What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are they worth it?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am new to this sight sight so help a brother out if you can. My question is this, are seeds from breeders like TGA Genetics (RIP Subcool), MzJill Genetics, Dr Greenthumb, Dungeon Vault Genetics and other breeders that tend to only offer regular seeds worth the $100 to $150 price tag (it is not about those breeders specifically, just breeders that sell in that style, high prices and regular seeds only). Or would a guy be better off going with the more known breeders like Nirvana, Sensi Seeds, Barneys Farm ect. I would be willing to pay the big bucks if i thought i would be getting something special.

Seed site vendors take 50% right away. Get in touch with breeders direct, or shop around.

mexweed

Veteran
I have a pack of Sub's stuff, I want to say it was $80

one thing I have noticed with the strain is better plant structure and just a better plant all around as far as how it looks like old fan leaf health in flower, it's starting to frost and smell, cherry anise almost like an almond pastry with some gas to it

I have heard Adam Dunn talk about how some plants just smoke better, like no matter how you grow them some will still have an off taste or be a bit harsh, I think the good American breeders pay attention to things like that when breeding vs just reversing a hype clone to whatever else they have

J-Icky

If your growing right the price of the seeds shouldn’t matter as much. Even with the $500 packs. Sure your only getting 10, or however many, seeds but from those you can produce thousands more of another generation or even unlimited clones.

But if your just into popping new seeds every grow then I’d honestly stay away from the higher priced ones and go for the $20-50 packs and get a good variety.

The real problem is everyone wants the hype new strain or want to be the person to find the next hype thing just for clout. The difference between the hype new strain and what you will find in most decent packs isn’t much and is honestly more marketing than anything.

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
weedobix i feel the same way some time. How did you find what you were looking for? Did you go with the more expensive seed or clones?

not really more expensive, just really doing your homework on seeds by looking up grows and reports.

i would say i probably get on average a single keeper from each seed selection i do which is usually something like 20 to 30 seeds each time.

i've been going through karma & seedjunky stuff recently, got some nice plants from those 2.

Wild Seed

I like strains that are 65 to 75 days in flower. So i lean towards the broad leaf stuff. I like strains that are not going to put you strait to bed lol but has a relaxing uplifting vibes with some good pain relief. Thank you for the info.:tiphat:

For your preference IME I'd recommend Mandala #1.

Seed companies charge anywhere from about $10 (KCbrain) to $500+, but regardless of price they all offer gems to be found. Seeds cost relatively little to produce and IME the price doesn't always indicate quality. There are lots of good breeders and vendors with very reasonable prices with a bit of research.

European breeders are generally cheaper, though avoid the bulk banks unless they are well documented. Lots of Dutch strains seem to focus less on end-product effect IMO. Most US hybrids are good overall with more focus on flavor but they're also better hyped and often with minimal details, meaning it's more money to gamble.

S...Heaven has some good F2s, heirlooms and hybrids for a good price as do sBay and Kwik. Otherwise strains from breeders like Mandala, Sweet, Cannacopia, or for a little more ACE, French Connect and Karma, off the top of my head, can all equal or outperform half those more expensive seeds from Sensi, TGA, etc.

T

TakenByTheSky

Some of the best plants I've ever had have come from seeds less than $100 a pack.

Even found some gems in packs less than $50.

$80 is about the sweet spot for me. over a hundo it's got to be guaranteed dank or something super rare.

I think a lot of seed makers are fucking their customers up the ass at seeds price $150 +

skillz

I think it depends on your goals and set-up... if you dont have a veg/mother space its harder to justify the expensive seeds as your ROI will be limited to one harvest... especially if your trying more finicky strains that my require a few runs to master....

the fem vs reg is a controversial topic but i think fems may be more suited for growers who dont have space to keep moms and could benefit from a more homogenous garden

That being said - dont let that stop you if your willing to to spend the cash ... compared to buying your herb the price of seeds is quite negligible imo

Morphote

Veteran
Once upon a time I believed higher priced seeds produced better cannabis. Now I know better. I’ve seen dirt cheap seeds outperform super expensive seeds. Do your homework. Don’t believe the hype.

M.

Treevly

I have seeds of two strains which to me (and my smoker-testers) are quite exceptional. The effect is gungwowzamazie. Both are from known breeders, but not the biggest breeders by far, and both strains have passed into history unnoticed very much. I don't know if that information is helpful, but I conclude that you have to keep your eyes and ears open and watch for exceptional quality, wherever it comes from.

Price sometimes make stuff look better.

J-Icky

Well if your into indicas Infinity Genetics is a good place to look and at good prices. I know there’s some controversy over some of his strains not being named correctly but that’s only a couple and he has a good selection.

Brother Nature

Grow what works for you and your customers (If that's why your growing). That's the only way to tell what's good. I've grown killer seeds from reputable companies that have turned out average to me, but killer to consumers and vice versa. I've also grown bag seed that I loved and others didn't rate. I've even grown shit I loved that sold quicker than sliced toast. It all depends. I say grow it all and see what happens, that's the best thing about genetics.

rolandomota

Veteran
True fire genetics cheap as hell modern day hybrids. If you wait you can get 50% off on the sales days lots of fem and regular seed for 20 30$at regular price some seed mixes for low 100 mixed seed regular for 120 and if you get the 50 % off thats cheap cheap 100 mixed fem for 200 and if you get the 50 off its 100 for 100 mixed fem you just got to watch their instagram.com or the true fire website

Latest posts

Latest posts