What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anything Outdoor 2018

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Really enjoying the show! Keep up the green work guys! Probably going to be taking some tops this week if I have to. Cold front and some rain on the way later this week! :smoke:

Photo from previous update

picture.php

CrushnYuba

Really enjoying the show! Keep up the green work guys! Probably going to be taking some tops this week if I have to. Cold front and some rain on the way later this week! :smoke:

View Image

Isn't that early for just about anywhere in the us? I don't know where 39n is. I know I'm kind of north but i don't have really anything thats tops are done before October21st

CrushnYuba

Yahooman: what is farmhard? They mail clones or something?

Vwkindbud: if you want automated watering but you have some remote patch without electricity, i have some dirt cheap solar pumping solutions. As long as you have a stream or some sort of water source. Would work well for gorilla growing of that's what you are doing.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys! Its a Deep chunk hybrid mix I've preserved. It has sour bubble, bubblegum, og kush, jamaican, bubba kush, and another afghan. Its very indica dominant, helps with muscle pain and fatigue! :smoke:

PDx Flowers are coming along well! Looking good! What kind of a container are you growing in?

bpb

View Image

Looking good pipeline!!! Your DC crosses have always been spectacular bro!!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks! Been a blessing to preserve this line. It will go up on the auction site later on this fall! :smoke:

think i give them about 18 gallons a day right now. It's water only. I don't liquid feed outdoor plants. Only greenhouse plants get liquid feedings. plants are in amended soil. Nothing during veg. I top dressed with chicken manure at the beginning of stretch. And i will do 2 or 3 top dressings of precipitated Bone meal and potash through flower. My soil mix is just on point. No liquid nutes, no tea. I do not shop at hydro stores.

Vwkindbud: yea i have a trim crew. I have allot of gardens. trim from holloween until spring rolls around. I also have trim machines. A crew bucks the dry bud off the stem. It goes through a dry trimmer. And then i pay a crew to touch it up with scissors.
Strain in picture is blue dream x skittlez x og from clone. They are just fabric pots. You never used a smart pot?
Why can't you have automated watering?

Seriously excellent soil, there.

Do you have a recipe you'd feel like sharing?

CrushnYuba

Seriously excellent soil, there.

Do you have a recipe you'd feel like sharing?

There are allot of ways to skin a cat. I do it as cheaply as possible. As long As it's fluffy, drains well but holds water, isn't hydrophobic, has enough nutrients in the right balance, and is verry alive and breaking down quickly, it works. It has to stay that way over the years. I treat my soil like compost piles. Whatever i throw in there decomposes fast and i keep introducing fresh organic material to keep it that way.
To start
For the base media 1/3 compost, 1/3 drainage material, 1/3 fluff.
The drainage material i do a mixture of lava rock and perlite. Mostly lava because lt lasts longer and doesn't float as easy. For the fluff i usually do mostly coco. Pine bark fines or peat is good to add fluff of you need to bring ph down.
Lots and lots of organic nitrogen and fresh organic material.
An easy one is (per yard)
37lbs of chicken manure pellets
2 lb of calphos
7.5 of fishbone
1.5 of langbineit(or potash depending on your water source
7.5 lbs of alfalfa

You can substitute Lots of things but the alfalfa isn't optional. It gets your mix cooking. It brings the soil alive and decomposes fast. You stick your hand in it when you first add allot of it and It's unbearably hot. If you have time to let out break down, put as much as you can in.

PDX Dopesmoker

Thanks guys! Its a Deep chunk hybrid mix I've preserved. It has sour bubble, bubblegum, og kush, jamaican, bubba kush, and another afghan. Its very indica dominant, helps with muscle pain and fatigue! :smoke:

PDx Flowers are coming along well! Looking good! What kind of a container are you growing in?

