What's new

Auto Fem Seed Crop experiment

Snoopster

Veteran
crappy cell phone pics

Not much going on. The shemale is looking pretty haggard but still putting off pollen. Buds are starting to form and there are obvious seeds forming. We plan on removing the male around July 1.

nm01ew.jpg

1zdsll.jpg

Snoopster

Veteran
I just got back from vacation. I haven't been able to get over there but apparently there are hundreds of seeds, some popping out of the buds.

My friend stopped by and left me with a sample of each. I hope to get over there and get some pictures tomorrow.

I can't see these seeds being duds, they are fat and look great. I am ready to call this a success and put my full endorsement behind Tiresias Mist.

ds4t5.jpg

I just bought two regular clones and plan to use one bottle of Tiresias Mist to turn them. The pollen will be collected and branches on some outdoor plants selectively pollinated. The clones will be kept inside and vegged for a bit then sprayed and onto 12/12. If i make a thread about it I'll put a link here.

The clones to be turned male are Blueberry and Island Sweet Skunk.
There are over 10 outdoor varieties I plan on selectively pollinating including
durban, banana kush, blue dream x banana kush, bubba kush, strawberry cough, granddaddy purple, mars kush, some skunk crosses...

Snoopster

Veteran
The shemale has been plucked a bit. There are some small buds that have seeds. I moved it back to my house so as not to pollinate any regular outdoor plants.

2v30zus.jpg

2rdcguo.jpg

They are over ripe but the seeds are getting bigger.

2u88dvp.jpg

It has been incredibly hot, we had to pick a regular plant early. The autos had no trouble. We added co2 to help with the heat and they were fine.

I have been completely won over by autos. I will still mainly grow regular plants, but now that I have hundreds of feminized Lowryder2 crosses, they will find a place in the rotation.

I really like the Lowryder2. It reminds me of pot that cost $5 more a 1/4 when was in high school. It is a bit speedy and clear, but doesn't make me have to take a nap. It is great for running errands.

JuC

man that's so cool! :cool:
did i understand right... you had lowryder2 fem. and made one of them produce male flowers to pollinate the others?
hope so much your fem's works well, would make autoflower way more interesting for me! hope you report how they grow :)
i think about ordering some pandorra (paradise) to make the same. also autoflower, but they grow a lot bigger than lowryder..
wanted them for this years outdoor but then i thought they are too expensive when you can't produce seeds like with regular autos...
but if this works well to make feminized seeds out of feminized plants...i'll definately give them a try!
hundreds of auto-fem's....would be really cool to make some public places a little bit greener :D
...and of course some hidden places... ;)

so i'd really appreciate if you report how your fem autos grow.
would be really nice if i could make some pandorra fem in winter for next year outdoor, only heard good things from this strain, except the price... :)

Snoopster

Veteran
I'm not even going to try to sprout the seeds until they are dry. My friend may try some soon.

All the seeds used for the seed crop were Fem.
I read a bunch of stuff on the "Yay, my first colloidal silver..." thread that said I would have problems. I had none. The Tiresias Mist worked perfectly, there was no need to manually open the male flowers. (That seems to be a result of lower ppm colloidal silver from some home made set ups.)

I do not know how further breeding would go with only fem stock, but I don't care. I may cross some of my crosses this Fall when we do another seed batch, we will see. The shemale will be a Super Lemon Haze next time.

I may not try any of the new seeds until the Fall. Right now I am concerned with turning two regular clones into shemales for some selective pollination on my friend's outdoor plants.

I will post results of the new seeds when I can.

Snoopster

Veteran
I should clarify:

I do not know what effect fem seeds would have on generations down the line. MY OPINION is that it would be fine, especially if some Y chromosomes were reintroduced later. I have no idea as I have not bred fem beyond one generation. (All I am out for is a bunch of seeds, breeding beyond my current generation will happen, but it is not a focus for me. I am not out to create a new variety, just to get a ton of fem seeds.)

I am, skeptical of many people on this site that are quick to offer advice about things they have not attempted or have little or no experience with.

I prefer advice from those that have actually tried.

Snoopster

Veteran
I just got a call from my buddy. He chopped two of the seed plants. He said we have hundreds of fat seeds from each plant.

He planted 40 seeds, about 8 or 9 from each plant and every single one sprouted.

I did not think so many would germinate without drying out first.

I will have smoke reports sometime in mid September.

-~Wind Walker~-

Pee pee man (OP),

So, do you feel you used too much, enough or not enough of the spray? Hindsight being 20/20 what would you have done differently?

Also, I take it if you sprayed a male plant then the seeds produced would be all male?

You sprayed feminized plants with this foo foo juice, correct? I have read that if feminized plants are sprayed with CS they can hermie down the road. If I read correctly above you haven't run into that issue as of yet, granted your project has just started.

Thanks for posting and the pics

-~WW~-

Last edited:

Snoopster

Veteran
I definitely used too much of the spray. What I should have done is just spray a couple branches to allow the plant to self pollinate. That is my only regret. I will have a few hundred Lowryder2 x Lowryder2 fem seeds. One pollinated branch should produce enough pollen for anyone's needs. One bottle of spray could work for about 7 different plants, if you are only spraying one branch.

I have read that if feminized plants are sprayed with CS they can hermie down the road. If I read correctly above you haven't run into that issue as of yet, granted your project has just started.

That is what people who have no idea what they are talking about say.
I'll take advice from those that have actually done a fem seed crop.

(This is coming from a layman, biologists feel free to correct me)

The term "hermaphrodite" is thrown around here and most people do not understand what it actually means. Most non-Dioecious plants are hermaphrodites. A hermaphrodite exhibits the characteristics of both the male and female plant.

Cannabis is a dioecious plant. Genetics make a hermaphrodite. When people say that a plant "hermed" on them, they are usually not correct. A male plant has XY chromosomes. A female plant has XX chromosomes.

If a female looking plant starts to show male flowers, that is usually the result of stress, not genetics. The pollen produced will not have a "y" chromosome needed to make a male plant. It could carry the genetic tendency to exhibit hermaphroditism. That tendency is not created by crossing "XX" pollen with a "XX" female plant.

There are some varieties that will exhibit hermaphrodites. Again, stress is not really why plants are hermaphrodites.

The Tiresias Mist, which is just strong colloidal silver, stresses the plant causing it to put off male flowers. We are taking advantage of a survival mechanism built into cannabis sativa. The plant is still female. It only has the genetic make up of a female plant XX.

What we are doing is basically cloning the plant with seeds.

Mixing two different plants may add the tendency to produce a hermaphrodite if that tendency exists in one or both of the plants.

That is where I am into new territory. I am a bit unsure how the mixes will turn out. I expect them to be exhibit a lot of different phenos. I don't know, maybe all the seeds will produce all similar plants. So far 40 out of 40 seeds have germinated. I honestly doubt hermaphrodites will be a problem.

Noobs stress plants. Stressed plants put out male flowers. Noobs think that the plant is a hermaphrodite. It is probably a stressed female that has no Y chromosome. Hermaphrodites have both X and Y chromosomes.

If my plants only have X chromosomes, how can they be hermaphrodites?

I have two female clones in my veg room right now, a Blueberry and a Island Sweet Skunk. I'll be spraying them soon and switching them to 12/12.

/sweet blog

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
informative thread, im fixn to use the tiresias mist also to create feminized seeds of my temple pheno of DJ shorts flo.....
thanks snoopster & slim pickens for turning me onto this thread