What's new

Arcata, the Californian town that has gone to pot over marijuana cultivation

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
Wes i a member here just like you. And you dont even know the half of it so please refrain from calling me something i am not. Loosing patience with certain members who constantly scare people away from this forum due to there argumentative ways? yes. And I'm allowed to have a opinion.

I sliced my finger. one hand typing.

SCF

inflorescence

Veteran
SCF said:
Loosing patience with certain members who constantly scare people away from this forum due to there argumentative ways? yes.

I was just posting what I know.
I did not know a CA forfieture had to be associated with a conviction and of 10 lbs or more.
BUT, just remember, that's a CA (state) forfeiture proceeding. Fed is different and I'm not aware of any 10 lb rule or has to be associated with a conviction for a successful fed forfeiture.

All and all, that 600 plant grower in Arcata could have the landlords house seized because he had 27 lbs lying around and unless the landlord NEVER stopped by the landlord would have known this. Judges realize "reasonable" landlords at least stop by their property once a year as part of a "due diligence" of being a landlord.

Remember when they figure out if it's over 10 lbs they will weigh any plant material.

You say I'm trying to scare people away when really I'm just trying to enlighten people of the quasi-legality of CA MMJ laws. I mean even the supreme court goes back ond forth on these laws so if they can't figure it out then the average joe sure isn't going to be shown any compassion by the state gov.

Last edited:

wescyber

Man inflourescence now you are just talking out your ass. Marijuana has been decriminalized in California since 1987. Meaning that posession of less than an ounce is a simple misdemeanor, it also means that landlords who know their tenents smoke weed wont lose their house if there tenent isnt breaking any federal laws. 10 pounds is the magic number where the state crime of possesion for sale turns into the federal crime of trafficing a controlled substance.

I stood up for getting picked on....If your gonna continue to blow that blowhole I'm gonna have to leave you to your own faculties.

SCF I apologize. This guy is a real ass.

For anyone who would like more hard core FACTS about california marijauna laws feel free to check www.canorml.org

-wes

Last edited:

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Doesnt help anyone to alienate the MODS or scare folks. Weird how this place always turns into a pissing match between us over issues important to us all.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
thank you wes for understanding1 i have work injury cant type sorry! be back in a week.

G

wescyber said:
Man inflourescence now you are just talking out your ass. Marijuana has been decriminalized in California since 1987. Meaning that posession of less than an ounce is a simple misdemeanor, it also means that landlords who know their tenents smoke weed wont lose their house if there tenent isnt breaking any federal laws. 10 pounds is the magic number where the state crime of possesion for sale turns into the federal crime of trafficing a controlled substance.

I stood up for getting picked on....If your gonna continue to blow that blowhole I'm gonna have to leave you to your own faculties.

SCF I apologize. This guy is a real ass.

For anyone who would like more hard core FACTS about california marijauna laws feel free to check www.canorml.org

-wes

Wes,

This dude talks out his ass in every thread I come across his drivel in... :asskick:

inflorescence

Veteran
KISE1 said:

Fine, there is no DEA, there is no Federal (not state) asset forfeiture. I made it all up.
You can never be busted. You can never lose your property. Your in CA, you're immune to the whole nation. Nothing can touch you.

Anytime you wanna come down to San Diego and test all your little theories out, be my guest. That's right, every city in CA is just like Arcata because that's what the law says right? :rolleyes:

inflorescence

Veteran
AprilFOOL said:
Wes,

This dude talks out his ass in every thread I come across his drivel in... :asskick:

Read the thread again. I posted that the original article was correct. SCF came on saying no way, it was fabricated. Wes, who apparantly lives there comes on and says the article is correct.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
If it was legal, and taxed, baddies would move on to other drugs

If it was legal, and taxed, baddies would move on to other drugs

A Case study for you all to ponder:

Imagine a friend of mine, someone who grows very High-quality Organic Pot. His gourmet strains are almost always low-Moderate yielders. Never high yielders. That always seems to be the case.. Veg 'em big, and get more, but the time and space to do it costs money, so it all works out. Or grow inferior strains that yield more.... Of course, people clamour for the Gourmets..... lol

He travels or orders seeds and finds his own phenotypes annually. Each batch a yearlong demanding biology experiment - which again, takes up valuable space, and does not " Directly" yield financial rewards - as in, the space could be used for flowering.... Also, he runs 3 or 4 types that have demand as (no denying it - recreational purposes as well as) specific different medical properties, and abilities.

His supplies are extensive, and EXPENSIVE. He lives in CA, is conforming to the laws in terms of keeping it medical (It goes exclusively to a club)...

He works VERY hard, and has little of a social life. That is OK, because he is happy, and even though there is very little to do up there, and few single women worth looking at, he feels pride.

His rent is almost astronomical. His landlord is aware of what is going on. He is low-key, keeps up the property, and is a good neighbor. All the people immedaitely around know what he is doing. Some of them are engaged in the same thing. Many in the neighborhood are as well.

No one immediately nearby is offended by the beautiful odours that emanate.
The next door properties are not close, not far. Although the houses are relatively nearby, they are all on 1-2 acre parcels....

He plays several musical instruments, and donates to any cause he fells is benevolent, within his belief structure. Not too much, but something.

He works very, very hard, (his attention to detail is keen and necessary) and has little or no social life. Sometimes, he seems totally burned out, sometimes completely stoked. He wears several hats, as he lives alone and keeps only a mother room inside. In the garage is the flowering room - which sits almost fallow during the warm summer months (1 light)...

A greenhouse that conforms to the specs per Prop 215, for himself and his brother. Both have the necessary credentials, with bona fide medical reasons. Any Extra goes to a medical club.

He lives for travelling a couple of weeks a year, and maybe gets all told, 30 days off a year, at best.

The local club loves his shizzle, and wants it all. He makes enough to live on, and a bit more. Not showy, no big new Monster-Trucks, no Pit Bulls around... Like some fools do. Just like an effective person working anywhere, where there is opportunity and funds....

Unlike the area he lives in, here is the Key that has not been mentioned in this forum......

The area (and many around it, that possess similar demographics) have almost NO opportunity to make money, and the economies are falling fast. Only beautiful green cannabis plants keeping the areas from complete bankrupcy.....

It is a delicate balance.

While many good points have been made here.....

Rumours abound, and some say that the Feds are all around the Northern Part of California, taking and finding out information.

Many Prop 215 people have no objection whatsoever to Cartel grows in the forests being stamped out.... Enviornmental damage, river diversions, killing of wildlife, threatening hikers, etc......

Unfortunately - the high ( and steepening ) cost of energy makes it a lot more expensive to find these grows in desolate areas. Although this is the true problem of Marijuana cultivation.. But, it is Much Much easier to target houses...

I suppose Mr. Spraypaint has never been cited for Tresspassing...

One final and important point to be made. And as far as I can discern, the FEDS HAVE NOT TARGETED MEDICAL PEOPLE>>>>>
yet.

Just an attempt to add a point-of-view, as things are increasingly divisive in that area, now. Hopefully, (pun intended) Mr. Obama will not allow federal raids on Medical people.

And we can then concentrate on the guns and the high murder rate in our cities..... More of a scourge on our society, by far, and one that may increase with the degradation of the unholy Dollar.

Last edited:
G

stasis said:
A Case study for you all to ponder:

Imagine a friend of mine, someone who grows very High-quality Organic Pot. His gourmet strains are almost always low-Moderate yielders. Never high yielders. That always seems to be the case.. Veg 'em big, and get more, but the time and space to do it costs money, so it all works out. Or grow inferior strains that yield more.... Of course, people clamour for the Gourmets..... lol

He travels or orders seeds and finds his own phenotypes annually. Each batch a yearlong demanding biology experiment - which again, takes up valuable space, and does not " Directly" yield financial rewards - as in, the space could be used for flowering.... Also, he runs 3 or 4 types that have demand as (no denying it - recreational purposes as well as) specific different medical properties, and abilities.

His supplies are extensive, and EXPENSIVE. He lives in CA, is conforming to the laws in terms of keeping it medical (It goes exclusively to a club)...

He works VERY hard, and has little of a social life. That is OK, because he is happy, and even though there is very little to do up there, and few single women worth looking at, he feels pride.

His rent is almost astronomical. His landlord is aware of what is going on. He is low-key, keeps up the property, and is a good neighbor. All the people immedaitely around know what he is doing. Some of them are engaged in the same thing. Many in the neighborhood are as well.

No one immediately nearby is offended by the beautiful odours that emanate.
The next door properties are not close, not far. Although the houses are relatively nearby, they are all on 1-2 acre parcels....

He plays several musical instruments, and donates to any cause he fells is benevolent, within his belief structure. Not too much, but something.

He works very, very hard, (his attention to detail is keen and necessary) and has little or no social life. Sometimes, he seems totally burned out, sometimes completely stoked. He wears several hats, as he lives alone and keeps only a mother room inside. In the garage is the flowering room - which sits almost fallow during the warm summer months (1 light)...

A greenhouse that conforms to the specs per Prop 215, for himself and his brother. Both have the necessary credentials, with bona fide medical reasons. Any Extra goes to a medical club.

He lives for travelling a couple of weeks a year, and maybe gets all told, 30 days off a year, at best.

The local club loves his shizzle, and wants it all. He makes enough to live on, and a bit more. Not showy, no big new Monster-Trucks, no Pit Bulls around... Like some fools do. Just like an effective person working anywhere, where there is opportunity and funds....

Unlike the area he lives in, here is the Key that has not been mentioned in this forum......

The area (and many around it, that possess similar demographics) have almost NO opportunity to make money, and the economies are falling fast. Only beautiful green cannabis plants keeping the areas from complete bankrupcy.....

It is a delicate balance.

While many good points have been made here.....

Rumours abound, and some say that the Feds are all around the Northern Part of California, taking and finding out information.

Many Prop 215 people have no objection whatsoever to Cartel grows in the forests being stamped out.... Enviornmental damage, river diversions, killing of wildlife, threatening hikers, etc......

Unfortunately - the high ( and steepening ) cost of energy makes it a lot more expensive to find these grows in desolate areas. Although this is the true problem of Marijuana cultivation.. But, it is Much Much easier to target houses...

I suppose Mr. Spraypaint has never been cited for Tresspassing...

One final and important point to be made. And as far as I can discern, the FEDS HAVE NOT TARGETED MEDICAL PEOPLE>>>>>
yet.

Just an attempt to add a point-of-view, as things are increasingly divisive in that area, now. Hopefully, (pun intended) Mr. Obama will not allow federal raids on Medical people.

And we can then concentrate on the guns and the high murder rate in our cities..... More of a scourge on our society, by far, and one that may increase with the degradation of the unholy Dollar.

Great post, dood :joint:

Arcata cannabis crisis gets Bush Administration's attention

(Published by the Arcata Eye on July 22, 2008)

ARCATA – With new local and state guidelines in the works and looming over Arcata’s out-of-control cannabis scene, the federal government is here to help as well.

On Tuesday, July 15, Arcata hosted Scott Burns, deputy director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, who is the Bush Administration’s second-in-command for drug regulation. After participating in marijuana raids in Eureka and points south and meeting with county officials, Burns traveled to what has apparently come to be known as America’s grow house capitol, the City of Arcata.

Here, Burns met with City and Humboldt State University officials and granted the Arcata Eye an interview before traveling to Sacramento to meet with state officials.

The view from the White House

In an interview (see pages A8-9) Burns shared the federal government’s views on medical cannabis, grow houses and possible enforcement action by the authorities.

Burns later said his mission to Humboldt and Arcata was twofold: 1. “Seeing firsthand what’s going on with respect to indoor grows, which is an exceptional problem,” and 2. “To thank the hard-working men and women doing this hard [enforcement] work on the front lines.”

In the interview, Burns adamantly dismissed any notion of medical usefulness of marijuana, saying that dosages are unregulated, smoking is an irresponsible delivery system and that suitable substitutes for medical cannabis exist in the form of FDA-approved medications. Legalization, Burns said, would immediately lead to even more widespread use. He said today’s marijuana fundamentally alters human brain structure and leads to addiction and ruined lives.

Burns said grow houses, including home gardens maintained by purported Prop 215 patients, are used to supply dispensaries, which the federal government views as criminal enterprises. In fact, two of the four existing Arcata dispensaries have admitted buying from residential Prop 215 grows.

He said owners of dispensaries risk “losing their property” via asset forfeiture, which, he said, “I predict will happen soon.”

Burns urged a re-thinking of the acceptance of marijuana in contemporary culture, and even seemed to suggest that recreational use could be legislated and enforced away.

But regarding enforcement, Burns seemed to offer a mixed message. While unyielding in asserting that federal law holds marijuana illegal under all circumstances and trumps all state and local medical cannabis laws, Burns nonetheless advised Arcatans to “defer 100 percent good judgment of the people who have been elected and appointed” while motioning to those present in the APD conference room. But most of them are working on guidelines under which medical marijuana may be safely cultivated and dispensed.

Following his Arcata visit, Burns journeyed to Sacramento for further discussions. During a brief phone discussion Friday, he said he’d met with the U.S. Attorney, officials with the Drug Enforcement Administration and other drug enforcement personnel including the FBI, county sheriffs and police chiefs.

The results of Burns’ foray into cannabinized California will, he said, soon be discussed in the halls of high-level government in Washington, D.C. “I’ll report back to Mr. Walters [John P. Walters, ONDCP director] on what I saw and feedback I received,” Burns said.

Arcata will be a hot topic. “My meeting in Arcata was pretty eye-opening,” Burns said. “The mayor, councilmembers and HSU truly want to partner and come up with a solution.” He said the cannabis industry in Arcata “has far outgrown the level of acceptability.”

Arcata’s message to Washington

City Manager Michael Hackett said that the City hadn’t called the meeting with Burns, but that City officials and others were happy to share their views. “Everyone that spoke made the statement loud and clear that this community supports compassionate use, but that in some cases it has gotten out of hand,” Hackett said. HSU’s concerns, he said, centered around displacement of housing by grow houses and the effect that has on student welfare and admissions.

Meanwhile, new guidelines for distribution of medical marijuana expected last week from the state Attorney General‘s Office were not issued for reasons unknown.

The Burns interview airs on KHSU 90.5 FM this Friday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. after the Home Page.

The Tuesday bust

The Humboldt County Drug Task Force, assisted by HCSO, Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement and the FBI, concluded a one-year investigation into the alleged illegal cultivation and sales of marijuana by Ryan Robletto and co-conspirators. Agents served search warrants at 15 locations in Humboldt County and seized 3,026 marijuana plants, approximately 10 pounds of processed marijuana, two ounces of heroin and 22 firearms (including one assault rifle) were seized and 15 arrests were made at various locations.

Latest posts

Latest posts