Thanks, I like the resin rails on your last photo, I almost would have guessed DC was in that one just from seeing that heavy resin on the undersides of the sugar leaf and the thick rails. My plants are in wood boxes mostly and a couple in pottery containers, nothing bigger than 4-5 gallons. I'll post more complete pictures when it starts to be time to bring them in, won't be too much longer on some. Like this Macob Kush for instance, its fading and starting to drop it's fan leaves and turn autumnal colors, looks not too far off from being done.
LMHb3gY.jpg

There are allot of ways to skin a cat. I do it as cheaply as possible. As long As it's fluffy, drains well but holds water, isn't hydrophobic, has enough nutrients in the right balance, and is verry alive and breaking down quickly, it works. It has to stay that way over the years. I treat my soil like compost piles. Whatever i throw in there decomposes fast and i keep introducing fresh organic material to keep it that way.
To start
For the base media 1/3 compost, 1/3 drainage material, 1/3 fluff.
The drainage material i do a mixture of lava rock and perlite. Mostly lava because lt lasts longer and doesn't float as easy. For the fluff i usually do mostly coco. Pine bark fines or peat is good to add fluff of you need to bring ph down.
Lots and lots of organic nitrogen and fresh organic material.
An easy one is (per yard)
37lbs of chicken manure pellets
2 lb of calphos
7.5 of fishbone
1.5 of langbineit(or potash depending on your water source
7.5 lbs of alfalfa

You can substitute Lots of things but the alfalfa isn't optional. It gets your mix cooking. It brings the soil alive and decomposes fast. You stick your hand in it when you first add allot of it and It's unbearably hot. If you have time to let out break down, put as much as you can in.

Thanks!

That's my philosophy as well. I use a mix that is very close to that, but maybe next season I'll add alfalfa to mine.

I compost ALL household vegetable waste, throwing in whatever seafood shells and bones happen to be left over from my dinners as well.

Are you talking about fresh alfalfa? Dried and baled?

Good info, and I agree that a soil has to be ALIVE to give the roots good company.

Regarding readiness at northern latitudes, I have two Triple Cheese that are almost ready, so it does happen.

CrushnYuba

Thanks!

That's my philosophy as well. I use a mix that is very close to that, but maybe next season I'll add alfalfa to mine.

I compost ALL household vegetable waste, throwing in whatever seafood shells and bones happen to be left over from my dinners as well.

Are you talking about fresh alfalfa? Dried and baled?

Good info, and I agree that a soil has to be ALIVE to give the roots good company.

Regarding readiness at northern latitudes, I have two Triple Cheese that are almost ready, so it does happen.

Damn. Yea my buddy here yesterday was saying oct 1st he sees the first outdoors drop. But neither me or him have ever really had outdoor strains that finish that fast. We also tend to pick stretchy plants for outdoor.

You can use any type of alfalfa. I personally get the compressed pellets from the feed store and expand them in water until it turns into alfalfa meal. Just because it's cheap and easy. The bailed stuff does take longer to break down, so you have to have more time between amending and planting.
You can do a cover crop if your climate supports it. Here cover crops rage all winter. But if it freezes, it doesn't work as well.

My compost piles were not breaking down fast enough, so using alfalfa was recommended as a compost "activator". Before i used some alfalfa but to me it was mainly for a N source. Once i started using green manures the way i do, it was a game changer. All of my amendments break down super quick, and i don't need to waste time with silly things like brewing compost teas.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
think i give them about 18 gallons a day right now. It's water only. I don't liquid feed outdoor plants. Only greenhouse plants get liquid feedings. plants are in amended soil. Nothing during veg. I top dressed with chicken manure at the beginning of stretch. And i will do 2 or 3 top dressings of precipitated Bone meal and potash through flower. My soil mix is just on point. No liquid nutes, no tea. I do not shop at hydro stores.

Vwkindbud: yea i have a trim crew. I have allot of gardens. trim from holloween until spring rolls around. I also have trim machines. A crew bucks the dry bud off the stem. It goes through a dry trimmer. And then i pay a crew to touch it up with scissors.
Strain in picture is blue dream x skittlez x og from clone. They are just fabric pots. You never used a smart pot?
Why can't you have automated watering?

