What's new

Application of Nano PLC In A Growroom

Y

yamaha_1fan

So in short, if we get the right hardware, we can use these PLC's to control everything?

Is this similiar to growtronix? I know he may have had easier to use programming but same concept?

Could we use this to alert us if something happened like water on the floor, power failure, etc?

Seems real cool. I just wonder the cost and time involved versus buying a premade unit. I just bought a sentinel CHHC which will pretty much handle everything except lights and pumps for about $500

B

badugi

You don't need multi-thousand dollar PLC's to control your lighting system.

You can build your own DIY HPH's that will save you a bit of money, and perhaps invest in a MDT-1 (main interesting feature is the light shutoff feature tied to a thermostat, otherwise it's just an over-priced timer + DRT).

Last edited:
K

kelimmo

yamaha_1fan said:
So in short, if we get the right hardware, we can use these PLC's to control everything?

Is this similiar to growtronix? I know he may have had easier to use programming but same concept?

Could we use this to alert us if something happened like water on the floor, power failure, etc?

Seems real cool. I just wonder the cost and time involved versus buying a premade unit. I just bought a sentinel CHHC which will pretty much handle everything except lights and pumps for about $500

They can control almost anything you can imagine. And everything on one computer screen super easy and in the long run a lot cheaper than with different controllers for every function.

With a nano PLC you should be able to control anything the growtronix units can control.

I have a electronic water level sensor of conductivity type (the ones with just two stainless rods that detect conductivity between them) for use in big industrial water supply tanks. One of these combined with a GSM alert function could alert you when leaks occur.

My PLC was 160€ plus the co2 sensor around 350€. I know there are some cheaper sensors out there too but i'm still happy with my choice. The deal is that if or when i want the same unit to control, for example, humidity+temps+water levels+nutrient strenghts in a veg room from co2+lights+temps+alerts in a flowering room I just need to move the unit and switch out the sensors and won't have to buy new units for everything.

+ you can simulate all program features in advance when you set up a new program.

K

kelimmo

I ran out of relay channels on the old one.. here are the new toys:

picture.php

Let´s see what we can use those for :)

Olyver

NICE WORK Lava Surfer. Glad to see others are using PLCs to control multiple parameters. I've been using PLCs for years and they are very versatile. Software is free to obtain but the programming cable USB is expensive, check Ebay, you can purchase one for about half what SIEMENS charges.

Best Regards

Olyver

imnotcrazy,

How is the pH monitor/control segment of this series comming? I just received an IDEC FL1D-H12RCE Smart-relay with 2 FL1B-M08B2R2 expansion modules (a total of 16 digital Inputs, 12 24VDC Outputs). I also have an IDEC PS5R-D24 50W-24VDC power supply, along with some assorted Solid-state relays (w/24VDC inputs) and a DIN rail for mounting.

I would like to use this setup to automate pH and EC dosing, but sensors/probes are analog. Will I need to purchase an additional analog expansion module to accomplish the task? or will to 2 analog inputs (I7, I8) that are available be sufficient?

Ideally I would like to use this setup to monitor:

- Room air temperature
- Relative Humidity
- Ambient CO2
- pH probe
- EC probe
- Nutrient temperature
- Nutrient liquid level

And ideally to control:

- 240VAC ballast banks (2)
- 120VAC light banks (2)
- Dosing pumps (3)(1 pH up, 1 pH down, 1 EC)
- Fans (120VAC)
- Solenoid valve (CO2 regulator)
- Solenoid valves (water cooled reservoir chiller coil)
- Nutrient Pump (cycle-timed)
- Dehumidifier
- Air Conditioner
- Nutrient level top-off pump

I really hope to be able to use this Smart Realy (PLC) to run the whole show. With the hardware that I have in hand (aside from the need for additional rellays, solenoids, sensors and probes), is it possible to do everything that I would like to do?

If not, what other components are necessary?

Last edited:

Shlomo

Hey, does anyone know of a good, cheap temperature sensor that will provide the necessary 12v input? I'm just finally getting my system set up, I've got the programming more-or-less done, but I don't want to buy the wrong thing...

imnotcrazy,

So far I have my SmartRelays switching 2 sets of flip/flop contactor arrays that supply 12hr lighting cycles to 4 seperate flowering rooms. What would be the best way to add a high temperature monitor and primary power shut off if temps reach the over temp setpoint, all without affecting the flip-flop timing?

With regards to temperature monitoring, can I get by with just a thermocouple sensor? or will I need a temperature transmitter? Also, if they only output 1-5Vdc, how will I ensure the PLC cuts off power to the lighting if the over-temp setpoint is triggered?

Here are the temp/RH sensors I have in mind: http://www.omega.ca/shop/pptsc.asp?ref=EWS_WALL_MNT_ALL&Nav=temc07

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Hydrostatic: You really don't need an analog sensor for that project, you'd only need an adjustable temperature switch such as thermostats used for electric heating. That and an open digital input to tie it into. Program the cutoff in there accordingly, I'll see if I can't work something up....

imnotcrazy,

Would you be able to provide a link to, or direct me to an example of the sort of adjustable temperature switch you are referring to? I have 2 FL1D-RCA units, along with 2 FL1B-M08D2R2 I/O expansion modules. I have a total of 24 inputs and 16 outputs available, so far I've only used up 4 outputs for my 12/12 flips. Once I get the hang of programming these things, I'll probably automate a lot more.

When the High-Temp shut-off to the ballast power is triggered (like in the case of an AC failure), I would like to trigger exhaust fans to remove the excess heat and have it send me a text message notifying me that a problem has occurred. Hopefully, you guys out there with a lot of experience with this sort of thing will be able to help me out.

imnotcrazy, could you share with us what you have your SmartRelay doing for you right now,, as well as what you plan to eventually do with it in the future. It would seem that you have a lot of unused I/Os at your disposal.

Thanks again.

imnotcrazy,

Take a look at my most recent circuit diagram, it has thermostats that trigger the removal of primary power to the ballasts in the event of room temperature reaching/exceeding my pre-determined setpoint (100 deg. F). Exhaust fans are also activated to evacuate excess heat.

I would also like to have a text message sent to my mobile if the over-temp circuit is tripped, notifying me that I may have an equipment failure (AC icing up). Any idea of what additional equipment would be needed to enable this feature?

Please let me know if you see any ways to further optimize my current programming. This stuff is still really new to me, and I’m sure there are better, more efficient ways to get the job done. Thanks.

Stay Puft

I will add my 2 cents on the hardware.

To detect an Over-temp condition, you could use a simple thermostatic switch like this
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=317-1095-ND
That one triggers at ~140 deg. F. (many temperatures avail)
It cost about 7 dollars.

For the call-out/page function, You could use a Auto-Dialer that is typically used in alarm/monitoring systems. I use the model AD2000 dialer made by USP. Here is a random link to a vendor:
http://www.alarmsuperstore.com/dialers/dialers.htm
Cost should be $150 to 200. (more channels could indicate/inform more condition)
Regards,
Puft

Stay Puft,

Thank you for your input on hardware. Lately I have been overwhelmed by the vast number of sensors, thermistors, thermocouples, etc., etc. Under $7.00 per room, simple to setup/install, Thank you for narrowing my search.

With regards to the auto dialers, I am looking specifically for something that can send out SMS text messages directly to my mobile phone or email. I remembering seeing them years ago, but now that I need it, I cannot seem to find what I'm looking for.

Also, just for reference for those who wish to incorporate a SmartRelay into their gardens, it has come to my attention that Idec SmartRelays are actually produced by SIEMENS. SIEMENS version is branded LOGO micro-plc. The programming software is almost identical except for product model names and logos, and either software (Siemens LOGO!Soft Comfort or IDEC WindLGC) will function on either brand variants.

FRANKDETANK

IDEC software.

IDEC software.

Does anybodyy know where you can get a freeware copy of this software. i just ordered the smart relay but couldnt part with the extra $100 for the software. Also Has anybody figured out anyways to monitor it remotley. Through remote desktop or VNC for example. It should be next week and ill be sure to post any cool findings i come up with

FRANKDETANK,

I originally purchased my IDEC 'WindLGC' software suite off of eBay a while back for under $20.00, (brand new/unopened). A USB programming cable can be had for under $30.00 (shipping included). If you cannot find IDEC SmartRelay specific/branded hardware or software, take a look at the SIEMENS LOGO! Micro-PLC line-UP, they are the same hardware/software with minor differences in the firmware related to corporate branding. It is my understanding that SIEMENS produces or allows production under a licensing aggreement for the entire IDEC SmartRelay product line-up, (just re-branded LOGO! Micro-PLC clones).

I have recently tested SIEMENS 'LOGO!Soft Comfort' software suite against the IDEC SmartRelay hardware without any issues. Both the SIEMENS and IDEC software suites are essentially identical, aside from some minor differences like module models/versions designations and corporate branding. You might want to look for a full version of 'SIEMENS LOGO!Soft Comfort' available for download somewhere, I'm pretty sure you will have better luck finding what you need.

FRANKDETANK

I just got mine in yesterday and started playing with it. I think i may have ordered the wrong one though. i got the FL1d-h12rcc. I think I should have got the CE with the lower Dc inputs. Which Model are you using. I think messing with 12v dc will be alot easire/safer than the Varing A/C voltage. If anybody have anything to add to which model they feel is more productive, please chime in....thanks

I have 2 FL1D-H12RCE & 2 FL1B-M08B2R2 modules. I am only using one of each right now, with plenty of inputs left to play with. I will be using the other 2 modules, along with a couple more expansion modules to completely automate my irrigation systems for my next project.