What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

approached by someone who wants to partner, did i get in over my head?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DoubleDDsNuggs

I frequent a hydro store and have become friendly with some of the clerks. the other day, I was telling them how frustrated I was and was this close to hiring someone to come in a few hours a week to show me how I can fix this or that problem. I was approached later saying they would come and help me. I've always wanted to expand and grow some stuff in my greenhouse and I live fairly secluded. I mentioned this over a bowl or three and he mentions that his business partner has recently started doing some sort of project and he is going to be tending his gardens in the meantime and there are some extra plants he could put out in my greenhouse. we would then split the yield in half. I really like the idea and am very excited to do something this large but at the same time, I'm sort of nervous. I would be over my limit very easily as far as 15 plants. There are some other concerns like security because once in a blue moon, I will find a trespasser cutting through the property to get to the highway and they never seem like the savory type lol. also, and this is EXTREMELY rare, but the police come down my driveway looking for someone in the nearby trailor park. this would cause anyone who is lost which does happen about four or five times a year to drive right past the greenhouse within fifteen feet.

what type of things should I be thinking about or asking them? I'm just a simple patient who gets a little overloaded with all the info about growing that sometimes it can be frustrating. I have no experience in any business side of it or the legalities of what happens or if it does happen to patients that grow outside the limit. I only hear that they confiscate the extra plants but that just seems to good to be true. I don't think they're taking advantage of me since it was I who offered space to grow so when they come over to help me they can make it worth their time by tending to some plants. I would benefit a lot from their experience and the project their business partner is working on is really exciting. someday it would be awesome to be able to do something like that. they're fairly well known around these parts in the medical community and it would be an honor to learn from them really. so why am I so nervous?

sorry this is so long and I'm not sure if this is the right section or if I gave you the right info to give advice. I guess I'm mainly nervous about getting caught over my limit. I'm probably thinking 10-15 plants over the limit to give a better figure. we didn't even talk about how many plants.....oi

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rule #1 - Tell NO ONE.

That is what ICmag is for...getting help on your garden.

All without anyone ever setting foot in your garden or asking you to put your sanctity of home and thus security at risk...and without breaking your legal limits to benefit "some guy" at the hydro shop.

Anyone that is your "friend" would NEVER suggest you put yourself in legal jeopardy just so they can bag a few more ounces...

Try the "New Growers" forum as well. Lots of people just getting their feet wet. Easy to find a like minded person to bounce ideas off of.

dank.Frank

HunterJ

"did i get in over my head?"

The short answer? Yes ...

Take the advice of two above.

Just tell your hydro man you have changed your mind. And given your situation, near a trailer park with strangers wandering through. Get a dog, great security and great company too.

DJXX

Veteran
tell him you might relocate and cease the partnership....it almost never turns out good...and going over your plant limit is an extra risk also....i tried it one season with a partner and never again....i had to babysit the whole grow and did most of the work just to give half of it away....unless he brings something super awesome to the table.....i'd still say "see ya"..djxx

offthehook

Veteran
If you are already insecure about it, than rather follow the advice from all the guys here above.

If you were the type who would full-on know what you were doing, I'd say go ahead, but obviously you're not cuzz otherwise this thread did not exist.

You gotto know how much you can handle. I personally am fully willing to face the consequences of my illegal activity, you obviously are not. Rather leave it to the guys with balls of steel, or until you yourself are in a position to overcome fear.

Your prospects sound like a nightmare to me. It'll prolly stress you out without end.

And like Dank Frank already mentioned: If he were a friend, he would not be doing such to you, cuzz he'd know you this well to figure out that this is not what you need.

I do understand though you got carried away a bit with the idea of partnering up, but you already made a smart move by making this thread, and I think none of us would want to see things going south for a fellow cannabis consumer.

I am all for overgrowing the planet, please don't take me wrong, but my good conscience goes always first.

There are plenty of positions for everyone at each their own level to fight this war.

sprinkl

Veteran
Hell even thinking about partnering with friends I've known 10 years stresses me out too much, let alone randoms I don't really know... Too much at stake man! Better to make some more errors and really learn from those than end up with stolen crops or law enforcement troubles, no?

Big D

icmagic
Veteran
Go with your gut. You say you're nervous. You don't really know them. People are almost always different than they appear casually.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
tell them your wife prohibits such things, even if you are not married. tell them you are also moving into a little apartment because your cop cousin needed financial help and you had to sell the property to help him out :D

Perpetual Nooch

There is no way to know he won't come rip all the plants one night in the fall. You will never know if it was him or not. You took the risk all summer and in the end you may get nothing.

Not worth it. And if the guy doesn't yet know the location of your place don't tell him.

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

thank you for your advice! pointing out that this is a stress I will have to endure throughout the whole season is something I didn't think about; mainly focused on the stress now. They know where it's at but the place my indoor stuff at least is locked up inside. I'm curious if I can use someone else's license to be a provider for them, could I use that to up my legal limit? I live in a house on my mom's property while I'm finishing college and my mom could go and get her license which would up my plant limit to 30. I haven't gotten a license for her yet because in Washington there is so much talk of them taking away patient rights in the next coming year and they might limit our plants to 3 with some talk of taking away growing privileges altogether. I didn't want her to blow the cash to have a piece of paper that doesn't mean anything in 6 months. however, blowing the $100 on a license for this one operation would be worth it potentially in the long run. Taking care of the plants wouldn't be too hard since I told him I want a water only easy organic method.

