What's new

Aspirin Seems To Have "Cured" My Sickly/Dying Plants

RetroGrow

Veteran
For the last year, I have been battling some sort of pathogen that has been ruining my plants. Could be pythium....not sure, but this is my best guess, since I haven't been able to get rid of it. My last harvest, 4 runs ago, produced only 25% of normal yield. My next two attempts were scrapped altogether, since growth was slowed to a crawl, and plants had severe yellowing, droop, spots on the leaves, etc. Hundreds of dollars of seeds gone to waste. So, I scrapped all my mother plants, as all cuts produced clones that started out well, but after 2 weeks, would start to show problems. I threw out everything: all plants, media, and anything reusable. I cleaned like never before. Sterilized all surfaces with physan 20. Vacuumed like crazy, installed hepa filters to clean the air. I thought I was good to go, so started another round of seeds after waiting a month. Well, these started out well, but after 2 weeks, started to show the symptoms again. No growth, yellowing leaves, spots on leaves. I was at wits end as I prepared to scrap another grow. I was speaking to a girlfriend on the phone, and told her I had some sick plants. She blurted out, "use aspirin".
So I thought, why not, nothing to lose.
Well, I put one aspirin in each gallon of water, and drenched the plants. Within 2 days, I saw a dramatic turn around. Plants were starting to "look up" and produce new growth. I was flabbergasted by the improvement, so decided to give them another round. Mixed the aspirin in with nutrient solution, and hit the plants again. It is now one week later, and the plants couldn't look better. Tremendous growth spurt, lush new growth, and the plants look happy, with leaves all pointing up and a nice green color. Plants may still have the infection, but the aspirin has stimulated the plants immune system to overcome the pathogen.
I have never seen plants make a comeback as dramatic as this. The effects of the aspirin are truly amazing. Don't know if cuts from these plants will still show the same problems. My guess is they will. But the effects of the aspirin is so powerful, I believe it can overcome almost anything.
I know aspirin like compounds are used in products like "Voodoo Juice", however these are very expensive compared to a bottle of regular aspirin.
I will be using aspirin from now on as a regular part of my regiment.
If you have sickly plants, try aspirin. It works like a "miracle".
I am truly shocked by the effectiveness, and the growth of the plants seems to be stimulated to a great extent.
A side by side will be required to quantify the improvement, but one week ago, I had dying plants that were about to be scrapped, and now I have lush growth.
I am putting one aspirin tablet per gallon of nutrient solution from now on.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
thanks for posting the anecdote. There are conflicting reports about asprins effectiveness (and 1tablet/Gal seems like a real high application rate What milligram aspirin?).

Aspirin is Acetylsalicylic acid which contains less than 0.1% salicylic acid (which is a phytohormone).

If you google aspirin foliar you get a bunch of anecdotes, and then people telling them the science doesnt support it (followed by the hippy who says 'Bayer can't make money off of it, Of course there is no science').

Neo 420

Veteran
RetroGrow:

I have been researching using aspirin with MJ for some time now. The dose of 1 pill per gallon is the highest I ever saw. Please let me know what type of aspirin you are using? Are they coated? Please provide as much product information as possible.

Thanks........

Che

Veteran
I've heard of using Aspirin at 1 tablet per gallon for cut flowers, supposedly they keep fresh longer. Thanks for posting up your findings, I'll remember this trick :)

payes

i have heard aspirin is good for **** but only if you paint it blue and thinking it must be working twice a hour. sorry for ot

KarmasWheele

Veteran
I've heard of using Aspirin at 1 tablet per gallon for cut flowers, supposedly they keep fresh longer. Thanks for posting up your findings, I'll remember this trick :)

I have heard this as well......but never for sick plants

Neo 420

Veteran
Aspirin jump starts the immune system into thinking its being attacked so the plant "toughens up" if you will. Well not aspirin but one of the ingredients in aspirin.

F

feral

try willow water as well. same stuff only natural. (native americans used to chew the bark to relieve tooth and headaches) It's great at helping plants with the SAR aspect.

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
I recall reading something about using it before.I guess I mjust didnt read up on it enough.So much to read.

Willow water is one that I will be using as soon as I find a willow tree.I have read that it is the best for cloning.

Thanks for the info

F

feral

I usually hit the seedlings with willow water at the 2nd watering to help with root growth although I don't know if that does anything, but I do know that whenever I do use willow water my plants look 10 times better in a day or so regardless of growth stage. I did have a bug problem at my outdoor site (which looks to be minimal now) and they tore my babies up. I might just hit them with willow water to see if that will put some extra pep into their step and help them recuperate quicker from being attacked.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Sorry. Didn't check the thread for awhile.
The aspirin I used is regular, generic, 325 milligram of aspirin. Uncoated. The dosage was just a guess, but the plants absolutely love it. I have repeated the procedure 3 times now with nothing but good effects. I had done some reading on this, and the recommendation was for foliar spray, however, I decided to drench them with the solution.
The growth rate of the plants increased dramatically. Some of that may be due to the fact that they were stunted, and making up for lost time. But I have never seen plants respond in such dramatic fashion from anything. The aspirin obviously stimulates the plants own immune system, and this makes a huge difference if you have sick plants. I will continue to monitor these and report on the progress. I wish I had some "before" pictures. You would not believe the difference.

if you guys say that .1% of aspirin is lone salicylic acid...and thats the ingredient that produces results, then get your shit together....stop buying/using aspiring.....and start using wart remover....pure salicylic acid......

Neo 420

Veteran
if you guys say that .1% of aspirin is lone salicylic acid...and thats the ingredient that produces results, then get your shit together....stop buying/using aspiring.....and start using wart remover....pure salicylic acid......

You are correct on wart remover having higher concentrations of salicylic acid (Definitely not pure) but what about the other ingredients?

Active Ingredients
Salicylic Acid 17% W/W

Inactive Ingredients
Alcohol 21.2% , Camphor , Castor Oil , Collodion , Ether 63.6% , Ethylcellulose , Hypophosphorous Acid , Menthol , Polysorbate 80

I'd rather stick with the aspirin.........