What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

asperger's syndrome

blimblom

hiker , of course I dont mind and Im happy that you find them helpful.

and please have in mind, that every person is different , it has its own limitations, and its own needs.

I chose to study social sciences in the university as a way of self-"medication". Understanding in an orderely manner how society and how people act, helped me understand them better in order for me to become more social. I categorized social constructions the way I was making stamp collections, or categories of nude photos from the internet. that was funny and in the same moment helped me understand more complex emotions. The most difficult part I think, was the one I had to accept that people sometimes do the opposite thing of what they are feeling. Like the boy who pulls the hair of the girl he likes. Or like a person being aggressive because he feels unsecure.
Because being truthfull and sincere was a quality everybody publicly acknowledge as good, an aspie's urge to be sincere isnt constraint. And that is a problem, because public declarations are not necessarily sincere by themselves :)
So understanding for example that people can lie for a big variety of reasons, came to my mind as a big shock.
But all in all, that was a matter of time. I already had the tools and the will to do that. So in reality the most difficult part were the first steps, like that you have to think how much information you have to tell to others before they start to get bored :) Or knowing that shutting your mouth up sometimes, can be way more successful in your quest to be coooool.

On the other hand I know another aspie who never really cared about socializing. He is an electrical engineer and utterly content with having most of his social contacts with his wife and kids. For him, socializing was more frustrating than the gain he would have and chose to discard it, except for the bare social necessities or for subjects he finds fascinating.

Being a kid is a very frustrating world. Being a kid with a different way of understanding the world, is even more frustrating. Kids want to emulate and to copy what the others do, thats the way the human race survives. So the urge to be one of the people is great. And before you want to be something different, you want to be the same.
For aspies, this process is much more difficult and for some of them is even impossible.

Well my parents never thought I "had" something. Ok they understood that their kid was a bit of a loner (my mother constantly tried to help me socialize to my great embarrassment and most of the times I was unsucessfull, lol), that he liked computers, speaking compulsively about all kinds of things he found fascinating, and was talking to himself all the time, but thats all. So that was bad in some parts (as I described I envy the aspiekid clients of my girlfriend), but on the other hand I didnt have the pressure some other parents put on their aspie-children treating them as some kind of savage-savant.
Like you know, you maybe a loner or you may like rocking back and forth but you are definitely going to be the next turing or the next tesla or I dont know who because you know 1000factoids about trains or airplanes.

Well, I had this girlfriend that her nephew was an aspie (like 8years old) and when she learned that I was too, she started telling me very excited how bright he is (her nephew) and how he was going to a behavioral psychologist that was helping him (from what I heard she was torturing him), and how he would be a great scientist. Well truthfully, I wouldnt want to be in his shoes. I mean think of this chap. All the pressure he has to excel, above all the other handicaps he may have from his aspieness. I really hope than when hell turn 14 he will tell everyone to go to hell.

hiker

Thankyou Blimblom, my son is 14, again, any personal insight is appriciated and helpful. I just want my son to be happy, I don't care what he does as long as it is right for him.

M

mugenbao

Thanks everyone, for this thread. I am finding it to be a pretty interesting read, and I do think it's helping me to understand my son a little better.

alpo

I went to a doctor my mom found through our insurance company that said he knew about aspergers syndrome. all he did was ask a bunch(or few) of weird questions and then called my mom back in the room and changed the wording of my answers around and said i didnt have aspergers because i can hold conversations with my parents fine. but what he asked me was if i get along with my parents and i said yes. I only talk to my dad maybe once a week for 5 minutes at most cause he works and my mom every three months when she takes me to the doctor(i dont live with her). the other questions he asked were if i was ever in a gang, the first time i drank alcohol, the most alcohol i drank in a day, if i ever done drugs(asked me twice), the mayor of my city, the date, if i have friends, if i ever had a girl friend, and if i work. that was all he did. so i was wondering if this is how they test for aspergers? or maybe he can tell just with those questions and looking at me. thanks for any advice

MMJcali

It's tough to say, man. My siblings and I scored off the charts on our IQ tests as kids and we were always very introverted, along with having obsessions (thankfully mine is building and creating). I've learned to at least fake natural responses well enough that nobody can even tell I'm a bit off (until I get drunk haha). I have had two psychologists who, when asked, avoided the question altogether. In the end I just had to tell myself - who the eff cares? Just be you and have fun doing it.

