What's new

Are you an OathKeeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Here's a group that has been unnecessarily demonized in the media as of late...

So who here has taken an Oath to the Constitution? Who plans to keep that Oath, come hell or high-water?

Oathkeeper_3percent_iraq.jpg

Anyone who has a problem with what this group is advocating, IMO, is an enemy to our country.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
You seem to be looking to pick a fight, I don't know shit about your group, and you told us nothing about them.

idk...groups like that scare me. I might support their talking points, but I doubt that I would be associated with any group like that.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So who here has taken an Oath to the Constitution? Who plans to keep that Oath, come hell or high-water?

You'll probably get demonized a bit right now over this MB. I'm not sure if the screws are tight enough yet. We have yet to learn the Constitution is what was supposed to keep us from getting bamboozled by corporations and governments.

I'd be interested to see the reaction to this 1-2 years out. If you believe the country is polarized now it's just the beginning IMO.

O

ocean99

Well I ain't employed by uncle sam, but if I ever am I'll definetly feel like less of a class traitor swearing in with this lot. Thanks for letting me know about this group, feel better knowing there are at least a few behind the badge who haven't sold their minds as well as their bodies.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
You seem to be looking to pick a fight, I don't know shit about your group, and you told us nothing about them.

I'm sorry if I came off that way. "The OathKeepers" is an organization composed of current as well as former Military and Law Enforcement personnel. (Firefighters are included)

OathKeepers exist to remind others in the ranks of Military and Law Enforcement service about the Oath they have taken to "Protect and defend the Constitution of the United States from all enemies, foreign and domestic."

Many members of the military are tricked into believing that their ultimate loyalty is to the Chain of Command and the Commander-in-Chief. This is untrue.

One very important facet of the Oathkeepers (for you and me) is that they refuse to "obey orders to invade and subjugate any state that asserts its sovereignty."

Though I must admit, I started this thread to see if there is anyone here who is a member (Officially or unofficially), rather than to rally support from those who have not heard of it, hence the absence of a description.

http://oathkeepers.org/oath/

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You'll probably get demonized a bit right now over this MB. I'm not sure if the screws are tight enough yet. We have yet to learn the Constitution is what was supposed to keep us from getting bamboozled by corporations and governments.

I'd be interested to see the reaction to this 1-2 years out. If you believe the country is polarized now it's just the beginning IMO.
You ain't shittin gramps, civil disobedience isn't going to cut it. We VERY NARROWLY missed a huge collapse in the U.S., and the Bush Admin and Congress were prepping for Martial Law. It is somewhat unfortunate that the majority of Americans don't consider those types of events to be a plausible consideration.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is somewhat unfortunate that the majority of Americans don't consider those types of events to be a plausible consideration.

We are all going to be branded as crazy people for a while. I certainly expect that. People do not want to hear or understand what the consequences of economic collapse are. Denial is a very, very powerful frame of mind. Look at drug addicts. We are no different IMO.

hear-see-speak-no-evil1.jpg

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
My first taste of what collapse could mean was when I read "The Ominous Parallels" by Leonard Peikoff. At one point in the book he describes the hyper-inflation of Germany and the pandemonium that followed. I suggest that anyone who is interested in the topic take a good hard look at Weimar-Republic Germany leading up to the advent of the Nazis. It's fucking terrifying.

ROJO145

Veteran
So its like the vfw,or the legion hall,or the knights a columbus,etc.....a bunch of retired soldiers and police force saying they are not gonna obey any orders.....but they arent given any orders anymore right?I mean,ya cant wear that patch on an active service uniform right?And have any members that are currently serving ever dis-obeyed an order?Just wonderin if its an after school program or beer hall event.....cuz I dont see what there doin:tiphat:
do they have bingo on weekends?

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We are all going to be branded as crazy people for a while. I certainly expect that. People do not want to hear or understand what the consequences of economic collapse are. Denial is a very, very powerful frame of mind. Look at drug addicts. We are no different IMO.
Denial is also the path of least resistance, apathy is way too easy. Self sustainability should be paramount in the best of times IMHO, but 9 times out of 10 that McDonalds cheeseburger wins out.

MarquisBlack said:
take a good hard look at Weimar-Republic Germany leading up to the advent of the Nazis. It's fucking terrifying.
The historical parallels are quite shocking. GM = Volkwagon??? hmmm.

H

Hal

Sometimes I'm a devil, and sometimes I advocate in that guise...

Just because this country is suffering through some bad times, and our political reps seem like shit (they really always have if you look at history), and the 24 hr news cycle has given all of us a too-close look at the sausage making that is our legislative process, doesn't mean that any 'ol group who gets up in arms at present is necessarily a group to swear allegiance to.

Here is part of the wikipedia entry, based on what the Southern Poverty Law Centers research has provided:

Report by the Southern Poverty Law Center

In the Southern Poverty Law Center's 2009 report The Second Wave: Return of the Militias, Larry Keller wrote that the Oath Keepers "may be a particularly worrisome example of the Patriot revival."[11] Keller described Richard Mack, an Oath Keeper, as a "longtime militia hero"[3][11]:7 and quoted him as having said, "The greatest threat we face today is not terrorists; it is our federal government… One of the best and easiest solutions is to depend on local officials, especially the sheriff, to stand against federal intervention and federal criminality."[11]:7 Mack, a former sheriff, responded by denouncing the SPLC's claims.[12][13]

In an opinion piece for the UK's Independent, Rupert Cornwell wrote about the report, calling it "a fascinating study by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), the respected organisation that monitors America's extreme right". Based on the SPLC study, he described Oath Keepers as a movement whose members "believe their duty is to the constitution, not to elected politicians."[14] Writing about the same study in The Progressive, David Love described Oath Keepers as "concerned about a coming dictatorship, concentration camps and a 'New World Order.' And they regard President Obama as 'an enemy of the state.'"[15]

Founder Rhodes has appeared on several TV and radio shows to discuss Oath Keepers.[1] Lou Dobbs talked with Rhodes on his radio show and both criticized the SPLC for "perpetuating the same kind of intolerance it claims to condemn."[1] On Hardball with Chris Matthews, Matthews and Rhodes discussed both the SPLC report and issues involving the Oath Keepers and extremists.[10]

The Southern Poverty Law Center does good work, keeping a look-out for extremist groups, like the militia movement that was happening a decade or so ago. They monitor groups who might spawn domestic terrorists like Timothy McVeigh, which is a good thing in my book. Terrorists are terrorists, whether foreign or domestic. This country has its fair share of crackpots too.

So...I'll be withholding my support until I know that they aren't just the latest version of the militia movement.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
I really don't want people to go "join" or "lend their support" to this group, rather I would like people to take a stand and at the very least agree with the ideals that this group embodies. Much like I would like people to lend their support to the Constitution rather than the Federal Government's interpretations/bastardizations. "Movements" are bullshit, but ideas are not.

If this group were started sooner, we may have seen a more active resistance to the unlawful orders given to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

You won't see me at any group meetings, but I'm damn sure gonna rock that "OathKeeper" tab on my field-jacket from now on.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
doesn't mean that any 'ol group who gets up in arms at present is necessarily a group to swear allegiance to.

Very true. I'm not a member and this is the first time I've heard about this group, but I understand their philosophy.

They are swearing allegiance to protect the Constitution not the group itself. The problem with all these groups is what leader of the group is going to interpret the Constitution and how is that interpretation going to manifest itself as group action.

Non-violent action is what they espouse. :dunno: For now I would imagine that will hold true. Groups of ex-military tend to be a bit trigger happy though.

The whole fucking situation is just so disheartening. I believe in what the group swears to protect. I imagine there are going to be many groups coming out the woodwork here shortly.

American's are such an isolated people with little family structure left. When we bind together, many will be looking for the strongest sect to make it through. Be they bad or good may make no difference. It's will they put food on the table?

iSmokeTrees

They need to open their membership to any American citizen, because you shouldn't have to be a current or former officer to uphold the constitution, considering it is every American's duty.

But their about looks like they wrote it after watching the movie "Shooter." I think the line from the movie is "I took an oath to defend the constitution from enemies, both foreign and domestic."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts