What's new

Avid vs Forbid Vs Foramite for spidermites?

kid1

I see small doses of avid and Forbid for sell in small doses on the bay. but no floramite which from reading sounds to the only thing that works for some. I can't afford a large quantity. are avid or forbid legit from experience? thanks

S

split kooks

I have used both and unfortunatley I needed to reapply about three times - I HIGHLY RECCOMEND floramie @ 30 drops/gal and you wont need to respray for weeks or months if you spray well - and THEY ALL WILL DIE (Except for the unhatched in which case you must respray anyways a few weeks later)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
can only speak for floramite... it kills those suckers dead :joint: .. also kills the eggs :joint: , but agree another spraying at 3 weeks will get any of the bastards still around.. we don't wait for 3 weeks, re-spraying at 2 weeks, and a final spray 2 weeks after that..

maxxim

I like floramite also but I went ahead and bought the Stirrup-m to make sure they all got into the stuff....

Thank god they are all gone now because mites suck major ass....

I`d almost say that any grower should just buy a bottle of both because it seems to be only a matter of time before you get mites once....

SmokeyPufmaster

Veteran
I don't know about the other two but Floramite works great. I used two applications and haven't seen a mite in two years. There was a hydro site that sold Floramite by the oz. But they don't anymore. If you know four or five other growers, you can split a bottle. Other than that keep watching e-bay.

Yup, a two-pronged defense is the best bet, and as I have used Floramite, it is the SHIZZLE. and extremely concentrated, so you only use literally a drop or 2 in a qt or so spray bottle. 1 oz will last you a verrry verrry long time. I got a 2 oz bottle on eBay for $20, free ship. Knocked the little Borg buggers right out. Awesome stuff. But always have a second line of defense, as well as uber clean grow room practices.

It took some time, but I figured out where the Borg were coming from. They had an ornamental shrub in front of the house INFESTED, and naturally, when walking up to the front door, you pass directly by them. It's easy for them to hitch a ride on your clothes. Pets too... so when you give Fido a good petting, they transfer onto YOU, then your girls when you visit them.

Best thing is always shower before entering your grow, and it would even be good to have a pair of 'grow slippers' next to the entry to your room. Always keep street shoes as far from the room/grow area as possible.

I kept getting re-infestations and couldn't figure out why for some time, but after discovering the BorgBush in the front of the house, it all became clear, and resonable deduction said they were getting on pets, shoes, etc.

The BorgBush got a HEAVY dose of Floramite too, as did all the rest of the ornamentals out front.

SPM

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
Floramite is the best bet. Avid smells really strong, it will stink up your room or whereever you apply it and forbid I didn't like too much, both didn't get as much kill as Floramite. If you have to keep spraying though and floramite lost effectivness, maybe try forbid before avid.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^^
like limeygreen sez, floramite is the best, forbid & avid work but not as well.
avid is apparently a neurotoxin so its not best to use near any humans...
tetrasan and floramite together, mites all dead, eggs all torched

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have used them all but like forbid and avid the best as they also kill broad mites. floramite does not work on those bastards and they are everywhere now in the canna world.

the gnome

Veteran
i have used them all but like forbid and avid the best as they also kill broad mites. floramite does not work on those bastards and they are everywhere now in the canna world.

yup.
I don't know how avid and forbid work on reg mites?
seems they would do just as good as on broads?
but i have floramite also.

Mia

Rotation is key.
Forbid is the best from the research I've done if you're going to go that route. Novel Mode of Action, safer for us and the environment, etc.
There have been indications that the residual in Avid is longer than indicated..
There are also natural methods that you shouldn't ignore...

S

Scrappy-doo

I have used floramite, and it works well.

I prefer forbid however. I like that you don't have to ph the water for it to be effective and if you don't use it all you can just store it in the spray bottle you mixed and it stays good for quite a while. I've used a mix from months previous and it still works well. Also I have noticed no photosensitivity at all or damage to foliage with forbid. These are all things that IMO make forbid better.

Floramite is more fragile. If your water is warm/hot it diminishes the effects. If you don't ph your water to 5.5, it diminishes the effects. I don't believe you can store it once it's mixed as it's potency doesn't last too long. Also the shelf life on a bottle of floramite I believe is only one year. I've also noticed photosensitivity in my plants as well after an application, and in some cases there was damage to foliage even without the lights on.

It works very well. I just found forbid more user friendly and it has been every bit as effective for me.

Mia

Forbid also translocates whereas floramite does not, meaning you must have thorough coverage..something to keep in mind if you're using floramite.

Jbonez

Veteran
I have a 3 hit combo that Ive only ever had to use once, I got infected cuts one time so yeah..

Floramite and Avid both work about the same, I like both because mites are supposed to be resistant over time to just one.. I also sprayed em in veg with SNS 217, that was a few years back...

Check out caps bennies if you want a true all natural pest deterrent.. floramite and avid are toxic to us, so what I did was eradicate all the larger plants, put something like paper towels in the dirt to hold it in, and then turn the little plants upside down and do a full plant dunk, if you see mites after this, Im at a loss!

Just noticed this thread was 3 years old, lol..

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
og biowar doesnt work at all on spider mites. is that true about flouromite shelf life? i was about to spray some but its been in the cabinet for like 3-4 years...

Bongstar420

Spray 2ml at flip. 0ppm testable residue. Won't save you from the broads as they catch up quick after 3 weeks. My broads are the resistant ones procured from the inept growers out there running the industry- a legal cut from a big grower. In this case, Avid gives control for about 1-2weeks.

