What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anything Outdoor 2018

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smart phones kept breaking screens on me because of moisture working in rain and sweat, so I got a flip phone that's military grade! I can text in the rain now, its great!

Was looking in my old gallery and found a couple cool shots of the mountains. Thought I'd post them here to illustrate the wilderness some of us are growing in. I love the mountains, been a couple years!

6940mountains_divide_view.jpg

6940mountains_stream2.jpg

6940mountains_breaking_light.jpg

6940mountains_streambed.jpg

6940mountains_black_bear.jpg

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Great pics Pipeline.....at least there's no flash flooding outta that hollar. Many love the mtns but at the same time they can be very dangerous. Always cool to admire/look at the photos

Dank still looking great buddy.....those are just insanely huge

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I was about �� that was smokey mtns TN.....always easy for me to notice. Alot of vacations spent there

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
The last camera I bought 10 yrs ago at least $200 wasn't as good as my iPhone camera. So I've used phone cams since. But you and pipeline have good cameras no doubt about that.

And yes when I started this thread it was meant to be a loosely outdoor growing thread. We get off topic sometimes, especially myself from time to time lol.....along with some rambling.

Dankwolf is on another level of growing. He's got the biggest plants you'll probably see anywhere this yr.

PDX Dopesmoker

Smart phones kept breaking screens on me because of moisture working in rain and sweat, so I got a flip phone that's military grade! I can text in the rain now, its great!

Was looking in my old gallery and found a couple cool shots of the mountains. Thought I'd post them here to illustrate the wilderness some of us are growing in. I love the mountains, been a couple years!

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

That black bear encounter looks like it was no joke. Did you survive?

PDX Dopesmoker

Good comparison but really we dont get real results with seeds. The dif in phenos is crazy. If this was a clone comparison i would start watering from the bottom some how

Yeah clones would take variable out for sure, too bad growing from seed is more fun. I could have taken a similar picture a month ago and then reversed how I was watering the plants to see if the littler one caught up too. Maybe next summer.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Black bears are pretty peaceful for the most part. People stop along side the road to see them. I think that's when I took the shot. I have seen an adolescent black bear on the side of the trail before. I was blessed some kind folks on horseback had just passed it before I got to it to warn me. They said don't worry its a little one. Haha. I was by myself hiking up to Mt Camerrer firetower! I love to run those trails!

Actually I just have a couple hundred dollar Cannon camera. Its not top of the line by any means. Its hard to beat these phones for pictures. The Cannon is pretty good too though. Its just a security issue I wanted to avoid. I don't particularly like the thought of a little gps in my pocket recording when and where I am. I think there are tools the government can use to gather data you may not know is being collected about where the phone is. They have location capable technology. Just saying. Mountain buds seems to think he's got it figured out. He may know something about it I dont.

I haven't heard from mountain buds for a while. He must be busy working! God bless America!

Supposed to get more rain tomorrow! Another inch possible!

Back to breeding. The line I have been preserving is close to inbred line. Its derived from inbred/ true breeding lines like Deep Chunk and sour bubble. How do I get it back to Inbred line status? That's what Hill Temple Collective is working on. Stabilizing the line in its ideal phenotype. Bub's a talented breeder. I have been impressed with his work in the past. I bet I would need to grow out and select from several hundred at least to get it to inbred line status.

That way all the plants flower on time. One of my plants is in the sun but way behind. One of the plants big betsy with 7 heads was lanky and fast growing and snapped. Need to weed out these outliers and magnify the desirable traits in this line so its true breeding! God is worthy to be praised! I don't claim to know anything except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2 Your faith should not be in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. 1 Corinthians 2:5

2010 parents of the line

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Bubba Kush x bubblegum

picture.php

Sour Bubble bx3 x Sour Bubble bx4

picture.php

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yea on the other side outta seivreville I always saw bears at various wide spots/ look outs along the road.

Think I saw MB on here last wk. I'm sure he's busting ass.

I kinda worry about phones even though I don't have a cell account or signal. Mainly just use mine for internet. Were still in the 80s around here....probably never have cell service . Same thing with internet.....if they wanna find out something they'd dive into there.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A 2005 thread by Gypsy Nirvana about inbreeding.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=17570

Posted by Gypsy Nirvana:

Enthusiasts preserve rare varieties of plants because their genes may prove useful to growers/breeders in the future, but at the same time the low numbers of the plants involved means that it runs the risk of becoming unhealthily inbred.

When trying to bring a strain back from the point of extinction, the introduction of 'new genetics' through crossing with an unrelated strain is usually a last resort because it can change the very character of the strain/variety being preserved. In livestock, successive generations of progeny must be bred back to a purebred ancestor for 6 - 8 generations before the offspring can be considered truly purebred themselves.......With cannabis you could say that we can achieve virtual stability after 4 generations and any further generations in-bred there-off may show some form of in-breeding depression or could even show something better!! .....

