What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

approached by someone who wants to partner, did i get in over my head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rule #1 - Tell NO ONE.

That is what ICmag is for...getting help on your garden.

All without anyone ever setting foot in your garden or asking you to put your sanctity of home and thus security at risk...and without breaking your legal limits to benefit "some guy" at the hydro shop.

Anyone that is your "friend" would NEVER suggest you put yourself in legal jeopardy just so they can bag a few more ounces...

Try the "New Growers" forum as well. Lots of people just getting their feet wet. Easy to find a like minded person to bounce ideas off of.

dank.Frank
as the above,,
if you can,,never have partners especially family members,,,use the site and avoid telling anybody about your stuff,,:tiphat:2

blastfrompast

Veteran
My partner cost me 18 months of house arrest....so I say FUCK PARTNERS.

And half your crop for some clones is a shitty deal..

Locally you would have been set you up with gear and clones(indoor)...and only take 25%......Seems 50% is way high...and being greenhouse it is even worse...

What is the guys risk, besides some clones that are a worth ZERO to him right now...

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Partners are like hemorrhoids. Both are a pain in the ass and hard to get rid of once they show up!!
Don't know if anyone ever told you this, but never make friends in a hydro store. Unless you're paying for what you went in there for don't bring anything else home.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Sounds like a blaring security risk to me!!!

I'd be running all the way to Cabo, no wait, I am!

Pancake5765

Every, and I mean EVERY, time I do more than volunteer my free time to help out, the friendship/partnership degrades when the nugs start looking like money.

You CAN do all of that on your own and you CAN slowly build you grow up over the cash from the previous grows. IMO it is the only way to keep you friends, nug, and cash all happy and in line.

MJBadger

Veteran
Anyone that is your "friend" would NEVER suggest you put yourself in legal jeopardy just so they can bag a few more ounces...

Gotta agree with what dank.frank says here . If Washington is possibly restricting medical growers in the future who are going to be penalised first ? Anyone that has broken their regs; ie; exceeded plant numbers etc .

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I would agree 100% with all of you that say NO PARTNERS!!
However.....I met this dude who I got seriously good vibes from. I have the gift of "Discernment of Spirits", and dude has a good heart.
I went all in with him this year and only known him 3 weeks before hand, and only talked to him periodically.
He has been a very hard worker and a great guy so far. I had to leave/move from the apt I had 23x GG#4's, at week 6 of flower, with heavy, sticky buds on them.

He helped me carry out all 23 plants in the pouring cold rain. He helped flush them by carryng water, along ways, in 5gln buckets from the mountain springs about 200 yards away. Thats alot of work. I just harvested them at week 9 and he never touched a bud.
Nothing. He doesnt even want anything from it because he said I did all the work and they were almost done anyways.

I believe that this is rare in this world. Im truly blessed to have a partner I can trust 100% and know that hes a hard worker, not afraid to do whatever it takes to succeed, Will not run his mouth to others, is just as passionate about MMJ as I am.

A partnership is a 50/50 split with all costs for materials, work load, maintenence, and risks. This kinda sounds like a guy tryin to take advantage of your situation so he can have a better harvest with no risk and all reward. He probably is doing this with all kinds of people because hes being watched since he owns a growshop.
But who knows....he could be testing you to see if your cool and with his connects it could pan out in the long run when you end up partnering with him on a new seed company in the Netherlands or having the best genetic stockpile ever.

MJBadger

Veteran
He doesnt even want anything from it because he said I did all the work

You find somebody you can trust like that you pin them down & shove big fat bags of bud in their shirt .

JointOperation

I wouldn't partner up with someone who offered to you like that man.. more then likely .. they will figure out were u are.. and come back and rob your entire crop.. before the harvest date.. taking there plants back.. and everything else of yours.. not a good idea..

I say maybe maybe.. a close .. goodhearted friend.. who is in the same ballpark as u.. not someone who wants money.. or to get rich growing..

and like he said above me. u found a rare gem in the human race OGW lol.. not many trustworthy people out there..

DarthFader1

Veteran
DoubleDDsNuggs;6399319[B said:
]I frequent a hydro store and have become friendly with some of the clerks.[/B] the other day, I was telling them how frustrated I was and was this close to hiring someone to come in a few hours a week to show me how I can fix this or that problem. I was approached later saying they would come and help me. I've always wanted to expand and grow some stuff in my greenhouse and I live fairly secluded. I mentioned this over a bowl or three and he mentions that his business partner has recently started doing some sort of project and he is going to be tending his gardens in the meantime and there are some extra plants he could put out in my greenhouse. we would then split the yield in half. I really like the idea and am very excited to do something this large but at the same time, I'm sort of nervous. I would be over my limit very easily as far as 15 plants. There are some other concerns like security because once in a blue moon, I will find a trespasser cutting through the property to get to the highway and they never seem like the savory type lol. also, and this is EXTREMELY rare, but the police come down my driveway looking for someone in the nearby trailor park. this would cause anyone who is lost which does happen about four or five times a year to drive right past the greenhouse within fifteen feet.

what type of things should I be thinking about or asking them? I'm just a simple patient who gets a little overloaded with all the info about growing that sometimes it can be frustrating. I have no experience in any business side of it or the legalities of what happens or if it does happen to patients that grow outside the limit. I only hear that they confiscate the extra plants but that just seems to good to be true. I don't think they're taking advantage of me since it was I who offered space to grow so when they come over to help me they can make it worth their time by tending to some plants. I would benefit a lot from their experience and the project their business partner is working on is really exciting. someday it would be awesome to be able to do something like that. they're fairly well known around these parts in the medical community and it would be an honor to learn from them really. so why am I so nervous?

sorry this is so long and I'm not sure if this is the right section or if I gave you the right info to give advice. I guess I'm mainly nervous about getting caught over my limit. I'm probably thinking 10-15 plants over the limit to give a better figure. we didn't even talk about how many plants.....oi

Im actually glad you posted here. After reading your OP i didn't even bother reading one further post.

Listen to me Sir, and i say this with love. If you cannot do this on your own you have no business being in this business. Do not trust anyone

You have been warned

Darth

Last edited:

JointOperation

very good advice..

the only time i have partners is on outdoors.. and only when i find someone that will do 50/50 everything.. and i know were they live and shit.. so if my shit does go early i go to there place and see whats up..

but in all seriousness.. partners aren't good unless u both want the same exact things.. and you both understand the risks and rewards only come with hard work..

people think ill grow and get rich.. lol ya that doesn't happen unless every single grow.. u expand.. and a lot of noobs.. cant even get a good grow till like grow 3-4 ..

but if u wana go big.. work your way to were u wana be.. partners can land u in jail . dead.. or robbed..

i wish i could find a good hearted individual for a partner on my outdoors.. if i did this.. i would say .. id have them help me at 1 of my spots.. if they found a spot for themselves.. ill help with there spot.. we split both spots 50.50.. and ontop of that. id have atleast 1 more spot of my own as a JUST INCASE type situation..

but good luck.. a lot of people will take advantage of other growers .. say he is doing this with 5 other people.. eventually 1 of those people will get busted.. and ur partner goes down.. and so do u..

id just stay by yourself.. and just dedicate more time or space to get were u need to be.

DarthFader1

Veteran
very good advice..

the only time i have partners is on outdoors.. and only when i find someone that will do 50/50 everything.. and i know were they live and shit.. so if my shit does go early i go to there place and see whats up..

but in all seriousness.. partners aren't good unless u both want the same exact things.. and you both understand the risks and rewards only come with hard work..

people think ill grow and get rich.. lol ya that doesn't happen unless every single grow.. u expand.. and a lot of noobs.. cant even get a good grow till like grow 3-4 ..

but if u wana go big.. work your way to were u wana be.. partners can land u in jail . dead.. or robbed..

i wish i could find a good hearted individual for a partner on my outdoors.. if i did this.. i would say .. id have them help me at 1 of my spots.. if they found a spot for themselves.. ill help with there spot.. we split both spots 50.50.. and ontop of that. id have atleast 1 more spot of my own as a JUST INCASE type situation..

but good luck.. a lot of people will take advantage of other growers .. say he is doing this with 5 other people.. eventually 1 of those people will get busted.. and ur partner goes down.. and so do u..

id just stay by yourself.. and just dedicate more time or space to get were u need to be.

Julian once said the only time a partnership is good is when you can do more with both of you as a team than you can with both of you working alone (assuming security and other essential factors are a constant).

This is a extremely elementary economic term known as synergy.

FFS

EDIT: Nice post JO not coming down on you you just made me think more, chur

nuskool89

This thread truly showcases the level of experience some icmag members hold. My advice to the OP, take their advice. You live in Washington, you're already way ahead of a lot of us. Don't fuck this up; you have it made already. Learn to grow 15
main-lined trees instead of going over your limit if being criminal really makes you nervous.

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

so for the most part I agree with what everyone has said so far and thank you for responding! this is a huge security risk which is what made me initially worried about it. so I took your advice, did it on my own, got advice where I could and created a thread. everything was going well, I was feeling confident that I could do this on my own and then something happened. I still am not sure what happened to my girls but one leaf on the top went limp half way down and when I posted for help, one person said broad mites, then maybe it was root aphids. needless to say, I treated for bugs and fried my girls and am starting over again. I don't think it was even bugs to begin with and nobody can figure it out exactly what happened.
so the garden is culled, the dirt is replaced and everything is rebuilt. I have two clones in there right now. one is not doing good at all and yellowing and one is VERY green. I just want smoke pot for free by selling a little to a friend who's also a patient to pay the light bill. I don't want to sell to dispensaries or anything too big. I just want this to work :(
so all of this stuff is growing at my moms who has come out into my area and sees this situation: two tiny ass clones under a big expensive light and no harvested bud for the past four months so money is being paid to grow and to also buy our meds. then she sees the yellowing one and determines that this is not working and says that I need to just stop growing because I suck. so last night I sat down and did some number crunching to see if finding what they call consultants to come in and basically hold my hand to show me how this works. for their time they want the 50% yield. now that is more yield than I am getting now, would show that this is possible to my mom who would then be happy again like she was when I first harvested (she did the same thing last time but at harvest she was very pleased) so if I can just get to harvest, learn how to do this once then I can keep growing so I can possibly not have to quit, and cut my losses.
also, I would hope that this person wouldn't come and rip me off at the end but if they did, I honestly would be in the same place I am now: still not harvesting. maybe you're wondering how bad is she really? my first harvest was late because of issues and needing time to figure it out during veg. the second grow I should have finished smoking by now but it's culled and for the third one, I should be harvesting in a few weeks if everything had remained on schedule and harvested but its dead too. I started growing at the end of January and its September now
so these consultants, they are all over in my state because it is so relaxed here in comparison to other states and now that it's legal, even though you can't grow legal pot, people are coming out of the woodwork. the guy who originally offered me this is now working with someone else and doesn't have time to come out and do our original plan. we've hung out since that day we talked and have become much better friends since. he gives me advice all the time but there are times when he says it would be easier to help if he could actually see the plants physically. showing a pic of a limp leaf and coming over to actually see everything and talk in person seems to produce better results than getting cold guesses from helpful members of icmag. when I told him and showed him pics, he said he thought it could be broadmites but when he came over the next day, he said that it wasn't and he thought I could of just overfed them and overwatered them because he said the way the leaf felt so limp and in the pic it just appeared to be curling. :dunno:
so are all these consultants really people who are looking for grows to rip off? I can obviously see how people see that they're taking advantage of new growers but really, for as much time giving advice, driving out to your house, helping you do work for the entire grow, plus I think knowledge and experience is worth something, to final amount broken down isn't actually that bad. the only thing is the security issue which really has me curious if other new growers have worked with these consultants and what their experience was?

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
damn this thread was disappointing , no plants , and still trying to be friends with this schmuck and still no help or noithing

Status
Not open for further replies.