And if you use AgriMek, you won't have any issues with the OLCC inspecting your spray records. Avid will probably be considered a nono as it has a different "inert ingredient" formula. Many pesticides are actually not as unhealthy as their adjutants. Avid contains Phalates. Google it

Abemectin is 100% natural

streptomyces avermitilis ZLX6001
http://google.com/patents/CN101407775B?cl=en

It is no less dangerous than Actinovate. Actually Actinovate is more dangerous if you worry about antibiotic resistant strep or stuff like that. Actinovate selects for antibiotic resistance in pathogenic bacteria.

What do you mean by "residual?"

Avid decomposes variably with a half life of 1-4 weeks depending on conditions. At the bottom of a pond, its half life is 1-6months

Rotation is key.
Forbid is the best from the research I've done if you're going to go that route. Novel Mode of Action, safer for us and the environment, etc.
There have been indications that the residual in Avid is longer than indicated..
There are also natural methods that you shouldn't ignore...

It used to. But after it became "popular" they changed their ingredients and the average moron was none the wise. ChaChing! Profit from their field grow, then profit from their increased purchasing of pot because their grow failed.

The ingredients people posted a few years ago would actually have been fairly effective. The actual package I read at the hydroshop would provide nothing but possible reduction in mold/mildew from competition which any inoculant would provide. In fact, I bought 5lbs of inoculated kelp for $7 from Wilco which had better strains of bacteria with CFU in the 1,000,000-3,000,000 range.

og biowar doesnt work at all on spider mites. is that true about flouromite shelf life? i was about to spray some but its been in the cabinet for like 3-4 years...

Hmmm...is that so!
http://www.huvepharma.com/products/view/127

For humans:
Ivermectin
http://www.rxlist.com/stromectol-drug.htm

"Ivermectin differs from abamectin in that it lacks a double bond in one of the lactone rings at C22-C23."
http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v31je03.htm

I have a 3 hit combo that Ive only ever had to use once, I got infected cuts one time so yeah..

Floramite and Avid both work about the same, I like both because mites are supposed to be resistant over time to just one.. I also sprayed em in veg with SNS 217, that was a few years back...

Check out caps bennies if you want a true all natural pest deterrent.. floramite and avid are toxic to us, so what I did was eradicate all the larger plants, put something like paper towels in the dirt to hold it in, and then turn the little plants upside down and do a full plant dunk, if you see mites after this, Im at a loss!

Just noticed this thread was 3 years old, lol..

Why would you consider buying repackaged chemicals from people who exhibit open disregard for the rule of law? How likely is someone like that to have the same integrity as a proper law abiding business? You can't say a word if they burn you with diluted product, or worse, a banned product mixed in for more "punch."

I see small doses of avid and Forbid for sell in small doses on the bay. but no floramite which from reading sounds to the only thing that works for some. I can't afford a large quantity. are avid or forbid legit from experience? thanks

Last edited:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use a small amount of dr schimmel,,nukes spider mite,,
i needed to use it in week 7 of bloom to avoid an infestation just before harvest and i even communicated with the doc through his office staff cos he was out on the road and as i was so concerned about using it so far in bloom,,,
he re-assured me so i sprayed and waited a couple of days,,,
no spider mites whatsoever and plant vitality in dr s had the plants looking great,,,,,
just my experiance of it,,,,s2

T

Timm

Spray 2ml at flip. 0ppm testable residue. Won't save you from the broads as they catch up quick after 3 weeks. My broads are the resistant ones procured from the inept growers out there running the industry- a legal cut from a big grower. In this case, Avid gives control for about 1-2weeks.

And if you use AgriMek, you won't have any issues with the OLCC inspecting your spray records. Avid will probably be considered a nono as it has a different "inert ingredient" formula. Many pesticides are actually not as unhealthy as their adjutants. Avid contains Phalates. Google it

Abemectin is 100% natural

streptomyces avermitilis ZLX6001
http://google.com/patents/CN101407775B?cl=en

It is no less dangerous than Actinovate. Actually Actinovate is more dangerous if you worry about antibiotic resistant strep or stuff like that. Actinovate selects for antibiotic resistance in pathogenic bacteria.

What do you mean by "residual?"

Avid decomposes variably with a half life of 1-4 weeks depending on conditions. At the bottom of a pond, its half life is 1-6months

It used to. But after it became "popular" they changed their ingredients and the average moron was none the wise. ChaChing! Profit from their field grow, then profit from their increased purchasing of pot because their grow failed.

The ingredients people posted a few years ago would actually have been fairly effective. The actual package I read at the hydroshop would provide nothing but possible reduction in mold/mildew from competition which any inoculant would provide. In fact, I bought 5lbs of inoculated kelp for $7 from Wilco which had better strains of bacteria with CFU in the 1,000,000-3,000,000 range.

Hmmm...is that so!
http://www.huvepharma.com/products/view/127

For humans:
Ivermectin
http://www.rxlist.com/stromectol-drug.htm

"Ivermectin differs from abamectin in that it lacks a double bond in one of the lactone rings at C22-C23."
http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v31je03.htm

Why would you consider buying repackaged chemicals from people who exhibit open disregard for the rule of law? How likely is someone like that to have the same integrity as a proper law abiding business? You can't say a word if they burn you with diluted product, or worse, a banned product mixed in for more "punch."

You're giving bad advice ... 'abamectin is natural'

It is derived from natural soil microbes but that does not mean it is safe by a long stretch. It is extremely toxic and dangerous to reproductive organs and can cause nerve damage.