What's new

Are you ever too old for a career change?

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In my 40's I left a 4,000 sq ft house on an acre in a very snazzy burbs where polo is the local sport, new cars and a successful business in late 2000 after flying back and forth to Vietnam of all places several times. After building a successful business over a decade, just went poof, gone. I moved full time to Saigon after flying back and forth from the east coast 7 times in a 4 or 5 months period. Then Vungtau while traveling the region and I fancied myself a travel writer ( lol ) after escape from America wanted material from me.

It was a financial disaster. I lost everything. Credit from all the way up to the top to below 500 over an 18 month collapse. I was able to return in 2002 to view the damage and it woke me up a little too late but at least awake
snap%20out%20of%20it.gif

Returned at a great point in the market I play within and am now planning a part time working retirement. So, if you don't mind the potential of roller coasters.....go for it
yay2.gif

I can tell you if you do and and make it to the other side you'll never regret it

supermanlives

Veteran
I wish I could change career, I just fancy doing something different. Bored to death. How about a freelance foreign correspondent or a travel writer? Have you ever thought of switching jobs?
too old an smart to try those fields of work to pay the bills,wisdom tells me pick something in more demand that pays better and can be gotten without too much hassle.i went back to school at 30 for smog tek liscense and some automotive certs,took quite a bit horticulture too.i had worked on cars\engines forever but had no certs. got plenty now lol. I was taught from childhood have several skills . it has served me well. mechanic,welder,metal fab,auto,landscaping including irrigation, blah blah blah. good luck in whatever you choose as long as your passionate about it go for it.i have liked almost every job I had till I didn't then I move on lol

Last edited:

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
between 10 and 12$ is a small difference imho

$320/mo. difference. not huge for sure.

I haven't worked this cheap since like 1988.

Since We have been surviving on My Wifes wages for a year this is huge.

I LOVE going to work now.
I am challenged everyday, and learning a skill that will allow Me to all ways have an in demand skill.

When I got My ass fired from My last trucking job, We lost 55-60% of our income.
It will take Me about two years to get back to earning what I did while trucking.
We have learned to live on less, so the little $$$ I am earning ATM is a HUGE help.

The temporary drop in pay is ABSOLOUTLY worth the increase in PEACE that this choice is bringing.

Peace out; 1TT

Epiphyte

Although I'm younger than you, I recently started an unpaid internship that's 25 hrs/wk. I am also a server that pretty much as no "skills" besides serving. I'm really hoping this 9 months of unpaid experience opens up more opportunities in the future. Good luck to you 1TT!

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
It´s never too late my friend, never too late.
I´ve been a postie, driver, salesman, IT tech, Court Security Officer, Chef, Barman, Security Guard, Bouncer, Spectrometer tech, Oven Operator, Line worker, dealer, smuggler, mule, Interpreter/Translator, Printing Machines operator, Printing Plates maker and the list could go on if i pushed my brain cells a little further. Sadly i don´t feel like doing that.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
serious...Executive Chef 25+ yrs... in the trenches.... left it all behind last year to become a full-time DaDDY........love every minute of it

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
serious...Executive Chef 25+ yrs... in the trenches.... left it all behind last year to become a full-time DaDDY........love every minute of it

Now that is a GR8 career change.

Your on duty 24/7, but you probably worked 16Hr days as an Executive Chef.

Peace; 1TT