken into account and dealt with accordingly.....

So Basically it`s more tedious than you realize to actually do what you wanna do , but it can be done , my problem with it is you`ll be compromising environment to do so and making tradeoffs cuz the plants first 4 weeks of flower need 70% RH to explode and thrive till end of stretch , while the others need below 50% so as to not develop airborn pathogens such as powdery mildew and potential budrot in late bloomage.....regardless....

It is what it is if that`s the way you wanna roll , so do the best you can with what you have to work with and keep RH as high as possible with enough airflow around the plants above em AND below em , but never ON em so as to not fuck with transpiration or nutrient uptake....

Creating a "vortex" of air in the room will help insure no airborn nasties will be able to form , and there will be enough air moving through the plants and canopy WITHOUT pointing wall or floor fans directly on em....and ......

ANYONE that tells you to point fans at your plants to strengthen stems don`t have a damn clue about potential ph imbalances and lockouts that can occur from increased transpiration that CAUSES increased nutrient uptake and the plants will end up with nutes stored instead of constantly moving "through" em in a dialed environment and feed sequence...aight.......

Nuff outta my old ass today with "Perpetual 101" , so keep pluggin and you`ll be ready for plants before yas know it.....but....

Attention to detail is your friend , and the next lesson will be on coco and it`s variables , although using the expensive Canna shit`s gonna help yas get past most of the X factors.....anyways....

Good luck....DHF....:ying:....

Update

Got a decent amount of the insulation up: almost 1 layer everywhere in the room except the wall and ceiling, and 2 in some others. Got some orca film up where the AC will be mounted. Holy crap hanging orca film solo is HARD! My first piece I tried to secure initially with a heavy duty staple gun, which COMPLETELY failed. It's so heavy and curvy from being rolled up it just ripped the staples right out. 2nd sheet I taped one side to the top, then left the rest on the roll to create tension while I taped down the sides, and finally cut the bottom and taped. Much easier that way.

Today I got the Mitsu Mr Slim installed (yay!) and ripped out the in-wall heater and thermostat which I won't be using. Pics in the following post.

man-o-man ain't that a beeutiful sight
when the prodex gets laid up :D

I was kinda wondering where you've been lately BHs.
thought maybe you went to help mckush dig the 5ft wide x 3ft deep hole he's been working on since dec of 2013 :D

on lowes....if only the obozo care puters works that fast.....

just been busy with this and takin care of the babys! Although they're really not babies anymore:biggrin:

haha I can't wait to see what mckushs room turns out like. Should be pretty epic if he ever gets it done. I know that feeling of being OCD though... my buddy was saying it's better to be OCD now during the buildout though, because once it's up and running you're not gonna wanna have to tinker too much with it because it'll be full.

The path to Nirvana is long and winding , and the journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step......and all that other profound horseshit...LOL...now...

The general rule of thumb for perpetual Harvey revolves around the finish times of your strains you run....IOW....for example.....

Say you run Chem D that`s a 10 week strain , then since you want to pull a plant every week , you introduce 1 fully rooted pre-vegged plant to the table the first week , then next week another plant , the next week another , so on and so forth , and ......

By the time you get to the 10th plant and the 10th week , the FIRST plant you put into flower is ready to harvest , and all the plants already on the tables are in line to be ready and pull-able EVERY week after forever as long as yas keep putting 1 in and pulling 1 out to keep the ball rolling.....that said....

There`s 2 oddball plants in the mix since you wanna run 12 plants perpetually and pull 1 every week , but most assuredly you WON`T be running plants that "finish" in 12 weeks for perfect perpetual harvest , so that throws the "X' factor into how you deal with the last 2 plants as overflow , so.....thoughts to ponder....next....

Nutrient management on 3 tables when the first 4 weeks need veg formula till end of stretch and THEN the next 6 weeks can amp up the bloom formula and reduce down to NO nitrogen/micro/cal/mag sources so the plants will start to cannibalize themselves and leftover fanleaves yellow off and die while "natural plant senescence' occurs givng the plant it`s "fall colors" once feed regimens are fully dialed.....but....

This where your dilemma comes in , stretch is scientifically proven to be 40% of the flower cycle , so again for example with Chem D , that 4 week period with grow nutes still in the mix will be affecting more than the first 4 plants in the first 4 weeks , so you`ll need the first 2 tables in veg and bloom mix , and the last table will be for each plant that goes through 4 weeks of the veg/bloom mix to be isolated into just bloom formula for the last 6 weeks till end of cycle....BUT.....

What kinda juice you`ll be using as in a simple 1 part , A & B , etc., etc. really come into play with this whole equation as well , so nothing is written in stone until ALL these variables are taken into account and dealt with accordingly.....

So Basically it`s more tedious than you realize to actually do what you wanna do , but it can be done , my problem with it is you`ll be compromising environment to do so and making tradeoffs cuz the plants first 4 weeks of flower need 70% RH to explode and thrive till end of stretch , while the others need below 50% so as to not develop airborn pathogens such as powdery mildew and potential budrot in late bloomage.....regardless....

It is what it is if that`s the way you wanna roll , so do the best you can with what you have to work with and keep RH as high as possible with enough airflow around the plants above em AND below em , but never ON em so as to not fuck with transpiration or nutrient uptake....

Creating a "vortex" of air in the room will help insure no airborn nasties will be able to form , and there will be enough air moving through the plants and canopy WITHOUT pointing wall or floor fans directly on em....and ......

ANYONE that tells you to point fans at your plants to strengthen stems don`t have a damn clue about potential ph imbalances and lockouts that can occur from increased transpiration that CAUSES increased nutrient uptake and the plants will end up with nutes stored instead of constantly moving "through" em in a dialed environment and feed sequence...aight.......

Nuff outta my old ass today with "Perpetual 101" , so keep pluggin and you`ll be ready for plants before yas know it.....but....

Attention to detail is your friend , and the next lesson will be on coco and it`s variables , although using the expensive Canna shit`s gonna help yas get past most of the X factors.....anyways....

Good luck....DHF........

Wow dude, thank you very much for the detailed response. Awesome!

The 2 strains I'm running at the moment are Alphakronik's Las Vegas Purple Kush BX which is a 80/20 indica/sativa that finishes in 7-9 weeks, and Snowdizzle which is a 70/30 that finishes in 7-8 weeks.

Your explanation on the ins and outs of the perpetual harvest makes perfect sense. I think the only way it would really be viable to do it practically would be to handwater. I say this because I plan on scrogging 99% of the time, and if I was pulling a plant a week I would have to be constantly be shuffling the plants from table to table in order to have them lined up with the right reservoir, and if you got a screen over the girls this just really isn't realistic it seems like.

For now, I've kind of come to the conclusion that the only way to make the room both perpetual and practical is to harvest 1 tray at a time. 3 total trays, each tray 3-4 plants. Once I dial it in then harvest a tray like once every 2.5ish weeks or so in order to always keep the room full. What do you think about that? It doesn't address the issue of optimal RH, but I think I could the constant 50% RH should probably be fine - it might impact my yield somewhat but I don't think it'll be a deal breaker.

Now, what you said about the vortex of air: I'm trying to figure out my fan placement in the room. So first, the layout of the room again:

picture.php

So as you can see, the lights on the left hand side of the room are basically right up against the wall because of how the studs are lined up: the edge of the reflector is only about 3 inches away from the wall. I think that pretty much rules out putting a wall-mounted fan on that wall. Said wall:

picture.php

Next is the wall opposite that:

picture.php

This is where my mr slim is mounted. My buddy was saying I shouldn't bother mounting a fan on that wall because the AC unit has a fan in it that will be blowing plenty of air around. Do you agree with this?

After that is the back wall (top of the blueprint diagram):

picture.php

I was thinking of mounting 2 fans on this wall.

And that leaves this last wall (bottom of the blueprint diagram):

picture.php

on the left is going to be my deheuy, maybe carbon filter, and all my controllers mounted on the wall by the panel. On the right is the closet where I'll have my veg plants. I am going to have a tarp door that is going to zip on the 2 sides, and then roll up and be held up at the top with a bungee cord when I need to access the area. So that basically rules out any fans being mounted on the right side. Which leaves the left side, which is the furthest away from the plants, and will be crowded with controllers and what not. Is it worth mounting a fan there?

I bought 4 wall-mounted fans, but looks like I might need to return 1 or 2 of them lol.

Choosing the Right Resevoirs

Choosing the Right Resevoirs

So I'm trying to decide on what to use for my rezs...

First I got the rubbermaid rough neck 37 gal totes:

picture.php

These are what are used in the blueprint diagram in the previous post. I initially decided on these because of their known durability, and relatively slim design + high capacity.

