What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are Other Breeders Ripping Off RSC?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Guys please don't be hypocrites! RSC is doing the same thing! Nobody is innocent in this dirty canna business!

Check here if you don't believe me:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8590046#post8590046
I read that entire thread a while ago and my take was that Mustafunk was just making ridiculous accusations. Not sure why? Ego perhaps?
It is not fair at all to produce that quote out of context without ngakpa's reply at least. It's actually worth reading the entire exchange.
I don't know how to put a quote from another thread but it's here;
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=273101&page=46

I have purchased from RSC and listened to some of Angus' interviews, and he comes across as someone with very high integrity, who genuinely loves the plant and wants landrace preserved.

Last edited:

sbeanonnamellow

I'm all for the more seeds the better, the more gardeners the better. What needs more importance in my opinion is the transparancy of lineage and how provenance is marketed.

The members on this forum represent a select niche of hobbyists and even for a majority of us it's difficult to keep up with what's going on in the seed business unless really keeping up with things.

The crew at RSC seem more transparent than most and offer a collection of varieties that's pretty unique compared to other sellers. You can't reproduce the same seeds unless you're working the same population sizes in the same unique climate. You can't reproduce the same seeds without the same parents.

It's the reason a hobbyist will seek out seeds produced from farmers on acerage before reproductions from a pack or two. That said, improvements can be made and people working the lines often start by reproducing what they have to start with. For me, it comes down to transparency and sharing the story of the seed. A gardeners intent.

Bob is that quote supposed to suggest that The Real Seed Company is selling some varieties collected from a German genebank?

ngakpa

Veteran
I've been noticing an increasing number of breeders that are offering landrace seeds that sound exactly like the RSC offerings. Not only are the names the same, even the sources are the same. It looks to me like breeders are buying RSC packs, doing a bit of selective pollen chucking, then offering up those seeds.

If you have noticed this too, or if you have had discussions with breeders on this topic, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Personally, I think breeders are ripping off RSC by taking their genetics and doing their own reproductions, but I have nothing to base this on except what seems to be obvious to me. I hope to have better information come out on this than just what I think at the moment. Appreciate any input you have to offer.

I don't know who you have in mind, but pm me if you want an opinion

Using photos is new to me, but at least one of the bigger IG outfits has been copying RSC strain descriptions pretty much word for word for several years now

I can't prove they did the same with the seeds though

Others have copied names I made up, or invented bullshite stories about the culture in order to attempt to discredit RSC

around the same time various of these outfits started spamming me on social media, I would also get emails attempting to get knowledge out of me about the best places in Garhwal etc. to go collecting - quite sneaky stuff

lots of snakes in the grass, basically, but that's how it goes

ngakpa

Veteran
I saw the siberian rudi being offered by a prominent non-rsc breeder with the same source as RSC

ah no, in the case of the Siberian, that's not a knock off I think, depending on who you're lookin at

those are from a Russian-American collector indpendent of RSC, and it says that in the strain description in the sourcing details

ngakpa

Veteran
Guys please don't be hypocrites! RSC is doing the same thing! Nobody is innocent in this dirty canna business!

silly talk

that whole thread was nonsense

if you're getting outraged about making rare landrace genetics available to people when the institution in question has chosen to hoard them, maybe check yourself...

Lesnah

@ Ngakpa, that could've been me if it was a DM via IG about Garhwal seeds... I did inquire maybe a year or two ago. I wanted to know if you had plans of restocking.

Reason I asked is because i received some seeds from an alleged uncultivated plant within Uttarkashi, which is within Garhwal section if I recall correctly and wanted to compare plants.

FYI

ngakpa

Veteran
@ Ngakpa, that could've been me if it was a DM via IG about Garhwal seeds... I did inquire maybe a year or two ago. I wanted to know if you had plans of restocking.

Reason I asked is because i received some seeds from an alleged uncultivated plant within Uttarkashi, which is within Garhwal section if I recall correctly and wanted to compare plants.

FYI

ha dude no, I'm not that stupid or paranoid

these gave definite signs of being sneaky attempts to get specific village names out of me

for context, the main figure from ILE says he is from Garhwal

yet he doesn't seem to know the best places in Garhwal to go for charas

noticeably, around the time that lot appeared in my world, i/e/ when they started spamming my IG, a sequence of emails came in from sneaky characters trying to milk me for info about Garhwal etc.

nothing I can prove, of course, except the bit about them not knowing Garhwal well

Sunshineinabag

It would be hard to really 'rip off' or 'knock off' Real Seed Company varieties

Because they are most often point of origin straight from farmers

Angus encourages reproduction in pure form

As far as taking that and selling it? Would be hard to compete with RSC point of origin seeds

Angus can weigh in and express how he feels about it

I know exactly what you mean about the knock offs but anyone who as any awareness what so ever can see the difference :biggrin:

Angus kicks ass. I could work with a cat like him!

Lesnah

Ah, if that's the case then I would get rather suspicious myself.

In my opinion, Coco has always been a more trustworthy source than those dudes.

RSC is probably the best option though. Angus' knowledge seems extensive af.

ngakpa

Veteran
Coco has always been a more trustworthy source than those dudes.

for seeds perhaps, I don't know

but as a source of information, he's just as bad

photos of obviously hybridized plants in Parvati are all over his profile

when an American grower described one as "pure" I pointed out they were obviously hybridized

Coco's attempts to deny this eventually took him into full climate change denial territory

e.g. he tried denying that introducing hybrid seed to the world's most ancient centres of Cannabis biodiversity is necessarily a problem

so, not someone I'd want to be giving my money to, personally, but people should make their own decisions

ultimately what matters is getting these seeds out to as many people as possible

Brother Nature

I bought my last seed run from RSC and one of the biggest reasons was how upfront they are with their descriptions of the strains, their origins, and that their prices were pretty good. I'd love to know more about their Afghaan 90 though) That and, through kwikseeds, I was able to get some c99. If someone were to work some of their landrace or heirloom lines into the better modern lines out there, I bet we'd have some much more interesting weed coming out in the near future.

brickweeder

...lots of snakes in the grass, basically, but that's how it goes

sure seems to be the case. I'd rather buy seeds that have been directly sourced from whatever geographical region I am interested in, and if not sourced directly, then with minimal generations from the source. I am now using that as my criteria for who I buy from.

regseeds

RSC are not breeding the seed dont they just collect seed from set farmers in set locations and act as the middle man as the retailer ?.

Their are a few company's now offering heirloom / land races from Farmers from set country's acting as middle men there should be more doing it from more locations as that is how these strains get preserved.

Sounds a little salty hempy if i must say, no digs but ngakpa work goes far beyond a "middleman retailer"

I can't think of anybody who has served this industry better over the last decade than ngakpa, even educationally.

Fine, i'll blow some smoke up his A**, personally he's been a revaluation to the industry, also has high integrity.

ngakpa is smart enough to know the success he is having comes with a big target on his head. If anything see it as bonus - the charlatans are going to great lengths to copy what you do, you must be doing something right!

Keep going

Sunshineinabag

No good deed goes unpunished?
I'm investing/working on a led cmh room I can at least pump 10-20 of one particular rsc seed.....I have a horrible time choosing

Lesnah

for seeds perhaps, I don't know

but as a source of information, he's just as bad

photos of obviously hybridized plants in Parvati are all over his profile

when an American grower described one as "pure" I pointed out they were obviously hybridized

Coco's attempts to deny this eventually took him into full climate change denial territory

e.g. he tried denying that introducing hybrid seed to the world's most ancient centres of Cannabis biodiversity is necessarily a problem

so, not someone I'd want to be giving my money to, personally, but people should make their own decisions

ultimately what matters is getting these seeds out to as many people as possible

Very true, on some of his accessions...like the pulga village ones, the description claims some plants had modern "selection" influence...

What I understood from this is that some of the locals started selecting for certain traits like color or sweet aromas or what have you; instead of whatever cultivation method they normally practice.

My deductions could be way off and in reality could just mean that indica/sat hybrids have been mixed into the crop-weed populations. What do I know I'm just a kid from the big city who fancies old school shit.

Chances are, you've been right or mostly right all this time.

I stand corrected

ngakpa

Veteran
Very true, on some of his accessions...like the pulga village ones, the description claims some plants had modern "selection" influence...

I've had charas from valleys like Pulga where the modern hybrid influence was glaring

I would ignore anything the guy writes

Latest posts

Latest posts