What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

asperger's syndrome

alpo

anyone have asperger's syndrome? one of my doctors thinks i have it but i havent been officially diagnosed with it yet mainly put it off because there is no treatment for it only therapy i think. but i also did some research online and meet all the criteria for it.

so does anyone smoke and have asperger's syndrome or know of someone that does.

Koroz

Asperger's mostly is a social disorder, if smoking pot makes you more open and aware of social situations it will help. If it doesn't, it won't.

I would recommend a sativa to check out and see if it helps you, but honestly my son has a case of severe Asperger's and Cannabis wouldn't help his symptoms because Cannabis made him more socially awkward due to the "high" then the asperger's did.

The only thing helping him is discussing what is going on around him and how to react to those situations. But im not a doctor, and everyone is different.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Do you remember that scene in Men in Black 2 at the post office when K was told what the score was? And all of the sudden alien co-workers were ripping off their fake faces and that smoking/sorting dude with the 12 hands and all that? And all of the sudden K realized he was surrounded by them, thrust into epiphany?

Well, you are surrounded by Auties/Aspies here amigo, welcome home. An Autie/Aspie love their cannabis like a diesel love her oil. Embrace your differences, sport ;) be down with your bad self. -Tom

alpo

Asperger's mostly is a social disorder, if smoking pot makes you more open and aware of social situations it will help. If it doesn't, it won't.

I would recommend a sativa to check out and see if it helps you, but honestly my son has a case of severe Asperger's and Cannabis wouldn't help his symptoms because Cannabis made him more socially awkward due to the "high" then the asperger's did.

The only thing helping him is discussing what is going on around him and how to react to those situations. But im not a doctor, and everyone is different.

how much did he eat or smoke. i found out the same thing if i over indulged and think smaller doses helped me.
i saw videos of the kids on youtube and they just ate a very small amount once a day and another kid was eating a small brownie every couple days. gl

The Bling

Do you remember that scene in Men in Black 2 at the post office when K was told what the score was? And all of the sudden alien co-workers were ripping off their fake faces and that smoking/sorting dude with the 12 hands and all that? And all of the sudden K realized he was surrounded by them, thrust into epiphany?

Well, you are surrounded by Auties/Aspies here amigo, welcome home. An Autie/Aspie love their cannabis like a diesel love her oil. Embrace your differences, sport ;) be down with your bad self. -Tom

Lol is that your way of saying your an aspie Tom?

Dood eye M N ASPE I WZ DIGANSOED AT 5 day also sed i have an IQ of over 170 dat mak I smartr den stevn Ha-King IQ wize at leest.

Ive always wanted to type like that! Well yea I was diagnosed I Love it, the primary diagostic factor that hans asperger observed was indifference, or not giving a fuck, or detachment, He thought that it was a new phase in human evolution, I have a friend who is 77 now and was a resedent in innsbrick with Hans Asperger. He said that he was one of 5 people that attended aspergers last lecture. Asperger believed that Aspies were bothered by everything wrong with our society, and that they were indifferent to meaningless societal standards.

I think the buddah and jesus were aspies! or stories based on aspies Krshna TOO!!!

Oh i forgot my story weed allows me to act like a neurotypical.. to look people in the eyes and do have physical interactions with others It really helps infact it changed my life when i first smoked herb it was the biggest healing i had massive realization and relaxation really helped with the hypersensitivity and tics.

Koroz

how much did he eat or smoke. i found out the same thing if i over indulged and think smaller doses helped me.
i saw videos of the kids on youtube and they just ate a very small amount once a day and another kid was eating a small brownie every couple days. gl

I didn't really think about it that way. Good info, thanks.

Greensub

My fiances son has asperger's or mild autism... I've always thought he could benefit from cannabis, but he's only 12 and we haven't crossed that line yet. Personally I'm a mix of ADD & Brain trauma/damage.

Whenever I meet a fellow stoner who has the stereotypical speech patterns (well if I know them well enough) I ask if they've ever been in an accident or been knocked out, and the answer has always been yes. I had a lot of trouble speaking after a couple of car accident's, I do believe there's a correlation there. (sorry, little bit of a tangent... my ADD)

M

mugenbao

My fiances son has asperger's or mild autism... I've always thought he could benefit from cannabis, but he's only 12 and we haven't crossed that line yet.
My son does as well, and I'm extremely curious whether cannabis would help him, but he's only fifteen so we've got a few more years yet before we'll find out. I'm pretty confident that it will help at least somewhat, since it helps me with some similar issues, so I really am looking forward to the day when we can spark one up and find out.

Greensub

My son does as well, and I'm extremely curious whether cannabis would help him, but he's only fifteen so we've got a few more years yet before we'll find out. I'm pretty confident that it will help at least somewhat, since it helps me with some similar issues, so I really am looking forward to the day when we can spark one up and find out.

