What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are the Yankees toast?

Are the Yankees toast?

• Huge come back, they'll win the division.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • The'll get the wild card and lose in the play offs as usual.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Maybe in 5 years.

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

DirtDevil

So it looks like yet another wasteful year for the new york Yankees, 220 million dollar pay roll equals 3rd place in august?

Do you think they have a chance this year?

trouble

Veteran
DirtDevil said:
So it looks like yet another wasteful year for the new york Yankees, 220 million dollar pay roll equals 3rd place in august?

Do you think they have a chance this year?

You can stick a fork in the Yankees for this season, I believe their done!

They would have to win at least 75% of thier remaining games and hope that Tampa Bay & Boston crash & burn to make the playoffs. And if that isn't bad enough, they have Toronto only a couple of games behind them in the AL East.

YANKEES GO HOME! ALL THE WAY TAMPA BAY!

GO RAY'S!

........................................................................................................

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Please know that when I say this I mean it in the most respectful way (YEAH RIGHT) you are SO talking out of your butt when you made this statement.......
DirtDevil said:
The'll get the wild card and lose in the play offs as usual
if that weren't so untrue it might've actually torqued me a bit. When you state a fact that is TOO easily proven wrong expect a challenge.

HEY! I know!!! Let's show everyone the truth.......

When you use the phrase as usual and the Yankees in the same sentence it makes MUCH more sense to go with the facts below.......

World Series Wins by Team
NY Yankees..........26
St. Louis Cardinals..9
Dodgers............. ..6
Cincinnati Reds......5
Pirates.................5
NY Giants..............5
Oakland A's...........4
Detroit Tigers........4
Boston Red Sox......4
Braves................3
Orioles............. 3
Cubs.................2
White Sox............2
Indians..............2
Twins................2
Mets.................2
Blue Jays............2
KC Royals............1
Phillies.............1

as usual they win the world series about once every 3-4 years and I guess that fact just kinda chafes some folk.

They have without a doubt the HUGEST worldwide fan base with OLP sales, ticket sales, and game attendance (53,000 per game in '07) that dictate they pay the best players to come play on the team. It's quite obvious that a Yankee (Yogi Berra I think) dropped you on your head when you were a baby, I can still tell how hurt you are.

Get over it! I noticed this thread is about my team and not yours,
oh well 'as usual' your team is at BEST second to mine.......

As a true fan of my team I would NEVER call them toast, but with the knowing grin that only a Yankee fan can wear I can honestly tell you....... "there's always next year"

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes but the yankess have been playing pro ball since before jesus was born.
alot of the other teams on the list weren't original teams when the MLB was formed.
i would hope you have 20 more than the next guy being you've been around for 50 more years than most.
they have been playing as a franchise since 1901 in b-more.
then moved to NY in 1903.
so 107 years of baseball.

DirtDevil

I've always liked the Yankees, and yes they've won more world series than anyone, but when was the last? i'm really not sure but it was probably like 2002. The last 5-6 years theyve made the play offs and flopped, playing horribly in the play offs, not taking advantage of clutch situations and cursed with injuries at the worst times for their key players. hopefully theyll at least make the play offs this year, it would be truly sad if the highest paid team in baseball didnt.

FLA.GOON

I ALWAYS HAVE FAITH IN MY YANKS, AND THEY ALL MOST EVERY YEAR MAKE THE PLAYOFFS ON THE COME BACK ! :rasta:

P.S. FUCK THE METZ & BOSTON

luciano28

They are done, 10 games back with 38 games to go. Their only hope is for 2 of these three teams to absolutely play terrible: Boston, Minnesota, Chicago WS. I dont think its possible for them to catch Tampa. Tampa only has 37 games left and are 9.5 up on the Yanks. They are 5 back of Boston and 4.5 back of Chicago and Minnesota for the wild card. Gonna be tough to expect Boston and one of the AL Central teams to fade that far.

Sharp_Pain

there is no way with that lame pitching staff they cvan catch the rays or Sox for the division or wild card....

This is the year of the Cubs...

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cocktail frank said:
i would hope you have 20 more than the next guy being you've been around for 50 more years than most.
they have been playing as a franchise since 1901 in b-more.
then moved to NY in 1903.
so 107 years of baseball.
OK frank, it's your turn now.......
Were the Yankees playing ball against only themselves for the last 107 yrs?

Where are the rest of the 20+ world Series winners then?
Boston Red Sox are high on that list with (4) WS wins but they waited 86 years for win #3 AND YET they have had the second highest payroll in baseball for many years now. Care to expound on this frank?
Mets = BIG payroll
Angels = BIG payroll
Cubs = BIG payroll
But NONE of them begin to equal the Yankees in WS wins. Nobody does.
Don't blame the Yankees, history, or $$ for their long and fabled success.
A shitload of the teams on that list I posted have been around for 50-60 years, why don't ANY of them have a 25% world series win ratio as do the Yanks. BTW the St Louis Cardianls have ten (10) WS wins I was using an outdated list above. OH! and the Cardianls have been around since 1900.

The Yankees are the Worlds Greatest Baseball team bar none. The best players are drawn to the mystique of pinstripes and The Bronx, if anyone wants to whine about the money the Yanks spend then GET REAL & GET RIGHT and blame the fucking sports agents for the salaries they demand for their clients when bargaining with the Yanks, THEY are at fault I happen to know for a fact that the Yankees would rather pay less for their players.

EDIT:
And I mention 1900 for the Cardinals as they were renamed the Cardinals in 1900, this exchange being somewhat about 'recognized MLB' world series play which began in 1903 any reference to earlier yrs (1884 was the first complete world series) is irrelevant. Fact is that nobody is EVER going to catch the Yankees, not in our lifetime anyway.

Heck,
the Yankees had 20 WS wins out of 29 appearances between '21 & '65 and 26 WS wins out of 39 total, in fact in they won 12 of their 13 WS games between 1936-1953, the shear number & ratios of their WS wins is just mind boggling, a history so rich, so awesome it's refered to as a dynasty.......

Last edited:

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the cards have been around since the 1880's ftr.
the mets came into play in the 60's and just recently started spending money w/in the last 5 years.

but w/ the mlb collective bargaining agreement,
the yankess sales are helping funding the payrolls of the likes of rays, twins, marlins.
all small market teams w/ no money.
but they are all playing better ball than the yanks.

i also do believe that hank will fuck the team up, like a young george did.
took george awhile to get the team straightened out w/ his thick head, remember the 80's?
history does repeat itself and the yanks wont win anything for awhile.
they have no farm system, give crazy money to has-been big names and have aged or worethless pitchers.
plus a-rod aint worth shit in the clutch and sux since he's had to lay off the steroids.
but the yanks have no problem paying him over 500 million to be a REGULAR season hero

FallenBuddha

Chat Mod
Veteran
stick a fork in 'em, their done. the rays, who are 29th out of the 30 mlb teams in payroll, are owning the league.

peace -fb

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As long as we have a baseball thread running I'll add this story

A true baseball story, 70s, teams and players unknown to me.......

I recall this being an American League playoff game where a base runner is making his bid for stealing second base. He slides safely into the second base bag just under the tag when the ump yells, "Saaaaaaaafe" but throws up his fist & thumb in the gesture used for calling a base runner out. Both base runner and the 2nd baseman see the conflicting call, the base runner looks up and says, "Well am I safe or out?" To which the ump replies "Tell ya what son, I think all three of us know that you were safe but 54,000 fans saw me call you out so, YOU'RE OUUUT!"

Last edited:

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
I think the Yanks are learning that you can't load a team up with all stars and expect them to gell together.
Nah, they haven't learned... and never will as long as the Steinbrenner's own them.

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
Heck,
the Yankees had 20 WS wins out of 29 appearances between '21 & '65 and 26 WS wins out of 39 total, in fact in they won 12 of their 13 WS games between 1936-1953, the shear number & ratios of their WS wins is just mind boggling, a history so rich, so awesome it's refered to as a dynasty.......
You weren't alive to see most of those world series championships and lately the Yanks ain't done shit. I don't care what they did in 1936. I wasn't alive and neither were you. Let me know what you've done lately. I'm no Boston fan and they've only won 4 world series but at least they've won 2 of them in the last few years. Not to many other teams can say that. But I guess if you want to brag about what you did between 1936-53 or whatever go ahead I'm sure some old geezer is listening. if you don't win another one for another 100 years at least you've got those championships between 1936-53 right, hahahaha.

and lol @ you thinking were jealous because the yanks USED to be good. nope not at all. i don't even worry when my team plays the yanks anymore.

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But I guess if you want to brag about what you did between 1936-53 or whatever go ahead I'm sure some old geezer is listening.

if you don't win another one for another 100 years at least you've got those championships between 1936-53 right, hahahaha.

and lol @ you thinking were jealous because the yanks USED to be good. nope not at all. i don't even worry when my team plays the yanks anymore.
you're so easy to read,
you know nothing about the Yankees 'cept you think you bad dissin' them.......

no, I wasn't braggin' on the 1936-53 yrs, I was braggin' on ALL of it. Twenty six (26) WS wins in just 85 years! Thirty nine (39) WS appearances in all, 46% of the WS in the last eighty five years. I'm impressed every time I look at the stats.

No offense but if you're 18 yrs (or just a bit older) old right now I can't help that you were in grade school in '96 and might've now (perhaps conveniently) forgotten that the Yankees have been in the WS 6 of the last 12 years including that they won't be there in '08. They won four of those WS btw. In '96 they went 4-2 against Atlanta. In '98 they went 4-0 against San Diego! IN '99 they went 4-0 against Atlanta! In '00 they went 4-1 against the Mets, whoa!

isn't that all recent enough for you, or is it NOT just because you think you can brag up a $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$ bought team like the Red Sox for winning 2 WS in the last 5 yrs? what's good for the goose good for the gander dude. yup, that team you just bragged up is BOUGHT & PAID FOR, yup, like the Yankees.......

I could drum up even more facts but, like, I'm bored with this now.

The Yankees are a dynasty, they are the most successful sports franchise ever to exist, I cannot change nor ignore that history.......

here's something for you, a saying that's 100% true:
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
~George Santayana~

you learn from history, you don't scoff at it, you don't ignore it, if you ignore history you'll not ever learn lifes lessons by your own mistakes.

you were quick to challenge, and with just a snipet of a very incomplete recent history, and so your rush to do so reminds me of one final saying:
"Youth and speed are no match for old age and treachery."
~unkown~

I think I'll go do some laundry now.......

Last edited:

luciano28

RudolfTheRed said:
Nah, they haven't learned... and never will as long as the Steinbrenner's own them.

I dont really see how the Steinbrenners have anything to do with them losing, the players and coaches are the ones not performing. The Steinbrenners give the Yankees fans a chance to see them win a pennant every single year. I know a lot of baseball fans around the nation would kill to have owners of their favorite team like the Steinbrenners. If the Steinbrenners made any mistakes, it was letting Joe Torre go in my opinion. If you look at the Yanks on paper before the season starts, every year they should be in the mix, thats all you can ask for. Hank Steinbrenner doesnt take any at-bats or pitch any games, he just signs the checks.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cocktail frank said:
107 years of baseball in ny, not 85
the reference of 85 an yr span was intended that 1923 was the first yr they won the WS, 87 had I included the previous two yrs ('21 & '22) losses & is very factual as I'd stated, ""26 WS wins in 85 years.""
They have won 26 WS in the past 85 years.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
RudolfTheRed said:

I dont think who owns them has anything to do with that, it was a pro sports thing, happened in hockey, baseball, basketball and, football. The New York Rangers, have done this for years without any real results( other than 1 cup)

My main dislike for the Yanks is due to their constant winning the American League East. I am a Jays fan, and those damn Yankees. I dont really pull for any other teams, but I do pull for certain players, and have an equal dislike for certain players. I cannot stand Joba, I think he is an overweight tool, but I love Jeter, and love to see him play well. I will watch any game if it is on and in HD, so I tend to find players I like and respect, and follow them.

Nothing personal against NYY, just need to move to teh National League

Latest posts

Latest posts