Then after talking with a buddy, he was saying it was silly to use those considering how low to the ground they are, thus wasting a lot of space. He recommended these tall thin recycle bins that he uses, so I went out and grabbed some:

picture.php

As you can see, they take up significantly less wall and floor space. However, these are only 23 gallons each, as opposed to the 37 gals of the rough necks. He said one of those rezs will last 3 of his plants under 3 600s for 3 days. I'm doing probably 4 plants under 3 600s, so it's fairly comparable.

I think a major advantage of them is it gives me more room to move my tables around when I need to get between them, considering each table is only going to have 6-12 inches between them. The con is they hold about 60% as much liquid as the roughnecks.

Any input on this?

In on secret SRT.

Progress pics:

Sealing off the ceiling lights with orca film and weather proof tape:

1st layer of prodex up on the ceiling. This was a major pain in the ass to do by myself! The heavy duty stapler helped to get it up before taping, but getting it lined up correctly and flat was a major fucking hassle.

Building materials from lowes: 2X4s, plywood and pvc pipe for scrog screens:

Got one of my buddies to come over and help me get the 2nd layer of insulation on the ceiling, because my "heavy duty" staple gun couldn't penetrate 2 laters of insulation, so there really was no way to do it cleanly by myself. Also had him help me get the orca film on the ceiling, mount the 1" plywood over the window (it was surprisingly heavy) and screw the 2x4s into the ceiling joists.

All the 2x4s up on the ceiling:

Covering the plywood with orca film:

Anndddd covered!

Insulating over where the baseboard heater was:

2nd layer to cover the light switch also:

Orca all up and buttoned up!

picture.php

Getting the closet insulated:

picture.php

2nd layer of insulation around the sub panel:

picture.php

one of the many piles of tape backings. I've probably spent over $250 on tape alone so far, no joke!

picture.php

So as of right now I have everything insulated except the door, and possibly floor.

Which raises the question: should I insulate the floor with the prodex??? Gnome I think you chimed in on this at one point but can't remember.. I going to cover the floor with pond liner, and am debating putting the prodex under it. My only concern with that is that over time the prodex would get worn out/torn from having stuff on it/walking around on it, which could cause some issues under the pond liner of some sort maybe?

Orca film is up everywhere now except in the closet.

So this week's schedule:

Get the film up in the closet

Hang the lights, attach the fans

Get everything wired up with the electrician

Frame out the floor, install the pond liner

Install the closet roll up "door" with orca film and tarp zipers

Gonna be a busy week!

the gnome

Veteran
coming along Mr Bad!
everything's looking nice-n-clean and looks like yer past the 1/2 way point :D
glad to hear an xtra set of hands came on the job.
I was lucky to have my lady "on call* 24/7 on my build.

soooooo..... are you looking at any kind of start up date yet?

coming along Mr Bad!
everything's looking nice-n-clean and looks like yer past the 1/2 way point :D
glad to hear an xtra set of hands came on the job.
I was lucky to have my lady "on call* 24/7 on my build.

soooooo..... are you looking at any kind of start up date yet?

I damn hope I'm past the 1/2 way point :laughing:

Since I was so anal about the insulating and making sure EVERY seam was taped correctly, that took so much time, and the rest should be relatively easier.

Any thoughts on the prodex on the floor???

Getting the pond liner in might prove to be a pain also... I think the one I got is like 15'x20', and there's no where big enough on the property to lay it out to cut it to size, so I'm not quite sure how I'm gonna go about it.

Hopin to get the electrical done by thursday, run it for a day to make sure it's all gravy, and move some plants in next weekend...

....Keeping my fingers crossed.

the gnome

Veteran
I damn hope I'm past the 1/2 way point :laughing:

Since I was so anal about the insulating and making sure EVERY seam was taped correctly, that took so much time, and the rest should be relatively easier.

Any thoughts on the prodex on the floor???

Getting the pond liner in might prove to be a pain also... I think the one I got is like 15'x20', and there's no where big enough on the property to lay it out to cut it to size, so I'm not quite sure how I'm gonna go about it.

Hopin to get the electrical done by thursday, run it for a day to make sure it's all gravy, and move some plants in next weekend...

....Keeping my fingers crossed.

prodex on the floor eh...hmmmmm :chin:
is the room in a 2nd story or on the ground,
are you on the ground with a conctrete slab? or a floor joist system?
you'll really benefit if on a joist system.
if your not on a slab i would definitely go with prodex on the floor.
it should be a fairly quick and easy install

Last edited:
Yesterday had the electrician stop by to do a few things. Replaced all the ground level outlets with GFCIs as a precautionary measure, as I'm guessing that I'll end up accidentally flooding my room at least once in the future at some point. Also put in some outlet gaskets behind each outlet plate as per gnomes suggestion way earlier.

picture.php

Next he installed a dedicated 20 amp outlet for the dehumidifier... Dehuey pulls like 9.4amps but says is supposed to run on a dedicated circuit (I'm sure 15 is plenty but he only had a 20 amp outlet on him at the moment). Now I've run the dehuey all over the house on circuits shared with other outlets in use, as have my friends, and have never had a problem, but I figure following the directions is usually a good thing lol.

picture.php

Did I mention how many freakin rolls of tape I've been through so far... And this pic was taken after I had been throwing away the rolls for the first week or so!

picture.php

Nice...just ran across this thread. Will be checking back Bad Habit!

Welcome dude! Glad to have ya!

prodex on the floor eh...hmmmmm :chin:
is the room in a 2nd story or on the ground,
are you on the ground with a conctrete slab? or a floor joist system?
you'll really benefit if on a joist system.
if your not on a slab i would definitely go with prodex on the floor.
it should be a fairly quick and easy install

Room is on the 1st floor, on a joist system I believe with no concrete slab. Looks like I'll be going with it on the floor then :biggrin: Thanks as always man.

Today was a good day! Got a lot of stuff done.

Got all the reflectors up!

picture.php

Some fans mounted

picture.php

Cross mounted 2 2x4s at the end of the 2x4s used for the lights, where I mounted all the ballasts:

picture.php

Freakin forest of cords! I made sure to label every reflector and cord with a number so if something goes out or screws up it should be easy to track it down.

Time to tame the cords! Nice handy zip ties with holes for screws in them:

picture.php

cords sure are a pain in the ass... since they're heavy duty, they don't like to bend or flex to much, which means I had to spend a long ass time tweaking with their positioning in order to get the hood to sit relatively "flat" without the cords pushing them lopsided in one direction.

the gnome

Veteran
Dyammmm Bad.... :good:

looks like your knocking out the punch list soon bro
cable ties are a godsend, especially with muliple ballasts/hoods
likes your way of thinking on numbering each hood/ballast/line
I number everything back to the recepticles

looking at those hoods hanging reminds of collective soul tune....
ooooo o! heaven let your light shine down!

Dyammmm Bad.... :good:

looks like your knocking out the punch list soon bro
cable ties are a godsend, especially with muliple ballasts/hoods
likes your way of thinking on numbering each hood/ballast/line
I number everything back to the recepticles

looking at those hoods hanging reminds of collective soul tune....
ooooo o! heaven let your light shine down!

yaaa buddy! Got most of the main room finished. Now I gotta finish the closet and seal it off, and hook up the CO2. Never dealt with a Co2 tank before, so I'm a little bit anxious....

Got a shit ton of pics incoming...

Electrical All Finished Up

Electrical All Finished Up

So in the room there is one 15 amp circuit that powers all of the preexisting outlets, as well as the outlets in the living room, and the lights in that room, the living room and kitchen. Hella weird. So originally my electrician was thinking he could splice the circuit in the attic so that he could separate that into like 3 different 15 amp circuits on new breakers, so there would be plenty of juice to power all my accessories - all the lights/fans in the veg closet, the wall mounted fans, the max fan for the carbon filter, and the shop vac. Well that plan didn't work out because of how the circuits were run down the walls or something so the only way he could do it was to open up the walls. Obviously didn't wanna do that, so we decided the best thing to do would be to add in a few extra over-wall outlets in the room on new breakers on the sub panel.

15 amp quad in the closet for the veg

picture.php

15 amp quad in the corner of the room for the max fan, and probably all the pumps in the rezs.

picture.php

Light controllers all wired up and plugged in (one cap 8 and one cap 4) Think it's probably a good thing to not have to run the controllers at max capacity, as I heard it stresses them more and it's better to have plugs unused.

picture.php

Light Test!

picture.php

This is the brightest grow room I've ever been in I think. I've been in 30k rooms before, but they were with 1000 watters with adjustawings and like 20ft ceilings. There is sooo much light overlap in this room it's insane. Can't be in the room with the lights on without glasses, you're eyes just get all fucked up. Whereas I can be in the 30k rooms without sunglasses no problem at all.

One more dedicated 15amp circuit for the co2 controller:

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts