What's new

auto pineapple express

Organic joe

i have a couple questions as this is my first time growing anything seed to finish

i am growing feminized auto pineapple express under 5 26w cfls
im doing a seed run now and was spraying with silver water until i seen what i belive to be pollen sacks are these pollen sacks?
when will they be ready to harvest?
i read that sometimes you have to manualy open hermied pollen sacks is this true?
how do i go about opening them when they are ready and do i have to dry the pollen before i pollinate the other female i have?
thanks in advance for any feed back

organic joe

Organic joe

bud shots from hermi

bud shots from hermi

sorry when i tried to put thes in the first post the were all over the place between the text but here she/he is

oh and ive been feeding lucas formula maxi-bloom in ro water
she he is between two and three months now

thanks
organic joe

Piel

Veteran
Looks like the yellow things on the last pic might be sacks but if they are then you have a hermie -don´t trust me though, one of the gurus can probably give you a better answer.

Organic joe

Looks like the yellow things on the last pic might be sacks but if they are then you have a hermie -don´t trust me though, one of the gurus can probably give you a better answer.

Yes it is a hermi I sprayed colloidal silver on it so I can get feminized seeds for an outdoor grow this season whenever the weather stops being stupid
But I'm not sure if they are pollen sacks and when/how to tell if they are ready so I can pollinate my other female pineapple express I just started about a month ago...

I figured I'd have more responses by now but I guess I'm just being impatient and need to wait a little longer for some one more experienced to chime in

blackosprey

Hermi's will not give you 100% female seed, if I'm not mistaken. Those are definitely pollen sacks though. You need a full on female, spray w CS, and the resulting pollen goes onto a different true female.

Organic joe

Hermi's will not give you 100% female seed, if I'm not mistaken. Those are definitely pollen sacks though. You need a full on female, spray w CS, and the resulting pollen goes onto a different true female.

Thanks for the reply it was a full on female I bought five feminized ape beans and sprayed one with Cs and the pics above is what i got in return... I didn't see the sacks show up until about six days after spraying with Cs two to three times a day

blackosprey

alright, so you should be fine. My best advice would be to hit the breeder's forum. there is an awesome CS thread in there, and all your questions on how/when to pollinate should be answered there. I would assume that manually opening the sacks would be to apply pressure until they burst open, but again, not sure about the timing.
please keep your progress updated here, very interested to see how this turns out for you.

Organic joe

alright, so you should be fine. My best advice would be to hit the breeder's forum. there is an awesome CS thread in there, and all your questions on how/when to pollinate should be answered there. I would assume that manually opening the sacks would be to apply pressure until they burst open, but again, not sure about the timing.
please keep your progress updated here, very interested to see how this turns out for you.

Thanks for the replies and ill check out the breeders forum and ill for sure keep this thread updated for those of you who care to check in on it from time to time
Thanks again
Organic joe

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes they definately pollen sacks

you will need to wait for the pods to start opening or you could pluck 1 off and cut it open to see whether the pollen is ready

we spray 2 weeks before flower
2 weeks into flower
and about week 5-6 flower(depending on strain) she/he is producing nice amount of pollen
we still manualy remove the pods to collect as much pollen as we can

peace

Snoopster

Veteran
You are fine.

You might have to open the pollen sacks yourself.
Do you plan on collecting the pollen and using it later?

I grabbed this on a site like this somewhere and saved it on my computer.

Collection and Storage of Pollen

One of the keys to producing viable seeds is the proper collection of, and if needed, storage of pollen. I try to make sure the pollen I use is viable. I am going to discuss how I go through the whole process. Pollen can stay viable for at least a week or two outside of the refrigerator.

I don't recommend waiting this long because it is important that pollen be as fresh as possible. This will prolong its viability during storage. Using pollen that is older is still better than nothing, if that is all you have to work with. Pollen that has become inviable does no good and wastes time and energy.

Male plants produce the pollen and females produce the seeds. ... tap the top of the cone slightly with my finger to see if the pollen falls out of the cone. If it is a very small cone, it is best to put a piece of paper under the cone to catch any pollen that may fall out. If ANY pollen falls from the cone, (EDIT PlantMan... instead of cone here we talk male cannabis flowers)it is ready to harvest. ...

You will notice that some of the pollen sacs are ruptured when you see that pollen has fallen out. If you don't catch the male cone on its first day releasing pollen, it is best to see how many of the pollen sacs have ruptured. If all the pollen sacs have ruptured, it may be hard to determine when the pollen has been released, and therefore may be inviable. ...

Extremely high temperatures will reduce the viability of pollen. Pollen will continue to shed for approximately five days. I collect the pollen every two days and place it in paper packets I make by folding small pieces of notebook paper and sealing the side and ends with tape. It is important to make sure that the tape covers as little of the surface as possible so that the paper packet can breathe. ...

In order to store pollen for long periods of time, it is important to remove as much of the water content in the pollen as possible. Store the pollen in a glass jar or vial, avoiding plastic bags, which can breathe and are not the best for long-term storage.

To reduce the water content in the pollen, place some desiccant in the bottom of the container. I use an indicating desiccant. When dry this material is blue, and as it absorbs moisture, it turns pink. By using an indicating desiccant, you can tell when it has absorbed all the moisture it can. It is impossible to tell whether regular desiccant is still dry just by looking at it. Once indicating desiccant has absorbed all the moisture possible, it turns pink. Place it in the oven and bake it until it turns blue again. This desiccant can be used over and over again. The amount of desiccant you use depends on the amount of pollen you are trying to dry out. I have found that 1/2 - 1" in the bottom of the container works well. The paper packets are then placed on top of the desiccant.

By using paper packets, which can breathe, the desiccant can do its job. Instead of using one big packet for all of your pollen, place the pollen in small packets so one packet can be removed quickly without disturbing the unused pollen. ... Write the species name and date stored on both sides of the packet so you can tell later on how old the pollen is.

Once I cap the vial, I place it in the refrigerator for two days. I do not place it directly in the freezer because the pollen's moisture content is too high; water expansion can rupture the pollen and render it inviable.

Once the pollen has been in the vial for at least two days, and as long as the paper packet has had enough breathable area, moisture content will be reduced enough for you to put the vial in the freezer. Once the vial is in the freezer, the pollen should be good for years. I have found that pollen will stay very fresh for at least three years.

I know one person who used pollen that had been stored for six years and got a good seed set. I have been told that if pollen were to be stored in liquid nitrogen, it would stay viable forever. Of course this method is not practical for most people. If you collect pollen on separate occasions, but eventually want to keep the pollen in the same container, it is best to store the newer pollen in a different vial and go through the same process in the refrigerator. Once the new pollen is desiccated, the newer packets can be quickly placed in the original container.

When removing packets for use, it is important to minimize the time that the vial is open because the pollen and packets can reabsorb moisture. This is another reason to use several packets instead of removing a small amount of pollen each time from one larger packet. Once you remove a packet, use the pollen as soon as possible.

Pollen loses viability quickly at room temperature and even faster at higher temperatures. Pollen can stay viable at room temperature for several days, but I attempt to maximize its viability so that more good seed is produced in the long run. Just because an entire cone is pollinated does not mean all of the seeds will germinate. Quality of the pollen has a great deal to do with how many seeds in each cone are viable. Another reason to keep moisture content low in pollen is to lessen the chance for fungus to grow on and kill the pollen.

When I send pollen to someone who lives far away, I send it in a vial containing desiccant. This will keep the viability high. If the shipping time will be longer than one week, I add a cold pack to the box, which seems to help. I have been thinking about making a shipping container that would have two compartments.

The inner middle compartment could hold the vial, and the outside compartment could hold ice to keep the vial cooler while shipping. If dry ice were used in the outer compartment, pollen most likely could be shipped anywhere in the world without loss of viability.

Organic joe

yes they definately pollen sacks

you will need to wait for the pods to start opening or you could pluck 1 off and cut it open to see whether the pollen is ready

we spray 2 weeks before flower
2 weeks into flower
and about week 5-6 flower(depending on strain) she/he is producing nice amount of pollen
we still manualy remove the pods to collect as much pollen as we can

peace

Thanks for your reply I'm not sure how many weeks into flower it is has to be getting close to four or five weeks I'll give it a few more days and then pluck one off and see what i get
I started spraying three weeks after it piped and then stopped when i seen the pods forming so i probably wasted to vs but it's ok next time I'll wait a lol longer thanks again

oj

Organic joe

@ snoopster thanks for that post I'll save that for future reference...
And yes I would like to save as much pollen as I can for future seed runs but I also have a female of the same strain almost ready to be pollenated she is showing her pistols and I think the little bitty buds are starting to form I'll post pics of her when I get home to my computer so you guys can check her out as well....

Thanks everyone for your help I'll keep this thread going until the seeds are harvested for those of you who want to keep up with it...

Peace
Oj

Organic joe

here is the girl to be seeded

here is the girl to be seeded

here are some different views of the girl thats going to be seeded
ive been doing some lst to maximize light penetration and i cut a couple of the bigger fan leaves off cause they were blocking some of the smaller flowers

and i forgot to mention earlier that im using hempy buckets

Organic joe

update

update

Ok well last night when I got home I went to check on the girl and he/she and was happy to see that some of the pods have opened up so I harvested what I could and cut them open and pollinated the female.

I then cut the top cola off the he/she and hung it to dry. I know I can't smoke it cause I sprayed with Cs but im just curious to see how much I could have gotten off the plant if i had not sprayed her.
the cola weighed 6.7 wet I'll post some pics of it when I get home...

I left the smaller nugs/pollen pods to ripen some more before I harvest them cause I would like to save the pollen for future seed runs

Peace
organic joe

Organic joe

couldnt edit and add pics

couldnt edit and add pics

i tried to edit my last post and add pics but it kept putting the pics all throughout the text how do i get it to stop doing that?

anyways here is the cola from the cs sprayed hermi

im not going to smoke it i just want to see what weight i could have gotten if i didnt spray it...

nagendra

elow !

i'm hangin in here to see the results. gonna try the same deal when current run finishes, and then i'ma go full 100% auto :)
nice LSTing btw.

Looks great I'm also doing this but your a few.weeks ahead of meim making a purple line pyramid auto purple and auto ak being sprayed at this time I've been spraying for just over a week once a day so far but no signs of any pollen sacks yet ! The girl you will be pollenating looks great an a great thread will stop by to check on your progressb

Organic joe

Looks great I'm also doing this but your a few.weeks ahead of meim making a purple line pyramid auto purple and auto ak being sprayed at this time I've been spraying for just over a week once a day so far but no signs of any pollen sacks yet ! The girl you will be pollenating looks great an a great thread will stop by to check on your progressb

Thanks for stopping by... Are your girls flowering if so then your on the right track just start spraying them two or three times a day if you can
I already pollinated my girl now im waiting to see the seeds... I was going to do an update today but I didn't get home till late and lights were already off so hopefully I can get home in time to do it tomorrow
The little buds are getting frosty already I can't wait to harvest so I can try it out...
Put a link to your grow log in here and ill check on it and keep up with you maybe I can learn something new

I think im going to get some ak next... Altho I did just order white Siberian
Well good luck with your seed run my friend
Peace oj

Organic joe

update

update

picture.php

picture.php

here is the dried and cured bud frome the hermi run i dried it for a week and cured it for a week it weighed 6.7 wet not trimmed and after dried it weighed 1.3 trimmed
after the cure it had a sweet smell to it i cant quite put my finger on the exact scent tho this bud is now been trashed i cant wait for my current run to finish so i can try out the smoke

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

here is the plant i pollinated a week ago so hopefully ill start seeing seeds soon this is the second week of flower
she is more of a nute hog than her previous sister its been getting a little to hot in her cab with the outside temps in the 80s and no ac in the house isnt helping me out much

i have her on 20 hrs on 4 hrs off but im thinking about taking her outside and turning the lights off untill she finishes any advice whether i should or not... pros/cons?

she is already packing on the frost pretty good
any questions or advice is always welcome
thanks and peace
oj