Yea I could probably rig up some automated watering. It's well water.....but hiding all the lines and things. It's so different in illegal areas guys. Your first thought is how to hide everything to the extreme. We could never have a plant that size and not get caught....a helicopter, neighbors, somebody would spot it, or nosy neighbors would wonder what your doing. These southern neighbors are different kinda nosy lol. I'm gonna be working on some container ers for next yr and maybe gonna try to rig up some type of automated watering. But if this rainy pattern continues next yr I'm gonna need something besides automated watering lol.

Yes I've used smart pots lol, but those container you guys use that are 500' 1000-2000 gal are homeade I assume?? I've just been wondering if they might be plastic lined inside. I've been thinking/noticing that my plants seem to grow better in a plastic container opposed to fabric. That's all, I was just thinking you guys might have plastic lined insides. I've got a smart pot I put a garbage bag inside of that growing very good....better than if I hadn't put a garbage bag inside it.

Some great pics PDX, Pipeline and others!!!!

I've had some early finishing strains DFG from Realgorilla is a definite Sept finisher. Even most of these Critical Sour from Female Seeds I've harvest weren't harvest early. I've always waited alot longer to harvest than most guys. I've usually waited a extra wk-2 after I think/know there ready....at least a WK. But 100% DFG is ready mid September, and Critical Sour mid-late Sept- I definitely don't see any circumstances that DFG would need more time than a late Sept harvest...39n

caliprop215

Veteran
1/2 a pound for this plant.....

1lb?

2lb?

Any guesses?

4 ft tall. 7 foot diameter.

I hate counting my chickens before they hatch but man its hard to wait LOL:biggrin:

Attachments

• 20180920_083917.jpg
    20180920_083917.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180920_083531.jpg
    20180920_083531.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 9
Damn. Yea my buddy here yesterday was saying oct 1st he sees the first outdoors drop. But neither me or him have ever really had outdoor strains that finish that fast. We also tend to pick stretchy plants for outdoor.

You can use any type of alfalfa. I personally get the compressed pellets from the feed store and expand them in water until it turns into alfalfa meal. Just because it's cheap and easy. The bailed stuff does take longer to break down, so you have to have more time between amending and planting.
You can do a cover crop if your climate supports it. Here cover crops rage all winter. But if it freezes, it doesn't work as well.

My compost piles were not breaking down fast enough, so using alfalfa was recommended as a compost "activator". Before i used some alfalfa but to me it was mainly for a N source. Once i started using green manures the way i do, it was a game changer. All of my amendments break down super quick, and i don't need to waste time with silly things like brewing compost teas.

To be fair, I'm letting the 3Ch go another week.
That'll take it to Sept 27th. I don't see any amber yet, but as soon as I do, one of them is coming down.
The second one I'll let go another week or two, to early Oct.

Ah, that's why you put alfalfa in... I use grass clippings, and even though we get a hard freeze here, my compost is ready by late spring. I load chicken shit in there, hay from the nesting box, all manner of veggie waste, a smattering of leaves and bark plus worm casting rich soil from the forest edge along the yard. It's practically ALL worm poop, undisturbed for a few decades.

I check where the hens scratch and when I find an area where the worms had been partying, I scoop as much as I can out. Usually 3 gallons in each spot!

That stuff fed my plants very well all season; they look and smell great!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran

1lb?

2lb?

Any guesses?

I hate counting my chickens before they hatch but man its hard to wait LOL:biggrin:

Hey there he is.....I've been wondering about you and this lovely plant. I dunno I'd definitely bet a few pounds there 3-5....it's so hard to guess on outdoor plants . But I'm sure you've got good thick hard buds with all that Cali rain. One of the nicest plants of the yr. Great tying and everything you did to her. Good luck on the harvest.

PDX Dopesmoker

1lb?

2lb?

Any guesses?

Count up how many branches you think you have and then come up with an estimate for how much you think is going to come off an average looking branch. Thats how I develop my own estimates. I have one plant with 28 branches makes things really easy to guess with that one.