....Most cannabis breeders are well aware of potential pitfalls associated with inbreeding although it is very tempting for a novice to continue to use one or two closely related lines in order to preserve or improve a strain. Breeding to an unrelated line of the same strain (wherever possible) or out crossing to another variety (wherever permissible) can certainly ensure vigour. Despite the risk of importing a few undesirable traits which may take a while to successfully breed out, and here the skill and patience of the breeder comes much into play....

...OUT-CROSSING: can prevent a breed from stagnating by introducing fresh genes into the gene pool. It is important to outcross to a variety of different plants, considered to be genetically 'sound' .....(do any of their previous offspring exhibit undesirable traits?) .....and preferably not closely related to each other.

Question:....How can you tell if a breed/strain or line is becoming too closely inbred?

..One sign can be that the variety or strain gets more prone too disease..... Mutations such as whorled philotaxy, unusual leaf shape and plant size (dwarfism or gigantism) and reduced calyx production/size can also effect fertilization and procreation as well as growth. There can also be an up-side where the plants can exhibit new and interesting colours/yeilds e.t.c......you never can tell exactly what the plants will show through mutation.......it could be something that a breeder is looking for and is actually quite happy to find....

Sometimes a fault can be traced to a single male or female which should be removed from the breeding program even if it does exhibit exceptional type. If its previous progeny are already breeding it is very tempting for many breeders to think 'Pandora's Box' is quite obviously already open and the damage done so I'll turn my back on the truth!.......this is not good...

Ignoring the fault and continuing to breed from the plant will cause the faulty genes to become even more widespread in the line, causing problems later on if its descendants are bred together and the negative traits are not successfully bred out.

..Conclusion.....:

...Inbreeding is what you might call a two-edged sword. Upon reflection and on the one hand a certain amount of inbreeding can most definitely fix and improve a variety/strain or breed tremendously to produce excellent quality plants or even animals........On the other hand, excessive inbreeding can limit the gene pool so that the breed loses any vigour what-so-ever.

....Strains in the early stages of development are most vulnerable as populations can be small and the plants may be closely related to one another. It is up to the responsible breeder to balance inbreeding against various crossings with unrelated plants in order to maintain the overall health of the line/strain or breed concerned........

...Inbreeding can produce outstanding results initially....but eventually to maintain distinct vigour it is absolutely necessary to introduce new genetic material to prevent in-breeding depression and eventual extinction of the line.......Once again here the skill of the breeder comes into play to try and preserve the line by introducing plants that mostly have recessive traits that will not dominate when paired with the in-bred line....

picture.php

picture.php

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I gotta go in for a minor procedure early in the morning guys. They'll have to put me to sleep/aensynisia....can't really spell it. But hopefully things go ok it's just them putting a lite down into my stomach. I always get a little nervous with any procedure.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Great to have any links from Gypsy uploaded. I think I remember reading that, I've chucked some pollen but I'm not calling it breeding.

To me Breeders have to have a large selection of plants. Wether it's several large indoor areas or multilpe spaces. I've had some nice areas to possible breed. But growing/breeding in the same area is kinda hard. I chose to be good at growing instead of breeding. Really to do things right you'd really need a seperate room or space to have your males. But a lot of guys that chuck pollen have great crosses. A old friend of mine that's still on here makes great crosses. He doesn't have a large selection of material to work with. It's fun though....I had a beautiful True Blueberry Male from DJ in the first batch of those TB he released

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I gotta go in for a minor procedure early in the morning guys. They'll have to put me to sleep/aensynisia....can't really spell it. But hopefully things go ok it's just them putting a lite down into my stomach. I always get a little nervous with any procedure.

I'm praying for you, brother!

God, thank you for always being with us throughout our lives. In the good times and in times of uncertainty, you are always there protecting us, guiding us, healing us, giving us peace. Help us to trust in your perfect plan, as we live for you. I ask that you be with wvkindbud tomorrow as he goes in for an exam. Let him feel your presence and your peace. I ask that you be with the doctors and help them focus and guide them, Lord, so they can do their work quickly and without injury. I ask that your presence be felt tomorrow, and that Your Name is magnified. I pray that by the power of your spirit heal wvkindbud. I ask that you keep him safe, Lord, so he can be a better, stronger servant for you. You said in your Word when we are weak, we are made stronger because we are forced to depend on you. I ask for loving guidance and protection so we may continue to do your will. Thank you God! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen

picture.php

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I feel like I'm making some progress with breeding. Its just low level breeding work. It can be fine tuned later on. I get to select which females make it to the next generation. Just have to depend on God to line up the right combinations. Got a keeper male this year, that champion Deep Chunk! Can't wait until next year to see the progeny grown out!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Good luck bro. :huggg: I don't pray but this rip is for you :biggrin:

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor

Good luck wvk with your procedure. Stay positive as you always seem to do around here. Bless. :)

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
As you fall asleep, you'll go into a stupor and ask the Doc if he wants to buy some weed from this year's crop. lol

I got your back. I have a highspeed rosary I use when ever I fly. I'll pull it out for you. Works great! :dance013: