What's new

Are you ever too old for a career change?

theclearspot

I wish I could change career, I just fancy doing something different. Bored to death. How about a freelance foreign correspondent or a travel writer? Have you ever thought of switching jobs?

blastfrompast

Veteran
switching jobs...too much frigging work...

Between day job and gardening and wife and kiddo...not much time for re-training....

On the downside working 25-30 yrs at a job that you hate can suck...Im up to 14 yrs.

Epiphyte

Theclearspot....You only have this one life. As far as the jobs you mentioned, they seem amazing. The question is do you have the proper background and can you make the proper connections in order to be successful? And worst case scenario, do you have a back up plan?

If you can work through those answers, hopefully the answer is that its never to late to change careers and possibly, life paths. I hope that helps!

blastfrompast

Veteran
Or try and start your own biz doing something you love that you can get paid well for...legally :)

I'd open a food truck if I had it all to do over again...
My Fresh organic veggies, grass fed beef, and my wife's recipe's...with her behind the grill.

Work spring-fall here...garden all winter :)

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Quit my professional job of 20 years to dance with sweet Mary Jane full time.

These are billable posts expect an invoice ;)

5th

Veteran
I'm pondering the same question actually.

I decided on semi retirement six years ago. Some things have come up in the past year that have pretty much drained me financially so it's back to work I go. But where? Whats going to make me happy?

I have no intrest in another 100,000 plus loan to start again at what I used to do...besides the market for that isn't as viable now like it used to be. (Read: made my money and got out while the getting was good)

Not trying to jack your thread ma man, but like mentioned....you only have one life. Do what you have to do to be happy in it. If you have the qualifications/skills to do what you want to do...whats holding you back? Give it both fuckin' barrels.

Walt Jabsco

Only if you are self employed would this be a good idea. It's hard for someone over the age of 50 to get a job these days. Employers don't think they know what is going on with technology and computers. They are sick more have higher rates of absence and use their insurance more often. I am not saying any of these things are true it's just how anyone older is perceived in today's job climate.

purple_man

Veteran
depends on many factors... from my side would be, never to old... it mostly depends on what you are ready to do/sacrifice/trade off with the old job/career, and of course if you have family, it might be much harder or even impossible :/ good luck bro!

blessss

theclearspot

I'm pondering the same question actually.

I decided on semi retirement six years ago. Some things have come up in the past year that have pretty much drained me financially so it's back to work I go. But where? Whats going to make me happy?

I have no intrest in another 100,000 plus loan to start again at what I used to do...besides the market for that isn't as viable now like it used to be. (Read: made my money and got out while the getting was good)

Not trying to jack your thread ma man, but like mentioned....you only have one life. Do what you have to do to be happy in it. If you have the qualifications/skills to do what you want to do...whats holding you back? Give it both fuckin' barrels.

Hey 5th im in kinda the same boat. Made some money in my work a while back but market has changed. Besides id like to try something else....

Sir_Syzurp

I have a philosophy that no matter your age, background, education, religious beliefs, or medical condition (unless vegetative) you can always start your life over and most of the times exactly the way you want to. It all comes down to ambition, having a clear idea of you goal, and game plan how to achieve it, 8/10 times it will come to happen. I have personally seen a bum who had a rapsheet including murder and robbery turn in to a well off successful business owner who's company has survived the crash all because he realized what he wanted out of life (at age 43) and changed his mindset and lifestyle to accommodate his dream. So never let go of your dreams or goals and don't let anyone get you down by pushing you away due to age, education, or background, worst case scenario start your idea up for yourself and hold a second job to pay the bills and see where it takes you.

O

OrganicOzarks

Being self-empoyed is what you need to be doing. I have done many things over the years. Some more profitable than others, but all of them were fun. I have never had a "job" that I didn't like. We moved to another State once already just because we wanted to live somewhere pretty. We are now going to move to another State in the near future. The next move after that is to the Caribbean.

You only have one life. You don't want to regret those things you didn't do.

theclearspot

Cheers guys inspiring stuff! I was kind of a half way house , one foot in a state sector job I loathed and the other self employed. Ive jacked in the state job primarily as I found my so called colleagues to be back stabbing phonies. At least being self employed im out of that place, I already feel so relieved, although I have lost half my income. Im confident I will make that up. I ideally want to find something that inspires me as im bored with my present stuff though. Im looking dudes....

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Gawd I hope not,,I am 47yrs old, and in the middle of just this situation.
After 18 yrs as an over the road truck driver, I only realy enjoyed the first 5 or 6 yrs.
I wish I had left the Biz.at least 10 years ago, at 37.
But I droped outy at 17 Ged at 19, no real skills, so the driving at least paid the bills,
and more through the years.Just comfy enough to stay on the treadmill.

Career change is tough, at any age, but it is not impossible.
It is a matter of how unhappy you are?, what its worth to seek that Peace.
I am at peace with what ever the cost are,,,
My wife on the other hand is not as
motivated to sacrifice.
She does see that The things I am choosing to do,as I figure out what I am going to Be when I grow up, are making Me a n easier Hubby to live with.

I say, if YOU are NOT happy with the path you have found yourself on.
You have to change it.
No matter your age, Life is WAY to Precious to waste 1 minute being Miserable.

Peace; 1TT

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
The statement changing jobs has too many variables to just say yes or no.

If you are an English teacher what are you going to teach another language or wire houses?

Of if you wire houses are you going to start putting carpet in houses?

One man may engineer airplanes and go into engineering cars. Now that is not too far of a stretch.

Changing jobs when you are at the top of one means you start at the bottom of the other. There is a noticeable pay cut doing so.

Sir_Syzurp

Still doesn't mean you can't do it, most people don't want to go back to where they started and are unwilling to change for the pay cut. My parents were a prime example though of just saying fuck it and jumping in head first. My dad used to be a baccarat dealer back in the 60's and 70's making 100k + a year with my mom working as a cocktail waitress as well, decided they no longer wanted to be in that profession, quit out of the blue and started a tile company, he and my mom made 5k the first year but after a few years they grew to be one of the highest praised custom stone and tile fabrication and installation companies in the city in less than 10 years, and it turned out to be a career my dad can't stay away from to this day almost 35 years later because how much he loves it.

D

DU420

If you can do something that makes you happy and still support your family than go for it mate...

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
imo, what actually determines how possible it is, is the networking you may have.

if you know people in the area that you want to move into, and they are willing to hook you up with whatever you need to get started, then it is as easy as eating lunch a few hours after breakfast.

if not, things get really complicated, not impossible, but complicated.

good luck!

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Nope, especially when you work for yourself like I do. Just started another project last month that could net me more than a million dollars over the next 5 years. It's all good. Go for it, OP.

theclearspot

imo, what actually determines how possible it is, is the networking you may have.

if you know people in the area that you want to move into, and they are willing to hook you up with whatever you need to get started, then it is as easy as eating lunch a few hours after breakfast.

if not, things get really complicated, not impossible, but complicated.

good luck!

Yes I think you are right. Unfortunately I dont have a network in the new project/s I want to do. I have a network in my other ide(well no one is going to hand me contracts etc) but I know this work basically same as I was doin but variation). But its not glamorous. So the question is do I do the appealing new stuff (glamorous) bit of a risk ,or carry on doin my old stuff but privately self employed....