What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

av8or's PPK - First Grow

av8or

definitely mites

definitely mites

Bought a microscope. I have mites. What now??

Attachments

• IMAG1856.jpg
    IMAG1856.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG1852.jpg
    IMAG1852.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 10

Miraculous Meds

I cant tell 100% bro, but if u see them with around 100x that means they are probably broads or cyclamens. Same difference basically. So as far as I know u got two solid options. U can go the no chem way and raise ur room temp to 120f, which takes some reading to make sure u follow the rules and don't scorch ur plants and heat everything evenly to kill them all off. Or u can go the avid route. Strong miticide that has its dangers. Definitely requires a good thorough read to be safe to ur self, pets, and others. Only in veg stage too. But avid and forbid are the strong chems for these mites, the cali favorite miticide "floramite" will not work for these mites. I suggest looking up the bm thread for advice on the chem sprays, or heat treatments. Retro is the guy I know that really preaches the heat treatment, and is a nice fellow usually willing to help or point u in the right direction. If u want more info on the chems ive went that route and can help u form a safe plan. Just let me know.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
My bms chose one strain over the other. They like limonene. Eventually they will get everything. I would burn those dr fs literally with a torch or in a fireplace... Or you might end up having to throw everything away. I had to last year. I've messed with all the cides in various strengths, and combinations. Avid forbid kontos conserve sc, a few others I cant remember right now... Didn't do shit to them compared to the heat treatment. Plus heat treatment is non toxic and kills off other pathogens as well like molds. If you use poisons indoor you are unfortunately going to be exposing yourself to it in the long term as the cides dry up and become a dust that you can breath in. They are meant to be used outdoors and broken down by uv light. Thats why you need a quarantine area. Your source probably has bms and doesn't even know it. I would be hesitant to get anything else from them. Untill you can get clean clothes on and look carefully at all their moms.

Talk to retro. He is a heat treatment expert.

av8or

Mite treatments in place. Continuing to improve the grow room. I built D9's cloning system, for the most part. It has all the pieces, just tailored to my needs. I only have the three Sour Urkels in it right now, but in a few days I plan on putting my first five seedlings (all sprouted and are doing well) and my first two cuttings (which are also coming along nicely).

I'm not sure what to do for a feed schedule, so I have them at 600 ppm, flood (takes 90 seconds) every three hours. I'm sure there will need to be adjustments made, but with no reference for this, I'll just see how it goes.

Attachments

• IMAG1912.jpg
    IMAG1912.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG1908.jpg
    IMAG1908.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 12

av8or

The cloner portion isn't pictured. I'll take some more pics once I get it finished. These plants were all over a foot tall when I topped them a week ago so I'm still running them at 600 ppm. My understanding was that you had two parts to your system...a cloning portion at 300 ppm and a "pre-veg" portion with the nutes and lights bumped up. Is that correct?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
The cloner portion isn't pictured. I'll take some more pics once I get it finished. These plants were all over a foot tall when I topped them a week ago so I'm still running them at 600 ppm. My understanding was that you had two parts to your system...a cloning portion at 300 ppm and a "pre-veg" portion with the nutes and lights bumped up. Is that correct?

that is correct!

Permacultuure

Veteran
My bms chose one strain over the other. They like limonene. Eventually they will get everything. I would burn those dr fs literally with a torch or in a fireplace... Or you might end up having to throw everything away. I had to last year. I've messed with all the cides in various strengths, and combinations. Avid forbid kontos conserve sc, a few others I cant remember right now... Didn't do shit to them compared to the heat treatment. Plus heat treatment is non toxic and kills off other pathogens as well like molds. If you use poisons indoor you are unfortunately going to be exposing yourself to it in the long term as the cides dry up and become a dust that you can breath in. They are meant to be used outdoors and broken down by uv light. Thats why you need a quarantine area. Your source probably has bms and doesn't even know it. I would be hesitant to get anything else from them. Untill you can get clean clothes on and look carefully at all their moms.

Talk to retro. He is a heat treatment expert.

HL is right.....for the sake of yourself and your patients use the heat treatments. Not only is it safer it is much more effective. Avid is a waste of time because its not and ovacide, doesnt kill the eggs.

Don't take these fuckers lightly, they will destroy your garden quickly. Did you get the clones from a dispensary? It would be smart to inform who ever they came from, but most people argue it, until three months later.......

av8or

Still recovering from mites, but things are moving forward. The flower room seems not to have gotten bugged, so I'm happy about that. My first plant is doing surprisingly well considering all the hell I've put her through. The first pic is on November 2nd when I put the J1 into flower. She was tiny but has really packed on some weight. I'm trying to get ahold of another clone of this plant. I want to grow it up large next time. She smells like skittles. Yumm!!! I can't wait to harvest in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• J1 Day 1 Flower_edited.jpg
    J1 Day 1 Flower_edited.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 10
  • J1 Christmas Day.jpg
    J1 Christmas Day.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 11

av8or

Here's how things are looking so far. I have a J1 coming down next week, and at that point, I'll finally have every stage of life going in my room. I have some 9 Pound Hammer seeds sprouting right now. Beneath them, the Jillybean seedlings are on their 4th node. Up on the "pre-veg" table, the Sour Urkels have been hacked all to bits because I got really bored (and possibly a bit high) and had to touch something in the room. That's the result. Keep in mind, I've been a grower for a whole lot of two and a half months now. The Strawberry Cough plants in veg have mostly recovered from mites and are filling out nicely. I had a really large lateral growing on the S.C. on the right side, so I bent the main stem over and tied it down to make it bushier instead. It has almost doubled in vegetation since doing so. I realize I'm messing with my plants way too much right now, but truth be told, every plant prior to the Jillybean seedlings were and are considered "R&D," so the fact that I've successfully set up a perpetual grow (many, many thanks to all of you who have gotten me here) is really exciting. 2015 is looking up and it hasn't even started! Thank you very much to those of you who have led the way and to those who have taken the time to teach me so much. D9, HL45, Snook, MM, Mr. D and Permaculture...you guys (and gal!!) absolutely kick ass. Now it's time to go learn how to harvest, dry and cure!!

Attachments

• IMAG2058.jpg
    IMAG2058.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG2083.jpg
    IMAG2083.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG2067.jpg
    IMAG2067.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG2086.jpg
    IMAG2086.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG2070.jpg
    IMAG2070.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 12

HarvestMoon303

Nice recovery! Things are looking awesome now! I'm also doing a first-time hydro run, and so far I have been lucky. A few pages back, I was going to suggest maybe another clone source, but it looks like it's pretty dialed in now.

Nice grow room too, I am in the process of setting up a perpetual and have two stages so far (seeds that popped and plants in Veg). I will be psyched, like you were, to have plants in all three stages, and hopefully healthy!

Good luck, I'd be interested to see the harvest!

*I also get a "little" high and decide to move/prune the garden, it happens. :)

av8or

Harvest Moon, thanks for the kind words. I harvest my first plant here in a few days and I'm really excited. Best of luck to you as you get your perpetual going, as well!

Friends...I am developing an issue on some leaves. Any ideas? The ph in the main res is at 5.31 and the ppm just over 800. I have been inputting 600 @ 5.8. Room temps are 71-76 with humidity between 50-55%. Ideas? My flowering plants are not exhibiting this, just my two strawberry coughs in veg. (all are fed from the same res.) I'm wondering if it has something to do with the nutes being consumed by my later flowering plants causing an imbalance for those in veg? I dunno. Is it possible that its residual damage from the mites three weeks ago?

Attachments

• IMAG2095.jpg
    IMAG2095.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG2096.jpg
    IMAG2096.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG2094.jpg
    IMAG2094.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 11

Mrrite008

Looks like nute burn, are you running perpetual with plants in vegg and flower off the same pulse res? If so, thats gonna be your problem. Pms will drop in vegg and rise in flower.

Mister_D

Veteran
I'd venture to guess because your ph is too low your plants aren't eating like they should (hence the rising EC). What you are ultimately experiencing is combination of lockout, and nute burn. Adjust ph and EC in the main so they are 5.8 and 1.2EC respectively.

Miraculous Meds

I'd venture to guess because your ph is too low your plants aren't eating like they should (hence the rising EC). What you are ultimately experiencing is combination of lockout, and nute burn. Adjust ph and EC in the main so they are 5.8 and 1.2EC respectively.

This pretty well covers it imo.

av8or

Thanks, guys. I think the ph must be the culprit. With the ec rising, ph dropping and signs of phosphorus deficiency, I can't think of another reason. Balancing the ph is the system is easy enough, but I want a more permanent fix.

Those of who run a perpetual ppk, how do you combat this? Am I just going to have to swap nutes regularly or simply stay on top of the ph?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I forget, are you running Jacks Pro+C @ 600ppms?

and this just happen to me last grow... have you cleaned and calibrated your meters?

Miraculous Meds

Thanks, guys. I think the ph must be the culprit. With the ec rising, ph dropping and signs of phosphorus deficiency, I can't think of another reason. Balancing the ph is the system is easy enough, but I want a more permanent fix.

Those of who run a perpetual ppk, how do you combat this? Am I just going to have to swap nutes regularly or simply stay on top of the ph?

If I wasn't showing symptoms like u, I would drive it down by reducing the volume res ec by half till the system regulated back to normal ec, with a dash of ph up right away.

But since u are showing problems already, I would drain the system as best as possible, without tearing it apart, which would probably be about 75%. Then refill it, adjusting to a final ec of 1.0 and 5.8 ph and go from there.

One other thing I like to do sometimes when this happens, is to pour 1.0/5.8ph solution thru the planters, and drain that too. That will help reset the medium and make ur system solution more stable once u change it. this is basically like flushing ur plants to help reduce the chance of built up nutrient and low ph from altering ur npk ratios that ur resetting, by draining and refilling the system.

av8or

Snook - I'm running 600ppm Jacks + CalNit. 360/240.

MM - good call. I'm filling up a few other reservoirs with RO water right now. When they're full this afternoon, I'll drain my whole system. All I have to do is plug the pump into a garden hose and pump it completely out of the system (except the last half inch which I usually wipe out with a clean towel. I'll definitely flush the top buckets like you mentioned. Thanks!

Is this going to take a while recover from?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey are you ph'ing it to get it to that 5.8? if you are that could explain the 5.3 reading.

with the nice tap water you have you should just mix on top of the tap water as if it doesn't exist.

i think your tap is around 100 ppm like mine here and i mix 360 on top of it bringing it to 460 ppm before the calcinit. then 240 calcinit bringing it to about 700 total. this is for veg but you can run everything off of it if you like.

also all at the .5 ppm conversion on a bluelab handheld.

if you are getting an initially higher ph reading and ph'ing down to 5.8 you may be inducing the display because it will continue to move downward after the initial correction.

also you are probably running the bottoms too wet. you might try dropping the water level an inch for effect.