We're all different behind our masks. If it's not aspergers, then it's something else that some guy hasn't generalized and named yet. If smoking makes you feel content with your life then keep on keepin' on. Just remember to smile at people and you'll be alright.

good luck.

Newd

I went to a doctor my mom found through our insurance company that said he knew about aspergers syndrome. all he did was ask a bunch(or few) of weird questions and then called my mom back in the room and changed the wording of my answers around and said i didnt have aspergers because i can hold conversations with my parents fine. but what he asked me was if i get along with my parents and i said yes. I only talk to my dad maybe once a week for 5 minutes at most cause he works and my mom every three months when she takes me to the doctor(i dont live with her). the other questions he asked were if i was ever in a gang, the first time i drank alcohol, the most alcohol i drank in a day, if i ever done drugs(asked me twice), the mayor of my city, the date, if i have friends, if i ever had a girl friend, and if i work. that was all he did. so i was wondering if this is how they test for aspergers? or maybe he can tell just with those questions and looking at me. thanks for any advice

Your doctor is a jackass.

Asperger's syndrome is a dominantly social disorder with a fixation on data, facts and repetition.

There are many tests you can take online that will point a parent or an individual in the right direction in terms of any Pervasive Development Disorder (PDD). PDD is different from Asperger's, but still part of the autistic spectrum.

The reason people with Asperger's score so high on IQ tests is because they constantly gather and memorize data that is interesting to them. They see the world in black and white and despise gray areas.

Logical thinkers.

Typically, people with Asperger's syndrome are not very good with artistic tasks. There is too much freedom with art, it's not structured like we would prefer. We prefer facts and definitive information. Straight to the point.

Unfortunately, alcohol tends to relax social situations for us. There is an illusion of "Wow, I can socialize just fine", but when the alcohol wears off, we are right back where we started.

We hate change!

We prefer the same schedule everyday with no deviation. Sometimes, just the thought of having an appointment and having to deviate from a schedule (work or school) will stress us right up until the time we go and it's over.

The good news for parents is that it gets better with age.

In terms of cannabis, I can only speak for myself. I absolutely love any cannabis that does not induce anxiety. I prefer 50/50 or a sativa that is crisp and clear. I don't want to be glued to the sofa. If my heart starts beating too fast, paranoia, big time.

My son diagnosed at age 5.

Myself at 35.

Newd

Newd

Blimblom,

Something else I noticed is that Aspies have been members here for a long time with very few posts : )

(Except Tom Hill, but everyone is dogging him for info, haha)

Newd

L

longearedfriend

Any other aspies here or anyone have stories to share about people they know who have AS

Slartibartfast

The Lurker Speaks! You are not alone!

The Lurker Speaks! You are not alone!

Blimblom,

Something else I noticed is that Aspies have been members here for a long time with very few posts : )

(Except Tom Hill, but everyone is dogging him for info, haha)

Newd

blimblom said:
If I have to identify one thing about being an aspie, is not all the "traits" that make you different, it is the state of total anguish I had in all my social contacts. How much I wanted them and how much I failed in them.

Huge lurker here, I have been around with one account or another before OG went down, as IC was where all the folks I respected moved to. Its nice to know that I am not alone in my social confusion here. :)

I haven't been diagnosed as having asperger's, but I am not too far off. I have been diagnosed as having generalized anxiety disorder w/ panic attacks, along with bipolar depression.

I have always been socially awkward, nervous, neurotic, and unsure of myself. I have avoided social situations like the plague and because of this I now spend much of my time trying to save money to move to a MMJ state. My anxiety is so bad that I fear leaving my house, answering the phone, etc etc.

I had not touched any drug in my entire life, but when I was 19 I decided to try some Romulan with a couple really close friends. It was the FIRST anxiety-free moment of my entire life. I instantly understood why many people smoked cannabis regularly, and started doing massive amounts of research into the medical potential for anxiety disorders.

The only strain or cut yet that 'did the trick' for my issues was the ONE time I tried the Arcata Trainwreck cut. That stuff was SO clear, up, and happy.

<--- Wants to move where he can treat his anxiety with Cannabis legally.. At least right now I am starting up a new round of potential medication. 8 Miles High, Kalichakra, Jack Herer x White Rhino F1, and MOD Menage A Trois.

gingerale

Veteran
I don't have asperger's, but I'm mildly autistic and have many symptoms similar to asperger's. The "disorder" which most closely characterized my condition is called Central Auditory Processing Disorder. You can google it for more info if interested. Basically, speech/verbal language processing is not something my brain is very adept at. My brain has difficult converting thoughts to/from spoken words. I can write like a boss, and do anything else well, but speaking is relatively clumsy and difficult for me. I tend to talk to myself a lot as "practice" for certain situations I imagine myself getting in.

I also do all the typical autistic stuff like take people's statements literally when there is actually a hidden meaning that I miss, and they look at me funny when I reply as I do. Also, when I was a kid I had extreme difficulty with certain things, like hearing the words to songs, speaking over phone and (especially) over walkie talkies. I could hear that words were being spoken, but I couldn't easily make out what they were. Often people would be irritated and pissed off at me because I would say "what?" so often. "You heard me." "Uh no I didn't, which I why I asked you to repeat yourself." Loud and irritating noises irritate and bother me more than the typical person and make it difficult to think. I am in my late 20s now and most of these problems have gone away or greatly reduced since I got older and my mind developed more, but they will likely never go away completely.

As far as cannabis is concerned, yes it helps me in the same way that pretty much anyone is helped by smoking it, but for socialization purposes, many strains/highs can make me into a complete retard in social situations. I tend to notice patterns that other people don't notice and even more so when I'm high (due to the creativity boost), so I become more self conscious when I start noticing social patterns I didn't see before, and self consciousness does not help with socialization. People as a whole do not understand autism or what it's like to be autistic, and they tend to just think we're weird. I love my sativas, but a good indica is likely to help me more in social situations.

Hope this helps anyone! Don't be fooled into thinking autism is a "disorder" that must be "cured"...this is typical thinking of "neurotypicals" and it's FLAT OUT WRONG. The brain is a whole is about pattern matching, and though my verbal pattern matching ability is lacking, my brain more than makes up for it in other ways. It's my autism that has made me the (frankly) brilliantly gifted mofo that I am. And no, just because we're autistic doesn't mean we're only logical thinkers...I think both logically and creatively. I can paint or draw, sing, play music, or create beautiful things just as easily as I can build an engine or a rocket. If you know nothing about autism, know this: what science and medicine "knows" about autism is mostly wrong and is at best a rough approximation of the facts.

I am betting there are quite a few aspies like me that are obsessed with the topic of these forums and care little for anything else in their life. Especially since plants are way easier to get along with than people. I love my cats too, I'll ball like a little girl when they pass but not for humans.

MrsClaudeHopper

Wow

Interesting thread. I find it fascinating to hear what it is like in your/the Aspe head.

I have a developmentally delayed 5 year old (no she doesn't take any form of cannabis) Asperger's, autism, and other diagnosis have been thrown about.

A Grand Day to All
MizzH

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Greetings & Love everyone, and Happy New Year 2013 !

Never thought before about doing search on aspies here, and here this thread ! though I would revive it and share a few of my views, since I have Asperger's syndrome.

Cannabis has been a great help for me. I was about 13-14 when the syndrome started to work me in the most painfull way. At that time I had moved from one school, all boys, to another with boys and girls together.

The change itself, with thenecessity to acquire new habits, make up new contacts & relations was already a real pain, but the girl factor made it hellish at some times, most of the times. Totally unable to understand them, their actions, their intentions, I was like retard. The whole thing made me feel totally disconnected from the same-age people around me, living in different worlds, with different priorities & realities. Awfull, really.

I was 15 when came a life-changing opportunity; "wanna smoke some hash ?" some friend asked me. It was April I think, and since September before I had been reading anything I could put my hands on about cannabis and drugs. I was damn fascinated by the experimentation of altered states of consciousness and even before my first puff of hash I had firmly decided that I would someday try LSD & shrooms, so when my buddies invited me for a smoke I jumped at the opportunity. Life-changing, life-saving !

Suddenly, everything turned different. At last I was able to take a few steps back and analyse my situation in its wholeness, and most of all, I could make the "heaviness" of my condition easier to handle, to observe, to manipulate. I found out I could have some control and not being an amorphous victim of my own mind.
I can see me, aged 16 sitting at my desk, smoking and looking at a piece of hash, like hamlet at that skull, and wondering, fascinated by this paste which, when absorbed, would change ones perceptions & thinking and what not. My first steps at psychonautism...

Cannabis lifted a giganormous weight from my mind, and allowed me to socialize way better than before. Still brain dead with the girls, but thanks to the hashish I was able to make friends (some simple dope-friends, other friends for life) and also build up a personnality, thanks to my passion for hash & cannabis which actually made the people come to me with their questions (during my last years at school I was called Docteur Teushi -Dr Hashish).
Still hell with girls, but more bearable thanks to cannabis on which I decided to focus, which eventually helped me obtain my teen-age dream job at the OGD (Geopolitical Drug Watch).

All in all, I've been through nearly 25 years of more or less chronic depression & anxiety (a bit of pi-pol and OCTs too), which have been made considerably more bearable thanks to cannabis. Most of it have been moroccan hash, not alway possible to choose from a menu..., until I started to grow my own. Took me a while to get the volumes I need, but since summer 2011, I have had at my disposal a permanent stock of weed (indica, sativa, indica/sativa) with enough variety to choose from depending on my mood. And since summer 2011 I've been feeling good, with no anxiety or depressive episode that I couldn't squash in a snap. I have to admit it feels truly amazing. to have control on your peculiarity...
Actually, that summer 2011 marked the end of a super-heavy depressive episode which started in 2008, due to an impossibility to score any hash of acceptable quality. This sent me tumbling down very badly, and it only underscore a little more how necessary cannabis is to keep a mental balance.

This plant, and few others, helped me turn what I considered as a curse when young, into, if not a blessing, at least a gift, for the way I see, the way I feel, the way I understand the world I live in. What I have reached today is well worth all the pain and wouldn't change it for a "normal" life.

Irie !

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Congrats MrIko! Aspie here as well... chasing the same dream you're living. :)

Until age 36 I thought life just sucked.... really, really, REALLY bad. I mean... how much fun is it to wake up each day and have the first word out of your mouth be an expletive regarding the fact that you're still breathing?

Cannabis made it bearable... barely.

Since I found out I'm an Aspie and started getting a handle on how my brain operates... life has been phenomenal. The more I learn about myself and cannabis and how each strain effects me... the better off I am.

For those contemplating using cannabis with their kids... I highly recommend that you get a doctor's support and go for it. Strain and specific phenos of each strain will make a big difference and it will take time to find what's 'right' for them.

I recommend canna-caps made with holy anointing oil and powdered oatmeal. Make them potent enough so that you can tell they've ingested one... then add oatmeal to make it weaker. You want them to take one 3 times a day... but not get any 'stoned' or 'high' from it. In about 30 days you'll see DRAMATIC differences in their ability to focus, remember, use logic and control mood.

You may have to up the dosage just a bit after the first batch of pills. Make them strong enough to show effect again and then weaken it with additional oat flour again.

Non-verbal autistics suffer from extreme anxiety through not being able to communicate or understand their feelings and the situations happening around them. Cannabis removes a lot of that... even without enough to make them high or stoned. Absolutely amazing.

FYI: Careful who you approach about this subject. I sent links to videos of people treating their non-verbal autistic kids to my sister... a mother of 4 non-verbal autistic kids. Hadn't spoken to her in years and she accused me of treating my son and turned me in to CPS. Yep... my own family. *shrug* Even though the social workers were completely satisfied that I wasn't (even forced them to drug test the kid) and didn't have any problems with us personally... the system makes sure you're guilty until proven guilty...

Make sure you have a doctor's permission to do this first. Get it in writing so your attorney can read it. Be kind to your kids but CYOA!

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I am not a doctor nor am I a medical professional. That is my disclaimer.

That being said, I believe I have aspergers. I've never been diagnosed, because I now know as an adult that my mother was too scared to find out I had any kind of alphabet syndromes. But the truth is, I fit the mold, so I tend to believe I have it, and it just hasn't been diagnosed. I had a lot of struggle in my young life trying to fit in, everywhere, and I was never able to calm down or focus my thoughts on things.

I then discovered that smoking pot to get high, purely for recreational intent, just trying to escape from the world, actually caused me to be able to focus. I could follow a single thread of thought without getting overwhelmed. I was able to write theses in my college classes and get great grades. I was able to socialize with a vast variety of different people. In short, I suddenly found myself not experiencing all the problems I had dealt with my entire life.

I now believe that cannabis is the best medicine in the world for this type of condition, and also similar ones like ADHD, Tourette's, and probably even autism. The reason I say this is, I don't believe these "conditions" are actually sicknesses or problems for the one who is "afflicted." I actually think these conditions are more a problem for everyone else, who simply don't know how to interact with people whose minds work the way, or the speeds, that our minds do. So, what happens with cannabis is it causes us to slow down and focus enough to appear "normal" to all the "normals" and hence allows us to communicate with one another more effectively.

I am not making an official recommendation because I am not qualified to do so. But I personally believe that cannabis has saved my life, and allowed me to not have to live as a hermit in a cave on the top of a himalayan mountain. I can finally focus and live my life the way that people are "supposed to" in our civilized society.

I hope at least a small part of that makes sense. I unfortunately ran out of my stash yesterday and I am feeling a little scattered at the moment.

S

SeaMaiden

I find it incredibly sad that your mother took no action because she was afraid to find out whether or not you had any issues.

Not Asperger's here, but my oldest son was Dx'd at age 12 as a high-functioning autistic. I knew he was autistic the moment I met him (C-section birth, I took a general, didn't see him til I woke up). I don't know why, but I KNEW.

Hush, as the mother of a Touretter (yes, folks, you've read that right--I have two special needs sons, one high-functioning autistic, the other a Touretter) I find your mention of these conditions together rather fascinating. Both boys began their school careers with Dx's of ADD/ADHD. With the Touretter, I'm fairly certain we have a genetic condition going on because I grew up with a bunch of twitchy people, so when I saw his father ticcing, I thought it was as normal as the other family members who tic.

The other important thing to remember is that pretty much all of these conditions occur with co-morbidities.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Hello SeaMaiden. :)

In regards to my mom's decision when I was a kid, I understand why people would find that sad. But the truth is, my mom is a good person, and was always a great mom, she is just a bit of a young soul, and sometimes her fears got in the way. But she gave me and my siblings nothing but unconditional love, attention, and support. She always had the best of intentions and no one is perfect.

But that being said, I have to tell you, I am SOOOO glad she didn't actually have me diagnosed. I can say that now, as a grown man. I've seen what happens to children when they are prescribed all these psychotropic drugs, and amphetamines, and half the time they are diagnosed incorrectly so they end up taking drugs that won't help them anyway, that sort of thing.

The reason why I have associated Aspergers, Touerettes, ADHD, and autism is because when I became an adult and started looking into what was going on in my head, each one of those conditions had symptoms that matched up to what I had always dealt with! But the further I looked into it all, the more convinced I became that I simply have asp. Regarding Tourettes, it's actually a condition that I find myself understanding, or empathizing with. Like, I just understand it, the tics and so forth, and it seems easy to relate to people who have it, for some reason, so I've always intuited that there is an association there. Until you posted what you posted above, though, I've never actually encountered a real life example of the "closeness" of the 2 conditions... That actually confirms that my intuition on the matter has been correct! I really do believe there is some kind of relativity between all those aforementioned conditions.

I guess that's all for now. My wife just brought me home some more medicine, so is finally time to slow down again. I hate running out! That's why I have begun a project to make my setup perpetual, once and for all. Only 5 more weeks to go til first harvest of perpetuity!

clearcutter

I can remember spotting people I at school in the distance and deciding to take the long way around a building just so I wouldn't have to figure out how to respond to them in a given interaction. My mind would already start worrying about what to do... act distracted and ignore them? to make eye contact or not? smile or not? can I remember their name? what if they remember mine and I can't remember theirs? Do I know them well enough to engage first? what was their name again? all these thoughts and more would just rush through my head (still does somewhat). Even holding eye contact was uncomfortable... I still find myself confused over the proper protocol of eye contact sometimes... I just become acutely aware of it and feel like I'm staring people down when I talk to them (and to them it probably looks like I'm looking all over the place rather than at them).

I have aspergers and that sounds just like me.

I didn't start smoking weed until around the age of 23. I find just a little and not a big bowl full or full joint works best for me. Sour Diesel & Sweet Tooth #3 are my choices for strains.
:abduct:

Sir_Syzurp

Hi everyone, I myself am not autistic or aspe but, I do believe my step son who is now almost 7 is. He was diagnosed as having ADHD at 3 because his mother and I noticed he has many things that just don't jive with modern day "normal" so we took him to get tested but I don't believe the specialist was really much of a specialist because she claimed there is no way to tell if a 3 year old was performing as normal. Here are a few challenges we have faced with him, outbursts of emotion (highs and lows), dead blank staring at objects or people even when in conversation (this was the first sign we ever noticed and it started as young as weeks old) he wouldn't make eye contact with his mother during feedings, changings, play time, he hated being held (would cry uncontrollably until put down), now days he instantly looks at his feet when he is in trouble and goes "deaf", I call it going deaf because once he looks at his feet and not your eyes or face he loses all concentration and goes in to his own world of thoughts. He will say the most random of thoughts despite a conversation going on about a completely different subject or no conversation at all usually when no conversation is going he will make up a delusion (or lie) and say something off the wall like "The butter this morning was good on the waffles" even though we may have had corned beef hash. Also he seems to have a problem with saying EVERYTHING that comes to his mind, delusion or truth, almost like he doesn't have the part in his brain that stops him from saying every thought he thinks. Also he is now copying his biological fathers "tics" as he has Tourettes his father thrusts his neck back, clicks his tongue, and then blinks his eyes repeatedly and now my step son has started doing the same thing. His most recent thing he picked up is now he has to find an expiration date on any food product or he will throw a fit and say its rotten. We are almost at wits end and really want to find a therapist who knows their shit and truely cares about their patients so we can take him, get a true diagnosis so his father will finally listen to us and get him some continuous help as to start to get this boy put on the track to a successful future in society. I have considered baking a common adult dose of his favorite sweets with oil butter or cannabutter and giving him 1/4 doses to see if it helps level him out and ups his socializing (another aspect he is lacking in) again he is almost 7 in public school and has 0 friends, and nobody that likes him or can tolerate him, its really emotionally jerking to see a little boy grow up like this without friendship. We have introduced him to many little boys and girls his age, but the only other person he clicks with is my young 12 yr old second cousin who has severe Aspergers borderline autism. Does anyone know of a good therapist/specialist on the west coast of the US?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I believe the biggest issue I had with 'adults' growing up is how they were always telling me how things worked. A + B = C.... only when I would try it their way I always ended up with F or Q or W or something weird. Still going on today... but better 'cause I work more with what I've found out, rather than on what the people around me are saying.

Good luck on the therapist... definitely continue to seek out ways to safely medicate him with parent's permission.

MOST IMPORTANT...

Last year I quit eating processed foods and artificial foods... even 'natural flavors' and all that. Significant difference in brain chemistry.

Been eating for my blood type off and on for almost 10 years... the last 3 have been getting more and more strict. Cannot even begin to recommend it enough for everyone and everything... not just autism, add etc...

My daughter is 3yrs old now (Cannababy) and has had less than 2 of her handfuls of processed food in her life. The reactions her system has (through non-exposure) is astounding and has spurred her parents to quit eating anything but whole foods prepared ourselves. (whenever possible.... freaking expensive these days!)

The difference between a brain that's not on chemicals and processed foods and off them is amazing... give the kid a chance if you can and bring the subject up with the parents.

Thanks for caring...

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles: