What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

are these the best headphones for the money?

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
i beat on my head phones...so id get some sony monitor headphones....theyre cheap and sound pretty damn good....

I

icon

i have some nice sony stdio headphones they were $100 sound is good quality crystal clear & there made well (hard to break) if you throw them in anger

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
I'll throw in another vote for Sennheiser.

I had a pair of Technics DJing headphones not long ago that I thought were pretty good sounding. Then I needed a portable pair for my mp3 player so I bought some Sennheiser foldable headphones for nearly the same price as my Technics ones.
Let me tell you, even though they are about a quarter of the size they sound so much smoother and clearer, especially at high volumes. They give out some decent bass for tiny headphones too.

Don't buy Technics. Go with Sennheiser.

:joint:

NOKUY

Veteran
Thanks for all the advice everyone! You guys are the best :wave:

Well, anyway I ordered the technics.

I did shop the sennheiser and was really close to getting the HD280's

even tho there are lots of good reviews.....I've just heard too many times that the tech's are the best....so thats what I went with.

I'm not a hardcore audiophile anyway, but I def. want my music to sound good.

(smokin mad weed and listening to TOOL on headphones is the shit!!!)

If I dont like them and am not happy I'll spout my dissent all over the internet..lol

again thanks guys :wave:

NOKUY

Veteran
my techs got here today!!!...

got here early and my girl tried them b4 me....she even took them to work...WTF?....'sall good tho...

damn they sound tight...i just listened to to 2pac...picture me rollin, all eyes on me, heaven for a g,

and sum other shit...

i cant complain!

NOKUY

Veteran
didnt wanna make a new thread for this so i brought up an old one....i still have my technics and love 'em.

saw that dr dre has sum new headphones out and he must be proud of 'em ....he wants a pretty penny....299 for the dj style, and like 150 for earbuds....:yoinks:

...anyone listened to them?....i cant imagine them being better than my technics tho

they are called "beats by dr. dre" headphones...im sure they'll be all the rage in the hood

beats-by-dr-dre.jpg

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
I'm a fan of AKGs, myself... specifically the 240 series. Then again they're studio 'phones that won't deafen you. Exactly what you don't want.

But if you wanna hear every CD in your collection like it's the first time? They're the ones you want. I've gone through 3 pairs in ~12 years... and I'll buy more as long as they keep making them.

akg240mk2.gif

-s

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
Fuck that man, £299 for DJ headphones? Sennheiser HD25 all the way. All parts replaceable, flat(ish) response, sound the tits even when CRANKED.. i.e. your ear will distort before they do - and they've got bullet proof build quality, so if you do have to replace any parts, it wont be before you've had 7-8 years of heavy use.

soniq

I'm gonna let y'all in on one of the engineer's dirtiest secrets: learned this one from being around the way a few times.

Your favorite mastering engineer and producers are using Yamaha rh-5ma headphones, which cost about 45$. Most big studios have about 20 new in box in the closet at all times because they're almost too good to be true. Perfectly flat and accurate. Incredibly comfortable. Did i mention $45 ?

The only thing they're not suitable for is booth vocals, and that's only because of mic bleed. Big condensors pick everything up. Need closed ear designs for booth. I've mixed down for hours in them without fatigue.

Remember: Yamaha rh-5ma. Go get some and thank me later..

Those silver sony dj headphones are shit, just for the record. So bass heavy it's offensive. I guess if accuracy doesn't matter they're ok for djing. I have a huge stash of new rh5ma just in case they stop making them

Strainbrain

Veteran
I've done both - studio and live PA/DJ - and I've gotta say... the silver Sonys are great DJ phones. We ('bout 6 of us) swore by 'em. We took a backup pair to every set. Mind you, this is about 10 years ago. Why'd we love 'em?

They're loud... and when you've gotta hear a record in one ear and a 55,000 watt PA system in the other? Or a couple of muted tracks on an aux bus to make sure synths are patched right/drum loops are correct? Yeah.

Stick with the studio 'phones in the studio. The DJ phones are as useless there as the studio 'phones are in a live setting.

soniq - Yamaha, eh? I tried their NS-10s and never did understand the hype. $300 Alesis M1s (~1997) were my pick. I might give the headphones a shot, though, as my last pair of 240s (RIP) got run over by my rolly-chair one too many times this winter and developed a crackle. :mad:

-s

Edit: If you look, you'll find 240s for under $100 and the MKIIs at ~150.

soniq

soniq - Yamaha, eh? I tried their NS-10s and never did understand the hype.

yah give them a shot in the studio...... at $45 you will be floored. They've found their way into the most finicky engineer's ears whom immediately went and bought 10-20 pairs JUST in case yamaha stopped making them. They are incredible.

I have the NS10's as well....... the originals anyway..... they definitely don't create any excitement to listen to. The cool thing about the NS10's for me anyway is that what you hear on them, you will also hear in your car, on a boombox and in a concert hall. They have an uncanny knack for being a perfect reference of what you will hear............ no more running back and forth to the car and the waiting room with 20 different mixes...... same with the rh-5ma headphones! I wouldn't mix any miami bass records on them but everything else is good to go.

haha miami bass records. Remember the late eighties "bass boy" records ? "b b b b b b BASS! BASS! " anyway

I promise you, you'll be very pleased for 45 bucks! Interested to see waht you think....

Edited to add: DJ Majic Mike make the car go boom

Strainbrain

Veteran
I have the NS10's as well....... the originals anyway..... they definitely don't create any excitement to listen to.

I'm no idiot, I know the difference between reference monitors and listening speakers. :D

I just always found the NS-10s to be a little 'too' flat... they lacked not in frequency response but in 'life.' I got better mixes on my M1s as I'd have to tone down a lot of the highs and high-mids when I had the NS's. Of course, in my untuned studio/bedroom, it was/is kinda a crapshoot anyway. Maybe it was more a matter of my specific room than the speakers themselves.

haha miami bass records. Remember the late eighties "bass boy" records ? "b b b b b b BASS! BASS! " anyway
:looks at the wall, finds the DJ Icey 12": ... Yup. :joint:

-s

soniq

I'm no idiot, I know the difference between reference monitors and listening speakers. :D

I just always found the NS-10s to be a little 'too' flat... they lacked not in frequency response but in 'life.' I got better mixes on my M1s as I'd have to tone down a lot of the highs and high-mids when I had the NS's. Of course, in my untuned studio/bedroom, it was/is kinda a crapshoot anyway. Maybe it was more a matter of my specific room than the speakers themselves.

:looks at the wall, finds the DJ Icey 12": ... Yup. :joint:

-s

i bet that's it....... placement/room/acoustics/planetary alignment..... hmm, i guess the ns10 ARE a bit boring since I tend to mix 90% on Event 20/20's or on a PA if I'm excited about the music..... the ns10 are kind of a last stop reference to gauge translation in different systems. I don't have an ideal acoustic situation either which is why I worship the rh-5ma.... getting more into the PAS analyzers and stuff to identify muddy spots and phase cancellations and stuff...... beyond the general wisdom of filling out a track sparsely that is........ thank god for audionews.ru

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
Fuck that man, £299 for DJ headphones? Sennheiser HD25 all the way. All parts replaceable, flat(ish) response, sound the tits even when CRANKED.. i.e. your ear will distort before they do - and they've got bullet proof build quality, so if you do have to replace any parts, it wont be before you've had 7-8 years of heavy use.

Yup, HD25 all the way. :yes:

The new Allen & Heath's are supposed to be shit hot, but I'm gonna stick with SH. Me likes the A&H mixers though. :D