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

and I would say that he is not my "friend". I used that term loosely. He's a patient advocate more who donate buds, plants, and supplies to people who are in need. the reason he is helping me is because I have a lesion under my tongue which could possibly be cancer. He also said he would give me some plants to give to my aunt who's got fibromyalgia and garden died from spidermites. granted I barely know him but from what I do know, he seems like a good guy. the project his partner is working on is working with the Mr. Nice seed bank over in eastern WA.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
I have found, at least in the areas that I grew in, partners are usually a bad idea. Unless there is a long history of proven honesty, or a special person, I'd noit do it. Having said that, there was a time when I would. Almost always get screwed.

The good side of it is that it is on your property not someone elses. That is a supremely bad idea to have stuff on others' property.

There are no contracts binding or legal avenues to take in this "hobby" when things go Pear-Shaped.
Add to that what I call "The Growers' Mentality" - (Feelings of Untouchability, problems solved only by manipulation and/or violence)
DANGER Will Robinson..!!!

catbuds

Though I can't speak for your 'friend', I stand behind Mr Nice 100%. Very familar with Shanti's ethics, both as a breeder & one who is compassionate. He's been known to give free, top quality seeds to patients who can't afford to buy. While your 'friend' may, or may not be ethical, the people he is dealing with certainly are. I wouldn't do anything to alienate him: he could end up being the best friend you've ever had. But I would tell him a half lie. Tell him its your mothers property (if she has a house on the same property, it would help your little white lie) & when you discussed it with her she said HELL NO! Tell him you love the idea, & you hope to eventually get her to agree, but you just don't see her being swayed for this season. In the meantime, get to know the guy. Opinions of others who've dealt that closley with him should carry some weight in your final decision. You can always 'blame it on mom' & keep your existing business relationship with him. I sugest you contact Shanti. Its possible he can vouch for your friend. He's a VERY busy man, so don't expect an immediate reply. Good luck! I know how nerves can effect one's decision making process.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

acridlab

Agree with most posts above,, if dude is cutting into u like that, without even knowing u well, he's prolly doing the same with other people as well.. that equals a bunch of people knowing ur business.. not smart.. tell him no dank u

Let me simplify his offer for you.

"Can I have free money?"

You're taking all the risk, you're putting in the labor, and he wants to split with you? Screw that, if you get busted it's your HOUSE on the line. Head to Seattle and buy some good genetics. 20 bucks a clone or less. That's all that guy's services are worth. If you feel bad about dropping out offer to buy his plants from him $10 each for 15. Stay legal, especially when you're dealing with outsiders who are trying to cheat you. Remember, if you turn him down and still go over your limit the reward for turning in illegal growers is up to $5,000 these days.

Also, since when has Mr. Nice been in Eastern WA? And what does this hydro hut guys boss's partners brothers girlfriend have to do with anything, anyway? That hydro hut guy is trying to give you the old razzle-dazzle. Anyway, the people who work in hydro stores aren't usually very good at what they do. That's why they work in hydro stores instead of growin weed.

Last edited:

Calimed

Veteran
Totally not worth it. Maybe if he offered to pay u a pre-determined price per lb for the plants he wants you to grow.

I find partnerships very difficult in this industry where most think in terms of contracting and fuck everyone else.

Canadian Partner?

Canadian Partner?

I frequent a hydro store and have become friendly with some of the clerks. the other day, I was telling them how frustrated I was and was this close to hiring someone to come in a few hours a week to show me how I can fix this or that problem. I was approached later saying they would come and help me. I've always wanted to expand and grow some stuff in my greenhouse and I live fairly secluded. I mentioned this over a bowl or three and he mentions that his business partner has recently started doing some sort of project and he is going to be tending his gardens in the meantime and there are some extra plants he could put out in my greenhouse. we would then split the yield in half. I really like the idea and am very excited to do something this large but at the same time, I'm sort of nervous. I would be over my limit very easily as far as 15 plants. There are some other concerns like security because once in a blue moon, I will find a trespasser cutting through the property to get to the highway and they never seem like the savory type lol. also, and this is EXTREMELY rare, but the police come down my driveway looking for someone in the nearby trailor park. this would cause anyone who is lost which does happen about four or five times a year to drive right past the greenhouse within fifteen feet.

what type of things should I be thinking about or asking them? I'm just a simple patient who gets a little overloaded with all the info about growing that sometimes it can be frustrating. I have no experience in any business side of it or the legalities of what happens or if it does happen to patients that grow outside the limit. I only hear that they confiscate the extra plants but that just seems to good to be true. I don't think they're taking advantage of me since it was I who offered space to grow so when they come over to help me they can make it worth their time by tending to some plants. I would benefit a lot from their experience and the project their business partner is working on is really exciting. someday it would be awesome to be able to do something like that. they're fairly well known around these parts in the medical community and it would be an honor to learn from them really. so why am I so nervous?

sorry this is so long and I'm not sure if this is the right section or if I gave you the right info to give advice. I guess I'm mainly nervous about getting caught over my limit. I'm probably thinking 10-15 plants over the limit to give a better figure. we didn't even talk about how many plants.....oi

Were a group looking to apply under the new MMPR program...one strategy we're concentrating on is the ability to export to other countries LEGALLY as long as we have "proof of prescription" from the buyer.

We are very focused on this aspect as Canadian marijuana is some of (if not) the best in the world. We believe that we can make much larger gains and create a stable customer base in the US, Europe etc. What we are looking for a current patients in states that allow medical use, whom would be interested in providing consulting / knowledge on their local market and educate those other patients to the benefits of importing it as well, we would like our partners to be interested in eventually growing under our company banner in states that will eventually allow it.

If your interested, please message me or e-mail .......

As per all of the other comments, I fully agree, for the sake of such a small incremental value to you...it's not worth the risk, especially with someone your "gut" is telling you to check on.

Status
Not open for further replies.