What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ANYTHING OUTDOOR 2022 EVERYWHERE

Great outdoors

Anybody use coconut water as part of their feeding/watering regimen?

It's supposed to encourage root growth/multiplication, which I think might be part of my problem: the soil might not be soft and loamy enough for the roots to really, really thrive and if the roots aren't thriving and extensive and many, the plant's ability to take in nutrients from all of the EWC, chicken manure, frass, kelp, etc will be limited.
I use coconut water usually once a week but haven't yet this year. 15ml per liter. A typical 450ml can does two 5 gallon buckets. Great potassium, hormone and sugar hit.

Great outdoors

Well we finally got a few days of summer and things are starting to move along.

Island Sweet Skunk

PXL_20220627_161617246.jpg

Juicy fruit
PXL_20220627_161536965.jpg

Outdoor grapefruit

PXL_20220627_161509362.jpg

Purple maroc

PXL_20220627_161457140.jpg

moose eater

I too, used Alaska Fish for years. But the last 6yrs or so I have been able to get a locally made product called Pacific Fish. 2-3-0 cold pressed fish hydroslate. Fairly decent price, usually doesn't smell quite as bad, and a much better product IMO. Microbes, fungi and the plants love this stuff.
Possibly that Neptune's harvest sporting the same numbers is the same product.....
I too live in heavy bear country, and they are often in my yard but more interested in my fruit trees, berries and grapes. I do use fish, alfalfa and molasses, all bear attractants, but I will make sure to water after the feed to wash down the smells into the soil.
I have another fish-based product that (I believe) also shows the same or similar numbers; 2-3-0. It's called 'Fish-On' or 'Fish On', or something like that, but I was told a couple of years ago, by the same member who educated me about cold-pressed fish ferts, that my 'Fish On' (or what ever it's called) is not cold pressed, but otherwise processed, and likely with less available than the cold-pressed, better quality stuff.

I wish I could recall exactly which product GC was using..

And yes, just as with toxins in the water systems and land years ago, when the environmentalist folks would sometimes chant that "dilution is the solution to pollution," if the odors are limed, tilled, watered in, or otherwise mingled so that they're not stand-alone in nature, and sub-surface in that process, then I have yet to have bears come around.

You know what DOES get very much attracted to the mixing of large quantities of Alaska 5-1-1 Fish Fertilizer? (*we mix our garden ferts in Rubbermaid 33-Gallon (US) trash containers). The yellow jackets go APE SHIT over that stuff. Ends up with strategic watering practices, trying to avoid getting zapped by the devils!!

On the other hand, we have a sizable 2-phase compost out back, and while it sometimes has attracted irresponsible dog-owners' canines, ravens, gray jays, the odd (lost?) magpie (we didn't used to see magpies much further north than the North Foothills of the Alaska Range, but I saw one this Spring/Summer), an occasional moose, fox, or coyote, the last bear we had in the area that anyone actually saw was at the property of an older fellow down the road who ran a dog yard as part of his B&B maybe 20 years ago or more. His B&B was oriented toward Japanese Winter tourists, dog sled rides, and Northern Lights viewing. He ended up with a 2-3 yr. old grizzly cub in his dog yard, that basically just wanted to lick the empty bowls while the rather skinny husky-crosses trembled in fear. I arrived with my 12-gauge expecting to find dog entrails strewn along the cyclone fence perimeter of his dog yard, based on the mildly panicked report I'd been given over the phone, but such was not the case. Just a bunch of damp, shiney, very clean dog bowls and a bunch of still-trembling huskies.

Montuno

...como el Son...
Hoy; 1-Julio:
Flash Back 2° Ed (Flo X White Widow; Sweet Seeds; nacida el 15-Mayo).
Le he cortado los dos nudos (origen de 4 ramitas que apenas sobresalían del tallo) inferiores (los pequeños muretes de "La Perrera" sombrean la parte baja de las plantas) y sigo con la tierra de diatoméas, pues desde el suelo hasta un metro de altura, "La Perrera" es una nube de pequeños jóvenes saltamontes:

Today; 1-July:
Flash Back 2nd Ed (Flo X White Widow; Sweet Seeds; born 15-May)

IMG_20220701_121702.jpg
IMG_20220701_121723.jpg
IMG_20220701_121748.jpg

I have cut the two lower nodes (origin of 4 twigs that barely protruded from the stem) (the small walls of "La Perrera" shade the lower part of the plants) and I continue with the diatomaceous earth, because from the ground up to a meter high, "La Perrera" is a cloud of small young grasshoppers:

Montuno

...como el Son...
1-Julio:
King Congo (Congo Point Noire X South African Ciskei; Tropical Seeds Company; nacida el 15-Mayo).
Mostró preflores hembras al mes escaso de nacer (las otras dos variedades coetáneas, aún no).
Es la más alta de las 3 plantas coetáneas, y con mucho la más ramificado.
Aquí, he cortado otros 2 nudos inferiores o 4 ramitas más de los otros dos nudos cortados anteriormente; osea, le faltan las 8 ramitas inferiores:

1-July:
King Congo (Congo Point Noire X South African Ciskei; Tropical Seeds Company; born 15-May).
Showed female preflowers within a month of hatching (the other two coeval varieties, not yet).
It is the tallest of the 3 coeval plants, and by far the most branched.
Here, I have cut another 2 lower nodes or 4 more twigs from the two previously cut nodes, so it lacks the 8 lower twigs:

IMG_20220701_121535.jpg
IMG_20220701_121603.jpg
IMG_20220701_121635.jpg
IMG_20220701_121828.jpg
IMG_20220701_121831.jpg

Montuno

...como el Son...
1-Julio:
Zamaldélica fem [Zamal X (Golden Tiger); A.C.E.; nacida el 19-Mayo):

1-July:
Zamaldelica fem [Zamal X (Golden Tiger); A.C.E.; born 19-May):

Sí, @dubi : parece ser que había que esperar a que acabase de una vez la primavera, y por fin entrará el verano...para tener un alivio de frescor, je.
Hace días que no superó los 38°C (100'5°F) a la sombra. Pero más que la caída en 5°C en las máximas a la sombra diurnas (llegamos a fines de primavera a 43°C/109'5°F), ha sido el fin de la calima sahariana lo que nos deja dormir : de mínimas nocturnas de hasta 28°C/82'5°F, a las noches de entre 17 y 22 °C (62'6 y 71'6) de ahora, va un mundo; y el aire vuelve a refrescar si sopla, cuando antes quemaba.

Sí creo que nuestra Zamaldélica fem le ha afectado la ola de calor en algún grado, y ahora parece mejorar.
Le he cortado los dos nudos (origen de 4 ramitas que apenas sobresalían del tallo) inferiores (los pequeños muretes de "La Perrera" sombrean la parte baja de las plantas) y sigo con la tierra de diatoméas, pues desde el suelo hasta un metro de altura, "La Perrera" es una nube de pequeños jóvenes saltamontes.

Así estaba la Zamaldélica fem (nacida el 19-Mayo) apenas hace media hora:

Yes, @dubi : it seems that we had to wait for the spring to be over and for the summer to finally come in...to have a relief of freshness, heh.
It hasn't been above 38°C (100'5°F) in the shade for days now. But more than the 5°C drop in daytime highs in the shade (we reached 43°C/109'5°F in late spring), it was the end of the Saharan haze that let us sleep (from nighttime lows of up to 28°C/82'5°F, to nights of between 17 and 22°C (62'6 and 71'6) now, it's a world away; and the air gets cooler again if it blows, when it used to burn.

I do think our Zamaldelica fem has been affected by the heat wave to some degree, and now it seems to be getting better.
I have cut the two lower knots (origin of 4 twigs that barely protruded from the stem) (the small walls of "La Perrera" shade the lower part of the plants) and I continue with the diatomaceous earth, because from the ground up to a meter high, "La Perrera" is a cloud of small young grasshoppers.

This is how the Zamaldelica fem (born on May-19) was just half an hour ago:

View attachment 18728632 View attachment 18728633 View attachment 18728634 View attachment 18728635 View attachment 18728636

Montuno

...como el Son...
28-Junio:
Y hace 2 días (de cuando son las fotos) transplanté la MadMac's O. Haze X (Ultra Early Love Potion X Silver Bubble), que nació el 24-Junio:

28-June:
And 2 days ago (when the photos are from) I transplanted MadMac's O. Haze X (Ultra Early Love Potion X Silver Bubble), which was born on 24-June:

Three quarters of an hour ago, with the last rays of sun, I transplanted it to mother earth in "La Perrera", and sprayed it with diatomaceous earth dissolved in water with potassium soap.
Once released from the shell, it has quickly taken on a very healthy appearance with large initial leaves:

View attachment 18727953 View attachment 18727954 View attachment 18727955 View attachment 18727956

dirty-joe

Well we finally got a few days of summer and things are starting to move along.

Island Sweet Skunk

Juicy fruit
I was interested in Juicy fruit, have you grown it before, what is your opinion of it's quality ? Up buzz or sleepy buzz ?

Also the Island Sweet Skunk, but it is a little late for my preference.
Thanks

St. Phatty

Most of my seedlings recovered from The Heat.

I covered the dirt with leaves like somebody suggested.

It's about time to cut the growing tip, to promote branching.

I find that the side branches work better for clones, so I will probably just feed the trimmed plant tips to the animals. See what the cat does with it.