What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autoflower Mentor

blackosprey

I would assume F2 from autos would be auto, but a cross you would end up with a mix. However I think I just answered my own question, at the very best you could expect 25% would be auto at F2 on a cross?

You are correct
RR (regular flower, dominate gene) x aa (auto, recessive gene)
in F1 would result in
RR, Ra, Ra, aa

In F2, you would get 50% (RR, Ra, aa, aa)

And finally, in f3, you could get 100% auto gene.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Think I'll have any issues running Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil straight after germinating my seeds?

Unfortunately I don't know the EC or anything about the foxfarm range, being in europe i've used biobizz primarily. Or the equivalent labled as the 'light' mix.

Hopefully someone in the US can point you in the right direction RE: successfull soil brands that aren't too strong to start AF's in?

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Better safe than sorry.

I had issues as I ran AF's in straight biobizz allmix in the past, sometimes they'd be fine other times they'd get really stunted through burn.

I didn't do any trials to define whether it was the different strains, or the strength of the soil was up and down like a yo-yo,

But switched to a mix for seedlings/low nutrients and didn't have a problem since

And if you frazzle AF's when they are very young you may aswell replant in my experience.

J

joejusttyped

Congrats Mitch it's a well earned title bro!

And yeah at the risk of ruining an auto crop by stunting them I would cut that FfOF with FFLW or something like promix and sunshine#4.

Husky Jackal

Very Neat Monster
Veteran
This is a very good idea, many people want to know more from expericenced auto growers. Big up for mitch_connor and S_a_H ! Respect, HJ.

SkoozyManoozy

Hey guys, so I'm growing two AF seeds from SGS and one is a male and the other a female. I was told that if I try to breed them together, the resulting seeds will NOT be autoflowering. is this true? Also, if I just let the male and the female grow alongside each other, will they naturally pollinate the proper way? Thank you.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Totally untrue.

If you breed the AF male with the AF female, your resulting beans will be all autoflowering.

They will make seed left together,

the problem is that the males are ready to bust their pollen a few weeks before the females have developed enough pistils to make a nice amount of seed.

If it's an option you could move the male to a window sill (if it's safe to do so)

Or if you have to keep them together, you could top the male, once, perhaps twice to slow him down.

Hope that helps?

Peace mitch

SkoozyManoozy

That definitely helps, thank you very much. I'm gonna seperate the male by himself and just let my female do it's thing then. The female started shooting out a few white pistols on the top node yesterday.

What do you say is a proper time to polinate the female?

Thank you so much for your help, many people don't like helping out the beginners but we all gotta start somewhere :)

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it's cool man,

it's hard to give a definitive answer without knowing how you are growing them, but about 3 weeks from you seeing the preflowers is a good aim. :)

fenomeno_djo

Hi everybody! and glad to see this thread made sticky

Northern Lights and Lowryder #2
Day 45 from seed(aprox)

I have a question regarding the foliage of my plants. Is it a common thing to remove some big fan leaves that don't allow the sunlight to reach the lower buds ? Or maybe removing the lower buds is not a bad ideea? Recomandations will be greatly appreciated by yours trully

l.e.: of course: nl (left) and lowryder #2 (right)

Attachments

• user267827_pic906239_1340914853.jpg
    user267827_pic906239_1340914853.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 9
  • user267827_pic906359_1340946854.jpg
    user267827_pic906359_1340946854.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 10

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I sometimes remove fan leaves and lower budsites if over crowding / crowding out is happening (indoors), but I'm very careful not to do it in a stressful manner.

If you can you'd be better to just keep the fan leaves and tuck them where possible to encourage the lower branches to grow up and out

It looks like you're in a greenhouse? (unless you just photographed them in there)

Lower buds are handy to pollinate if you want to make a few seeds :)

Hope that helps, peace

fenomeno_djo

I suppose I'll tuck the big ones to allow sunlight to the lower buds..and hope will make a positive difference in the yield (wich i'm not particulary interested, since it's my virginity-grow) and with a bit of luck don't stress the plant.
If the "tucking method" dsn't work i'll just leave them alone - no harm

I am only going to do this to the nl, since she is the bigger one, and the more leafier.
The lowryder's fine. She's going to get chopped in 2 weeks

Thanks for the advice mitch!

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No problems mate,

It's all about trying things and finding out what works for you in your situation,

But if you do want to try things, try using the same strain and leaving one alone whilst trying out one thing on another, then you have a pretty fair comparison to view at the end

fenomeno_djo

I tucked the big leaves so the sunlight can do it's magic on the little lower buds, though not without some fear of ripping them. I think i never smoked an autobud before. Should be interesting, since the resin production has gone smoother these day for the Lowryder. The NL has the bigger buds, will be harvested rather late..about 80 days i presume - true auto ?

I think I'll grow lowryders again next year and will apply your "gain experience from experimenting" strategy. I simply love to do those kinda things on these plants, they're so "humanesque" withstanding all that torture we give them :D

Mitch..thanks for the support!