What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone using jacks 5-12-26 and calnit in coco?

HG23

Hey guys,

I just got my tap water analysed and came up with the following results...

Hardness =61 mg/L CaCO3
Alkalinity =59 mg/L CaCO3 (bicarbonate)
Calcium =19 mg/L
Magnesium=3.2mg/L
TDS =100mg/L

I've been using Jack's in roots soil with pretty good results and am trying some coco this run. I just transplanted a few days ago and everything looks good so far. I'm interested in maybe trying out spurr's profiles for flowering because they seem well thought out and I think it would be a good starting point to delve into mixing my own salts. I've read the thread on his DIY method and am planning to try the profiles without the remineralization part. I have hydrobuddy and entered my water's information in the appropriate place and got the numbers right where I want them. I'm waiting to order all the salts because I wanted to post here and ask if anyone has tried his numbers in coco recently and to check your opinions on the profiles for coco in combination with my water quality numbers.

Early Flowering (during stretch):
NO3=128
NH4=32
P= 30
K= 230
Ca= 133.3
Mg= 76.7
S= 100
Si= 100
Fe= 2
Zn= .075
B= .3
Mn= .75
Cu= .03
Mo= .045
Na= .02

Full flowering:
NO3= 128
NH4=32
P= 90
K= 200
Ca= 133.3
Mg= 66.7
S= 60
Si= 90
Fe= 2
Zn= .075
B= .3
Mn= .75
Cu= .03
Mo= .045
Na= .02

A

ak-51

I have decided to try out Jack's Hydro + Calcium Nitrate.

If making a concentrated liquid stock solution, is it necessary to keep the Hydro and the Cal.Nit. separate? Is it like Canna Coco A + B where if you mix them then junk precipitates out?

D

dramamine

Yup, gotta keep them apart. I do three pounds to a gallon of water and shake them periodically for a few days. Works great and saves a ton of time.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
^curious how you're measuring up after having made your 1 Gal Concentrates?

Are you going by PPM/EC or have you figured a good liquid measurement of using your 3lb concentrates?

D

dramamine

^curious how you're measuring up after having made your 1 Gal Concentrates?

Are you going by PPM/EC or have you figured a good liquid measurement of using your 3lb concentrates?

I use around 40ml of each solution per five gallons of water, which gives me around EC 1.3. I have some old Canna bottles that have the nifty measuring device on the spout, so I use those for actual dosing. Couldn't be easier.

A

ak-51

Getting hot water at my location is slightly more difficult than getting cold water, so I was wanting to just do a hot dissolve into a stock solution, then I wouldn't have to get hot water every time I had to refill the rez.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
I'm unsure if the same applies to Jacks + CalNit, but when using Maxibloom I learned that you do not want to use hot water to dissolve... can cause binding or whatever. Wasnt until I started throwing it in a bucket of cold RO w/ recirculating pump did I get large amounts to easily dissolve.

Not sure if it'd be the same issue with Jacks. It dissolves super easy for me in a bucket (few gallons) with a pump. I then dump that into my large res.

The Mg, Ca, and Fe in maxibloom are in a meta-stable soluble state when dissolved in cold water. The concentrated hot dilution method does not and will not ever work since it provides the activation energy to form the insoluble Ca3(PO4)2 (Ksp=2.07x10^-33), Mg3(PO4)2 (Ksp=1.04x10-24), and FePO4(Ksp=9.91x10-16). The solubility constant (Ksp) defines the thermodynamics governing the solubility of a particular salt. Thus calcium has the lowest solubility next is magnesium finally iron phosphate happens to be a little more soluble. Heat is what provides the activation energy to form these highly insoluble salts which are practically impossible to redissolve. so we should all be in agreement that best practice is not to heat maxibloom. I think 50 ppm calcium is recommended for plants which comes to 1.25x10-3 M. If you heat maxi the max conc of calcium at equilibrium would be 4.9x10-7 M. This is 0.039% of recommended Ca similar levels for Mg and Fe would precipitate the deficiencies. Aged maxibloom that turns hard in solid form is forming these product thus the insolubles. This is probably why is not good to use old wet maxi. Keep in a sealed contain since the reseal ziplock on the bag is shite.

D

dramamine

FF, I had the binding issue specifically with the cal-nit and hot water....won't do that again. Good call.

A

ak-51

I could swear I read something from JR Peters that said to use hot water to dissolve the powder into a stock solution. Something about the reaction being endothermic...

Is it just the calcium nitrate that is the problem?

I have a pump that recirculates my reservoir. And when I mix my nutrients I usually do it while the hose is filling it up, so there's quite a bit of agitation going on during the process. Maybe that'll be enough to thoroughly dissolve everything. I could always just go get a cheap shitty blender from Goodwill to use just for that.

Fresh Start

The 20-20-20 Jacks classic will work fine. My buddy uses it and he pulls green frosty buds.

I had some clones that I experimented on in rock-wool by not using any nutrient doses when taking the cuttings. I only put G-rex and T-rex (CES mycology and beneficials) with ph'd water. They got beat up badly when my nursery temps started to dip in the 50's.

I've had the jacks hydro/cal-nit product for some time now but I have yet to really run it.
So I took the beat up clones that were cannibalizing themselves (turning yellow all over) and I transplanted them into a coco perlite mix and watered using jacks and OG biowar Nute/Root packs that I brewed in a bucket.

Great comeback results. Everyday I can't wait to see how they are improving. I'm also enjoying the quality of green growth on the clones. Very symmetrical and lush green.

I mix jacks @ 1/.67 Hydro/Cal-Nit with an EC meter.
I might start mixing by weight and adding Epsom salts

Fresh Start

I'm using jacks in pure coco and I'm seeing magnesium deficiency's pop up. Im also using stock solutions and mixing them according to ppm @ the .67 ratio. Does anyone know how to add Epsom salts according to ppm so that it stays in the correct ratio? I know by weight it's 3-2-1 jacks hydro, cal/nit , Epsom salts- but what about by ppm? I'm also interested in making an Epsom salt stock solution if anyone knows how.

If you are using Jacks with a really pure RO water, you might benefit from their M.O.S.T. (micro nute product) Other than that there does seem to be mention here and there of adding epsom salts, I have not done that yet.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I would be running Jacks if it wasn't for shipping cost. None of the hydro stores carry it- why would they when they can rape you with all their other over priced crap.
From JR Peters:
5-12-26 $30-4lbs
cal-nit--$30-4lbs
shipping here 8lbs- $53
$113 for 8lbs
Local hydo store $107-16lbs of Maxibloom

hempchimp

ok tell u what has been working for me. first I mix jack 2 part 1/2 tsp each per gallon.And then I mix 1/2 tsp cal nitrate to 1/4 tsp epson salt to a seperate gallon. now you have a gallon of each so when I water my plants I alternate back and forth. depending on the size of plant and container depends on how many times a day that you water. now that is using hempy buckets with coco perlite and I know longer have mag defeciancy. hope that might help somebody else with there problems. I sure know that I have recieved lots of help from others on these grow forums and really apreciate it.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
gorilla Glue #4 done with jacks in coco.
picture.php

Weeded1s

Lookin titties bro. Where'd the gorilla glue come from...forum cut? Or seed? Just assuming there is a forum cut since everyone likes and grows the 4.