What's new

Are there any preppers here on the mag?

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And just how does one go about stocking antibiotics ?
Amoxicillin is amoxicillin. And 500ml is 500ml. Even if it's sold for dogs/horses/ even fish :yes: its the same shit.
Anyone know how else to get the stuff without a script ?

corky1968

Veteran
Amoxicillin is amoxicillin. And 500ml is 500ml. Even if it's sold for dogs/horses/ even fish :yes: its the same shit.

Check Petsmart or other aquarium places, Ebay, Amazon, etc. :tiphat:

The dogs stuff you need a prescription. One of my brothers had a bunch of sick dogs and he got
the fish stuff online in bulk since no prescriptions is required for fish medications and it works.To
go see a vet for his dogs would have cost him a lot of money. He was wise to go the fish route.
Another kennel owner told him that's what a lot of dog breeders do to avoid paying $1000's to
greedy vets.

Petsmart Fish Disease Treatment

I find that most stuff in cans is rubbish; better getting the staples like rice, beans, lentils and flour, and making sure you have a way to cook them, ie gas cooker with enough gas bottles to last for a while, as when SHTF there will be no electricity or gas supplied, or a good store of firewood.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran

Yes. Great topic. Many antibiotics are available off the shelf as veterinary supplies.
You need to be able to determine the correct antibiotic and dosage though.

. Amoxicillin 250mg AND 500mg (FISH-MOX, FISH-MOX FORTE)
· Ciprofloxacin 250mg and 500mg(FISH-FLOX, FISH-FLOX FORTE)
· Cephalexin 250mg and 500mg (FISH-FLEX, FISH-FLEX FORTE)
· Metronidazole 250mg (FISH-ZOLE)
· Doxycycline 100mg (BIRD-BIOTIC)
· Ampicillin 250mg and 500mg (FISH-CILLIN, FISH-CILLIN FORTE)
. Clindamycin 300mg (FISH-CIN)
· Sulfamethoxazole 400mg/Trimethoprin 80mg (BIRD-SULFA)

There are several resources on the web that can point you in the right direction. If you are going to store antibiotics you need to print out directions for proper dosage and use. If you are buying antibiotics at the pet store make sure you are buying those without any other additives, like those that will give fish shiny scales and such.
https://www.doomandbloom.net/survival-antibiotics/

I find that most stuff in cans is rubbish; better getting the staples like rice, beans, lentils and flour, and making sure you have a way to cook them, ie gas cooker with enough gas bottles to last for a while, as when SHTF there will be no electricity or gas supplied, or a good store of firewood.

I agree. Just remember you will need a good water source both for cooking and drinking. Beans and such require lots of water both to cook and drink as your body needs extra water to process them after you eat.
If you are going to store canned products avoid products with liquid that are packed in plastic . Like those little fruit cups and such.. Many products are good way past their printed expiration date if stored in a cool dark place . They may discolor or lose some flavor over time but are still safe to eat. Some do go bad . I had some Low Sodium SPAM put up and when checking supplies a while back the cans had a noticeable bulge. The regular SPAM is still good though. I opened a can that was well past the expiration date and after about 2 years on the shelf still tasted like new. As far as SPAM goes. LOL. :) The same happened with a few cans of condensed milk. It actually started to eat through the can. Into the bin they went. Many products made by Hormel company basically have indefinite shelf life. Like SPAM . Acidic foods like tomatoes ,pickles and such dont last as long . Canned meats such as chicken, tuna and such will last a long time if properly stored.

Interesting point about the pigeons, Noyd.

They all dark meat, too

Not many pigeons around here but little birds like robbins and doves are tasty little dark meat snacks. :)

Green Squall

Lots of unhealthy, crappy canned food out there but there is stuff that's worthwhile to store.

For power outages I like butane gas stoves. They are super cheap and are safe to use indoors. You can get the fuel canisters at any asian market for some reason.

GasOne-GS-3000-1024x444.png

Wolfshadoe

My bugout is 48,000 acres Fl coastal.Gulf accessable by boat/jet ski.Many curvy creeks. It tookem a decade in TODAYS world to get me outta my swamp.and that was a decade ago.

I have Nothing like some of these responses..WOW:tiphat: Good for yall man!!! Its always good to know their is kindred spirits.

Its funny I ran across this thread. Just a couple of weeks ago I got a letter from CLAUDE DAVIS. I had no idea who he was. Until I googled him and the web site he wanted me to write. It was askaprepper.com Well To be honest I have only participated in 2 web sites..lol this is 1..We all ol schoolers know the other..

This guy Claude Davis is the REAL sh*t man!.I was impressed that he had even heard of <ws>.The letter was from romainia. I actually lived a good portion of my life in the wild ZONE. What I went through though is a UNIQUE situation and thank god I lived through it and never really hurt no one that didn't NEED hurting.

No matter where you folks are on this earth I care for each and everyone of yall and if sh*t hits the fan?.....:moon:
Peace yall <ws>

Wolfshadoe

LOL...Maybe I should Invite CLAUDE DAVIS here???
<<ws>>

Edit:
Had to fix invite..I guess this guy that wrote me wants me to cater to his website,,>>>>>askaprepper.com
I don't like browsing on this thing and I damn sure aint going to OTHER web sites,,,Hell I bought this PC just so I could come back here at IC mag!!!
IC is the ONLY thing in favorites..

Last edited:
I don't prep for WW III, but I prep for unrests and an even more severe economical crisis with some kind of a temporary 'social blackout'. I think just when the banks, the supermarkets and the gas stations close just for two or three weeks there will be absolute chaos and I feel better to have some stuff at home which could be helpful. And there are so many things for less money which can make the difference between hell and heaven. A big sack of rice from the Asia market is cheap and will fill your belly a long while. Matches, lighter, candels, torches, batteries etc are cheap things which can make the difference between day and night. Instead of storing big amounts of water bottles I have Micropur Forte, which sterilizes any water. I have a gas cooker and gas bottles for at least two month. If a severe crisis would take longer - I don't want to think about.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

One thing that I see a lot of prep oriented people do is, to move from an urban home near the coast, to a more rural location with a lot of land, more inland.

That generally means, hotter summers and cooler winters.

I have seen those cooler winters send 2 families ske-daddling from rural homes - back to San Diego.

There are lots of names for how the weather affects human beings, e.g. Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Dealing with the cold - I find one of the best ways is simply to start out the day with something that makes you sweat. E.g. putting on extra parkas and walking uphill for a half hour.

All of a sudden that 50 degree house feels almost toasty !

brown_thumb

I would much rather live in a cooler climate than I live in now. Had things been different a few years ago, before I bought my two acres in south Texas, I would have kept the two acres I had in Alto, New Mexico just northeast of Ruidoso. However, I expected my health to last longer and would have been able to work a few more years. But that wasn't to be. Now, I no longer have the funds nor the health to buy elsewhere and move again. This place is okay but too damn hot.

coldcanna

Veteran
All of a sudden that 50 degree house feels almost toasty !

Spoken like somebody who only has a wood stove! I feel your pain, I live in northern new england and only have a wood stove. Its not uncommon to be -30 at night in the dead of winter, we have to wake up at 1 or 2am to reload the fire and even then the house is 55 in the morning when you wake up, sure makes you appreciate a hot shower and cup of coffee. And one thing going back to the prepper ideas, everyone should have a couple pairs of wool socks, a sweater, and hat because theres nothing like wool when its freakin cold out

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
if only prepping and slacking where compatible.

Zombies getting a fresh dank edible on Z day

corky1968

Veteran
Make sure you have some banana clones.

If they drop the bomb anyone with bananas will be rich.

I know I watched the original planet of the apes and know how it all ends.

i.e Charleston Heston on his knees yelling God damn you. :laughing:

Here.

Planet of the Apes