I've read a few accounts written by people who have given it to their children as an edible or a tea... One in particular, the mother was having trouble with her 15 year old (who was 6' almost 200lbs.) and had the anger management issues that a lot of autistic children have (and had even hurt her, my fiances son has knocked her down and he's only like 5'1"). She'd tried just about every psychiatric medication they would prescribe and nothing was helping, finally they read somewhere or one of the doctor's recommended trying marijuana... anyway, it really calmed him down without drugging him out and he started doing better in school also... I seem to recall a comparison of 150 or so calls from the school one year to only 5-6 calls the next, and his grades were better.

Let it be said that this is purely anecdotal... as well as adding I have no problem with psychiatric medications (I take a couple myself... they saved my life), I also recall seeing a story about a lecturing professor at USC that recommends to parents who have autistic children (I believe aspberger's has been dropped as a name and is now basically classified in the DSM IV as mild autism just in the last year... well last year, 2010). Anyways... I'm curious about it too. Sometimes he just needs to chill out, relax, and take a look at things from a more contemplative perspective.

alpo

i was looking for the name of Michael Savages book about the medical benefits of marijuana and came across this quote about his view on autism, what do you think

Now, the illness du jour is autism. You know what autism is? I'll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is. What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, "Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, idiot."

M

mugenbao

i was looking for the name of Michael Savages book about the medical benefits of marijuana and came across this quote about his view on autism, what do you think
I think it sounds like typical Michael Savage bullshit, spouting off with strong comments on a topic he's completely ignorant of.

What did you think people would think, if they are looking for help regarding autism/asperger's? That we'd go "Oh, yeah... I never thought about it like that. It's not a valid and recognized medical issue, I just have an attitude problem and need to man up"? Sheesh.

M

mugenbao

I've read a few accounts written by people who have given it to their children as an edible or a tea... One in particular, the mother was having trouble with her 15 year old (who was 6' almost 200lbs.) and had the anger management issues that a lot of autistic children have (and had even hurt her, my fiances son has knocked her down and he's only like 5'1"). She'd tried just about every psychiatric medication they would prescribe and nothing was helping, finally they read somewhere or one of the doctor's recommended trying marijuana... anyway, it really calmed him down without drugging him out and he started doing better in school also... I seem to recall a comparison of 150 or so calls from the school one year to only 5-6 calls the next, and his grades were better.

Let it be said that this is purely anecdotal... as well as adding I have no problem with psychiatric medications (I take a couple myself... they saved my life), I also recall seeing a story about a lecturing professor at USC that recommends to parents who have autistic children (I believe aspberger's has been dropped as a name and is now basically classified in the DSM IV as mild autism just in the last year... well last year, 2010). Anyways... I'm curious about it too. Sometimes he just needs to chill out, relax, and take a look at things from a more contemplative perspective.
I read that story (or one very similar) as well, and I thought it was tremendously interesting. I'm not comfortable trying that myself, however, and am basically going to wait until he's an adult before seeing if he's interested in trying it, and not just for Asperger's, haha. That's only three years away, now :)

Having said that, I'm fairly well convinced it would help, and I'm going to compile as much research as I can for when that day comes. I'd like to see more actual scientific research, but failing that I guess gathering as much anecdotal evidence as possible could be illustrative.

hiker

My son also has Asperger's. I will be watching this thread for any suggestions. Most people don't understand, but it is hard to watch your child live with something like this and to feel so helpless to do anything, it is not like you don't try, things just don't seem to help. To all whose families are affected, all good vibes, prayers and hope goes out to you and here is to having the strength to keep at it when sometimes it seems hopeless. Good luck to you all.:ying: p.s. Micheal Savage should just count his blessings that it is not one of his relatives that is affected. Quite the uninformed and insensitive blanket statement

blimblom

asperger's is a rainbow, and Im not talking about the colors. Im talking about the various degrees one is affected by the syndrome. So its mostly an umberella under which some people are categorized, not something uniform.

Im an aspie, and I was pretty much quite more "autistic" when I was younger. I can now relate with other people much more easily. So this is my 2 cents about my personal experience. It doesnt mean that it can apply to all aspies.

I wasnt using weed when I was young, I pretty much started after 28, when I was already quite easier on social contacts (and contracts). I hate the couchlock feeling, so Im a more sativa fun, which gives me energy and makes me more sociable.

But I now know the codes of how people react and I can use the weed without losing control.

I can understand that when I was 16 or 20, and it was more difficult for me to relate, it was quite a mathematical process, and it would affect my attention of understanding every part of the social contact (and contract). But thats the process I used in order to socialize. Someone smiled at me. Understanding that this is a good sign, is one step. Defining which smile is which is a second step, categorizing what the other means with his smile is a third step. And all these where mentally chalenging steps. Most people can do that in a blink of the eye. For me it was a process.

So being under the influence of my social sativas, would affect my attention. Am I blabling to much about the black death? Is she smiling at me because she is tired? I would probably couldnt tell.

The only context in which I would feel good when I was younger, would be in a place that I was feeling secure and with people I was feeling secure to be with. People that would not judge me for being a "freak".

But as an adult aspie, sativas are the way to go :)

PS Im also a person who eats weed (Im now starting to think to vaporize it as an alternative).

Greensub

I can understand that when I was 16 or 20, and it was more difficult for me to relate, it was quite a mathematical process, and it would affect my attention of understanding every part of the social contact (and contract). But thats the process I used in order to socialize. Someone smiled at me. Understanding that this is a good sign, is one step. Defining which smile is which is a second step, categorizing what the other means with his smile is a third step. And all these where mentally chalenging steps. Most people can do that in a blink of the eye. For me it was a process.

So being under the influence of my social sativas, would affect my attention. Am I blabling to much about the black death? Is she smiling at me because she is tired? I would probably couldnt tell.

This reminds me of before I was diagnosed and treated for Brain Damage/trauma. I can remember spotting people I at school in the distance and deciding to take the long way around a building just so I wouldn't have to figure out how to respond to them in a given interaction. My mind would already start worrying about what to do... act distracted and ignore them? to make eye contact or not? smile or not? can I remember their name? what if they remember mine and I can't remember theirs? Do I know them well enough to engage first? what was their name again? all these thoughts and more would just rush through my head (still does somewhat). Even holding eye contact was uncomfortable... I still find myself confused over the proper protocol of eye contact sometimes... I just become acutely aware of it and feel like I'm staring people down when I talk to them (and to them it probably looks like I'm looking all over the place rather than at them).

blimblom

This reminds me of before I was diagnosed and treated for Brain Damage/trauma. I can remember spotting people I at school in the distance and deciding to take the long way around a building just so I wouldn't have to figure out how to respond to them in a given interaction. My mind would already start worrying about what to do... act distracted and ignore them? to make eye contact or not? smile or not? can I remember their name? what if they remember mine and I can't remember theirs? Do I know them well enough to engage first? what was their name again? all these thoughts and more would just rush through my head (still does somewhat). Even holding eye contact was uncomfortable... I still find myself confused over the proper protocol of eye contact sometimes... I just become acutely aware of it and feel like I'm staring people down when I talk to them (and to them it probably looks like I'm looking all over the place rather than at them).

well yes it was quite a similar feeling. If I have to identify one thing about being an aspie, is not all the "traits" that make you different, it is the state of total anguish I had in all my social contacts. How much I wanted them and how much I failed in them.
So as a kid, a good therapist would have helped me a lot, explaining me all the things I had to discover by my own, calm me in my confusion, and giving me shortcuts to why girls were hating me (explaining for example the brutal honesty isnt exactly polite and you can always be truthfull without being hurtful) lol lol lol.
But back then asperger's wasnt really an option. Either you were autistic, either not, and I certainly wasnt.

so back to the MJ question. We all know weed is not bad for you, so certainly is not bad for aspies. But how one reacts is an altogether different matter. It may take time to understand something new and to control it. And hell it took me more time to acquire wine

PS I may have not tasted weed, but I certainly was drinking alcohol, so I can approximate it. And yes alcohol was way relaxing for my anxiousness, but I certainly acted silly as all people do. But my silliness was a bit different than the others'. So sometimes it wasnt hard to mingle (everyone was drunk enough not to give a damn), but some other times it was as all hell broke loose. Too much information I couldnt handle, so it had the opposite effect, my anxiousness got worse.
So again I stand by my previous conclusion. Feeling safe and not being judged around friends, would be the best setting (as for most people)

Greensub

Oh, I agree with your conclusion (just sharing my own experience)... reading your posts makes me feel more positive about my my fiance's son's future. Thanks for sharing.

alpo

i've been thinking about going to see a doctor that specializes in asperger syndrome. for those of you that have been, is it worth it or are they just going to want me to do a bunch of therapy because ive been to quite a few doctors over the last few years and a year of counseling recently so i try to avoid all doctors if possible these days.

so is there anything special that a doctor will do or any benefits or is it better to not waste my time and just self medicate :joint:

blimblom

aspie is a syndrome where you rarely have to use prescribed drugs, and also doesnt have the same "symptoms" for everyone. So a doctor cant really tell you much about you.
Same goes for weed. The weed wont make you less aspie, but it can probably make you a happier one :)

A good therapist though (and I insist on the good part), can help you with stuff you havent already understand by yourself. I havent been to one because I mostly solved things my own way in my own time. But my girlfriend is a therapist and sometimes I envy those aspie kids that are her patients. If I was 15, I would love to have such a therapist. If I was 8, she would save my teenage life.

So what can you do is ask yourself what it is in your aspieness that you dont like or doesnt make you feel confortable and see if someone can help you on that. Because its not about being "normal" or "neurotypical". I love to swing back and forth in my chair when Im thinking, I love to overanalyze emotions like they were mathematical equations. But I dont like when I hurt someone because I didnt understand something that everybody else would. But you know, its ok because it doesnt happen often and because the people who care about me know my limitations and try to talk things out.

so my 2 cents is first thing about you, the inside of you , and then you can decide if you prefer therapy, or MJ or singing songs in the rain.

hiker

Blimblom, all of your post are helping me understand my son so much more. Please if you don't mind posting about this every now and then, I think that it might help some of us parents understand our childrens emotions a little more. Hope you don't mind me asking this.:thank you: