What's new

Avid vs Forbid Vs Foramite for spidermites?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Current way to kill spider mites - 1 cup of molasses and 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide to 4 parts water in a gallon. Spray every 2 to three days for 2 weeks. Boom. No harsh pesticides needed.

jackspratt61

Slownickel recipe: Calcium hydroxide to ph 11. Spray the clear liquid after solids settle. Then spray light vinegar mix at ph 3. Works well.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Spraying anything "except water" on plants is unnatural. Anyone that has spider mites grow after grow should know there's an environmental imbalance in their growing method. Having spider mites in every grow is a symptom of an underlying problem. Spider mites are attracted to weak plants, and prefer hot, dusty conditions. They will attack plants that are under water stress. Mites love temperatures in the 80s or 26c.

Over-fertilized pants are more prone to diseases like mold, pithium, and helminthsporium. It can actually decrease growth and leave plants weak and vulnerable to pests and diseases.

If I have to spray insecticide in every grow then that is my signal telling me my growing method needs to be tweaked or changed altogether. 😎

Ca++

Current way to kill spider mites - 1 cup of molasses and 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide to 4 parts water in a gallon. Spray every 2 to three days for 2 weeks. Boom. No harsh pesticides needed.
It's unclear what you are saying. Perhaps the 1:4 is a cup of 0.6%? The ratio is there, but no quantity. Such a low dose of h2o2 isn't usually an active ingredient. It's to stop bacterial action, to aid shelf life. In most cases.

You can just drown them with a wetting agent. They can't close their air holes. It's surface tension that stops them drowning. Wetting agent kills the hatched ones, so you just need the life cycle at your temperature to pick an application frequency. Most home growers can get a powered atomiser and drench every bit of the plant. So systemic treatments are not needed.

Being approved, doesn't make a chemical good. Approvals look at the lesser of evils. Better to be poisoned than starve, for example. Have the covid jab, it doesn't kill many. The list of banned chems that were once the best thing to use is almost endless. Growing each year. There is no doubt a pesticide is poison, so why would you use it, when you can just drown them. The chances are pesticide applications are just drowning them, and selling you something you think works.

Last edited:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
It's unclear what you are saying. Perhaps the 1:4 is a cup of 0.6%? The ratio is there, but no quantity. Such a low dose of h2o2 isn't usually an active ingredient. It's to stop bacterial action, to aid shelf life. In most cases.

You can just drown them with a wetting agent. They can't close their air holes. It's surface tension that stops them drowning. Wetting agent kills the hatched ones, so you just need the life cycle at your temperature to pick an application frequency. Most home growers can get a powered atomiser and drench every bit of the plant. So systemic treatments are not needed.

Being approved, doesn't make a chemical good. Approvals look at the lesser of evils. Better to be poisoned than starve, for example. Have the covid jab, it doesn't kill many. The list of banned chems that were once the best thing to use is almost endless. Growing each year. There is no doubt a pesticide is poison, so why would you use it, when you can just drown them. The chances are pesticide applications are just drowning them, and selling you something you think works.
When I say 1:4 ratio I mean 1/5th of the gallon is is h2o2 and 4/5ths of the gallon is water,

My bad. When I say 1:4 ratio I mean 1/5th of the gallon is is h2o2 and 4/5ths of the gallon is water, so 757ml of 3%h2o2.