What's new

Are Bubble Bags really made from Goretex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LolaGal

The Chinese manufacture the polyethylene Monofilament, and make filters, etc.

I just want some samples of the fabric they are making, but they want to help me out...

I told em how to make the bags I needed, we will see... :)

bubblebill

Nylon side walls

Nylon side walls

Everywhere I've seen the price of Bubble Bags defended I hear "they're made of Goretex"... but I bought a set of Bubble Bags and they're 1680 Denier Nylon with a Urethane coat -- not Goretex. Goretex is a breathable membrane that disperses water droplets but allows air molecules through ('breathable material'). It's designed for jackets and clothes so you are waterproof from the outside but your skin can breath so you don't sweat to death.

The Bubble Bags definitely do not have this 'breathable' membrane (nor are they anywhere near a tri-laminate). It's a urethane coated nylon.. not Goretex.

Bubble Man did you change manufacturing practices? If the bags aren't Gore Tex anymore, why was goretex used in the first place?? It doesn't make sense for a simple 'waterproof' material for this specific application.

Hello Vorsprung
Do you think it’s really necessary to even have side walls of 1680 Denier Nylon and just use the polyethylene screen from top to bottom of the bags?
Do you think the Denier Nylon sides is just a cosmetic thing?

bubbleman

Veteran
YOu definitly want some type of material on your side that is NOT screen.. THe all screen bags produce a much lower quality of hash.. due to the smaller particulates that would otherwise not make it down to the botton of the screen to settle.. will easily be pushed thru the side screen with the agitation of the water ( ie the mixing)
This is one of the reasons the filter bags never produce quite the level of bubble that is produced out of 8 plus bag kits...

194IMG_0156C_Large_.jpg

Peace
Bubble man

the proof is in THE PUFFING....

Vorsprung

Ya but the smaller particulates will be pushed thru in the next smallest micro bag i pull up
Will they not?

it's a gravity / surface area issue. while I (and i'm sure bubbleman) would highly recommend doing your mixing in a second bucket (to prevent unecessary wear and tear on the 220 bag) many still mix in the bags. Having all-screen will allow that much more surface area for non-resin particulates to get through.

The reason you mix, and then wait, is gravity does the work of allowing plant resins to fall to the bottom, through the filters while the plant matter generally stays suspended/floats. Any unnecessary grinding, churning, etc will highly increase the likely hood of additional non-glandular particulates getting through if you have an all-screen bag.

Vorsprung

Hello Vorsprung
Do you think it’s really necessary to even have side walls of 1680 Denier Nylon and just use the polyethylene screen from top to bottom of the bags?
Do you think the Denier Nylon sides is just a cosmetic thing?

denier nylon isn't a cosmetic thing - it's a heavy duty fabric that will hold up to years of use. the screens are the most 'sensitive' parts of the bag.

This is why the 'parachute' material Ebay bags are silly. As are the crappy 600 Denier other Ebay bags - the weave is so loose it's almost bigger than 73 microns between the weave! Once the PVC wears off (which it will on those crappy ebay bags) no longer will you have a complete waterproof sidewall. The other 'parachute' nylon the 'wine bags' and other ebay options is really thin and will tear as easy as easy or easier than any screen.. plus it's a pain in the ass to work with.

Only Bubble Bags and Sprung Bags (maybe Payload too? not sure..) use a high quality 1680 denier nylon with Polyurethane coat - definitely the best nylon/coating combination for the ice water extraction application

Vorsprung

So you can see what I'm talking about, below are 100x zoom pictures of the Ebay 600 Denier (almost all Ebay sellers - crystal king, bubblebag dude, etc) are selling this bag made from the same Chinese manufacturer. Look at the pore-size between the weave!! The white background is the PVC coating from the inside showing through!! Once that wears off - open sesame.

Ebay Bags:
ebay1.jpg

Sprung Bags (and Bubble Bags) use 1680 Denier Nylon. Look how tight the weave is compared to the crap above:

sprungbag.jpg

As you can see - watertight and ready to hold up for years of use.

Vorsprung

so other then -doing the mixing in a second bucket you really don't need the denier nylon sides?

it will work... but you have seams to work around and the lifespan won't be as long. plus, as discussed, the open sidewalls WILL increase the potential for non-resinous plant matter getting into the extraction.

bubblebill

will they work better then the china made ebay bags you see for 40.00 As i would think the trichomes will not get caught in the cheap Ebay 600 Denier nylon holes

Vorsprung

will they work better then the china made ebay bags you see for 40.00 As i would think the trichomes will not get caught in the cheap Ebay 600 Denier nylon holes

i would say yes just to avoid the PVC coating. what filter bags are you talking about, specifically?

Vorsprung

going to make some homemade ones

right on - make sure to use high quality polyethylene monofilament -- no nylon fabric mesh, etc. out of curiosity let us know how much the materials end up costing - you making several screens or just two or three?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Great thread..
BTW: I have some ice-o-lator bags, but I'm looking for some high quality silkscreen to make a dry siefter. Does anybody knows where I can get only a couple of square meters of good mesh (also they should ship it to eastern europe)?

Vorsprung

Great thread..
BTW: I have some ice-o-lator bags, but I'm looking for some high quality silkscreen to make a dry siefter. Does anybody knows where I can get only a couple of square meters of good mesh (also they should ship it to eastern europe)?

Check with Sefar Screens - they have factories all over the world. Find the one closest to you and have them refer you to a distributor. They also have wire with 220u to 38u micron openings :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts